Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tighteningthebelt
    • By tighteningthebelt 30th Apr 19, 7:55 PM
    • 242Posts
    • 2,592Thanks
    tighteningthebelt
    Food Waste Audit Diary May 2019
    • 30th Apr 19, 7:55 PM
    Food Waste Audit Diary May 2019 30th Apr 19 at 7:55 PM
    Hi everyone!
    I'm doing a tight audit of food waste for May 2019. I don't waste much, but there's always room for improvement with all these skills. I welcome any advice, or anybody who wants to do it along with me.

A little background...
    I've been doing quite a bit of reading about this. It's obviously difficult for anyone to be exact with figures. The current estimate for food waste in the UK is 7 million tons. This is household food waste, not farm or supermarket waste. In a way such big figures are meaningless for us, too large to imagine. So I went looking for the per household sum... 7 million tons divided by 27 million household is 250kg per household per year. That's 4.8kg of food waste per household per week, or 0.68kg per day. in 'old money' that's 1lb 8oz. These figures seemed irrational to me, so i checked them with an academic at Loughborough Uni who has been in the news regarding food waste recently, and he assures me they are correct. He has challenged me to do a fun food audit. I can't resist a challenge!!

There are some caveats in the calculations. The figures include food composted by individuals. It includes leftover food given to pets. It includes drinks, or other food disposed of down the sink.

There are three categories of waste food; avoidable, unavoidable, and possibly avoidable.
    Broadly speaking
    'Avoidable' is food that could have been eaten at some point, but that has spoiled due to being left too long, examples might be mouldy bread or liquefied cucumber.
    'Unavoidable' is things like banana or pineapple skins, eggshells, used teabags, that were never edible.
    'Possibly avoidable' is things like peelings, which some people might eat and other not.

(I did briefly consider whether 'unavoidable' can even be classed as 'waste', the word waste implies carelessness and even extravagance to my mind, but I don't want to get too hung up on that, the figures have to be comparable or else it isn't a challenge at all!!)

So, this is how i will do my food waste diary... I'm going to discount 'possibly avoidable' as I eat edible things! I'm going to sort my food waste through the day into 'avoidable' and 'unavoidable'. After tea each night I'm going to weigh them, and post on here with any notes. I'm also going to make a note of how many people have eaten, as that's quite variable here, but on average there is a 'household'. I don't eat out, so there won't be any waste hidden from the figures.

There you go! I'll do my level best. Do join in or respond with your ideas, suggestions and experiences. (oh and its the first time I've started a thread, so forgive me if I've done anything that needs forgiveness)
    "Victory is won not in miles but in inches. Win a little now, hold your ground, and later, win a little more" Louis L'Amour
    GC (annual budget) £1195.87 left of £1800
Page 3
    • AnimalTribe
    • By AnimalTribe 6th May 19, 10:56 AM
    • 126 Posts
    • 1,937 Thanks
    AnimalTribe
    ariarnia I can't help with the meat or fish, as I'm a vegetarian, but sweetcorn fritters are very easy to make and very tasty. I eat them with mayonnaise. I sometimes add peas to the recipe, and I use normal onion, or sometimes add any spice that I have to hand. Frozen veg works as well as tinned in the recipe.
    https://www.annabelkarmel.com/recipes/sweetcorn-fritters/
    • AnimalTribe
    • By AnimalTribe 6th May 19, 10:58 AM
    • 126 Posts
    • 1,937 Thanks
    AnimalTribe
    Never sure about the nutritional content of carrot tops or lettuces regrown from stalk/tops - surely it can't be much? Happy to be proved wrong though!
    Originally posted by themadvix
    I'd never thought about this, but they can be grown in compost just as easily. It's just easier getting kids to grow them in water.
    • tighteningthebelt
    • By tighteningthebelt 6th May 19, 7:27 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 2,592 Thanks
    tighteningthebelt
    Hi all.

Hoping someone can help me figure something out for lunches this week using the store cupboard
    Originally posted by ariarnia
    Paella type thing for sure. Could you freeze half if you're worried? Sorry for late response.
    "Victory is won not in miles but in inches. Win a little now, hold your ground, and later, win a little more" Louis L'Amour
    • tighteningthebelt
    • By tighteningthebelt 6th May 19, 7:38 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 2,592 Thanks
    tighteningthebelt
    Today's totals...

People 2 for breakfast, just me for lunch, 3 at teatime.

