Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LouR
    • By LouR 26th Apr 19, 10:03 AM
    • 34Posts
    • 2Thanks
    LouR
    Unauthorised debits
    • 26th Apr 19, 10:03 AM
    Unauthorised debits 26th Apr 19 at 10:03 AM
    Hi, if I use my debit or credit card to purchase an item online, can the store charge my card again at a later date (regardless of ethics and legality)? I'm debating using a trade/service that isn't well known and they require me to pay online but their terms and conditions mention a lot of fees and charges that could "later be added on" and it got me thinking.
    This forum, and you people helped me clear my debts. Thank you all.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 26th Apr 19, 10:04 AM
    • 22,405 Posts
    • 24,538 Thanks
    zx81
    • 26th Apr 19, 10:04 AM
    • 26th Apr 19, 10:04 AM
    If the terms you agree to allow it (such as a CPA), then yes.
    • LouR
    • By LouR 26th Apr 19, 10:36 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    LouR
    • 26th Apr 19, 10:36 AM
    • 26th Apr 19, 10:36 AM
    If the terms you agree to allow it (such as a CPA), then yes.
    Originally posted by zx81
    So, apart from it being mentioned somewhere in the terms, would I know the difference between buying something online and allowing CPA?
    This forum, and you people helped me clear my debts. Thank you all.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 26th Apr 19, 7:19 PM
    • 3,123 Posts
    • 1,698 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 26th Apr 19, 7:19 PM
    • 26th Apr 19, 7:19 PM
    but their terms and conditions mention a lot of fees and charges that could "later be added on" .
    Originally posted by LouR
    Why exactly should these fees and charges 'later be added on?'. What type of fees and charges and what circumstances would give rise to their being added on?
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 26th Apr 19, 7:35 PM
    • 1,460 Posts
    • 1,233 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    • 26th Apr 19, 7:35 PM
    • 26th Apr 19, 7:35 PM
    What exactly are you planning on purchasing and what's the name of the supplier?
    • eco_warrior
    • By eco_warrior 26th Apr 19, 11:44 PM
    • 378 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    eco_warrior
    • 26th Apr 19, 11:44 PM
    • 26th Apr 19, 11:44 PM
    Too vague a question to give a reasoned answer.
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 27th Apr 19, 5:52 AM
    • 1,445 Posts
    • 1,063 Thanks
    18cc
    • 27th Apr 19, 5:52 AM
    • 27th Apr 19, 5:52 AM
    If a firm has your credit card details then of course they can make a charge against it at any time - that is the technical answer

you are equally of course able to challenge any payment taken either by asking the company to refund it or if that doesn't happen then going to the credit card company

if the payment is allowed under the terms and conditions that you signed up for then you will struggle get a refund - if it is not allowed then you will get a refund or at least should
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 27th Apr 19, 8:02 AM
    • 7,886 Posts
    • 8,038 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 27th Apr 19, 8:02 AM
    • 27th Apr 19, 8:02 AM
    Perhaps this isn't what you mean, but your question reads like...

I want to enter into a contract that might require me to make further payments at future dates... but I don't want to make further payments at future dates.

If that's the case, you shouldn't enter into that contract.
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 27th Apr 19, 12:05 PM
    • 1,460 Posts
    • 1,233 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    • 27th Apr 19, 12:05 PM
    • 27th Apr 19, 12:05 PM
    Are you trying to pay a fine (or the like) and are worried about other fees being added and collected from you?
    • Jeady09
    • By Jeady09 27th Apr 19, 3:41 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Jeady09
    I think it's more a question of using your debit card! Use a credit card if at all possible which 'should' give you some extra protection (and they can't just take your liquid cash as it were).

Pay them via bank transfer or by any other means if you've any doubts! If they won't accept any other payments than debit card for a one of purchase, then be extra wary!

Good luck
    • eco_warrior
    • By eco_warrior 27th Apr 19, 8:01 PM
    • 378 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    eco_warrior
    Some awful “advice” on this thread
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 27th Apr 19, 8:44 PM
    • 1,460 Posts
    • 1,233 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    Some awful “advice” on this thread
    Originally posted by eco_warrior
    Do you have any suggestions that will fit OP's specific situation - given that we don't actually know what it is?
    • eco_warrior
    • By eco_warrior 29th Apr 19, 10:14 PM
    • 378 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    eco_warrior
    Short answer is No

Do you think the post above yours is good advice Terry?
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 30th Apr 19, 3:46 PM
    • 1,460 Posts
    • 1,233 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    Short answer is No

Do you think the post above yours is good advice Terry?
    Originally posted by eco_warrior
    If you mean post #8 by eddddy then I'm not sure. It's based on a speculative view of what OP might have been asking but, because OP has been conspicuously absent from the thread, we just can't be sure what they were asking or why.

My post (#9) was based on OP's other thread on a different board about a 'bus lane' infringement fine. I suspected OP might be attempting to make partial payment to a 'collection' company and was worried that the 'collection' company might be able to collect further payments (without further express consent) or that further costs might be added to the fine until it was paid in full and that these too might be collected later on from the card.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 3rd May 19, 8:50 AM
    • 2,358 Posts
    • 1,889 Thanks
    phillw
    In the hypothetical case then yes, hotels and car hire companies rely on being able to. Once they have your details they can put further charges through.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,083Posts Today

8,953Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin