Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • oozle1989
    • By oozle1989 7th Jan 19, 9:26 AM
    • 305Posts
    • 336Thanks
    oozle1989
    New front door - how much!!
    • 7th Jan 19, 9:26 AM
    New front door - how much!! 7th Jan 19 at 9:26 AM
    We have been quoted £3,213.40 for a new front door and side panel window from Anglian. I was quite shocked at how expensive it was and wasn’t expecting it to be that much. This was for their basic PVC range and after applying all their various discounts for recycling, marketing etc!

Can anyone give me some costs to compare too as this is our first house and i've never bought a new door before. I might be being naive but I had a figure in my head of around £1000!

The specs are

Door: 890mm x 2050mm
    Casement Window; 1230mm x 2050mm
Page 1
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 7th Jan 19, 9:31 AM
    • 3,439 Posts
    • 2,063 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 7th Jan 19, 9:31 AM
    • 7th Jan 19, 9:31 AM
    Avoid the big nationals, contact a couple of local companies for quotes. I think you should be able to get a quote for around your price for a basic uPVC door with sidepanel including fitting.
    • Alfrescodave
    • By Alfrescodave 7th Jan 19, 9:47 AM
    • 682 Posts
    • 407 Thanks
    Alfrescodave
    • 7th Jan 19, 9:47 AM
    • 7th Jan 19, 9:47 AM
    Definitely look at the small locals - my son found similar prices to you when looking for front door. Went with local firm which cost him £1200 and the service was excellent.
    • FabFifty
    • By FabFifty 7th Jan 19, 9:53 AM
    • 98 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    FabFifty
    • 7th Jan 19, 9:53 AM
    • 7th Jan 19, 9:53 AM
    I would agree with avoiding the big national firms. We changed all the windows & doors in our house using a local firm who charged 1/3 of the price quoted by a national firm.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 7th Jan 19, 10:03 AM
    • 4,376 Posts
    • 2,806 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 7th Jan 19, 10:03 AM
    • 7th Jan 19, 10:03 AM
    We have been quoted £3,213.40 for a new front door and side panel window from Anglian. ................
    Originally posted by oozle1989

Was this before or after the salesman rang his manager to see if the special price of the previous week could be given to you as a "special customer" ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • Cisco001
    • By Cisco001 7th Jan 19, 10:11 AM
    • 3,074 Posts
    • 1,326 Thanks
    Cisco001
    • 7th Jan 19, 10:11 AM
    • 7th Jan 19, 10:11 AM
    I am looking for a new front door as well.
    Which national firm should I be avoid?

I am am at brimngham area. Any recommendation for a small firm?
    • oozle1989
    • By oozle1989 7th Jan 19, 10:15 AM
    • 305 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    oozle1989
    • 7th Jan 19, 10:15 AM
    • 7th Jan 19, 10:15 AM
    Was this before or after the salesman rang his manager to see if the special price of the previous week could be given to you as a "special customer" ?
    Originally posted by Robin9
    Ha ha he actually did try ringing his manager, said he would be able to get it down to 3k for us but he needed his managers approval. His manager didn't pick up.
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 7th Jan 19, 10:30 AM
    • 3,439 Posts
    • 2,063 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 7th Jan 19, 10:30 AM
    • 7th Jan 19, 10:30 AM
    I am looking for a new front door as well.
    Which national firm should I be avoid?
    Originally posted by Cisco001
    All of them.
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 7th Jan 19, 10:34 AM
    • 3,439 Posts
    • 2,063 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 7th Jan 19, 10:34 AM
    • 7th Jan 19, 10:34 AM
    Originally posted by Robin9
    An honest firm would measure up, give you a brief sales spiel and offer their best price.

The national firms' approach is to come round, measure up, spend at least an hour on their sales pitch, a lot of that spent bashing their small local competitors (e.g. "small companies go out of business all the time, we are a bit national and won't so you won't have to worry about after-sales support"), telling you how much better their product is than other companies (spoiler: there's very little difference) before giving you an eye-watering quote that's many multiples of what it should be, hoping you're gullible enough to accept it. If you're not, then they will start with their numerous little "tricks" to get the price down until you accept: "can we use your home in our brochure?", "I'll just need to call my manager", "we're doing a special offer but you need to accept today...".

I know who I'd rather give my money to.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 7th Jan 19, 10:39 AM
    • 2,326 Posts
    • 1,992 Thanks
    Carrot007
    Best value I found was to go to a place they only sells the doors. That means it is designed for mostly trade only. Ask them to recomend a fitter who they think is ok (they will know the good ones). Fitter comes and measures up. Orders the door. You pay for the door direct. Fitter collects and you pay him £150 for the fitting. Composite door ditted (no extra panels but certainly not the cheapest composite they offerd by any means) dfor £750. Now 3 years later and no issues.

Most local comapnies will just end up going to a place like this anyway. Much cheaper if you cut out the part where they pretend to make the door themselves and inflate the price becuaseyou have been to a national firm.
    • oozle1989
    • By oozle1989 7th Jan 19, 10:43 AM
    • 305 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    oozle1989
    Thanks everyone. My initial thought was that it was way overpriced but didn’t know whether I was just being a noob! I will look for local companies.
    • oozle1989
    • By oozle1989 7th Jan 19, 10:46 AM
    • 305 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    oozle1989
    An honest firm would measure up, give you a brief sales spiel and offer their best price.

The national firms' approach is to come round, measure up, spend at least an hour on their sales pitch, a lot of that spent bashing their small local competitors (e.g. "small companies go out of business all the time, we are a bit national and won't so you won't have to worry about after-sales support"), telling you how much better their product is than other companies (spoiler: there's very little difference) before giving you an eye-watering quote that's many multiples of what it should be, hoping you're gullible enough to accept it. If you're not, then they will start with their numerous little "tricks" to get the price down until you accept: "can we use your home in our brochure?", "I'll just need to call my manager", "we're doing a special offer but you need to accept today...".

I know who I'd rather give my money to.
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer
    Thats exactly what happened to me! The guy spent 2 hours in my house, probably half of that time was spent going through all of their certifications, code of practice and then bashing their competitors. I honestly through he would never leave.
    • king132
    • By king132 7th Jan 19, 11:21 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    king132
    I’ve just this week paid for a new composite front door with two side panels. 2m in total length. Wooden slab door, peep hole, letter box - all for £1.2k

If your front door is south facing then I would recommend paying a bit extra to get a wooden slab rather than foam filled. Less likely to warp and it’s a more solid.

Also look into Ultion Locks.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 7th Jan 19, 5:00 PM
    • 16,452 Posts
    • 22,738 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    We bought a new PVC front door and side panel from Safestyle about 4.5 years ago. A basic (although not cheapest) one.

It was exactly £1000 after haggling. A lot of haggling.

The local independent would have been just a tad over £1000 but had a 6 month waiting list, and our door was wooden and so rotten you could kick it open!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 7th Jan 19, 5:05 PM
    • 2,900 Posts
    • 394 Thanks
    britishboy
    We paid £800 (with no side window) fitted for a composite door (made by DoorStop I think)4 years ago, slam lock, fancy lock etc, was fitted in 1/2 a day (we're based in Essex). As others have said avoid Anglian and the nationals like the plague.

Better still, get your new fancy door fitted, then invite Anglian back to quote then slam your new door in the salesman face
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 7th Jan 19, 5:27 PM
    • 29,239 Posts
    • 62,060 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Better still, get your new fancy door fitted, then invite Anglian back to quote then slam your new door in the salesman face
    Originally posted by britishboy
    No residual bitterness I see
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • bpk101
    • By bpk101 8th Jan 19, 10:36 AM
    • 251 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    bpk101
    I just paid the following for a new timber front door in East London:

Door £280 from Todds Doors
    Glazing for door and fanlight £100 from local glass merchant

Builder / Carpenter to rip out old door and install new rebated door frame, door, glazing and all door furniture and locks
    £1000

Locks we went with Banhams, more expensive at £400 for the set but more secure in my opinion.

A few extras too including brass hinges (extra long screws) and security hinge bolts.
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 8th Jan 19, 11:23 AM
    • 2,900 Posts
    • 394 Thanks
    britishboy
    No residual bitterness I see
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse

None at all. They prey on the elderly and naive and enjoy ripping people off.
    • smudger1964
    • By smudger1964 8th Jan 19, 3:43 PM
    • 642 Posts
    • 266 Thanks
    smudger1964
    Give these people a go https://www.valuedoors.co.uk/..
    I have used them twice once for a composite front door and again for a upvc back one.The price you see is the price you pay no messing about with special managers discounts and sign today prices
    The fitted prices are listed on the website no smoke and mirrors
    Last edited by smudger1964; 08-01-2019 at 5:00 PM.
    • tonyh66
    • By tonyh66 8th Jan 19, 3:46 PM
    • 1,412 Posts
    • 974 Thanks
    tonyh66
    got a local joiner to fit new composite frontdoor and side panel less than £1000 (Inverness)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,322Posts Today

8,668Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin