Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fair enough
    • By fair enough 6th May 19, 11:39 AM
    • 24Posts
    • 13Thanks
    fair enough
    BB or WiFi speed?
    • 6th May 19, 11:39 AM
    BB or WiFi speed? 6th May 19 at 11:39 AM
    NowTV BB tell me I am getting 20meg supplied to my router but my 0.4-7.5meg speed on wifi is beyond their control.
    They have suggested the lights in the room and water in the radiators would impact - surely if this is the case it is unlikely anyone gets decent Wifi.

I was getting speeds in excess of 17meg on the same device, there are only 3 connected (TV and 2 phones), same (new) router in the same location etc.

Am I being fed BS? Any tips? Can they really wipe their hands because it is Wifi and not BB>
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 6th May 19, 11:51 AM
    • 12,529 Posts
    • 5,644 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 6th May 19, 11:51 AM
    • 6th May 19, 11:51 AM
    now TV reply is basically correct.

Though its more like channels postition of router or network settings on devices .

Open router .Advanced settings Broadband Internet to check speed at router .

https://www.metageek.com/training/resources/why-channels-1-6-11.html
    Last edited by JJ Egan; 06-05-2019 at 12:48 PM. Reason: mistooks
    • macman
    • By macman 6th May 19, 12:16 PM
    • 43,308 Posts
    • 18,493 Thanks
    macman
    • 6th May 19, 12:16 PM
    • 6th May 19, 12:16 PM
    Use a pair of Powerline Networking plus rather than wi-fi from router to TV/box.
    Wi-fi speed is beyond their control as they don't know how thick the walls of the property are, whether made of plasterboard or 3 foot of solid stone or masonry, or how far apart the router is from the device.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 6th May 19, 12:19 PM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 650 Thanks
    Mister G
    • 6th May 19, 12:19 PM
    • 6th May 19, 12:19 PM
    BT reply is basically correct.

Though its more like channels postition of router or network settings on devices .

Open BT router .Advanced settings Broadband Internet to check speed at router .

https://www.metageek.com/training/resources/why-channels-1-6-11.html

You have BT members Help >> Community Forum for BT advise as well .
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    But the OP is on NowTV, not BT
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 6th May 19, 12:47 PM
    • 12,529 Posts
    • 5,644 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 6th May 19, 12:47 PM
    • 6th May 19, 12:47 PM
    But the OP is on NowTV, not BT
    Originally posted by Mister G

My error i read BB as BT for some reason .

I have BT OR FTTP / BT Adastral Park on my mind at present .
    Last edited by JJ Egan; 06-05-2019 at 1:02 PM.
    • fair enough
    • By fair enough 6th May 19, 1:15 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    fair enough
    • 6th May 19, 1:15 PM
    • 6th May 19, 1:15 PM
    Router is plugged into master socket and in the same room as the TV - circa 3m away.

How can it be ok one month and so drastically poor the following, nothing in my house has changed, I don't know about all neighbours but believe nothing is different in the nearest couple.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 6th May 19, 2:09 PM
    • 12,529 Posts
    • 5,644 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 6th May 19, 2:09 PM
    • 6th May 19, 2:09 PM
    Failed router possible but unlikely .
    Test with direct Ethernet .

Test Wifi ouput using phone app standing next to the router.Then walk across room and test .

Factory reset router .
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 6th May 19, 2:25 PM
    • 3,811 Posts
    • 1,120 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 6th May 19, 2:25 PM
    • 6th May 19, 2:25 PM
    have your tried turning the router off for 5 mins and back on ?

Run a speed test while in the same room at router (before and after)

I have been having a few issues with the speed dropping below 1mbps
    • Croft12
    • By Croft12 7th May 19, 9:27 AM
    • 136 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Croft12
    • 7th May 19, 9:27 AM
    • 7th May 19, 9:27 AM
    NowTV BB tell me I am getting 20meg supplied to my router but my 0.4-7.5meg speed on wifi is beyond their control.
    They have suggested the lights in the room and water in the radiators would impact - surely if this is the case it is unlikely anyone gets decent Wifi.

I was getting speeds in excess of 17meg on the same device, there are only 3 connected (TV and 2 phones), same (new) router in the same location etc.

Am I being fed BS? Any tips? Can they really wipe their hands because it is Wifi and not BB>
    Originally posted by fair enough

If the connection is fine but the wifi is not then its nearly always congestion. Lights/other routers/ cordless phones etc can all cause interfearance on channels
    • Cisco001
    • By Cisco001 7th May 19, 12:56 PM
    • 3,072 Posts
    • 1,324 Thanks
    Cisco001
    Have you run speedtest with device plug in?
    • fair enough
    • By fair enough 10th May 19, 4:09 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    fair enough
    Thanks for replies.

I have not connected via wire as the devices i am using are Wifi (Firestick and phone).
    We only have 4 devices connected, i have used an app to discover least used channel and am actually the only person in area on it.

NOW TV have now issued a deadlock message.
    Some of their most worrying/puzzling comments are:
    wifi works best without electrical items in the same same (by definition their business model of NOW "TV" is somewhat flawed.
    that wifi speed checkers dont work
    that no company will help with wifi as they provide broadband (why do routers have wifi mode?)
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 10th May 19, 5:24 PM
    • 12,529 Posts
    • 5,644 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Routers have wifi mode to save customers purchasing a wifi router .
    • fair enough
    • By fair enough 10th May 19, 7:48 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    fair enough
    Thanks JJ but it doesn't seem right that these companies supply a router than provides WiFi without any accountabilities for the service or lack of.
    • Croft12
    • By Croft12 11th May 19, 8:32 AM
    • 136 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Croft12
    Thanks JJ but it doesn't seem right that these companies supply a router than provides WiFi without any accountabilities for the service or lack of.

To be fair so many things outside their control can interfere with wifi its not realistic for them to be able to fix them.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 11th May 19, 8:50 AM
    • 12,529 Posts
    • 5,644 Thanks
    JJ Egan

But its only your setup they cannot account for that in advance .
    What you get is only measured at the Master socket .
    Wifi its your setup 99% of the time .
    A proper Wifi test could prove something .
    Test stood next to router noting speeds and swap channels to double check .
    • fair enough
    • By fair enough 11th May 19, 11:07 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    fair enough
    I have turned off all devices except my phone. (although nowtv say once connected devices still use bandwidth when off).
    Stood next to the router I get 17meg sometimes and less than 1meg others with the the most result being 5-7meg.
    The other side of the room, its not a big room, I get the same sort of results.
    There is no one else nearby on the same channel.
    Router is plugged into master socket.
    NowTV say it is likely to be water in radiator and electrical items in the room.
    When I call them on this as sometimes 17meg plus they say speed checkers don't work and there is no way to test WiFi speeds.
    • Croft12
    • By Croft12 11th May 19, 11:27 AM
    • 136 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Croft12
    I have turned off all devices except my phone. (although nowtv say once connected devices still use bandwidth when off).
    Stood next to the router I get 17meg sometimes and less than 1meg others with the the most result being 5-7meg.
    The other side of the room, its not a big room, I get the same sort of results.
    There is no one else nearby on the same channel.
    Router is plugged into master socket.
    NowTV say it is likely to be water in radiator and electrical items in the room.
    When I call them on this as sometimes 17meg plus they say speed checkers don't work and there is no way to test WiFi speeds.

Next to router should be good. If not the fault is line or router. No isp can check router speed via wifi. Nothing in router logs drops or bad packets?
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 11th May 19, 11:34 AM
    • 12,529 Posts
    • 5,644 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    You have 20 meg at router and Wifi is 17 meg .
    Cannot complain at that.

Check router logs as said .
    Replace/ or add wifi router .

NowTV may send out OR engineer but if the fault is beyond the master socket and not the router its chargable to you .

Might be worth try asking them to send out a new router .
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 11th May 19, 11:40 AM
    • 12,529 Posts
    • 5,644 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    NowTV help
    https://help.nowtv.com/article/improve-broadband-speed-by-changing-wi-fi-channel

https://community.nowtv.com/

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?advanced=false&allow_punctuation=true&q=wi fi
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 11th May 19, 6:55 PM
    • 8,180 Posts
    • 7,015 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Have you tried connecting via 5ghz. If the problem is interference this might avoid it.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,607Posts Today

8,193Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin