Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • orangesnaps
    • By orangesnaps 15th Nov 18, 3:40 PM
    • 66Posts
    • 52Thanks
    orangesnaps
    Outfox The Market Direct Debit changes
    • 15th Nov 18, 3:40 PM
    Outfox The Market Direct Debit changes 15th Nov 18 at 3:40 PM
    MoneySavingExpert.com Insert December 2018:

You might like to read our latest news story:

Outfox the Market customers vent fury over energy bill hikes

Back to the original post...

We switched from Eon to OTM on late May of this year. Our monthly debit is £100.21, we are currently £370+ in credit. Our monthly bill is £50-70 & that's with the meter reading (no estimates). I've just got an email that they are hiking our DD to £140.29 without any way to decline it. I don't agree with it. Once the bill for this month comes which will be about the same usage from last month, we will be in credit for £400+. How much more do they want?

We can't switch without avoiding the exit fee as we are in a fixed tariff with them.
    From our experience with Eon, they gave the customer the option to lower the direct debit to a certain point.
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 17-12-2018 at 1:02 PM.
Page 67
    • dprice8893
    • By dprice8893 21st Feb 19, 8:25 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    dprice8893
    Over nine weeks after switching away from OFTM, they have finally paid me and settled the account.

Absolutely the worst company I have ever dealt with.
    • swindiff
    • By swindiff 21st Feb 19, 8:36 AM
    • 559 Posts
    • 304 Thanks
    swindiff
    I completed my switch away from them on the 12th December and cancelled my direct debit knowing I would owe them a small amount rather than them take double what my existing DD was originally putting me over £100 in credit which would have taken an age to get back. Just got my final bill this morning for £21.13 which I have now paid. So it took them 10 weeks to sort out my final bill, well shot of them.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 21st Feb 19, 10:54 AM
    • 2,755 Posts
    • 1,960 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    (bearing in mind we're now in February 2019 and I switched away in December 2018):

Them: Your new supplier will send us your readings once you have switched away. On the way, the readings go through the electricity and gas industries to be validated. Your old supplier (Outfox the Market in this case) can take up to 4 - 6 weeks to produce their final bill, if you haven’t received it after this time, please get in touch. Once the final bill has been produced we will then refund any credit on the account 14 days after the final bill has been issued.

Me: Um, pardon me but I switched away two months ago, you should have had them by now.

Them: Can take 4-6 weeks

Me: We're already at eight weeks, not six. You should have had them by now and I shouldn't have to be chasing you eight weeks down the line.

Them: I am sorry in regards to the delay, I will chase up on this
    I'll give them to the end of the month and then follow the complaints emailed posted above if no bill has been generated.
    • hubb
    • By hubb 22nd Feb 19, 10:44 AM
    • 2,009 Posts
    • 385 Thanks
    hubb
    They told me on 7/2 that my refund will be sent to my bank. 22/2 and still no refund.

I contacted them and they said this in chat (very long gaps between answers from them)

Refund was accepted already on 14/02/2019. You’ll usually get your refund within fourteen calendar days of your request being accepted following an assessment. We’ll pay it into the bank account you use for your direct debit.

Are they stalling or is this normal ?
    • jk0
    • By jk0 22nd Feb 19, 10:49 AM
    • 3,182 Posts
    • 26,914 Thanks
    jk0
    They told me on 7/2 that my refund will be sent to my bank. 22/2 and still no refund.

I contacted them and they said this in chat (very long gaps between answers from them)

Refund was accepted already on 14/02/2019. You’ll usually get your refund within fourteen calendar days of your request being accepted following an assessment. We’ll pay it into the bank account you use for your direct debit.

Originally posted by hubb

Of course, it's stalling.

It's exactly the sort of nonsense Economy Energy came out with before they folded.
    • LittleMax
    • By LittleMax 22nd Feb 19, 12:05 PM
    • 1,293 Posts
    • 1,956 Thanks
    LittleMax
    Hi. I just done a search for cheaper electricity. Outfox the Market quoted me £18 for April-October and £42 for the reat of the year. I thought this policy had been reversed?
    Originally posted by SPOWER
    I think only for existing customers - they did not give sufficient notice of the change in contract. New contracts would be different.

Hoping Utility Point works out ok, as, like Outfox, they're far far cheaper than any other provider for my usage and area - almost too good to be true.
    Originally posted by techno12
    Me too - just filling in my forms with UP now. I have requested a refund of my credit balance from Outfox and cancelled my DDM, so hopefully even if they don't do the credit I will have used up my remaining credit before I leave. Was an interesting web chat yesterday tried lots of ways to convince me I shouldn't request the credit refund!
    • dprice8893
    • By dprice8893 22nd Feb 19, 12:30 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    dprice8893

Originally posted by hubb

They quoted me 10 working days and on the tenth, when they hadn't paid me I phoned them. They agreed to credit my account that day and that's what happened.

It's fairly quick to get them on the phone these days, presumably because most of their customers have left.

I can't imagine OFTM gaining new customers because of the way they've behaved and the resulting bad publicity. I presume customers on fixed tariffs may hang on to the bitter end.
    • RS2OOO
    • By RS2OOO 22nd Feb 19, 4:14 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    RS2OOO
    Received OTM final bill today, just short of 10 weeks since my switch date away from them.
    Electricity calculations are correct, yet they are billing me against an Estimated gas reading which is higher than the reading I supplied OTM and the new supplier with on the switch date.

Thus unless I've missed something I am being charged by both companies for the same units.

Looks like I've another load of phone calls and queuing to do on Monday!
    • feynman33
    • By feynman33 22nd Feb 19, 5:53 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    feynman33
    They produced my final bill on 28/1, on 5/2 i asked via webcat about the refund since my DD was cancelled, was told DD didnt matter and refund can take 5-14 working days.

On 16/2 i told them it had been 14 working days and i had not recieve it, they said the refund was procceced on 12/2 and can take at latest 14 working days to show in my bank account.

Still not recieved it. p1ss takers, what kind of bank transfer can take 14 working days to show in your account? I will phone them next week.
    Last edited by feynman33; 22-02-2019 at 5:54 PM. Reason: typo
    • dprice8893
    • By dprice8893 22nd Feb 19, 6:30 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    dprice8893
    Received OTM final bill today, just short of 10 weeks since my switch date away from them.
    Electricity calculations are correct, yet they are billing me against an Estimated gas reading which is higher than the reading I supplied OTM and the new supplier with on the switch date.

Thus unless I've missed something I am being charged by both companies for the same units.

Looks like I've another load of phone calls and queuing to do on Monday!
    Originally posted by RS2OOO

This has happened to me when switching in the past and isn't peculiar to OFTM practices. If it's a small amount they just say it's within tolerances. I pushed the point and got a refund that more than covered the discrepancy. Make those calls and complain.
    • jk0
    • By jk0 25th Feb 19, 6:58 PM
    • 3,182 Posts
    • 26,914 Thanks
    jk0
    DD increasing again.
    Just got another stupid email from Outfox:

They are increasing my direct debit again... two months after I switched, and stopped the DD. I will be checking my bank account very carefully in case it does reactivate.
    • Doh
    • By Doh 26th Feb 19, 7:49 AM
    • 167 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Doh
    well I've had i bit of a result, finally got my £88 back( from the 29th December switch) and they've foolishly refunded the the extra DD they took of £210 in Feb, they instructed me to do an indemnity claim for it in Feb when i spoke on chat. i also told them about a week later it looked like were going to refund both the DD as well as the £88 credit (total £298 credit). The guy on chat assured me if would be sorted and they had a record of the indemnity claim, which clearly didn't happen... so i'm £210 up

so yes, i'm well aware its not my money and i should give it back, but i feel like letting them fight for it a bit now the shoe is on the other foot so to speak
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 26th Feb 19, 7:54 AM
    • 2,755 Posts
    • 1,960 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    Well I got my credit back this morning but I can't see any sign of a final bill, although to be honest I don't really care anymore about that, the money was more important. Glad to see the back of them quite frankly.
    • JasX
    • By JasX 27th Feb 19, 9:06 AM
    • 3,898 Posts
    • 2,573 Thanks
    JasX
    Anyone having trouble getting their credit balance back from outfoxthemarket who has stayed with then?

I'm finding myself quoting text from OFGEM webpages and sending them press releases on what OFGEM considers a 'reasonable' balance to hold. So far they're just alternating between thinking their terms and conditions trump OFGEM rules and trying to weasle out of the requirement to refund credit balances on demand using the 'exceptional circumstances' a customer might fall into debt with them in future if they followed OFGEM rules...... I've just asked for a deadlock letter/declaration in my most recent email so I can take them to OFGEM
    • rabbitmoon
    • By rabbitmoon 28th Feb 19, 12:07 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    rabbitmoon
    I am still waiting on the credit refund. I was told early Feb it would be a couple of weeks, told the same again yesterday. Really appalling company, I can't wait to see the back of them.
    • ceh209
    • By ceh209 28th Feb 19, 12:17 PM
    • 796 Posts
    • 523 Thanks
    ceh209
    I presume customers on fixed tariffs may hang on to the bitter end.
    Originally posted by dprice8893
    Like me?
    Currently ~£100 in credit with OTM, fed up with all the emails about direct debit changes but they seem to have recently settled on a DD of £7.30 a month (including my £6.99 membership fee!) so my credit will be down to zero in about 3 months anyway, so I'm not pushing the point about getting it refunded (which I did try briefly when they tried to increase my DD). Definitely switching when the fix ends in October though!
    Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard
    • JasX
    • By JasX 28th Feb 19, 6:33 PM
    • 3,898 Posts
    • 2,573 Thanks
    JasX
    Well tbh I'm not getting offered much better across the market for my particular useage except for marginal improvements from unheard of minow operators.... at the rate they're going bust tho I'll wait for something more substantial before switching.

Making slow progress hitting them over the head with Ofgem literature tho. I pointed out they were now simply repeating their refusal to follow the rules and refund my overpaid credit balance on request, so I asked them to issue a deadlock letter/declaration.

This seems to have caused my complaint to be handed up the chain.... time will tell if this is simply a stalling tactic or might resolve things.

So far their excuses have been along the lines of

"our Ts&Cs are more important than and trump Ofgem rules"

which then morphed into

"ok we will follow the rules to the letter but won't refund you under the exceptional circumstances clause -their 'exceptional circumstances' they have quoted as "our customers might fall into debt if we followed Ofgem rules on refunding overpaid credit balances"

I'm now almost hoping they keep their misbehaviour up just to see how that excuse actually lands with Ofgem
    Last edited by JasX; 28-02-2019 at 6:37 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,922Posts Today

4,841Users online

Martin's Twitter