Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HappyUser
    • By HappyUser 7th Jul 18, 6:06 PM
    • 154Posts
    • 9Thanks
    HappyUser
    Complaint for Visa and Halifax
    • 7th Jul 18, 6:06 PM
    Complaint for Visa and Halifax 7th Jul 18 at 6:06 PM
    Hello!

I have made a couple of transactions with some dodgy merchants. While legitimate companies are happy to refund you if you are not happy, these will do whatever it takes so that you don't get a refund, even though their products/services are crap.

Halifax particularly has been extremely unhelpful when pursuing a refund on your debit card. You are pretty much left alone and they often blame Visa's terms and conditions.

In contrast, Paypal or Amazon (not Ebay), have been extremely supportive to unhappy customers.

Is there a bank and debit card that can offer a service on par with Paypal in terms of refunds?

I am far from a scammer consumer who rips off businesses, but at the same time, I don't want to feel like an idiot for paying and receiving crap, with no chance of refund.

Thanks!
Page 3
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 11th Jul 18, 2:44 PM
    • 1,457 Posts
    • 1,227 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    Is there a credit card that provides protection for lower than 100?
    Originally posted by HappyUser
    Don't confuse the law and card processors rules. The law (S75 of CCA) says that where you buy something on credit where the price is between 100 and 30K and there is a breach of contract or a misrepresentation by the seller (including bankruptcy), you have a legal right to your money back and can choose whether to claim that money from the seller, the credit provider or both of them at the same time. There is a lot more to it than that (e.g. simple bank loans are covered) but let's try to keep it straightforward.

The plastic card providers also have their own rules to handle disputes between retailers and buyers in certain situations no matter how much the cost of the item and irrespective of the CCA. These rules are maintained by Visa, MasterCard etc. Most of the banks who issue cards under these brands have a say in how those rules work so it is not correct of Halifax (or any card provider) to blame Visa or MasterCard if they can't help because those banks will have had the chance to devise, write and approve those dispute rules.

If you have a dispute with a seller for any amount, your credit or debit card provider may be able to raise a Chargeback on your behalf to recover the disputed amount for you. If your dispute doesn't fit any of the Chargeback rules, your card provider may pay you out of their own pocket (not often) or if the transaction is on a credit card for an item which overall cost between the limits mentioned above then you may get paid out by the credit card company if they accept there is liability under the terms of S75 of the CCA.

If they don't accept your claim for pay-out under the CCA you may have to take the case to court for a ruling.

On a debit card transaction you get the same (mostly) Chargeback protection as a credit card but you will never have any rights to reclaim under S75 of the CCA because you didn't pay with credit.

There are other laws to help where CCA and Chargebacks don't cover you but that is entirely up to the consumer to sort out themselves (through the courts if necessary).
    • Armorica
    • By Armorica 12th Jul 18, 12:52 AM
    • 747 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    Armorica
    The plastic card providers also have their own rules to handle disputes between retailers and buyers in certain situations no matter how much the cost of the item and irrespective of the CCA. These rules are maintained by Visa, MasterCard etc. Most of the banks who issue cards under these brands have a say in how those rules work so it is not correct of Halifax (or any card provider) to blame Visa or MasterCard if they can't help because those banks will have had the chance to devise, write and approve those dispute rules.
    Originally posted by Terry Towelling
    Hmmm. Within reason. Visa and MasterCard are global brands with only some regional differences.

MasterCard ceased to be controlled by the banks in 2006, and Visa Europe in 2016. They have input - but they no longer devise, write and approve the dispute rules compared to say 10 or 20 years ago.
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 12th Jul 18, 1:57 PM
    • 1,457 Posts
    • 1,227 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    Hmmm. Within reason. Visa and MasterCard are global brands with only some regional differences.

MasterCard ceased to be controlled by the banks in 2006, and Visa Europe in 2016. They have input - but they no longer devise, write and approve the dispute rules compared to say 10 or 20 years ago.
    Originally posted by Armorica
    I have admitted in other threads/posts that my cards knowledge is now 13 years out of date and I have no idea how current your knowledge is but it seems more so than mine. That said, are you now sure that the member banks of the two payment schemes are not consulted for their views on rules changes or the language that is used in their construction and that they are no longer required to vote on rule changes at Board level (be that UK, Regional or Inter-regional)?

In the good old days a range of qualified member banks were always consulted - not that our views were always accommodated - and once principles were agreed, the relevant Board would vote to approve those principles. Language to back up those principles would then be created and the same range of member banks would have input if anything was wrong or open to incorrect interpretation etc. After that the appropriate Board would vote the changes through.

Does this no longer happen?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,716Posts Today

6,881Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin