Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fair enough
    • By fair enough 6th May 19, 11:39 AM
    • 24Posts
    • 13Thanks
    fair enough
    BB or WiFi speed?
    • 6th May 19, 11:39 AM
    BB or WiFi speed? 6th May 19 at 11:39 AM
    NowTV BB tell me I am getting 20meg supplied to my router but my 0.4-7.5meg speed on wifi is beyond their control.
    They have suggested the lights in the room and water in the radiators would impact - surely if this is the case it is unlikely anyone gets decent Wifi.

I was getting speeds in excess of 17meg on the same device, there are only 3 connected (TV and 2 phones), same (new) router in the same location etc.

Am I being fed BS? Any tips? Can they really wipe their hands because it is Wifi and not BB>
Page 2
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 11th May 19, 7:03 PM
    • 2,303 Posts
    • 1,968 Thanks
    Carrot007
    Make all tests though wired. Any other ways proves nothing.

Buy a decent wifi rouuter and stop expecting the cheap useless things ALL providers offer is any good for all situations. (Do test through wired first though in case it is the bb).
    • Takmon
    • By Takmon 12th May 19, 12:19 PM
    • 586 Posts
    • 556 Thanks
    Takmon
    Thanks for replies.

I have not connected via wire as the devices i am using are Wifi (Firestick and phone).
    We only have 4 devices connected, i have used an app to discover least used channel and am actually the only person in area on it.

NOW TV have now issued a deadlock message.
    Some of their most worrying/puzzling comments are:
    wifi works best without electrical items in the same same (by definition their business model of NOW "TV" is somewhat flawed.
    that wifi speed checkers dont work
    that no company will help with wifi as they provide broadband (why do routers have wifi mode?)
    Originally posted by fair enough
    What Wi-Fi channel have you chosen?; you should only use channels 1, 6 or 11 because these are the only three channels that don't overlap and every Wi-Fi network should be on them. If you choose any other channel then you are causing interference for the other channels and this can cause Wi-Fi issues.
    • fair enough
    • By fair enough 14th May 19, 11:13 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    fair enough
    Yes, this has actually improved it slightly, thank you (wonder why nowtv didn't suggest that).
    It still isn't great though. Literally one min 17meg the next 5meg, then 11meg and then drops to less than 1meg.
    Same devices, same room, same speed checker and all within a couple of minutes.
    Plays havoc with streaming my nowtv.
    • fair enough
    • By fair enough 14th May 19, 11:15 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    fair enough
    What Wi-Fi channel have you chosen?; you should only use channels 1, 6 or 11 because these are the only three channels that don't overlap and every Wi-Fi network should be on them. If you choose any other channel then you are causing interference for the other channels and this can cause Wi-Fi issues.
    Originally posted by Takmon
    Was told by nowtv to pick a channel no one else is on. I am on channel 4.
    • Takmon
    • By Takmon 14th May 19, 11:27 AM
    • 586 Posts
    • 556 Thanks
    Takmon
    Yea so channel 4 overlaps channels 1 and 6, so anyone on channels 1 and 6 (plus any channels in between) will cause you problems with your Wi-Fi. This actually causes more problems than if your all on the same channel!.

If lots of people are all on channels other than 1, 6 or 11 then that would mean you have little hope of getting a consistent speed over Wi-Fi.

Your best bet is too split the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels and use 5Ghz for your mobiles (modern mobiles will supports this) because 5Ghz doesn't have the same issues with the channels. Then you want to hard wire anything you can such as Now TV boxes.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 14th May 19, 11:33 AM
    • 3,811 Posts
    • 1,120 Thanks
    AndyPK
    yeah using a cable to the nowtv box would be an interesting experement for a week or so.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 14th May 19, 11:40 AM
    • 12,533 Posts
    • 5,645 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    If blaming wifi then its time to buy or borrow a wifi router to test .
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 15th May 19, 6:33 AM
    • 8,180 Posts
    • 7,015 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Try setting the router to automatically select the best channel. Have you tried moving the router? Put it as high as possible and keep the cables away from other cables.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,050Posts Today

6,945Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter Poll: It's said we're divided between the haves and the have-nots. Which group do you feel you are in?

• Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• Follow Martin