Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dllive
    • By dllive 23rd Apr 19, 12:40 PM
    • 435Posts
    • 32Thanks
    dllive
    Musicmagpie.co.uk is lying to me!
    • 23rd Apr 19, 12:40 PM
    Musicmagpie.co.uk is lying to me! 23rd Apr 19 at 12:40 PM
    Hi

I had a perfectly god phone that I wanted to sell. I sent it to musicmagpie.co.uk. Ive just had an email saying that theres liquid damage on the screen and they will only offer me 3!!!

I know the phone was perfectly fine - there was nothing wrong with the screen (no white dots/no dead pixels etc...).

Is this what they do? Has anyone else had experience with them? Ive sold a few old mobiles with mazuma etc and never had any problems.

Thanks
Page 1
    • dllive
    • By dllive 23rd Apr 19, 12:42 PM
    • 435 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    dllive
    • 23rd Apr 19, 12:42 PM
    • 23rd Apr 19, 12:42 PM
    Ah ok - looks like theyre known con artsts: https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/musicmagpie.co.uk
    • JasonHand
    • By JasonHand 23rd Apr 19, 1:16 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    JasonHand
    • 23rd Apr 19, 1:16 PM
    • 23rd Apr 19, 1:16 PM
    I've used them a couple of times and I didn't have a problem. One however was for a totally broken item. But the other was working fine and they paid out what they said they would.

Obviously you can decline their offer and they will return the phone to you. So you could stick it on eBay when you get it back.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 23rd Apr 19, 1:19 PM
    • 34,437 Posts
    • 21,782 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 23rd Apr 19, 1:19 PM
    • 23rd Apr 19, 1:19 PM
    How was it packaged?

Bubble wrap or something else suitable.
    • dllive
    • By dllive 23rd Apr 19, 4:31 PM
    • 435 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    dllive
    • 23rd Apr 19, 4:31 PM
    • 23rd Apr 19, 4:31 PM
    Yes - completely bubbled wrapped and even in the leather case that I bought for it.

Ive been reading up on these shysters. Seems that theyve worked out the critical probablity of 'declining' products so that it seems theyre not doing anything unscrupulous but also means theyre massively profiting from it.

Ive also read up people's reviews that - even after declining - you either never get the product back or you have to hassle them constantly to return it.

Eitherway - VERY underhanded!! Is there a body I can complain about them to?
    • Farway
    • By Farway 24th Apr 19, 8:42 AM
    • 7,340 Posts
    • 13,896 Thanks
    Farway
    • 24th Apr 19, 8:42 AM
    • 24th Apr 19, 8:42 AM
    Ive been reading up on these shysters. Seems that theyve worked out the critical probablity of 'declining' products so that it seems theyre not doing anything unscrupulous but also means theyre massively profiting from it.

Ive also read up people's reviews that - even after declining - you either never get the product back or you have to hassle them constantly to return it.

Eitherway - VERY underhanded!! Is there a body I can complain about them to?
    Originally posted by dllive
    With hindsight, maybe you should've done this earlier?
    Lesson learnt?
    • Matty36
    • By Matty36 25th Apr 19, 12:06 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    Matty36
    • 25th Apr 19, 12:06 PM
    • 25th Apr 19, 12:06 PM
    I've only used them twice to offload a few hundred dvds a few years back. Everything went fine. When it comes to sellin old phones, I tend to use ebay as I strangely enjoy watching the bidding war in the last few minutes of the auction.

They should promptly send the phone back to you free of charge though. Then just whack it up on ebay

Edit - would this fall under a Trading Standards issue? Not sure, but worth looking into
    • dllive
    • By dllive 25th Apr 19, 12:09 PM
    • 435 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    dllive
    • 25th Apr 19, 12:09 PM
    • 25th Apr 19, 12:09 PM
    I've only used them twice to offload a few hundred dvds a few years back. Everything went fine. When it comes to sellin old phones, I tend to use ebay as I strangely enjoy watching the bidding war in the last few minutes of the auction.

They should promptly send the phone back to you free of charge though. Then just whack it up on ebay
    Originally posted by Matty36
    Thanks Matty. I think Ill do that!
    • d123
    • By d123 25th Apr 19, 2:59 PM
    • 7,837 Posts
    • 5,127 Thanks
    d123
    • 25th Apr 19, 2:59 PM
    • 25th Apr 19, 2:59 PM
    Yes - completely bubbled wrapped and even in the leather case that I bought for it.
    Originally posted by dllive
    Did you then box it, or just post the bubble wrapped phone in a Jiffy bag?
    ====
    • dllive
    • By dllive 28th Apr 19, 9:08 AM
    • 435 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    dllive
    OK, just got my phone returned back to me. Ive started up the phone and the display is completely fine. No sign of "liquid damage" or dead pixels or anything. Chancers/scammers. Im going to use Mazuma instead now.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 28th Apr 19, 9:47 AM
    • 3,821 Posts
    • 1,120 Thanks
    AndyPK
    glad it is back in one piece
    • Matty36
    • By Matty36 28th Apr 19, 3:17 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    Matty36
    Glad you got it back. Seems mazuma, envirofone and giffgaff offer the best prices for a quick no hassle sale. Like i mentioned before, I prefer ebay but even that can carry risks with non payers and time wasters
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 28th Apr 19, 4:07 PM
    • 8,144 Posts
    • 2,795 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    Glad you got it back. Seems mazuma, envirofone and giffgaff offer the best prices for a quick no hassle sale. Like i mentioned before, I prefer ebay but even that can carry risks with non payers and time wasters
    Originally posted by Matty36
    Less risk than the ones you list; with Ebay you get paid before you send it.
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 28th Apr 19, 4:22 PM
    • 3,779 Posts
    • 5,689 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    Never had an issue with Music Magpie selling many phones to them over the years.

I would never dream of using ebay - far too many crooks.
    • Tea spiller
    • By Tea spiller 1st May 19, 11:08 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Tea spiller
    Every level of music magpie phone department is corrupt.
    They create faults to reduce trade in value & when faults are real they do not repair them.

I have been tried on both buyer & seller ends, they have no compunction of customer care.

Claimed my S8 was water damaged (it wasn't so I demanded return & device sold to Mazuma)

Bought daughter an iPhone 7: it was disgustingly dirty, mute button faulty, screen was dull & front camera faulty. Yet they claim it was tested & passed?? Avoid at all costs scammers.
    • dllive
    • By dllive 3rd May 19, 5:06 PM
    • 435 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    dllive
    I ended up sending it to Gadget Reclaim. Guess what? I just got an email saying "We've got some great news for you! Your device has now been processed and passed all of our checks, and now your payment of 26.00 is ready to be made. "

So Music Magpie was blatantly just trying it on! SHAME ON YOU MUSIC MAGPIE!!!
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 8th May 19, 7:16 PM
    • 2,785 Posts
    • 1,813 Thanks
    flashg67
    Just sold my 2nd phone through Music Magpie. Was the best price I could find, just got the amount they said into my bank today - happy with their service
    • dllive
    • By dllive 9th May 19, 5:37 AM
    • 435 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    dllive
    Just sold my 2nd phone through Music Magpie. Was the best price I could find, just got the amount they said into my bank today - happy with their service
    Originally posted by flashg67
    Im sure they make a few legit purchases otherwise they would go very bust very quickly!

What *may* possibly be the case is they also make a lot of "illegitmate" purchases.

Theyve been trying to take down my review on TrustPilot. I obviously posted a negative review; MM asked for my order number; I gave it to them; they said they didnt recognise it; I sent them the order email they sent me; theyve since gone quiet. Chancers! Trying to take down honest reviews.

So, are they a trustworthy company? Not in my experience, and after my dealings with them I can see how their business model works. Very shadey!
    • Tea spiller
    • By Tea spiller 10th May 19, 10:45 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Tea spiller
    Music magpie are dire & should be avoided if you value customer services or quality products. Read the negative 1 star reviews & see the repeat crimes faulty devices or false claims of faulty devices meaning 90% value slashed from price. Many people get devices back (like me) & the fake issues magically vanish & can be sold on to other companies (mazuma without issue).
    • dllive
    • By dllive 11th May 19, 5:47 AM
    • 435 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    dllive
    Music magpie are dire & should be avoided if you value customer services or quality products. Read the negative 1 star reviews & see the repeat crimes faulty devices or false claims of faulty devices meaning 90% value slashed from price. Many people get devices back (like me) & the fake issues magically vanish & can be sold on to other companies (mazuma without issue).
    Originally posted by Tea spiller
    Yep. Not only that, but then MM tries to take down my 1 star review on Trust Pilot and lies about me never being a customer! (btw I still havnt heard back from them since I gave them proof I was a customer of theirs). Im going to contact Trading Standards this week. I have evidence they lied about the condition of the phones and then lied again about me not being a customer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

188Posts Today

1,338Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin