Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 19th Apr 19, 9:54 AM
    • 1,194Posts
    • 1,018Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Fertility clinic advice - Care or Nurture?
    • 19th Apr 19, 9:54 AM
    Fertility clinic advice - Care or Nurture? 19th Apr 19 at 9:54 AM
    Morning all,

I am hoping that some of you may be able to give any personal experience of using the Care or Nurture fertility clinics, specifically in Nottingham and where there has been male factor infertility.

We are at the stage where we now need to consider IVF due to low/no sperm count.

We visited both the clinics for an informal meeting and look round yesterday. Now we need to decide which we prefer to book the initial scan and consultation. We will be funding it privately.

If you have used either of these clinics - what was your experience like?

Any advice on supplements that have improved sperm counts (has anyone tried Condensyl?) would also be very welcomed!

Thank you in advance for anyone that takes the time to read and reply!
Page 1
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 19th Apr 19, 10:45 AM
    • 4,581 Posts
    • 11,919 Thanks
    LilElvis
    • 19th Apr 19, 10:45 AM
    • 19th Apr 19, 10:45 AM
    Morning all,

I am hoping that some of you may be able to give any personal experience of using the Care or Nurture fertility clinics, specifically in Nottingham and where there has been male factor infertility.

We are at the stage where we now need to consider IVF due to low/no sperm count.

We visited both the clinics for an informal meeting and look round yesterday. Now we need to decide which we prefer to book the initial scan and consultation. We will be funding it privately.

If you have used either of these clinics - what was your experience like?

Any advice on supplements that have improved sperm counts (has anyone tried Condensyl?) would also be very welcomed!

Thank you in advance for anyone that takes the time to read and reply!
    Originally posted by PrettyKittyKat

Sorry to hear that you need to have fertility treatment as I remember how hard it is to find that assisted conception is the only way too have your much longed for family.

I have a wonderful eight year old thanks to the wonderful staff at Care and an amazing egg donor. Though I had most of my treatment at Northampton I did do one cycle at Nottingham and really can't fault their service. Even though I had my treatment quite a few years ago I've stayed in contact with several of the staff and I've helped the clinic raise awareness of the need for gamete donors and spoken about my experience as a patient in print, broadcast journalism and at medical conferences - it is the least I can do after all that they have done to help my husband and myself. I was never made to feel like a medical patient - the nursing staff in particular are friendly and really put you at ease, and these are the staff you will have most interaction with. I can honestly say that my daughter's conception was one of the most wonderful and joyful experiences - her embryo transfer was done whilst the entire theatre team joined in with singing to Elvis on my iPod! It might not have been the way that we thought we would have our family but I am so grateful that everyone at Care made it so much easier and less daunting. In the summer I'm taking my daughter back to the clinic to meet the staff again and see for herself where her story started - she has always known about the fact that she is donor born and that the special doctors helped to make her and she is really excited to see where it happened.

I hope that you are as blessed as we have been, and feel free to send me a personal message if you have any questions you don't want to post on an open forum.

Good luck!
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 22nd Apr 19, 10:09 AM
    • 1,194 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    • 22nd Apr 19, 10:09 AM
    • 22nd Apr 19, 10:09 AM
    Thank you so much for your response LilElvis. How lovely that you have stayed in contact with the nurses.

Did you have many cycles before getting your little one?

We are also uncertain what to do about funding it.... we are unsure, do we just pay per treatment or take a risk on one of the access fertility packages?! Luckily that decision doesn't need to be made for a while but a big decision!
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 22nd Apr 19, 12:17 PM
    • 4,581 Posts
    • 11,919 Thanks
    LilElvis
    • 22nd Apr 19, 12:17 PM
    • 22nd Apr 19, 12:17 PM
    I had two cycles with my own eggs, the first resulting in an early miscarriage, but I was about 40. My egg quality would have been poor and my issues were compounded by the fact that I'm a poor responder to the medication so, though I had plenty of follicles, the rate of growth was so slow that they only managed to retrieve one egg at each cycle, even though I was on the highest dose for nearly twice as long as normal. Having such a poor response is,apparently, quite rare. I then had a cycle with donor eggs which failed, followed by a cycle using the frozen embryos from the donor cycle. The frozen cycle resulted in a twin pregnancy, though sadly one was lost at 9 1/2 weeks, and my daughter is the remaining twin. We also needed ICSI for each of the cycles. Each patient is different though - some are lucky and it works first time, others can do multiple cycles with no pregnancy. I won't say it's easy, because it really isn't, as the emotional toll of trying to conceive is made worse by the damned drugs - they can leave you quite fragile and prone to extreme mood swings. You really do need too have a supportive partner to help you get through it! Anything else you want to know - just ask and I'll try to help.
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 23rd Apr 19, 7:19 PM
    • 1,194 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    • 23rd Apr 19, 7:19 PM
    • 23rd Apr 19, 7:19 PM
    Thank you LilElvis, it means alot to know I'm not alone! We are likely to need ICSI too I think. I am quite aware at 33 (and a half!) that soon my egg quality will start decreasing and we don't want to add more problems to the mix!
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 23rd Apr 19, 8:15 PM
    • 4,581 Posts
    • 11,919 Thanks
    LilElvis
    • 23rd Apr 19, 8:15 PM
    • 23rd Apr 19, 8:15 PM
    Thank you LilElvis, it means alot to know I'm not alone! We are likely to need ICSI too I think. I am quite aware at 33 (and a half!) that soon my egg quality will start decreasing and we don't want to add more problems to the mix!

You've still got plenty of time! I had a natural miscarriage at 38 after only trying for a month, but I then wasted a couple of years before seeking help - so I was 43 when our daughter was born. My donor was 32 with two girls (via treatment) and she donated twice - creating 4 families - so our daughter has 6 biological half siblings, strangely all girls. So someone close to your age most certainly can be successfu!l We needed ICSI too and we had 100% fertilisation rate - the embryologists are very highly qualified. There was a whole programme about infertility and IVF on radio 5 today (Sarah Barnet?) - the bits I heard were really interesting as it was a room full of women at all stages of treatment. It might be worth you looking it up on podcast. You've started the ball rolling, so stay positive and enjoy alcohol and caffeine while you still can. X
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 24th Apr 19, 5:21 PM
    • 1,194 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    • 24th Apr 19, 5:21 PM
    • 24th Apr 19, 5:21 PM
    You've still got plenty of time! I had a natural miscarriage at 38 after only trying for a month, but I then wasted a couple of years before seeking help - so I was 43 when our daughter was born. My donor was 32 with two girls (via treatment) and she donated twice - creating 4 families - so our daughter has 6 biological half siblings, strangely all girls. So someone close to your age most certainly can be successfu!l We needed ICSI too and we had 100% fertilisation rate - the embryologists are very highly qualified. There was a whole programme about infertility and IVF on radio 5 today (Sarah Barnet?) - the bits I heard were really interesting as it was a room full of women at all stages of treatment. It might be worth you looking it up on podcast. You've started the ball rolling, so stay positive and enjoy alcohol and caffeine while you still can. X
    Originally posted by LilElvis
    Oh yes I will have a look to see if I can read that, thank you. Nurture told us about a fertility support group which is held there and there's a meeting in a couple of weeks. I am thinking about going but not sure at the minute. It's not run by nurture they just allow it to be held there so it is open to anyone!

Wow that's amazing to have 100% fertilisation rate! Care gave us a pack with alot of detailed information of the science side of things so I think I will sit down with a gin this weekend and read it all properly. We've spoken to our GP who is printing off all our results so far so we have them to take to a private clinic.

We have a holiday in August which is providing a bump in the road as it is a low risk zika country. Unsure whether the right thing is to try and squeeze in a treatment before (and risk being very early pregnant there with the ongoing anxiety of wondering if everything is ok) or waiting until after which means delaying treatment until September. I'm not sure which is the best at the moment, my heart says one thing and my head says the other!
    • UKTigerlily
    • By UKTigerlily 25th Apr 19, 1:09 PM
    • 4,514 Posts
    • 5,690 Thanks
    UKTigerlily
    • 25th Apr 19, 1:09 PM
    • 25th Apr 19, 1:09 PM
    Oh yes I will have a look to see if I can read that, thank you. Nurture told us about a fertility support group which is held there and there's a meeting in a couple of weeks. I am thinking about going but not sure at the minute. It's not run by nurture they just allow it to be held there so it is open to anyone!

Wow that's amazing to have 100% fertilisation rate! Care gave us a pack with alot of detailed information of the science side of things so I think I will sit down with a gin this weekend and read it all properly. We've spoken to our GP who is printing off all our results so far so we have them to take to a private clinic.

We have a holiday in August which is providing a bump in the road as it is a low risk zika country. Unsure whether the right thing is to try and squeeze in a treatment before (and risk being very early pregnant there with the ongoing anxiety of wondering if everything is ok) or waiting until after which means delaying treatment until September. I'm not sure which is the best at the moment, my heart says one thing and my head says the other!

I hope all goes well, just wanted to say to never give up, it took my parents 10yrs to have me and it happened naturally after 2yrs of going through the adoption process, tons of fertility meds etc

As for the holiday, why not have it and then begin the process after? If early pregnant you may feel pretty rough anyway and then the worry, delaying a few months won't hurt and better than any risk IMO. All the best!
    Last edited by UKTigerlily; 27-05-2019 at 9:48 PM.
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 26th Apr 19, 6:18 AM
    • 1,194 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    • 26th Apr 19, 6:18 AM
    • 26th Apr 19, 6:18 AM
    I hope all goes well, just wanted to say to never give up, it took my parents 10yrs to have me and it happened naturally after 2yrs of going through the adoption process, tons of fertility meds etc

As for the holiday, why not have it and then begin the process after? If early pregnant you may feel pretty rough anyway and then the worry, delaying a few months won't hurt and better than any risk IMO. All the best!
    Originally posted by UKTigerlily
    Thank you. I am hoping our journey will not be a lengthy one but I have a horrible feeling in my heart that it will.

That's what my head says but my heart is just so broken from the wait so far I want to get moving asap! I am a person that likes to have a plan in place!

However, we have found out that we can have the consultation and discuss the treatment options and changes of success now and start the treatment after the holiday at the clinic we preferred -----> which I think is going to be the best option. The other clinic clinic said we would have to wait until nearer the time which is what didn't sit well with me as that meant being in limbo not knowing what options we had for several more months!

So hopefully we will be self referring tonight!
    • Mardle
    • By Mardle 28th Apr 19, 1:10 PM
    • 415 Posts
    • 872 Thanks
    Mardle
    Just to give you a bit of hope in the early 1970s we were told we would be unlikely to have children due to low sperm count. To our surprise that proved to be wrong. In December 1975 I gave birth to a son then amazingly his brother arrived in March 1977. In January 1986 their sister was born.
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 1st May 19, 5:40 PM
    • 1,194 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    That's amazing mardle! I commented to my OH how we are lucky we have the option of IVF as when we were born this wasn't something that would have been available to our parents. Sadly with our age and that the low sperm count is due to partial failure of the testicles (which I presume will develop to complete failure!) time isn't on our side! But it only takes one good swimmer

I have booked my scan and the consultation appointment now so just need to count down until hopefully we have some information and options!
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 1st May 19, 6:13 PM
    • 4,581 Posts
    • 11,919 Thanks
    LilElvis
    That's good news! The scan will likely be a transvaginal ultrasound - you might have had these already. They will just want to check the womb, it's lining and look at the ovaries to get an idea as to how many egg follicles there are at the surface. If they haven't done so already they will want to run tests on your husband's sperm as theirs are usually more comprehensive than the NHS ones. Hope it all goes well for you.
    • AlwaysWorking
    • By AlwaysWorking 2nd May 19, 8:14 AM
    • 580 Posts
    • 830 Thanks
    AlwaysWorking
    Hi, I just wanted to add that there is a FB group called 'IVF Support UK' (the picture is of a unicorn). They have 6,400 members so there's sure to be lots of help and advice if you need it going forward! Good luck.
    "I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together." Marilyn Monroe
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 2nd May 19, 6:50 PM
    • 1,194 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    That's good news! The scan will likely be a transvaginal ultrasound - you might have had these already. They will just want to check the womb, it's lining and look at the ovaries to get an idea as to how many egg follicles there are at the surface. If they haven't done so already they will want to run tests on your husband's sperm as theirs are usually more comprehensive than the NHS ones. Hope it all goes well for you.
    Originally posted by LilElvis
    Yes that is the scan I will be having .

I thought they would want to do a sperm test for my husband too, but when we mentioned this in our informal show rounds they didn't seem bothered and said the NHS results would be fine. I am half expecting the consultant to recommend it though, as if he has no sperm at all then what treatment we have will be different!

Thank you for you posts, it is so kind of you to take the time to
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 2nd May 19, 6:52 PM
    • 1,194 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Hi, I just wanted to add that there is a FB group called 'IVF Support UK' (the picture is of a unicorn). They have 6,400 members so there's sure to be lots of help and advice if you need it going forward! Good luck.
    Originally posted by AlwaysWorking
    Ah that sounds lovely! I am a little shy of joining a facebook group as it isn't common knowledge we are going for IVF and facebook will show things like that to random people! Plus of course it is possible someone I know (possibly distantly) is in the group! Thank you for letting me know about it though, maybe when we are further along in the journey I may feel brave enough to join!
    • Mardle
    • By Mardle 6th May 19, 11:14 AM
    • 415 Posts
    • 872 Thanks
    Mardle
    That's amazing mardle! I commented to my OH how we are lucky we have the option of IVF as when we were born this wasn't something that would have been available to our parents. Sadly with our age and that the low sperm count is due to partial failure of the testicles (which I presume will develop to complete failure!) time isn't on our side! But it only takes one good swimmer

I have booked my scan and the consultation appointment now so just need to count down until hopefully we have some information and options!
    PKK I don't think I would have opted for IVF if it had been available to us.

We wanted a family so we applied to adopt but by the time we had a home visit from the social workers we had 2 foster daughters. I'd seen an advert for a private foster for the girls then aged 3 & 5 and they came to live with us. At first their mother visited regularly, took them out & paid us. Then one weekend she just didn't turn up - she'd vanished. Social Services took on responsibility for their care and they stayed with us. It was at this point we had the home visit and were turned down for adoption because they felt we would have the girls permanently. About a year later their mother reappeared. She'd sorted her life out and the girls went back to live with her.

We continued as foster parents taking short term foster children. In 1975 when I became pregnant our 'family' consisted of a 17 year old girl, brothers aged 12 & 14 and a 20 month old girl. Maybe all the teenage hormones helped
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 14th May 19, 5:47 PM
    • 1,194 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    wow what a journey to parenthood you had Mardle! You are an amazing person to help so many children.

I've had my scan and the doctor said everything looked good and healthy, so she is not worried about the results of the blood test. We have our consultation next week so will find out our options (and the prices!) then!
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 19th May 19, 5:54 PM
    • 1,194 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Hey all, we have our consultation on Tuesday.

I just wondered if there are any questions you would recommend that I ask during this?
    We are told we will be given our test results and told which treatment/drugs they would recommend and the costs.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 19th May 19, 6:46 PM
    • 4,581 Posts
    • 11,919 Thanks
    LilElvis
    Good luck for Tuesday!

Make sure you get a quote for the drug prices - the clinic will likely give you the prices for one that does a home delivery service, though I can't remember the name at the moment. As it will be a private prescription you can shop around - it's the stimulating drugs such as menopur and gonalF which are the seriously expensive ones as they can be a couple of hundred per vial. If they recommend "add on" treatments such as endometrial scratches, embryoscope, embryo glue etc then ask them to explain why they think they are appropriate, how much they increase success rates and any trials which back up these claims. Some clinics are pushing these additional items with very little scientific basis but at a huge financial cost to the patient.

Make such you take pen and paper with you to write everything down - there's a lot to take in! When you're arranging for the injection teaching session try to make sure your partner can attend - it's often easier If they do the injections, especially at first.

If you're looking for support then this forum may be good to have a look at https://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php

Hope it goes well for you!
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 20th May 19, 8:34 PM
    • 1,194 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Thank you LilElvis. I will write those questions down. We are going on holiday to a zika country in August so looking so start treatment after this once we have got the zika all clear, but I will make a note of what you said re the injections appointment for when the time comes!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

47Posts Today

2,949Users online

Martin's Twitter