Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 11th Jan 19, 10:57 AM
    • 2,509Posts
    • 10,790Thanks
    teapot2
    Life is a minestrone as the song says - my new diary
    • 11th Jan 19, 10:57 AM
    Life is a minestrone as the song says - my new diary 11th Jan 19 at 10:57 AM
    Hello all,

I had a diary on this board a few years ago when OH and I were working towards being MF which we managed in mid 2014. That diary is here; https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2676587

My last post on there was about starting a new diary which didn't happen. Life is now very different and although I'm MF, I'd like to re-start a diary here [if you'll have me] as this feels like 'home'

Not long after I last posted my OH was diagnosed with a rare and aggressive cancer and life changed completely. This was a huge shock to both of us and we became immersed in the world of cancer treatment and learned a whole new language. Briefly, OH was in remission for 18 months then had a relapse which was terminal and died just over a year ago.

I don't want this to be a gloomy diary though I still have many sad days but I do feel I need to get a grip on my finances and some sort of planning in place for the future and I hope writing about these and getting feedback from others [hopefully] will help with keeping me on track.

I've been reading a few diaries but not posting as yet but have already got some thoughts about possible ways forward. I haven't lost all my MS ways in my absence from here but circumstances have not always been conducive to frugality I'll post again later about where I am financially.
Page 2
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 15th Jan 19, 9:22 AM
    • 2,509 Posts
    • 10,790 Thanks
    teapot2
    Morning CR, tablet has a different texture to fudge and is possibly even sweeter depending on the recipe of which there are many. Now that I'm thinking about it, the difference is quite hard to describe. Tablet is maybe firmer when you bite into it and a bit more 'grainy' though not in an unpleasant way.

Its the sort of recipe that people hand down through the generations. I think that though delicious, tablet is full of ingredients that are frowned on these days. For example a typical recipe might include;

125g butter, plus extra to grease
    1kg golden sugar (granulated or caster)
    ½ tsp salt
    250ml whole milk
    350ml condensed milk
    ½ tsp vanilla extract (optional)

Don't know if that is making anything clearer though but one things for sure, they are both delicious! We used to make tablet to raise funds when I was in the Guides or for cake sales and it was always very popular.

Its an occasional treat now and I haven't made any for years, does your DD1 make fudge often? Too tempting....
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 15th Jan 19, 9:25 AM
    • 434 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    My word thats alot of sugar . Thanks for the recipe will have to get DD1 to give it a go. She only makes fudge now and again, usually for people's birthdays.
    CRx
    Mortgage £82,000, due to end July 2036. 18/1/2019 Mortgage £79,150.55
    #67 mortgage free wannabe 2019 £157.48/£800
    • greent
    • By greent 15th Jan 19, 5:37 PM
    • 8,193 Posts
    • 83,237 Thanks
    greent
    Tablet's gorgeous! CR - the texture is somewhat crumbly - a bit like the edge pieces of a batch of fudge can be sometimes.

Hello teapot! I remember your name of old Sorry to hear that life's been rather rough since you were last on here x

I'm looking into joining Circle for cashing out on pr0lific - if I get organised and do it in the next couple of days I'll let you know how it goes! (Don't hold your breath, though!!! )

x

ps: thanks to your diary title I keep humming the line 'Life is a Mystery...' from Madonna's 'Like a Prayer'- I know that's not the title, but it's how my brain reacted!
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £3757/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £518.64/£500
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 15th Jan 19, 8:44 PM
    • 2,509 Posts
    • 10,790 Thanks
    teapot2
    My word thats alot of sugar . Thanks for the recipe will have to get DD1 to give it a go. She only makes fudge now and again, usually for people's birthdays.
    CRx
    Originally posted by the cross rabbit
    Yes, sugar and condensed milk eek!! There are lots of recipes on t'internet, as I haven't made any for years I'm not sure what recipe I used to use.

Think now I'd only make things like that for presents or like your DD1 for birthdays otherwise the temptation for me is to eat it if its not earmarked for someone else
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 15th Jan 19, 8:49 PM
    • 2,509 Posts
    • 10,790 Thanks
    teapot2
    Hello teapot! I remember your name of old Sorry to hear that life's been rather rough since you were last on here x

I'm looking into joining Circle for cashing out on pr0lific - if I get organised and do it in the next couple of days I'll let you know how it goes! (Don't hold your breath, though!!! )

x

ps: thanks to your diary title I keep humming the line 'Life is a Mystery...' from Madonna's 'Like a Prayer'- I know that's not the title, but it's how my brain reacted!
    Originally posted by greent
    Hi greent, thanks for dropping by, I do remember your name as well from before. Thanks, I'll be interested to know how you get on with Circle when you get round to it x

Sorry for passing on the Madonna earworm I'm singing it now too!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Jan 19, 9:00 AM
    • 32,418 Posts
    • 191,590 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Love that song
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 16th Jan 19, 9:11 AM
    • 2,509 Posts
    • 10,790 Thanks
    teapot2
    Yesterday was a NSD, I had tea at my niece's otherwise was indoors.

She had picked up some new recycling box covers for me which is very helpful. The covers seem to be very cheaply made and the elastic stretches so that the covers don't fit tightly after a time. At this time of year its often windy so the recycling gets blown all over the place. The daft thing is the recycling box covers are not recyclable so they have to go in the landfill

Today will not be a NSD as I'm getting a haircut which I'm looking forward to as its been a few months. Will probably treat myself to a coffee as well and look for a replacement to the cat wee tea strainer

After that I really 'must' knuckle down and do some work on my accounts
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Jan 19, 9:18 AM
    • 67,026 Posts
    • 303,413 Thanks
    beanielou
    Happy new hair
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14. MFW. 17 months to mortgage freedom.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 16th Jan 19, 9:28 AM
    • 2,509 Posts
    • 10,790 Thanks
    teapot2
    LOL 'twill be same old grey hair - just a bit less of it
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 16th Jan 19, 12:46 PM
    • 752 Posts
    • 2,236 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Hi teapot, happy new diary.

Sorry to hear about your hubby. You sound really motivated and I'm sure will soon get rid of the debt.

I make a lot of fudge and find nigella's the best and only uses 800g sugar. A lot more butter though! Never had a bad batch, I'll see if I can find you a recipe link x
    SPC 090 - Smashing the target currently £1208.11 / £500 from extra income in 2019 and still a small copper jar to count
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 16th Jan 19, 12:47 PM
    • 752 Posts
    • 2,236 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    https://www.nigella.com/recipes/vanilla-fudge Warning : it never keeps!
    SPC 090 - Smashing the target currently £1208.11 / £500 from extra income in 2019 and still a small copper jar to count
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 16th Jan 19, 9:36 PM
    • 2,509 Posts
    • 10,790 Thanks
    teapot2
    Thanks Choccygirl [great name], I like a bit of Nigella

77 pieces though! I'd definitely need to have an occasion to make this for My niece's OH has a birthday next month so that might be a time to try and do some tasting in the interests of quality control
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Jan 19, 10:00 PM
    • 67,026 Posts
    • 303,413 Thanks
    beanielou
    Thanks Choccygirl [great name], I like a bit of Nigella

77 pieces though! I'd definitely need to have an occasion to make this for My niece's OH has a birthday next month so that might be a time to try and do some tasting in the interests of quality control
    Originally posted by teapot2
    Happy to help with the quality control

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 16th Jan 19, 10:16 PM
    • 2,509 Posts
    • 10,790 Thanks
    teapot2
    LOL its a deal Beanie - always good to get a second opinion
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 16th Jan 19, 10:53 PM
    • 2,509 Posts
    • 10,790 Thanks
    teapot2
    So, I knew today wouldn't be a NSD, £12 for my haircut and then £4.30 for a coffee and a scone. Pleased with my haircut, I feel more like myself again as my hair was in a state.

Came home and had a shower as I hate the tiny bits of hair getting in all my nooks and crannies Finished the soup for lunch so in the afternoon I made some more yellow split pea and veg soup as its soup weather and made some qu@rn mince and veg. Some went into a shepherds pie and the rest I'll use up with some spaghetti. So thats a few meals sorted. I'm trying not to use as much plastic this year so I covered the pie with a beeswax food wrap instead of cling film. I got the food wraps at Christmas but didn't realise they only last about a year

I got a potato ricer last year with a survey voucher and its great for doing toppings as you use a lot less potato and it comes out all crinkly so crisps up in the oven - yum.

Weather forecast on my phone says 'snow' and looking out its wet but not lying as snow so hopefully I'll be able to go out tomorrow as I've had an online sale I'd like to post. The old furry boy wanted to go out so I opened the back door and he stuck his nose out and quickly reversed, it certainly cold enough for snow
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Jan 19, 11:39 PM
    • 67,026 Posts
    • 303,413 Thanks
    beanielou
    My old boy shoots out the cat flap and back quickly these days and not for long.
    Only a few months til he is 19. ��

***Keep plodding***
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 17th Jan 19, 8:06 AM
    • 434 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Hi your beewax wraps can be reused you just need to grate bees wax onto the wrap put into the oven and when it melts spread the wax with a knife. Take it out and hang to dry. I'm sure if you go on pintrest it will have more detailed instructions than I've given you.
    CRx
    Mortgage £82,000, due to end July 2036. 18/1/2019 Mortgage £79,150.55
    #67 mortgage free wannabe 2019 £157.48/£800
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 17th Jan 19, 10:07 AM
    • 2,509 Posts
    • 10,790 Thanks
    teapot2
    My old boy shoots out the cat flap and back quickly these days and not for long.
    Only a few months til he is 19. ��
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Thats a grand age Beanie, my old furry boy will be 18 in a few months. He is getting even more eccentric in his old age but I love him dearly
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 17th Jan 19, 10:12 AM
    • 2,509 Posts
    • 10,790 Thanks
    teapot2
    Hi your beewax wraps can be reused you just need to grate bees wax onto the wrap put into the oven and when it melts spread the wax with a knife. Take it out and hang to dry. I'm sure if you go on pintrest it will have more detailed instructions than I've given you.
    CRx
    Originally posted by the cross rabbit
    Thanks CR, thats good to know, as I've only just started using them they should be ok for a while. I saw on Facecloth that someone was doing a workshop locally on making the beeswax wraps so its obviously a 'thing' now.

I have to confess I don't really know anything about Pintrest other than the name or how it works - will have to look into it
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Jan 19, 1:10 PM
    • 67,026 Posts
    • 303,413 Thanks
    beanielou
    Thats a grand age Beanie, my old furry boy will be 18 in a few months. He is getting even more eccentric in his old age but I love him dearly
    Originally posted by teapot2
    I love my best boy to bits
    He is actually becoming more affectionate

***Keep plodding***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,347Posts Today

6,610Users online

Martin's Twitter