155g unavoidable (teabags, onion skins and trimmings, 2 pepper stalks and cores, tops and bottoms of carrots)
    10g avoidable (pickings off new potatoes)

A huge percentage of my food waste is teabags today... like 50%, maybe more!!

I'm proud of eating up the cauliflower leaves for lunch today, they were already chopped up with the stalk, a little of onion and bacon. Sauteed, spiced up a bit, and then added 5 slices of chopped up pickled beetroot for the final couple of mins. Seemed like it needed it. worked well.

Fridge pretty clear now, ready for the shopping incoming tomorrow. If it wasn't already organised I reckon I could squeeze another day... it would be nutritionally questionable though!
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 6th May 19, 8:02 PM
    • 4,390 Posts
    • 7,006 Thanks
    bouicca21
    I nearly didn’t read this thread as of course I think my mse ways mean I have virtually no food waste. Like others I hadn’t thought that ‘food waste’ was anything other than ‘food that is wasted’. I think the press and politicians think the same way - headlines about food waste tend to suggest the country is full of !!!!less people unable to shop/cook properly. I get why the unavoidable has to be included in the stats but maybe we should be thinking of terminology that makes it clear that ‘food waste’ is more than wasted food.

Now I know that I produce lots of food waste, albeit mostly in the unavoidable category - and practically all of that is fed to my worms, so i don’t think of it as waste. I have been splurging on oranges lately so have been throwing away lots of peel. I suppose I could candy it, but I don’t think I can be bothered, especially as I don’t like candied peel!

PS edited to add that I have just weighed the worms’ dinner - for various reasons I have a weeks worth to give them. 446 grams, mostly tea leaves, bit of pepper core, onion skins, courgette stems and some cauliflower stem (the leaves and softer bits of stem went into my cauliflower soup).
    Last edited by bouicca21; 06-05-2019 at 8:08 PM.
    • tighteningthebelt
    • By tighteningthebelt 6th May 19, 8:32 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 2,592 Thanks
    tighteningthebelt
    I think the press and politicians think the same way - headlines about food waste tend to suggest the country is full of !!!!less people unable to shop/cook properly.
    Originally posted by bouicca21
    Quite!

I feel like I'm doing quite well, but if i do the sums projecting these figures over a full year I'll have made more than 100kg of food waste. Except I won't because I know about keeping pineapples now!!!

It's changed my perspective in an interesting way - I've started to feel a bit fiercer about the choices I do make ... I don't like candied peel either. But I do like tea, of course I could drink less, or have less visitors... shrugs. It'll be interesting to see if that feeling changes through the month.

Today I had the chance of a bunch of bananas for free... my immediate reaction was the skins will bump up the total waste, esp as they were quite ripe so it would be a freezing job = bulk skins. I've given myself a good talking to though, and i'm going to pick them up tomorrow... saving the edible flesh from landfill... save me some pennies!
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 7th May 19, 9:54 AM
    • 2,417 Posts
    • 13,446 Thanks
    themadvix
    Thanks AnimalTribe - hadn't thought of that, might give it a try in compost.

This thread is definitely making me think - I was very careful not to chop any more than necessary off the rhubarb I pulled yesterday - and didn't retrim the stems when I got them into the kitchen (cut with a kitchen knife in the garden anyway).

I'm still pondering the unavoidable waste thing. I think if it's served its purpose - e.g. tea leaves, then it can't be considered waste, or certainly not waste to beat yourself up about, especially if it's composted.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 7th May 19, 11:25 AM
    • 6,094 Posts
    • 35,312 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    OK Weak 1.

Food caddy is half fool, with peel, fruit skins etc, loose tea. Six egg shells and a little of what Raffles did not eat. Yesterday we had chips from the chippy and this morning the local magpie finished them off.
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • tighteningthebelt
    • By tighteningthebelt 7th May 19, 7:02 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 2,592 Thanks
    tighteningthebelt
    Today...
    2 for breakfast, 2 for lunch, 3 for tea.
    Shopping in.

