First Credit Cards Advice and Car Hire Abroad

Options
Hi,
I have an excellent credit score with experian but am in receipt of benefits. I have just got my first credit cards for car hire abroad. I was successful with Capital One with £750 limit and Aqua.
These will be worse than using my Barclays debit card though. So I have got a Monzo and Starling account for use abroad and car hire that is accepting an embossed debit card: Monzo!

Is it a bad idea doing a full switch in my position to Monzo or Starling ie. because they only report to one cra?
And should I use the 2 credit cards I was successful with Capital One and Aqua; ie. pay purchases off on the day, then wait 6 months to try and apply for a better 0%/0 fees credit card?

Any advice in my situation would be much appreciated!
And advice on what credit card I should apply for next that would be useful over here in the UK and for travel abroad. I always avoided credit cards because I hate things getting more complicated or paying interest etc!

Many thanks!

Comments

• Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    Why exactly do you want to do a full switch to Monzo or Starling? What is your reason for dissatisfaction with your existing banking arrangements with Barclays?
    Although in no way a valid reason to switch or not to switch, how do you know that they both report to only one cra? Do you have an overdraft facility with these banks? Have you seen that your accounts are actually being reported?
    Being in receipt of benefits is not in itself a problem when it comes to obtaining credit cards. Are you actually employed? If no, then your unemployed status would be the problem. If you are employed and just state your total income, how will the credit card provider even know that you receive benefits? If you can afford to rent cars and travel abroad then you are not exactly on the breadline are you?
    Yes you should use both credit cards. No you should not pay them off on the day that you make the purchase. Wait until you receive a statement then pay. Even better set up a full balance direct debit for both cards.
    PS This has absolutely nothing to do with stoozing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure