Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 26th Apr 19, 2:53 PM
    • 543Posts
    • 188Thanks
    MSE Callum
    0 WOW
    Revealed: Tesco to offer Clubcard holders huge discounts on groceries and more in May - MSE News
    • 26th Apr 19, 2:53 PM
    0 WOW
    Revealed: Tesco to offer Clubcard holders huge discounts on groceries and more in May - MSE News 26th Apr 19 at 2:53 PM
    Tesco is to give Clubcard-holders whopping discounts of up to 50% on selected items in-store and online as part of a major new promotion next month to celebrate the supermarket giant's 100th birthday, MoneySavingExpert.com can reveal...
    Read the full story:
    'Revealed: Tesco to offer Clubcard holders huge discounts on groceries and more in May'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Page 2
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 8th May 19, 5:02 AM
    • 13,880 Posts
    • 43,196 Thanks
    sarah1972
    Shame its only inshore and not for online orders

Hello Mrs XXXXXX,

Last week, we told you about the launch of Clubcard Prices. Itís one of the things weíre doing to celebrate 100 years of great value at Tesco Ė and a special treat to thank you for being a Clubcard customer.

Clubcard Prices are great discounts that you can only get when you use your Clubcard. Theyíre available right now on a whole range of products.

To access the Clubcard Prices in-store, just download the app and scan it (or tap your card) at the till. If you shop online, the discounts will be taken off and will show on your final customer delivery note

Thanks again for shopping at Tesco Ė and for being a Clubcard customer.

Every little helps

Your Clubcard team
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • alanq
    • By alanq 8th May 19, 10:11 AM
    • 4,154 Posts
    • 2,732 Thanks
    alanq
    Shame its only inshore and not for online orders
    If you shop online, the discounts will be taken off and will show on your final customer delivery note
    Originally posted by sarah1972
    But it is also for online orders.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 8th May 19, 10:18 AM
    • 6,945 Posts
    • 19,806 Thanks
    Doc N
    The more you think about this the more ludicrous it becomes.

To enable me to find prices in Tesco that might possibly compete with those in Aldi or Lidl I have to download the Clubcard app or log into the website?

Why would I bother?
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 8th May 19, 11:26 AM
    • 13,880 Posts
    • 43,196 Thanks
    sarah1972
    But it is also for online orders.
    Originally posted by alanq

I clearly didn't read it properly first thing this morning !

Thank you, i feel better now
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • tealady
    • By tealady 8th May 19, 1:01 PM
    • 3,061 Posts
    • 3,956 Thanks
    tealady
    Gave up using TESCO money off a minimum spend vouchers when you couldn't buy alcohol.
    Proud to be an MSE nerd
    Judge people by their achievements, not by their mistakes
    • TheBanker
    • By TheBanker 10th May 19, 4:42 AM
    • 647 Posts
    • 1,608 Thanks
    TheBanker
    I noticed during a visit to Tesco last night that they are now selling Jacks branded items in the store.

We do not have a Jacks store anywhere near here, and the Tesco I went to has a Lidl next door so I can kind of understand why they're trying this, but...

1) It's confusing. All these Jacks items were together on one aisle. The other things on that aisle were gardening items, outdoor toys and a few reduced non-food odds and ends.So if you wanted crisps or lemonade you would not find the Jacks versions because they weren't on the crisp/fizzy drink aisles.

2) It's confusing. Tesco used to have three own brands - value, normal and finest. Then they replaced value with a load of made up brand names. They also seem to have introduced some fake brand names for standard items. Now they have the Jacks brand in the mix too. It's much more confusing than Lidl where there is usually just one version of each product, occasionally two versions.

I don't go to Tesco often these days, but every time I do I come away wondering what exactly their strategy is.
    Make £10 a day challenge: Jan-18: £330 / £400
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 10th May 19, 5:59 AM
    • 6,945 Posts
    • 19,806 Thanks
    Doc N
    I noticed during a visit to Tesco last night that they are now selling Jacks branded items in the store.

We do not have a Jacks store anywhere near here, and the Tesco I went to has a Lidl next door so I can kind of understand why they're trying this, but...

1) It's confusing. All these Jacks items were together on one aisle. The other things on that aisle were gardening items, outdoor toys and a few reduced non-food odds and ends.So if you wanted crisps or lemonade you would not find the Jacks versions because they weren't on the crisp/fizzy drink aisles.

2) It's confusing. Tesco used to have three own brands - value, normal and finest. Then they replaced value with a load of made up brand names. They also seem to have introduced some fake brand names for standard items. Now they have the Jacks brand in the mix too. It's much more confusing than Lidl where there is usually just one version of each product, occasionally two versions.

I don't go to Tesco often these days, but every time I do I come away wondering what exactly their strategy is.
    Originally posted by TheBanker
    I've seen this too - Jack's isn't, I hear, going too well for them. Maybe they're having to shift some of the Jack's branded stuff into the main stores to get rid of it!

I suspect this little venture will soon go the way of the Sainsbury's Netto gamble.

You can't out-Aldi Aldi! Or Lidl.
    • TheBanker
    • By TheBanker 15th May 19, 5:10 AM
    • 647 Posts
    • 1,608 Thanks
    TheBanker
    I suspect this little venture will soon go the way of the Sainsbury's Netto gamble.
    You can't out-Aldi Aldi! Or Lidl.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    Yes - my Tesco also has an aisle they call The Market (or something similar) which has a random selection of non-food items. I suspect they're trying to imitate the middle aisle of Aldi/Lidl and at the same time shift a load of non food that's left in their warehouses after they closed the Tesco Direct website down. But unlike Aldi/Lidl it's not a good selection and there are no particular bargains.

It is fair to say that this Tesco is next door to a Lidl which opened last year. Since Lidl opened, Tesco has not been as busy. I guess they have to try different things, but for me Lidl is not just about lower prices. The store seems cleaner, easier to navigate and despite only having a few checkouts compared to Tesco has shorter queues. I suspect that if the pricing structure was reversed, i.e. Tesco became the cheaper of the two, I would still shop at Lidl because I prefer the store and range to Tesco.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 15th May 19, 5:44 AM
    • 10,256 Posts
    • 15,934 Thanks
    worried jim
    I have a Tesco and lidl equal distance away, I haven't used Tesco (except for petrol) since Lidl opened, much nicer store and first thing in the morning I can do a shop door to door in 20 mins which as a man who hates shopping and other people this is a bonus. Great value for money esp the veg.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 15th May 19, 10:43 AM
    • 29,056 Posts
    • 61,771 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    As an aside, I saw Sainsbury's advert celebrating 150 years yesterday evening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TO8i7W7dcI

A much better creative effort than Tesco's; if it were a war of image then Sainsbos would win hands down.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • Rainbow Diamond
    • By Rainbow Diamond 15th May 19, 9:49 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rainbow Diamond
    Tesco Clubcard Products
    I went to my local Tesco in Finchley Central and wanted to purchase a jar of coffee at the Clubcard price. Although the coffee was advertised on the shelf as being one of the discounted products, it was not discounted at the till. The Supervisor said that I needed a voucher in addition to my Clubcard. I only had my Clubcard. To date I have not received any vouchers for the discounted prices. As I havenít read anywhere that vouchers are needed (unless iím going blind), can someone please clarify.
    • TheBanker
    • By TheBanker 18th May 19, 10:51 AM
    • 647 Posts
    • 1,608 Thanks
    TheBanker
    I went to my local Tesco in Finchley Central and wanted to purchase a jar of coffee at the Clubcard price. Although the coffee was advertised on the shelf as being one of the discounted products, it was not discounted at the till. The Supervisor said that I needed a voucher in addition to my Clubcard. I only had my Clubcard. To date I have not received any vouchers for the discounted prices. As I havenít read anywhere that vouchers are needed (unless iím going blind), can someone please clarify.
    Originally posted by Rainbow Diamond
    This is not correct. I bought a couple of jars of the coffee using my clubcard and the discount was applied automatically at the till. Obviously the discount was not applied until I scanned my clubcard. So initially the cashier said "That's £xx.xx please" then when I scanned my card the price reduced. Did this assistant actually scan your clubcard?
    • Bacman
    • By Bacman 18th May 19, 10:14 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    Bacman
    Bought some groceries today from Tesco, used my clubcard and got zero "discounts"
    • CuddlesTC
    • By CuddlesTC 19th May 19, 11:06 AM
    • 133 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    CuddlesTC
    Originally posted by Rainbow Diamond
    I picked up the Maltesers yesterday (the only thing I was remotely interested in!) and the discount came of as soon as my Clubcard was swiped.

There was no sign on the shelf indicating the Clubcard discount though, so if I hadn't researched beforehand, I would have had no idea a discount was due.

I think this whole promotion is pretty poor to be honest - there's what, about 30 special prices? And mostly on the same product types: coffee, cat food, toilet roll? *insert unimpressed emoji*
    • oliveoyl
    • By oliveoyl 19th May 19, 2:11 PM
    • 2,718 Posts
    • 105,650 Thanks
    oliveoyl
    I've had 2 deliveries over the weekend, including products that were supposed to be at the promotional 'Clubcard Prices' - no discounts were taken off at all - what a load of rubbish!
    TOP MONEYSAVING TIP

Make your own Pot Noodles using a flower pot, sawdust and some old shoe laces. Pour in boiling water, stir then allow to stand for two minutes before taking one mouthful, and throwing away. Just like the real thing!
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 19th May 19, 8:10 PM
    • 6,945 Posts
    • 19,806 Thanks
    Doc N
    Looking more and more like yet another confidence trick by tricky old Tesco to try to cover over the hard fact that their prices are still much higher than Aldi and Lidl.

And itís not working.
    • Bacman
    • By Bacman 20th May 19, 6:07 AM
    • 105 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    Bacman
    Indeed. This only makes customers stop using their stores, people don't like to be misled. Tesco are expensive and if they also mislead customers by offering discounts which they are not providing, people walk, out of principle. We bought several items and used our clubcard yet got zero discounts back; gotta be wrong, yes?

I shop where the deals are these days; over the weekend we went to Tesco, Asda, Lidl and M&S. We bought nothing at M&S as no deals good enough, Tesco really for bread and herbs as other items too expensive, Lidl for a few items and the bulk at Asda who are good on their prices and have excellent choices of items.
    • Zuzel
    • By Zuzel 20th May 19, 3:32 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Zuzel
    Looking more and more like yet another confidence trick by tricky old Tesco to try to cover over the hard fact that their prices are still much higher than Aldi and Lidl.

And itís not working.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    No, it isn't working.
    I haven't been to Tesco for ages and certainly not while this so-called promotion has been running.
    Today I got notified that my Clubcard vouchers are ready, whoopee-doo. I've been saving them and still I've only got around a tenner in almost two years!
    (I do buy some kids uniform stuff there.)
    • Lanzarote1938
    • By Lanzarote1938 20th May 19, 3:53 PM
    • 528 Posts
    • 1,380 Thanks
    Lanzarote1938
    I went to Tesco (St Neots Extra) on Saturday and wanted to buy some wild Alaskan salmon. This is more expensive than farmed but really delicious.

However having decided which piece I wanted, which was to be about half a side I was told I couldn't buy it and could only buy the end bits they had.

To say I was flabbergasted would be an understatement but was told that these were 'the rules'. I didn't buy any.
    Last edited by Lanzarote1938; 20-05-2019 at 4:34 PM.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 3rd Jun 19, 5:55 AM
    • 29,056 Posts
    • 61,771 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I have failed to see any great savings from this so-called centenary celebration.

Sainsburys, on the other hand planned their celebrations well. There wasn't a huge give-away, but the campaign was clear and incentives were proportionate.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,113Posts Today

7,449Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin