Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 28th Nov 18, 1:34 PM
    • 1,571Posts
    • 8,484Thanks
    MandM90
    The Prepping Thread - A Newer Beginning ;)
    • 28th Nov 18, 1:34 PM
    The Prepping Thread - A Newer Beginning ;) 28th Nov 18 at 1:34 PM
    Thanks to fuddle for helping to keep your lovely thread safe from the spam gremlins by starting a new one. I've unstuck the old one, link below...

This will be the PREPPING thread inspired by this long running thread

and the second one which can be found here

Votes took place here on what this thread is designed primarily for outcome was as follows....

54% One thread please politics or not - all prep chat welcome
    11.29% Two threads - one Brexit based politics welcome, one general life based, preferred no politics
    19.35% One thread, no politics please, this is OS
    14.52% I don't honestly mind

So with these differing opinions, please bear this in mind and enjoy the thread Be respectful and enjoy the community. I really hope everyone's happy with the outcome. I tried to be as fair as I could.

Let's not forget the intermittent prepping thread

Guidelines

* All posters are welcome. This thread doesn't "belong" to anyone (not even me )

* Please be nice to all moneysavers

* Let's all draw a line in the sand and move on from previous threads and disagreements etc

* Would love to see new people joining in here and existing posters who have gone quiet for whatever reason

EVERYONE IS WELCOME

Enjoy the new thread Ladels and Jellyspoons. I've made this a sticky to ensure it gets a great start and lots of contribution.

ZIP

From the previous thread, let's not forget how this started - from vanoonoo

I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 3
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 29th Nov 18, 9:32 AM
    • 2,992 Posts
    • 37,321 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Just be careful where you store your loo roll! I stocked up once on a good special offer, and kept them on the shelves in the garage. Which turned out to be an expensive way of providing free bedding for mice... tins & jars ae safe out there, but anything remotely nibblable - will be.
    Angie

GC June 19 - £307.68/£400

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 29th Nov 18, 10:01 AM
    • 1,497 Posts
    • 23,513 Thanks
    Siebrie
    I'm lurking, too I am not exactly prepping for disaster, nor for Brexit, but I like keeping a good pantry (including non-food). This has become more important now that I lost my job and want to make the severance pay last as long as possible.

I made my first proper batch of tasty hummus, all items from the pantry.

We have a good stash of toiletries, camping equipment including gas burner, candles, blankets, matches. I use the chest freezer a lot, and am now taking the time to learn new cooking techniques.

I have for some time wanted to try solar cooking, and will over winter see if I can collect the materials and build my own solar oven, for use in spring and summer.
    2019's wi-wa-wombles € 345,45 = £ 231.23
    Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7116,68 = £ 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31 = £ 2,969.05
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 29th Nov 18, 2:07 PM
    • 13,311 Posts
    • 182,794 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    HWK has just been over to let the sweep in to do DD1s woodstove chimney, if you haven't had your chimney swept please consider getting it done before the colder weather promised in December gets here, chimney fires are not nice at all!
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 29th Nov 18, 2:22 PM
    • 9,459 Posts
    • 31,707 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Really not wanting to spread alarm & despondency amongst our beloved allotment fraternity but this story is surely Very Unusual, yes? I do appreciate feelings can run high - we've devout gardeners in the family after all, but dear heavens.
    • Cappella
    • By Cappella 29th Nov 18, 4:27 PM
    • 650 Posts
    • 8,748 Thanks
    Cappella
    DigForVictory
    Really not wanting to spread alarm & despondency amongst our beloved allotment fraternity but this story is surely Very Unusual, yes? I do appreciate feelings can run high - we've devout gardeners in the family after all, but dear heavens.
    Am I missing a link here? Or have I missed the story?
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 29th Nov 18, 4:54 PM
    • 6,062 Posts
    • 65,853 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Flour needs to be frozen for at least 48 hours to kill the nasties. Hope that's helpful.

I didn't know we had a new thread. Found it by accident. Nice but rather confused now. Feel rather surplus to requirements. Ah well. These things happen - and these days life is usually confusing
    Originally posted by Cappella
    Cappella You are certainly not surplus to requirements! ((HUGS))
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 29th Nov 18, 5:01 PM
    • 13,311 Posts
    • 182,794 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Oi Capella you're a diehard prepper, none better of course we need you, what are you thinking woman, prepping knickers on and off we go …..
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 29th Nov 18, 5:45 PM
    • 12,523 Posts
    • 241,187 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Oi Capella you're a diehard prepper, none better of course we need you, what are you thinking woman, prepping knickers on and off we go …..
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    I saw somewhere on a prepping website in the US that you can get camo undercrackers for him and her. Prepping pants and over-the-shoulder-boulder-holders, what could be more ........... something.

Wouldn't exactly camoflage me, with my lily-white skin peeking out around the camo keks, but the thought is amusing, is it not?

Cappella, sorry, we're not prepared for you to hand in your preptastic badge, you're stuck with us.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 29th Nov 18, 6:28 PM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 7,349 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    HWK has just been over to let the sweep in to do DD1s woodstove chimney, if you haven't had your chimney swept please consider getting it done before the colder weather promised in December gets here, chimney fires are not nice at all!
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    Ha this brought back a forgotten memory of 2 small children knocking on my door to tell me there was fire coming out of my chimney
    Major panic!
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 29th Nov 18, 6:36 PM
    • 6,671 Posts
    • 102,055 Thanks
    fuddle
    The moment you're sat in someone's house, stove roaring and they ask you what a cowl is. You reply with words like 'birds nest' 'set' and 'light' to which the reply is "oh". 18 months later and there's still no cowl.
    Be like a tree.
    Stay grounded. Connect with your roots. Turn over a new leaf.
    Bend before you break. Enjoy your natural beauty. Keep growing.
    • Cappella
    • By Cappella 29th Nov 18, 7:09 PM
    • 650 Posts
    • 8,748 Thanks
    Cappella
    Aww - what a lovely lot you are. I was just confused but I've followed instructions from Fuddle, MrsLW, Ivyleaf, and GQ and pulled up my camouflaged prepping undies and am ready to carry on prepping regardless

Fuddle said
    The moment you're sat in someone's house, stove roaring and they ask you what a cowl is. You reply with words like 'birds nest' 'set' and 'light' to which the reply is "oh". 18 months later and there's still no cowl.
    That's just asking for problems. Birds are no respecters of chimneys without cowls as my b-in-law in France recently discovered. I'd say I was sorry for him, as the damage the chimney fire caused is quite extensive, (Jackdaws nests high up in the chimney) but I'm afraid it wouldn't be true. He was too mean to have all of the chimneys swept when they moved in - madness as the house had stood empty for two years - and is now suffering the consequences.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 29th Nov 18, 7:24 PM
    • 12,523 Posts
    • 241,187 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Cappella, a couple I know live in a quaint cottage in a village. One wall of their sitting-room is a huge inglenook fireplace. If you visit at certain time of the year, you will find it draped in netting.

It isn't some cultish home decor fad, it's because the jackdaws nest in the chimney. At a certain point the fledglings exit the nest, always coming straight down the chimney and into the hearth, where a cushion is waiting to catch them. The net is to stop their sooty selves flapping all over the cottage and making a terrible mess, which is what happened the first year.

Jackdaw-catch-and-release is just part of their social calendar now - to the great bemusement of their puddytats.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 29th Nov 18, 8:06 PM
    • 25,648 Posts
    • 104,978 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Second pigeon catch-and-release happened today. Different bird, yet another in the process of becoming one legged. 'Pleasant' exchange with another staff member smiling with the Look of Death in my eyes, suggesting that the unfortunate 'Filthy Vermin' was still a living creature and attempting to kick it was not particularly nice. Said member of staff laughed. And trotted away rather quickly.

In my old flat, because the Local Authority was a little remiss didn't believe in wasting money on repairing chimneys on blocks of flats when they could spend it on employing their mates in consultancy roles, I had the joys of various unidentified birds nesting above my living room. Fortunately, where the chimney had partially collapsed, it had blocked the top, so I never had to deal with fledglings behind the plastered up fireplace as I'd have taken a 2lb clubhammer to the work and claimed that it 'just collapsed one day'
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • singlestep
    • By singlestep 29th Nov 18, 9:49 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 2,339 Thanks
    singlestep
    A close colleague and I compared notes on our tins this morning as we both arrived at work very early. We both come in to contact with a large number of people per day and it isn't hard to see how precarious household incomes are as things stand.

She isn't usually a prepper as far as I know but she did acknowledge she is slowly building up her own stocks for what might happen between now and next summer. I cautiously agreed that it wouldn't be a bad thing given that there was about a week earlier this year when bad weather meant there was no milk, bread or fresh fruit and veg to be had in my local shops. At the very worst, we already have a head start on donations via work next December?

I'd love to be growing my own produce but I live in a flat that only gets a limited amount of proper light over the winter. Outside of what I am doing, I'm going to check and refill my prep bag kept at work: couple of days of meds in addition to those I keep with me at all times, change of more comfortable clothes and socks, travel sized essential toiletries and various cupasoup-style emergency lunches and drinks. It's in a far from rural place but bad weather trapped staff there one night years ago and that won't be forgotten in a hurry!
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 29th Nov 18, 11:46 PM
    • 1,112 Posts
    • 8,432 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    A close colleague and I compared notes on our tins this morning as we both arrived at work very early. We both come in to contact with a large number of people per day and it isn't hard to see how precarious household incomes are as things stand.

She isn't usually a prepper as far as I know but she did acknowledge she is slowly building up her own stocks for what might happen between now and next summer. I cautiously agreed that it wouldn't be a bad thing given that there was about a week earlier this year when bad weather meant there was no milk, bread or fresh fruit and veg to be had in my local shops. At the very worst, we already have a head start on donations via work next December?