115g unavoidable... As well as the usual I've included trimmings from bruised plum, bruised pepper and a couple of snips of carrot as they were sorted before they even went in the fridge, they could have been avoided, but not by me!!
    10g avoidable due to being clumsy!
    • Timor
    • By Timor 7th May 19, 10:22 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Timor
    Mum used to make Queen of puddings with breadcrumbs. Breadcrumbs eggs sugar make the cake base, then jam, then meringue (egg white) on top. Delicious use of leftover bread!
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 8th May 19, 9:14 AM
    • 2,886 Posts
    • 27,274 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    I have been splurging on oranges lately so have been throwing away lots of peel. I suppose I could candy it, but I donít think I can be bothered, especially as I donít like candied peel!
    Originally posted by bouicca21
    I dry citrus peel and use it as a firelighter - a bit of newspaper and orange peel is great for getting a fire going. I save it, drying on the range then storing in an old sweet-tin - it is great and leaves only ash (which I use in the garden)
    MFIT T5 target to clear our mortgage completely (£59,998) Q1 £26,828 or 44.71% paid - Mortgage Free Wannabes 2019 #37 £29,215.99 after May
    Save £12k in 2019 - #68 target is £7k £4,998.99 or 71.41% after May
    OS Grocery Challenge 2019 target is £3k - 36.16% spent so far, after May
    My DFD is here
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 8th May 19, 9:37 AM
    • 4,401 Posts
    • 15,225 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    My council collects food waste and turns it into biofuel. Most of mine goes into my compost bin; last weekend I got 4 buckets of black gold to put on my veg patch and continue the cycle.

So I honestly don't worry about food scraps that get repurposed in this manner; as long as they're not ending up stinking in landfill.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • lesbro
    • By lesbro 8th May 19, 10:18 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    lesbro
    It is classified as waste if it going on the compost heap? I might have a bone from chops or chicken which do have to go to waste otherwise I have zero. As pensioners and born before and during WW11 we don't believe in wasting food and our Great Grandchildren are told to eat everything.
    • HelenPetersBeads
    • By HelenPetersBeads 8th May 19, 12:20 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    HelenPetersBeads
    I do believe that I'm the only person who actually enjoys eating the heel of a loaf
    Originally posted by freyasmum
    Nope, I even dive down the end of the bag of bread to snaffle the far crust as well!
    • stirchleygirl
    • By stirchleygirl 8th May 19, 4:45 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 572 Thanks
    stirchleygirl
    [B]tighteningthebelt[/B
    Well done for this thread being mentioned in Martin's email today :-)
    • tighteningthebelt
    • By tighteningthebelt 8th May 19, 6:15 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 2,592 Thanks
    tighteningthebelt
    Well done for this thread being mentioned in Martin's email today :-)
    Originally posted by stirchleygirl
    Gosh!! Fame?

Here's today's thrilling installment....
    155g unavoidable I'm putting the whole lot in unavoidable for the first time today... teabags, coffee grounds, green bean stalks, very bottom of a spring green, onion skin and tops/bottoms, pepper stalk and seeds, very end of mushroom stalks, orange peel.

Missed the free bananas though. sigh.
    • tighteningthebelt
    • By tighteningthebelt 8th May 19, 6:17 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 2,592 Thanks
    tighteningthebelt
    My council collects food waste and turns it into biofuel.
    Originally posted by Out, Vile Jelly
    wish mine did! they all will soon i believe.
    • tighteningthebelt
    • By tighteningthebelt 8th May 19, 6:20 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 2,592 Thanks
    tighteningthebelt
    It is classified as waste if it going on the compost heap?
    Originally posted by lesbro
    sadly, yes... not my rules though, or many other people on here.

if anyone's interested this is the report the figures are taken from, and the rules of play!
    http://www.wrap.org.uk/sites/files/wrap/Household_food_waste_in_the_UK_2015_Report.pdf
    • -taff
    • By -taff 8th May 19, 6:25 PM
    • 10,174 Posts
    • 13,727 Thanks
    -taff
    I threw out 4 wraps that had been lurking in between the washing machine and counter top and were green...Bad me.

Threw out the usual carrier bag for the rubbish today of various non recyclables but this time the bag was 3/4 full, not full...And I don't even know how I managed to throw out less.
    Compost caddy half full from emptying yesterday, banana peel, eggshells, apple cores, top end of leeks, onion skins, teabags, till receipts, odd bits of paper making up most of it. New compost bin [for aesthetics instead of three pallets] to be installed when not throwing buckets from heaven.
    • THIRZAH
    • By THIRZAH 8th May 19, 7:21 PM
    • 1,415 Posts
    • 7,372 Thanks
    THIRZAH
    Had to throw out DHS packed lunch yesterday. He forgot to take it to work and left it in the porch for some reason. When I found it it had been sitting in the sun for 5 hours!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

792Posts Today

6,597Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin