Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 31st Mar 19, 8:31 AM
    • 3,287Posts
    • 36,174Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Old Style Weight Loss 2019 Part 2
    • 31st Mar 19, 8:31 AM
    Old Style Weight Loss 2019 Part 2 31st Mar 19 at 8:31 AM
    Good morning all,

As we've decided that we'd like a new thread for each part of our 2019 challenge I've changed the thread title slightly. I haven't posted the links to previous challenges either - we're all capable of looking them up by title if we want them. If you do get stuck looking for them give me a shout and I'll find them for you. Please feel free to start posting your weight loss goals for the next challenge which will run from the 1st of April until the 30th of June (13 weeks).

You do not have to submit a loss or gain for the first week as it's our starting week, you can post your first loss or gain the week after. I for one will be starting new after this weekend (party Saturday and Mothering Sunday today, oh dear! ).

As usual everyone is welcome - we support and encourage, we don't judge.

Take care all of you

Here are some useful links to help your weight loss journey :-

MSE links
    OldStyle Healthy recipes threads
    Menu Plans Collection

Outside Links
    Free food/calorie tracking
    My Fitness Pal (iphone and android apps as well as online)
    MyNetDiary
    The rest on google

Free printable food diary

NHS healthy eating website
    BMI calculator
Page 18
    • MrsLottie
    • By MrsLottie 19th May 19, 5:55 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 1,466 Thanks
    MrsLottie
    Happy birthday Cranky ! Enjoy your day and have a large slice of birthday cake - it’s only once a year after all.
    • Rose Wood
    • By Rose Wood 19th May 19, 7:43 PM
    • 859 Posts
    • 9,440 Thanks
    Rose Wood
    Evening All

It's been over a week since I last posted as was really busy and got out of the habit. It was my birthday on Wednesday and then my daughter has been up for the weekend. We've had a lovely time and fitted lots in. Today we went and played tennis, then met DH, Mum and DS for lunch. DD, DS and I then walked home along an old disused railway track which was six miles. Once we were back we took DD back to the mainline station which is about 35 miles away so not been back that long. I've just been doing my thank you letters and phone calls for my birthday so that I don't forget. Back to the straight and narrow tomorrow, recording my meals etc.

Lunch: Roast pork with roast parsnips, carrot and swede mash and a medley of broccoli, peas and cabbage. (I gave away my stuffing and roast potatoes). Lemon and lime cheesecake (although I didn't eat the base)
    Dinner: Cheese and herb omelette. Raspberries and strawberries with cream.

Happy Birthday to all those who've had birthdays this week.

Rose
    Weight Loss Challenge 6/4/19 10st 4
    Target 8st 12

Daily Steps Challenge 16,000
    Average daily steps: January 19,317, February 19,449, March 20,330, April 22,026, May 20,412
    • Gingerlily
    • By Gingerlily 20th May 19, 5:43 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    Gingerlily
    Belated birthday wishes Rose Wood

A STS for me this week please Cranky.

That was unexpected as I actually made some effort this week, not a lot but some clearly not enough though. Extra effort included less alcohol and junk food consumed and increased activity levels. A 10km walk 1 day, swimming on 3 days plus the walk there and back uphill and yoga the other 3 days.

Today’s menu
    Brekkie:Greek yoghurt blueberries chia seeds. Coffee with milk
    Lunch:Roast chicken, cold quinoa, mushrooms peppers onions and tahini dressing. Tea with milk.
    Dinner: Cottage cheese salad.
    Evening munching: A few crisps. A square of chocolate, soda water with lime ( and probably with vodka with it being Monday and me being a bit fed up and cutting down was absolutely pointless last week )

Have a good week all
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 20th May 19, 8:55 AM
    • 1,696 Posts
    • 5,391 Thanks
    Izadora
    Belated happy birthdays Rose and Cranky.

Dandy, I love your way of reaching your steps

I'm not sure how but I managed -1.5 lb this week, which I think takes me back to the same as I was at the start of the challenge

I've had one of those weeks where I've been tired and grouchy and dieting as well seemed like too much effort. I think I only got away with it because we spent the weekend working on a project which stopped me having time to boredom eat and involved a fair amount of physical work. I must try harder this week - 2 weeks today until holiday and I'm not sure I've got a week's worth of summer clothes which fit

Best of luck to everyone for the week ahead
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 20th May 19, 10:16 AM
    • 3,287 Posts
    • 36,174 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Old Style Weight Loss Challenge 2019 Second Quarter

01/04/19 - 30/06/19

Imperial (lbs)

Brambling 5/10 -/////STS/
    chocolatebum 5/14 -///STS/STS/STS/
    Cranky 3/9 -//STS//STS/STS/
    dandy-candy 0.5/7 -//STS///STS/STS
    Doing it my way 0/13 -/-/-/STS/-/-/
    ellie99 3/10 //-/STS/-//STS
    enthusiastic saver 8/14//////
    fit and freaky 2/18 -//-/-/-/-/
    Gingerlily 1.5/14 -//////
    GreenEcoGirl +2/11 -/STS//-/-/-/
    hatful of hollow 2/11 -/-/-//-/-/
    Iheartichokeyou 0/10 -/-/-/-/-/-/
    Izadora +1.5/18 -//////
    K9zz 4/12 -////-//
    katiepants 6/13 -///-/-/-/
    kazwookie 3/12 -////STS/STS/
    MovingForwards 13/20 //////
    MrsLottie 1/7 //////;STS
    Munchin 0.5/10 -///STS//STS/
    Rose Wood 3/7 -///STS/STS/STS/
    s_glover 8.5/16 -/STS/STS////
    SIRENS 3.5/10 -//////STS
    star trek fan 1/14 -///-///
    VickyV 11/16 -//////
    zafiro1984 0/14 -/-/-/-/-/-/

Metric (kg)

butterfly2507 0.2/9 -////-/-/

Weight Loss week 1 ..................8.0 lbs
    Weight Loss week 2 ............... 35.0 lbs & +0.5 kg
    Weight Loss week 3..................12.5 lbs & 0.7 kg
    Weight Loss week 4....................8.5 lbs & 1.0 kg
    Weight Loss week 5....................4.0 lbs
    Weight Loss week 6 ..................14.0 lbs
    Weight Loss week 7 ....................8.0 lbs
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 20th May 19, 10:17 AM
    • 3,287 Posts
    • 36,174 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Good morning all,

Just a quick post or I'll be late for work.... Thank you all for the birthday wishes. I've finished last weeks list, I'll start this week's when I'm home later.

Take care all of you
    • s_glover
    • By s_glover 20th May 19, 2:43 PM
    • 506 Posts
    • 1,629 Thanks
    s_glover
    Belated birthday wishes to Rose and Cranky.

Last week carried on pretty well. Pleased to report the mouth ulcer has cleared up nicely.
    Busy busy day Saturday carrying on with the decorating. Lovely fish for dinner.
    Yesterday my parents came for a visit so we had slightly more indulgent food including a lovely pear crumble for pud.
    Done plenty of walking so far today, up to 11000 steps so far and eating well. Hoping to see more progress on the scales tomorrow.
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 20th May 19, 5:38 PM
    • 10,651 Posts
    • 128,785 Thanks
    kazwookie
    STS,

I feel like I am letting the team down, on the plus isde I am home alone this week, so I have no excuses.

I am walking at least 10K step every day, plus cycling 3 time a week, I can and I will do this.
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on! - 23 and counting
    I can do this, I will do this...
    • Rose Wood
    • By Rose Wood 20th May 19, 9:15 PM
    • 859 Posts
    • 9,440 Thanks
    Rose Wood
    Evening All

A very quick post as I've been really busy all day and just got in from work. I swam and played tennis this morning, did a quick supermarket shop and then played bridge and straight out to work.

Lunch: Scrambled eggs
    Dinner: Ham and cheese salad. Apple
    Snack: Piece of Brie. 2 dark chocolate ginger biscuits.

Thanks for the birthday wishes.

Rose
    Target 8st 12

Average daily steps: January 19,317, February 19,449, March 20,330, April 22,026, May 20,412
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 21st May 19, 6:50 AM
    • 3,287 Posts
    • 36,174 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Good morning all,

It's my day off today, yay! I'll do this weeks lists this morning but first (drum roll) for the first time since I started work I'm going running. I'm really looking forward to it - I've missed it but things have been so chaotic. We seem to have settled down into our new routine so being able to add running into things now is looking hopeful. It has to be mornings otherwise I won't go.

Brambling you have described the food and eating versus diet conundrum perfectly. Sometimes you need the food more than you need to be thinner.

dandy-candy your 47 steps made me laugh then nod my head. My extra steps are just as likely to be in search of food.

zafiro don't feel bad. You've had a hard time physically, it takes a while to get your head round at least one of your ops.

Rose I hope you had a lovely birthday. I certainly did. Cake was featured.....

kazwookie you're not letting the team down. With the exception of a couple of people we're not fast or greatly successful dieters. That's why we're doing this the old style way with friends. If our dieting habits had to be labelled they'd be the "B" roads of dieting rather than the motorway.

Izadora well done, keep at it. It's not so much about trying harder but about finding ways to create new habits instead of slipping back into the old ones.

s_glover I'm glad your mouth is better

MrsL thanks for your birthday advice. I had the cake thank you

By some almighty miracle (I think eating out Sunday lunch time was balanced out by only having room for a slice of cake in the evening) my weight has STS this week. Hopefully the running will start things moving downwards again. It's likely to make me hungry at first though so I'm going to get some plastic tubs out of the cupboard and make myself my own version of a salad bar in my own fridge. Sweetcorn, chopped beetroot, chopped onions, cold pasta, cucumber, tomatoes.....it's so much easier to eat healthily if all you have to do is put it on your plate.

Take care all of you
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 21st May 19, 7:13 AM
    • 1,694 Posts
    • 23,666 Thanks
    dumpling
    Hi everyone
    Your salad bar sounds just the ticket Cranky, I will copy you I think as it is all the chopping and prep that puts me off. Just doing it every few days will be much more appealing.

Hello all, I'm just popping in to see how you are all doing . I have restarted with weightwatchers and I am just doing my first week. So far so good but I was very disheartened initially when I weighed and found myself at my heaviest again. Never mind, if I don't keep trying then there will be no good outcome for me. I even bought an extra long tape measure and measured my bust, waist and hips so I have a record of my start.

I am trying to shake my meals up a bit too and to that end I am going to have several meatless meals a week and eat a lot more veg and fruit. I had greek yoghurt and berries for breakfast, I am going to make a fancy schmancy salad for lunch and will make a moroccan spiced shepherdess pie with lentils for dinner. Actually my fancy salad has lentils in it too so that will be (parp) interesting .

Well, I am off to make a cup of tea so I will love you and leave you, take care xx

• s_glover
    • By s_glover 21st May 19, 7:45 AM
    • 506 Posts
    • 1,629 Thanks
    s_glover
    Really pleased to report another loss of 3.5lbs this week. Getting ever closer to the target but I think the hardest part is yet to come.

kazwookie - you are by no means letting the side down. We all have good and bad times. That's why we're here, not to make you feel bad but to encourage, support and share the journey.

dumpling -try not to be too disheartened. You need a baseline to know where you started, take that feeling and let it spur you on to make progress. I like your idea of shaking up meals. I find a good variety of meals is key to keeping things interesting. We actually don't eat a that much meat and usually have several meat free meals a week. I love mixing things up with salads and trying new things. I recently discovered edamame beans make a lovely addition, either warm or cold and you can buy them frozen..
    Last edited by s_glover; 21-05-2019 at 7:48 AM.
    • K9zz
    • By K9zz 21st May 19, 9:45 AM
    • 36 Posts
    • 371 Thanks
    K9zz
    I’m back, got over my little temper tantrum(!) and been experimenting with the messages. I THINK I have finally figured out to do the messages so I’ll carry on posting if that’s OK?
    So my weight has been ever increasing again but had dropped a bit this morning (I’m a daily weigher) so I shall now do my darnedest to keep it rolling downwards.
    Food today is several milky coffees through the day, lots of water and dinner of beef casserole and cauliflower followed by no carb Bircher with a few stewed berries as dessert.
    Luv & hugs to all,
    K9zz
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 21st May 19, 1:31 PM
    • 1,463 Posts
    • 11,299 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Thanks Cranky those thoughts appreciated. Next op already booked for Jan/Feb next year. Hopefully it will be my final op as I will be totally bionic.

I aim to lose 4-5 stone before then, a huge mountain to climb.

This week 2.5 lbs which is a start
    November 2018 42.83/100
    • MrsLottie
    • By MrsLottie 21st May 19, 1:33 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 1,466 Thanks
    MrsLottie
    Lovely to see you back Dumpling !
    Kazwooky no way are you letting anyone down ,everyone here gets fed up sometimes especially when we’ve tried hard , but the brilliant thing is we all get up and try again. That’s got to make us all winners.
    K9zz glad to see you back - I find technology a bit frustrating too but like you always have another go a bit later.
    Cranky thanks for the salad bar idea and great that you’re getting into your busy schedule ��
    S-Glover ,well done that’s a magnificent amount to shed ! ��
    Keep going everyone !
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 22nd May 19, 8:49 AM
    • 3,287 Posts
    • 36,174 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Old Style Weight Loss Challenge 2019 Second Quarter

01/04/19 - 30/06/19

Imperial (lbs)

Brambling 5/10 -/////STS//
    chocolatebum 5/14 -///STS/STS/STS//
    Cranky 3/9 -//STS//STS/STS//STS
    dandy-candy 0.5/7 -//STS///STS/STS/
    Doing it my way 0/13 -/-/-/STS/-/-/-/
    ellie99 3/10 //-/STS/-//STS/
    enthusiastic saver 8/14//////-/
    fit and freaky 2/18 -//-/-/-/-/-/
    Gingerlily 1.5/14 -///////STS
    GreenEcoGirl +2/11 -/STS//-/-/-/-/
    hatful of hollow 2/11 -/-/-//-/-/-/
    Iheartichokeyou 0/10 -/-/-/-/-/-/-/
    Izadora 0/18 -///////
    K9zz 1/12 -////-///
    katiepants 6/13 -///-/-/-/-/
    kazwookie 3/12 -////STS/STS/-/STS
    MovingForwards 13/20 ///////
    MrsLottie 1/7 //////;STS/
    Munchin 0.5/10 -///STS//STS//
    Rose Wood 3/7 -///STS/STS/STS/-/
    s_glover 12/16 -/STS/STS/////
    SIRENS 3.5/10 -//////STS/
    star trek fan 1/14 -///-///-/
    VickyV 11/16 -///////
    zafiro1984 2.5/14 -/-/-/-/-/-/-/

Metric (kg)

butterfly2507 0.2/9 -////-/-/

Weight Loss week 1 ..................8.0 lbs
    Weight Loss week 2 ............... 35.0 lbs & +0.5 kg
    Weight Loss week 3..................12.5 lbs & 0.7 kg
    Weight Loss week 4....................8.5 lbs & 1.0 kg
    Weight Loss week 5....................4.0 lbs
    Weight Loss week 6 ..................14.0 lbs
    Weight Loss week 7 ....................5.0 lbs
    Weight Loss week 8 ....................7.5 lbs
    Last edited by CRANKY40; 22-05-2019 at 4:14 PM.
    • Rose Wood
    • By Rose Wood 22nd May 19, 8:14 PM
    • 859 Posts
    • 9,440 Thanks
    Rose Wood
    Evening Everyone

I've just got back from work as I nipped in for an hour to cover a busy bit. I'm in the middle of ironing loads of DS's shirts but just taking a quick break.

I had a lovely day - a walk, swim, DS for lunch and then tennis. I should have done 24,000 steps by bedtime.

Lunch: Scrambled eggs with avocado, spinach, tomato and cucumber.
    Dinner: Prawns in a creamy dill sauce with mushrooms on a bed of courgette noodles.
    Snack: 2 slices of ham filled with grated cheddar
    Treat: Small bar of dark chocolate.

Rose
    Target 8st 12

• Brambling
    • By Brambling 22nd May 19, 8:27 PM
    • 955 Posts
    • 5,238 Thanks
    Brambling
    Weigh In
    Evening all

STS please Cranky. I'm not happy as I have been good this week, my interim weigh in on Monday showed a good lost so I'm not sure what I've done in the last three days oh well start again tomorrow

Nice to see you back Dumpling i have better weigh losses when I have meat free days or eat a lot of fish. I think mixing up what you eat does help

B - banana, peach and berries
    L - smoked salmon and egg salad
    D - bacon sandwich - I will admit to being a little annoyed at the STS so ate what I shouldn't especially the bread which doesn't like me
    S - pear and grapes, FF Greek yogurt
    • SIRENS
    • By SIRENS 23rd May 19, 7:46 PM
    • 839 Posts
    • 4,864 Thanks
    SIRENS
    Weigh in
    I'm with Brambling with a disappointing sts

I thought I'd been good this week, have done 3 of my c25k runs, but nothing

I'm not holding out much hope for next week either what with the bank hol plus I'm off the rest of the week with the kids ho hum.

B muesli, nat yog, fruit
    L cooked by a work colleague as we had a baby shower work, was spicy fried rice, with veg, plantain and jerk chicken, was rather spicy but delicious. I did manage to keep my hands of the cakes I'd made though!
    D spinach and ricotta cannaloni, garlic bread and salad

Think I need to draw a line under today.
    'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess
    • s_glover
    • By s_glover 24th May 19, 7:49 AM
    • 506 Posts
    • 1,629 Thanks
    s_glover
    Sirens - as you say, draw a line under yesterday. Today is a new day. look forwards not back

I've had a good couple of days. had a lovely run on Wednesday lunchtime. Was working from home yesterday with lots of workmen in and out of the house. Was sitting on my bum most of the days but had a productive evening with some more painting. Hoping to enjoy the sunshine with a lunchtime walk today.

I've signed up to an app called BetterPoints, it tracks your activity, walking, running etc and gives you points and entries into prize draws which can be exchanged for vouchers. I've only had it a couple of days so not sure how good it will be but thought it was worth a try.

It'll be another busy weekend, starting with Parkrun tomorrow. More decorating and garden jobs to be done and maybe a social run on Monday too.

Hope you all have a lovely bank holiday weekend.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

427Posts Today

4,592Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin