Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 11th Jan 19, 10:57 AM
    • 2,218Posts
    • 9,023Thanks
    teapot2
    Life is a minestrone as the song says - my new diary
    • 11th Jan 19, 10:57 AM
    Life is a minestrone as the song says - my new diary 11th Jan 19 at 10:57 AM
    Hello all,

I had a diary on this board a few years ago when OH and I were working towards being MF which we managed in mid 2014. That diary is here; https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2676587

My last post on there was about starting a new diary which didn't happen. Life is now very different and although I'm MF, I'd like to re-start a diary here [if you'll have me] as this feels like 'home'

Not long after I last posted my OH was diagnosed with a rare and aggressive cancer and life changed completely. This was a huge shock to both of us and we became immersed in the world of cancer treatment and learned a whole new language. Briefly, OH was in remission for 18 months then had a relapse which was terminal and died just over a year ago.

I don't want this to be a gloomy diary though I still have many sad days but I do feel I need to get a grip on my finances and some sort of planning in place for the future and I hope writing about these and getting feedback from others [hopefully] will help with keeping me on track.

I've been reading a few diaries but not posting as yet but have already got some thoughts about possible ways forward. I haven't lost all my MS ways in my absence from here but circumstances have not always been conducive to frugality I'll post again later about where I am financially.
Page 18
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th May 19, 10:17 AM
    • 63,847 Posts
    • 283,278 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on the extra work
    Have a good weekend
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th May 19, 4:07 PM
    • 31,688 Posts
    • 187,019 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That's good to get those extra hours - and reassuring to know of 3 years funding, the year to year stuff is always horrible, I think.
    Hope you enjoyed the cs shopping
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th May 19, 5:19 PM
    • 63,847 Posts
    • 283,278 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope that you got a nice top or two

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 12th May 19, 11:19 AM
    • 2,218 Posts
    • 9,023 Thanks
    teapot2
    No tops bought in the charity shops, there were some nice shirts but I don't do ironing so they're were a no no. I'll keep looking though and will hopefully get something. I did manage to buy myself 3 books in one CS so that will keep me going for a wee while . I also bought some fruit in Tosco and had a coffee in Cost@lot. I was fancying one of those Portuguese custard tarts but they didn't have any so had a cookie which was really not very nice so won't be having that again. 'Bought' the coffee with card points though so not toooo spendy.

I spent about 45 minutes on the phone yesterday applying to get a credit limit increase of 1000 on one of my 0% CC. It was agreed in principle but I have to go into a branch with ID and proof of address. What a faff but hopefully it will be worth it. My plan is to do a balance transfer up to the new credit limit from my other 0% CC and then pay off the smaller one before it stops being 0% at the end of this year. I'm also not going to add any purchases on to those CCs and will use a different one to pay for things like food shops, vet costs, pet food etc and pay that off in full every month. I don't know if that makes any sense to anyone else but I'm hoping it will help me to be more focused and pay off this debt as soon as I can, its currently 3320
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th May 19, 11:22 AM
    • 63,847 Posts
    • 283,278 Thanks
    beanielou
    That makes perfect sense.
    I have one I chip away at & one I pay off whenever I use it.

***Keep plodding***
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 14th May 19, 8:34 PM
    • 2,218 Posts
    • 9,023 Thanks
    teapot2
    Gulp, have been knocked sideways this last couple of days. I discovered there are damp patches on the bedroom ceilings upstairs. They are dormer windows directly below a flat roof so its not exactly an unknown problem. I've contacted a local roofing firm who have a good reputation and they've had a look under the felt. We had the roof re-felted a few years ago as we knew there could be problems with a flat roof like that. Turns out the guy who did it made a real botch job and has made things much worse so its going to cost over 4k to sort out. Basically he sealed the damp in and all the wood has rotted etc.

Family have offered to lend me some money (for which I'm really grateful) and the rest is coming from my emergency fund and current account. This will bring my total owings up to nearly 6k including the CC debt. Am gutted
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th May 19, 9:19 PM
    • 63,847 Posts
    • 283,278 Thanks
    beanielou
    Gulp, have been knocked sideways this last couple of days. I discovered there are damp patches on the bedroom ceilings upstairs. They are dormer windows directly below a flat roof so its not exactly an unknown problem. I've contacted a local roofing firm who have a good reputation and they've had a look under the felt. We had the roof re-felted a few years ago as we knew there could be problems with a flat roof like that. Turns out the guy who did it made a real botch job and has made things much worse so its going to cost over 4k to sort out. Basically he sealed the damp in and all the wood has rotted etc.

Family have offered to lend me some money (for which I'm really grateful) and the rest is coming from my emergency fund and current account. This will bring my total owings up to nearly 6k including the CC debt. Am gutted
    Originally posted by teapot2
    So sorry to read this.
    This is dire.
    Glad family can help out though.

***Keep plodding***
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 18th May 19, 4:53 PM
    • 2,218 Posts
    • 9,023 Thanks
    teapot2
    Not posted for a few days, just been really upset about the roof and money situation. However I need pull my big girl pants up [over my head] and get on with it and find ways to earn more.

One thing that occurs to me is matched betting so have been trying to get my head round that.

I think I need to put myself 'out there' more for work but that will involve spending money first in the hope that it attracts work. Will look into that.

There are quite a few things around that I could try to sell on ebay and I keep putting things aside HOWEVER, I never actually list anything so surprise, nothing sells . I don't really know what I'm doing on ebay so need to try and find a simple guide if such a thing exists.

I'll keep thinking to see if there is anything else I can do.
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 18th May 19, 5:02 PM
    • 2,218 Posts
    • 9,023 Thanks
    teapot2
    Withdrew 20.25 from Prolific yesterday so stuck that in my CA as that is 1k lighter than it was

I'm starting a wee bit more work in the coming week, it just brings me back up to the hours I was doing before I had to take time off when OH got his terminal diagnosis but it will help a bit.

I went into an H S B C branch in the city yesterday to show them proof of address as the final step in getting a credit limit increase approved. I'm planning to move some of the H@lifax CC debt over to there but if I move the maximum it will be nearly 55 in fees so I need to think carefully about what I'm doing. I have until the end of June to move it so no rush.

I made some dahl and have frozen a few portions as I thought that would be cheap and filling. I have a few potatoes sprouting in the cupboard so I'll make and freeze fishcakes tomorrow.

Its been very wet here and cold today, bit of a shock after a few days of lovely warm weather. Was hoping to do some gardening today and get more weeds out but too wet
    Last edited by teapot2; 18-05-2019 at 5:04 PM.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 18th May 19, 5:11 PM
    • 31,688 Posts
    • 187,019 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I'm so sorry to hear the news about the roof, teapot that's a big thing to suddenly *have* to do

Can you lay out the steps you might take, to find more work, on here? Writing it out can really help, though of course it might feel too identifying.

Matched betting can be amazing - I'm sorry, I can't remember if you saw Cheery's posts about it recently - I made about 1k in a year when I did it, and she's already made around 1.1k in just a few months. Really worth doing if you follow the rules.
    Retired August 2016
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 18th May 19, 9:05 PM
    • 2,218 Posts
    • 9,023 Thanks
    teapot2
    I'm so sorry to hear the news about the roof, teapot that's a big thing to suddenly *have* to do

Can you lay out the steps you might take, to find more work, on here? Writing it out can really help, though of course it might feel too identifying.

Matched betting can be amazing - I'm sorry, I can't remember if you saw Cheery's posts about it recently - I made about 1k in a year when I did it, and she's already made around 1.1k in just a few months. Really worth doing if you follow the rules.
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Thanks KC, its been shocking and I didn't have time to get several quotes as it needed sorting urgently before the ceilings came down

I was just thinking of putting my details on at least one website that I know attracts work for others in the field - there's a monthly charge but it might pay for itself if I get work from it.

I did see Cheery's posts about the MB which made me think of trying so am hoping I can work out how to do it. Thats great that you did so well with it.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 19th May 19, 9:48 AM
    • 63,847 Posts
    • 283,278 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good idea to try the website.
    Sadly I have never got my head round matched betting.

***Keep plodding***
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 19th May 19, 9:11 PM
    • 2,218 Posts
    • 9,023 Thanks
    teapot2
    Good idea to try the website.
    Sadly I have never got my head round matched betting.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Not sure I will either, its going to take a while to sink in I think
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 19th May 19, 9:18 PM
    • 2,218 Posts
    • 9,023 Thanks
    teapot2
    Much warmer this morning, replied to some emails and texts and completed a job reference for someone. Thought I might do some gardening but by then it had clouded over and was raining.

Instead I did a washing and hoovered through then made fish cakes as planned. Had some for tea and put the rest in the freezer for another day.

Just chilled out this evening and watched a few programmes I'd recorded.
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 21st May 19, 9:12 PM
    • 2,218 Posts
    • 9,023 Thanks
    teapot2
    NSD. Went out for a coffee with family today, tiny humans are so in the moment, I love it

Went in to work afterwards and luckily managed to dodge some really heavy showers which I hadn't realised were forecast. Been reading up about matched betting so going to give it a go but take it slowly.

Nothing else to report, going to resubmit an invoice in a moment as its been caught up in confusion about which part of the organisation is paying it Also need to write a diplomatically worded email to ask if one of my main self employed jobs can be consistent about when my invoices are paid. It never used to be a problem, I'd submit an invoice at the end of a month and it would be paid a couple of weeks later unless the finance person was on leave. Theres been a change of manager in this service and its all over the place now which makes budgeting tricky.

I've got an online sale to pack as well so better get a wriggle on as the evening is fast disappearing.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 22nd May 19, 6:55 PM
    • 31,688 Posts
    • 187,019 Thanks
    Karmacat
    How lovely to have tiny humans to admire!

On the matched betting, the only thing that let me do it and feel safe doing it, was that I set up the bets several days in advance, and went back the next day to check on them - it gave me real peace of mind, that not only I didn't care about the outcome, as should always be the case of course, but also that I felt secure that I'd done the thing correctly.
    Retired August 2016
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 22nd May 19, 10:26 PM
    • 2,218 Posts
    • 9,023 Thanks
    teapot2
    How lovely to have tiny humans to admire!

On the matched betting, the only thing that let me do it and feel safe doing it, was that I set up the bets several days in advance, and went back the next day to check on them - it gave me real peace of mind, that not only I didn't care about the outcome, as should always be the case of course, but also that I felt secure that I'd done the thing correctly.
    I do enjoy time with the small people in my life.

Thats good advice about the matched betting, I think I'd feel better if I could go back and check things so will try that.
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 22nd May 19, 10:41 PM
    • 2,218 Posts
    • 9,023 Thanks
    teapot2
    This morning, I wrote an email asking for some consistency in when I'm paid for some of my self employed work. I left it for a while then went back and re-read it before sending. I've heard back already and hopefully it will help.

Washed all the towels and hung them outside as quite a warm and breezy day. Went out and posted the online sale and sent off my postal vote too. Bought more bread as run out and also got more bird seed. I know its not an essential but I've fed them for years and I know lots will have babies at the moment so I don't want to stop. So not a NSD but a LSD at least.

I cooked a sort of stew with qu@rn mince, veg and a tin of mixed beans that had been in the cupboard for a v long time . Topped it with mash and it was surprisingly nice. Will have the rest tomorrow night on top of a baked potato. Have ordered an online shop for delivery on Monday but trying not to buy too much before then foodwise. Might need to get more bits of veg though.

Did a bit of work on the phone this afternoon so it was good not having to commute. Doing the same tomorrow for an hour or so
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 23rd May 19, 8:13 AM
    • 31,688 Posts
    • 187,019 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That sounds a pretty big decision on the email - and it also sounds like it may have worked out already, great news if that's so. And feeding birdies is very important, yknow - I was reading an article tother day that people feeding birds in the garden has become a nationally important food source nowadays. Hope today goes as well as yesterday.
    Retired August 2016
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 23rd May 19, 10:54 AM
    • 2,218 Posts
    • 9,023 Thanks
    teapot2
    That sounds a pretty big decision on the email - and it also sounds like it may have worked out already, great news if that's so. And feeding birdies is very important, yknow - I was reading an article tother day that people feeding birds in the garden has become a nationally important food source nowadays. Hope today goes as well as yesterday.
    Thanks KC, it looks like I won't be paid until next Thursday as now been told finance person on A/L but if my email sorts things out a bit going forward then that would be good. TBH I suspect the manager I submit my invoice to doesn't prioritise passing it on for payment so it hangs around

Think I may have read the same article about bird feeding and there was a slot about it on R4 as well. Apparently some people have quite unusual birds visiting their bird tables and feeders.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

272Posts Today

3,800Users online

Martin's Twitter