I'd love to be growing my own produce but I live in a flat that only gets a limited amount of proper light over the winter. Outside of what I am doing, I'm going to check and refill my prep bag kept at work: couple of days of meds in addition to those I keep with me at all times, change of more comfortable clothes and socks, travel sized essential toiletries and various cupasoup-style emergency lunches and drinks. It's in a far from rural place but bad weather trapped staff there one night years ago and that won't be forgotten in a hurry!
    Originally posted by singlestep
    Good point. Many of us commute long distances to work. Getting stuck in the snow would be horrible.

Personally, I am back working in the highways depot in the midlands I was working at when the Beast From The East hit last winter. My team we’re all in the depot that Thursday and left together at 2.30pm, having first checked with the gritted supervisors which was the best route back to the motorway (“best” as in”most gritted”.) One of the team still got stuck overnight, in Wiltshire, while heading home to the West Country. This year, we have already agreed to work from home if the bad weather hits first.

I have spare drugs in my handbag, together with toothbrush and toothpaste. My high viz parka is already in the car - it’s very warm - and I will add my waterproof site-boots when I get home from New Zealand. My regular coat is virtually a duvet.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 30th Nov 18, 5:20 AM
    • 12,523 Posts
    • 241,187 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I'm very fortunate in that home and workplace are a 5 minute stroll apart so don't have the severe logistically concerns that some of you have to factor into your preps. All power to your considerations.

Can I ask if anyone has added a small towel to their in-work emergency bags, as well as toiletries, so one could shower/ wash properly? Mebbe a thought.

In the dreadful December of 2010, even the Sarf where I roost had appallingly cold and snowy weather. Two of my neighbours sustained broken limbs in falls here at the flats. Not the usual age groups either, one being a woman in her twenties who broke her leg about 2 yards from her door, the other a man in his forties who slipped on ice and broke his arm. We were in the bizarre position of having our block of flats surrounded by a de-facto ice rink, which made getting anywhere difficult.

What I shall do soon is to get the yax-trax out and use some of my spare nylon webbing to make over-the-instep straps for them. Some models of YTs come with these pre-installed but mine don't and I think it would be a good idea; a pal lost one of his YTs in the Beast from the East snow this year and never did get it back again, which was a blow as he's very poor.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• -taff
    • By -taff 30th Nov 18, 7:07 AM
    • 10,174 Posts
    • 13,725 Thanks
    -taff
    Good idea re the over the instep for the yak traks.
    I did notice they were prone to slippage but didn't think of that. Couple of hooks and a piece of broad elastic will sort that out in no time
    • Cappella
    • By Cappella 30th Nov 18, 7:38 AM
    • 650 Posts
    • 8,748 Thanks
    Cappella
    Just a quick prepping thought for pet owners. Last year we ended up snowed in at my other-much nicer- sister in the wilds of Lincolnshire for three days. We'd gone over despite the weather warnings (stupid I know) as she wasn't at all well, and her daughter panicked and said we should go "just in case".
    Anyway, she keeps a well stocked pantry so food for us wasn't a problem but she hasn't any pets so our dog also ate extremely well for those days. It really didn't take him long to get used to chicken, liver and stewing steak. and we had quite a job persuading him that dried dog food was his only option when we got back.
    So now, when the weathers bad we always have an 'emergency dog bag' in the car as well as our own blankets, chocolate, flask, torch, water and first aid kit.
    • tiredwithtwins
    • By tiredwithtwins 30th Nov 18, 7:50 AM
    • 463 Posts
    • 1,532 Thanks
    tiredwithtwins
    but NOT on the scale of the OH'S bogmageddon stash, we still have over 100 loo rolls.
    Originally posted by ancientofdays

I LOVE that expression ... and glad its not just me that hoards loo roll!!!!

thank you for the shiny new thread .. I joined the first one very early on but drifted away and need to be back on track, so hello everyone

im on two weeks annual leave (cant afford to go anywhere so its a staycation, according to my teenagers!!).
    today is sorting and cleaning and binning day .. cupboards to sort so I can be on top of my meal planning
    need to have a rummage in the garage for the box of seeds so I can prep my veg growing this spring - haven't grown much for last couple of years ... the black dog has been laying heavy on me for the last couple of years, but is finely lifting and the future is looking brighter, for the time being at least

happy prepping ladies and gents!!!

Sue xxx
    dec gc epic fail!/150 ..jan 140/160 ..feb gc 90/150
    mar 100/120 apr 85/120
    wading through the treacle of life!
    • tiredwithtwins
    • By tiredwithtwins 30th Nov 18, 7:58 AM
    • 463 Posts
    • 1,532 Thanks
    tiredwithtwins
    I have for some time wanted to try solar cooking, and will over winter see if I can collect the materials and build my own solar oven, for use in spring and summer.
    Originally posted by Siebrie

ooh, that sounds interesting!!
    let us know how you get on .. im off to google it now!!

S xx
    dec gc epic fail!/150 ..jan 140/160 ..feb gc 90/150
    mar 100/120 apr 85/120
    wading through the treacle of life!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

34Posts Today

3,433Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Oh if only one were brave/honest enough to say "my mental health" - in answer to the weakness question. I say this? https://t.co/RyihpzwPdY

• Been out with the little one, just got back and turned the #c4debate on. What have i missed? Who is winning?

• It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Follow Martin