Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 1st Jun 18, 8:08 AM
    • 17,097Posts
    • 283,778Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    Saving for my first bricks and mortar...
    • 1st Jun 18, 8:08 AM
    Saving for my first bricks and mortar... 1st Jun 18 at 8:08 AM
    Hi everyone!

I've been having a little read of other people's stories on here so thought I'd start my own, hoping it'll keep me on track

About me. I'm early 40's and have been renting forever. We have been very lucky with the landlord and not had a rent increase for 10 years, until now. He wanted to increase our rent by half again I worked out how much rent we'd paid to him over the years and was , and I realised that I could be paying that on my own house. That's how I ended up here!

I earn below the national average and live in one of the most expensive cities outside of London for house prices. I'm able to put away between 200-250 a month at the mo but that should change in my favour in the next month or so, to put more away. I've a HTB ISA and "high" interest saving account and a pot at home for odd coins.

I've a very long way to go on this so thought that keeping a diary here might help keep me focused when I find it difficult
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator do not read every post. If you spot an iffy post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Aims for 2019 - Savings up to 8000 - 5240/8000. Lose 50lb - 4/50
Page 3
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 28th Jun 18, 5:07 PM
    • 17,097 Posts
    • 283,778 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    I have hit the 1000 mark

I started this on 9th April. Tomorrow I will be transferring my usual which will take me over 1000

Not much I know but it's taken less than 3 months to do
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator do not read every post. If you spot an iffy post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 28th Jun 18, 6:13 PM
    • 13,974 Posts
    • 47,480 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hurrah really well done. It's so good having something to aim for. We have to aim high and we will achieve. Today has been a fabulous day for me and I realised that if we are positive and believe all our wishes can come true!!!!

Hurrah Ditzy to savings.
    Christmas Fund 148
    Reminder: June Spending on fleabay 6.99
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 6th Jul 18, 6:42 AM
    • 17,097 Posts
    • 283,778 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    Goodness, its been an "expensive" week this week - i have been too lazy to make my lunch twice this week so I have ended up buying lunch twice

There are some things that I need to buy this weekend that will blow the budget somewhat but if I dont want my cat to starve.... not as though she's even eating much in this weather!

New plot is finally mine and I have already been able to dig part of it so I will be getting some stuff together for planting in the next week or so Getting through a lot of suncream in this weather but its all stuff I have picked up in Sainsburys cheap earlier in the year

Hope you're all doing ok and keeping safe in this weather

• savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 6th Jul 18, 7:23 AM
    • 13,974 Posts
    • 47,480 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hurrah for new allotment plot and for the sun.
    Christmas Fund 148
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 6th Jul 18, 9:01 PM
    • 5,174 Posts
    • 44,340 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Oooh, new allotment - we're now on the waiting list for one in our new location Have fun! and well done on the 1,000, awesome
    Sealed tin and beach 2p saving - trying to put everything under 1 in my purse in tins each day
    Moved house with my beloved DD and KW - 29.6.18
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 13th Jul 18, 5:21 PM
    • 17,097 Posts
    • 283,778 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    Ive not really been on the saving ball this month i think in my mind, as I put X amount away at the start of the month I've done what I needed to do and balls to the rest of the month, which isn't a healthy attitude so this week I'm going to knuckle down and get back to basics

• Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 16th Jul 18, 6:43 AM
    • 17,097 Posts
    • 283,778 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    Another 90 in the pot this morning, a combination of some cashback via the CB sites and some extra work I have been doing There is still more to come too

Knock knock knocking on the door of 450 saved this month

• savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 16th Jul 18, 6:49 AM
    • 13,974 Posts
    • 47,480 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Fabulous news. Well done on savings. Hope the allotment is going well.
    Christmas Fund 148
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 16th Jul 18, 8:56 PM
    • 17,097 Posts
    • 283,778 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    Fabulous news. Well done on savings. Hope the allotment is going well.
    Originally posted by savingwannabe
    Thank you new plot doing well - I planted some cabbages in there at the weekend

Even better, this months saving total is up by another 50 today extra 140 just today

If I get my way, by the end of this month I'll have added 500 in total, half of what it's taken me 3 months to save

Does that even make sense?

• Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 1st Aug 18, 2:01 PM
    • 17,097 Posts
    • 283,778 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    466 put away in July

• savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 1st Aug 18, 8:16 PM
    • 13,974 Posts
    • 47,480 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Yes it did. Well done on your great savings!
    Christmas Fund 148
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 16th Aug 18, 8:03 PM
    • 17,097 Posts
    • 283,778 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    This month has sucked so far. I've "only" managed to put 200 away this month. House insurance, allotment bill and a bloody great dentist bill have seen to that

On the upside, my house insurance was dirt cheap, the dental bill is going on the credit card and I came home from work today to a cheque from British Gas only 13 but everything counts

• savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 16th Aug 18, 8:20 PM
    • 13,974 Posts
    • 47,480 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    At least you put some money away and you have nice gnashers!

I have been putting money in the moneybox because of you.
    Christmas Fund 148
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 2nd Sep 18, 12:03 PM
    • 17,097 Posts
    • 283,778 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    August did suck. 216 put away

September will be better though because I've been doing some overtime at work which will be going in the saving pot. I've got some funds coming from reports too so no prizes for guessing where that'll be headed

• savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 2nd Sep 18, 1:58 PM
    • 13,974 Posts
    • 47,480 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    216 is still savings! That is fine. Hurrah for overtime. Weather is gorgeous here I have mowed the second third of the grass today.
    Christmas Fund 148
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 7th Sep 18, 4:37 PM
    • 17,097 Posts
    • 283,778 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    Already this month I've beaten last months amount

I keep all my 2 coins and then drop them into the bank when there's an amount worth taking in. I keep a tally of how many coins I have at the end of each month then start again. 85 banked last week - there was an odd 1 coin I found on the street

13 cheque from British Gas and a few 's from TCB totalled me up to 108 so I rounded it up to 150 and transferred it into my "high" savings account. Add in the 200 into my HTB ISA and I'm already at 350 this month and we aren't even a week in

This weekend we are having a free day out courtesy of work - hospitality and executive box at a local football game rugby is more my thing but he's an avid supporter of said team so it's a treat for him more than me really they'll feed us and there is a drinks kitty so that'll do me. The same tickets were available to the public at 75 each

I must learn to remember that saving is going to be swings and roundabouts. I like the high if saving a good amount each month so get really hard on myself when I don't reach my target it does average out though byt day to day, it can be a bit difficult for me to get my head round

Today is a good day though

• Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 8th Sep 18, 5:36 AM
    • 3,584 Posts
    • 19,238 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Well done on the savings this month ! I know what you mean about beating yourself up when you feel you haven't saved enough, I do that too even when I know that its not possible to save more on my budget ! I don't want to get fixated on savings at the cost of having a social life though
    Balance 0% credit card to pay 1360 898
    Emergency fund 0/500
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 8th Sep 18, 8:41 AM
    • 13,974 Posts
    • 47,480 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Savings are great well done. Sometimes life gets in the way. The free football thing sounds great. A nice day out I hope. It's cold here. Hope you are ok up north and it isn't stormy. Have a good day.
    Christmas Fund 148
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 3rd Oct 18, 5:06 PM
    • 17,097 Posts
    • 283,778 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    I'm a bit slow updating this month, sorry! 367 put away last month

I do have a sort of update though. We are looking at moving in with my parents. The house needs decorating first so we are doing that, and paying for it so doing it on the tightest of budgets. We could double our monthly savings by doing this, but it's a bit scary and so far already been very stressful.

My plan was to put the house saving on hold for a few months but I couldn't bring myself to not out anything away i think I'm just going to take it month by month for now. I surprised myself quite a lot when payday came around, the guilt I felt at the thought of not paying into my HTB ISA scared me

After putting this months away, I'm 120 short of 2000 so I'll be doing my best to achieve that

• savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 7th Oct 18, 6:21 PM
    • 13,974 Posts
    • 47,480 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Holy moly that's a big decision and a good financial one. Well done you. I hope your parents are great cooks and spoil you. You are nearly at 2000 which is fabulous.
    Christmas Fund 148
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

45Posts Today

3,808Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Snap post #BBCOurNextPM poll: Who do you think did best. (I had to have two in one category, so I picked randoml? https://t.co/gYTNBBn3SP

• Emily Maitliss being v mean to Boris using his own past quotes against him on Heathrow, having an election when lea? https://t.co/4baNAlmMid

• Wow - impressive performance from the 15 year old climate change activist. Not sure I'd have had such confidence when still at school.

• Follow Martin