Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Zandimos
    • By Zandimos 4th May 19, 5:29 PM
    • 49Posts
    • 27Thanks
    Zandimos
    Painting and decorating
    • 4th May 19, 5:29 PM
    Painting and decorating 4th May 19 at 5:29 PM
    Hi all,

Me and my partner are hopefully moving into our first home together and will need to decorate for the first time in our lives.

I have a quick question for you people with more experience than us, do you have recommendations for best rollers and paint brushes? Equally, do you have any decorating tips and tricks that we may find useful?

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 4th May 19, 5:48 PM
    • 4,672 Posts
    • 7,413 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 4th May 19, 5:48 PM
    • 4th May 19, 5:48 PM
    It's all down to good preparation. Good, sound, plaster is an essential base for wallpaper and paint.

Is your house old, very old or new build?
    • keith969
    • By keith969 4th May 19, 6:05 PM
    • 1,530 Posts
    • 1,109 Thanks
    keith969
    • 4th May 19, 6:05 PM
    • 4th May 19, 6:05 PM
    Cheap own brand rollers from B&Q are fine. Throw the roll away rather than try and clean it - although if you are going to use the same paint the next day, wrapping in clingfilm or wet cloth to stop it drying out means you can re-use it.

Brushes I tend to spend a bit more on - Harris for example - as it's worth cleaning them.

For preparation, use masking tape on e.g. skirting/door frames/cornices/sockets/switches etc so you can roller right up to the edge thus reducing or eliminating the cutting in time.

For wood, use water based paint rather than traditional oil based - easier to clean brushes, easier to wipe off mistakes. Although for some things e.g. windowsills I'll still sometimes use oil based gloss.

As silvertabby says, its all in the prep.
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 4th May 19, 9:44 PM
    • 25,157 Posts
    • 29,400 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    • 4th May 19, 9:44 PM
    • 4th May 19, 9:44 PM
    Sugar soap: the luminous yellow liquid in the decorating section. Pound shops or Home Bargains are the cheapest. Use it as part of your preparation to clean grease/ grime/ scuffs and other marks. Diluted on relatively clean surfaces, sprayed in neat on dirtier surfaces.

Sugar soap is a really useful 'Spring cleaning' product generally: tiles, bath, shower stall, sinks, worktops, windows, most hard floors ....

Wear disposable gloves and safety glasses when using sugar soap. Disposable face masks with a filter when doing any dusty DIY task. Can pick these up cheaply at Wilko or pound shops.

HTH.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 5th May 19, 9:43 AM
    • 3,818 Posts
    • 2,496 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 5th May 19, 9:43 AM
    • 5th May 19, 9:43 AM
    Rollers come with different degrees of fluffiness. Use a flatter one for smooth walls, and a more fluffy one to get into textured surfaces.

The paint texture you get using brushes or rollers is never the same. So I tend to pick one or the other. But if you do use a roller, then you will need a small brush to do around the edges.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 5th May 19, 10:34 AM
    • 36,657 Posts
    • 47,272 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 5th May 19, 10:34 AM
    • 5th May 19, 10:34 AM
    Please dont buy cheap foam rollers

Prep, prep,prep
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 5th May 19, 10:37 AM
    • 6,251 Posts
    • 29,580 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 5th May 19, 10:37 AM
    • 5th May 19, 10:37 AM
    Cheap own brand rollers from B&Q are fine. Throw the roll away rather than try and clean it - although if you are going to use the same paint the next day, wrapping in clingfilm or wet cloth to stop it drying out means you can re-use it.
    Originally posted by keith969

Disagree with throwing away after one use. We wash ours out thoroughly, thread string though them and hang up to dry. New rollers tend to shed bits of fluff which you end up having to pick off your walls before they dry. Used rollers suffer much less from this.

We do wrap in clingfilm between coats though.

Decent bristle brushes are worth paying for, synthetic bristles dont give as smooth a finish
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 5th May 19, 12:53 PM
    • 37,463 Posts
    • 23,133 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 5th May 19, 12:53 PM
    • 5th May 19, 12:53 PM
    Practice.

2 coats, first is practice.

I like to do the cut in with a brush then roller as close to the edge as possible
    Ceiling,wall,ceiling,wall.

Empty the room, put down a dust sheet, over a plastic sheet if you think you will splash/spill.

For ceilings I find step platform for the cutting in then roller on a pole works best.
    (ceilings are tiring on the arms if not fit)
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 5th May 19, 12:59 PM
    • 37,463 Posts
    • 23,133 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 5th May 19, 12:59 PM
    • 5th May 19, 12:59 PM
    I cut the top off a 2ltr bottle and fill with soapy water to soak roller sleeves.
    Ypu can get cleaning rings to push them through to remove a lot of excess first.

If they get a bit tatty keep them for outdoor use.
    • stillEuropean
    • By stillEuropean 5th May 19, 7:32 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    stillEuropean
    If you have several rooms to paint, consider buying your tools at Screwfix, who have a good deal right now for about 20 quid where you get an 18 piece set of rollers (small and large) an extension pole, two paint trays, etc.. Everything you need really. (I just bought one as I've got a whole house to do).
    • PDC
    • By PDC 5th May 19, 8:44 PM
    • 787 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    PDC
    I've found the paint brushes Aldi sell to be very good.

I've bought cheap and expensive bushes from the big DIY stores in the past and been dissapointed by both.

A good tip above on Screwfix too - I always forget to look there as they tend to be in out of the way places but have found better choice and stock levels than B&Q and Homebase when doing a couple of recent jobs.
    • Heyyouguys
    • By Heyyouguys 7th May 19, 10:22 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Heyyouguys
    B&M have a good selection of decorating materials, including Harris brushes. I would definitely agree with having a good-quality roller and good paintbrushes. We also found an edging tool to be invaluable for cutting in, looks like a rectangle sponge, and much easier than using normal or edging paintbrushes.

Something I would recommend as a beginner (same as me) is to test how long the water-based paint takes to dry, as when you edge, sometimes the paint dries very fast before you roll (especially if it a big wall) and you see an edge/boundary. We found an additive called Floetrol was very useful to make the paint stay wetter for longer and therefore not see any edges.

Finally prep prep prep .... sugar soap, clean, sand, wipe, prime, sand, wipe, paint, sand, wipe, repaint, fine resand and wipe for the best finish. Also check any damp and blown plaster BEFORE painting - we learnt this the hard way as we are now noticing and fixing cracks everywhere
    • PDC
    • By PDC 8th May 19, 8:55 AM
    • 787 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    PDC
    Also if you need to remove wallpaper then a mixture of warm water and fabric softener can work very well - We had some paper to remove that we were dreading removing but filling a spray bottle with that and soaking the paper as we removed it, it all but fell of the wall.
    • Zandimos
    • By Zandimos 8th May 19, 8:29 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Zandimos
    Hi all,

Thanks for your responses!

I have noted all your stresses about prepping and got some sugar soap which I hope will help me out.

I also took your advice and got the 20 screwfix deal on the Harris brushes/rollers.

Hopefully all will go well
    • MalcRH12
    • By MalcRH12 9th May 19, 8:02 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    MalcRH12
    My main tip would be to use frog tape instead of masking tape. It's expensive for what it is but it leaves a fantastic finish. Just make sure you put the tape on whatever you're taping correctly and straight (e.g when taping the edge of the ceiling to cut on in walls). You can get the yellow less tacky version for freshly painted surfaces or the green more tacky version for surfaces that have been dry for a while. Good luck
    • Zandimos
    • By Zandimos 17th May 19, 5:29 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Zandimos
    Hi all,

Sorry for another question.

We are looking at the Dulux Easycare range as we have a little one. But I’ve been told Valspar V500 is brilliant by one colleague.

Just wondering if you guys have any opinions on the two? And is Valspar worth the 12 more per 5l
    • esmy
    • By esmy 17th May 19, 8:39 PM
    • 1,271 Posts
    • 5,501 Thanks
    esmy
    I've found Dulux Easycare good, as is Wilkinson's equivalent, called Durable.

My best tip is to buy some decorator's caulk - great for filling gaps along skirtings and around door frames prior to painting - but I do live in an old, creaky house. Yours might be different!
    • redmalc
    • By redmalc 18th May 19, 4:20 AM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 498 Thanks
    redmalc
    We have had Dulux easy care and it’s very good,shop around because we ended up getting it from JYF for 15 2,5 litres
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 18th May 19, 3:05 PM
    • 25,157 Posts
    • 29,400 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    If you run an advanced search, paint brands/ own brands come up regularly. Wilko paint is well thought of and very well priced: see the reviews on their website.

My city centre flat is a Johnstone's washable throughout - courtesy of the developer - and I will be using it again. It stands up to scrubbing down incredibly well (greasy diesel bus exhaust deposits).
    Last edited by Fire Fox; 18-05-2019 at 3:11 PM.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
    • Tinks74
    • By Tinks74 18th May 19, 6:04 PM
    • 201 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    Tinks74
    For the small touch ups at the end, maybe where the masking tape was a little wonky or pulled off a little bit of paint (even Frog tape does this occasionally), use a small artists paint brush, easier to control and cleans in seconds.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,273Posts Today

7,817Users online

Martin's Twitter