Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • andygb
    • By andygb 31st May 18, 3:08 PM
    • 13,218Posts
    • 30,001Thanks
    andygb
    Bus pass eligibility
    • 31st May 18, 3:08 PM
    Bus pass eligibility 31st May 18 at 3:08 PM
    There I was talking to a mate, him taking the mickey out of me because I will reach the big six zero this year, and the subject got to bus passes, with him telling me not to forget to put in for one.
    I wasn't that bothered because I walk most places, but then again it could come in useful.
    So, I looked into it and found that if I lived in London, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, I could indeed apply for my bus pass this year.
    However, as someone born in England, it turns out I have to wait another seven years.
    What the heck is going on?
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 31st May 18, 4:05 PM
    • 22,820 Posts
    • 18,841 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 31st May 18, 4:05 PM
    • 31st May 18, 4:05 PM
    Being born in England has got nothing to do with it, it's where you live that counts. The rule for those living in England is that concessionary fares become available when you reach pension age, which in your case will be 66 (not 67). The devolved governments have decided on different rules, and for London residents it only applies to travel within the TfL areas.
    • London50
    • By London50 31st May 18, 7:02 PM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 1,677 Thanks
    London50
    • 31st May 18, 7:02 PM
    • 31st May 18, 7:02 PM
    " The devolved governments have decided on different rules, and for London residents it only applies to travel within the TfL areas".

I have a London freedom pass and as it has a Rose symbol on it I can travel on local buses {within set times] allover England :0)

Using your Freedom Pass outside London. Ifyou've got a rose symbol on your Freedom Pass,you can use it to travel free on local buses all over England. You can use it between 09:30 and 23:00 on weekdays and at any time on weekends and public holidays.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 1st Jun 18, 8:58 AM
    • 22,820 Posts
    • 18,841 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 1st Jun 18, 8:58 AM
    • 1st Jun 18, 8:58 AM
    " The devolved governments have decided on different rules, and for London residents it only applies to travel within the TfL areas".

I have a London freedom pass and as it has a Rose symbol on it I can travel on local buses {within set times] allover England :0)

Using your Freedom Pass outside London. Ifyou've got a rose symbol on your Freedom Pass,you can use it to travel free on local buses all over England. You can use it between 09:30 and 23:00 on weekdays and at any time on weekends and public holidays.
    Originally posted by London50

But that's only available at pension age, from 60 until then you can get the TfL 60+ Oyster card which is only valid in London.
    • andygb
    • By andygb 1st Jun 18, 12:07 PM
    • 13,218 Posts
    • 30,001 Thanks
    andygb
    • 1st Jun 18, 12:07 PM
    • 1st Jun 18, 12:07 PM
    Being born in England has got nothing to do with it, it's where you live that counts. The rule for those living in England is that concessionary fares become available when you reach pension age, which in your case will be 66 (not 67). The devolved governments have decided on different rules, and for London residents it only applies to travel within the TfL areas.
    Originally posted by agrinnall

Yes I know, I live in England and do not see why other parts of the UK and London are different.
    Maybe we should have an English parliament which can then decide to give us a bus pass at 60.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 1st Jun 18, 1:27 PM
    • 22,820 Posts
    • 18,841 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 1st Jun 18, 1:27 PM
    • 1st Jun 18, 1:27 PM
    Yes I know, I live in England and do not see why other parts of the UK and London are different.
    Maybe we should have an English parliament which can then decide to give us a bus pass at 60.
    Originally posted by andygb

Well you're the one that used the phrase 'born in England', I was simply explaining its lack of relevance to the bus pass issue. The UK parliament could decide to lower the age of eligibility for people living in England, have you raised the subject with your MP rather than complaining on MSE?
    • sleepymans
    • By sleepymans 1st Jun 18, 1:31 PM
    • 810 Posts
    • 1,234 Thanks
    sleepymans
    • 1st Jun 18, 1:31 PM
    • 1st Jun 18, 1:31 PM
    So many inequalities in this as well as other social benefits, depending on address. Not sure there is one overriding advantage in any one particular address though. For most of us, we just have hobsons choice and have to put up and shut up
    Last edited by sleepymans; 01-06-2018 at 1:33 PM. Reason: typo
    Goddess
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 1st Jun 18, 1:56 PM
    • 25,441 Posts
    • 13,644 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 1st Jun 18, 1:56 PM
    • 1st Jun 18, 1:56 PM
    So many inequalities in this as well as other social benefits, depending on address.

Most normal people dont drive a car in central london due to high parking/congestion charges.
    Not sure I'd call it inequality, its different and not necessarily advantgeous depending on your point of view.
    i.e. not being able to drive/park isnt an upside

Of course if you hate where you live then maybe you should consider moving?
    • moremore
    • By moremore 11th Dec 18, 7:41 AM
    • 492 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    moremore
    • 11th Dec 18, 7:41 AM
    • 11th Dec 18, 7:41 AM
    Well you're the one that used the phrase 'born in England', I was simply explaining its lack of relevance to the bus pass issue. The UK parliament could decide to lower the age of eligibility for people living in England, have you raised the subject with your MP rather than complaining on MSE?
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    I understood person with freedom pass with rose on it could use it on underground at anytime. Looking at map underground it goes out to Shinfield, but been told it only goes as far as harold wood, two stops less, confusing ?
    • General Grant
    • By General Grant 11th Dec 18, 12:42 PM
    • 1,165 Posts
    • 1,078 Thanks
    General Grant
    I understood person with freedom pass with rose on it could use it on underground at anytime. Looking at map underground it goes out to Shinfield, but been told it only goes as far as harold wood, two stops less, confusing ?
    Originally posted by moremore
    If the card is issued for a resident of a London borough then it does cover the underground and buses at any time.

If it has the rose symbol (to show issued to a resident of England) but not of a London borough then it is not valid on the underground at any time. Technically it is not valid on London buses outside the national time windows (eg not before 9.30 in the morning) but some bus drivers ignore the restriction.
    • marmite1979
    • By marmite1979 13th Dec 18, 11:32 AM
    • 36 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    marmite1979
    Each area elects the government/assembly responsible for the age requirements. Westminster decides on England, The Welsh Government for Wales and Scottish Government for Scotland & The London Assembly for London. Perhaps it's no surprise that of supposedly fairer schemes two are Labour run one SNP the other one is Tory, The regional English Assemblies were abolished in 2010. It's the party in charge who's responsible so it's the voters who decide.
    Where you are born in the UK has no bearing on eligibility.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 15th Dec 18, 11:21 AM
    • 8,297 Posts
    • 4,859 Thanks
    martindow
    This allows you to search by your date of birth

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-age/y/bus_pass
    • macman
    • By macman 16th Dec 18, 7:00 AM
    • 43,575 Posts
    • 18,704 Thanks
    macman
    Shenfield is the eastern terminus of TFL Rail, it's not an Underground station. Your Freedom Pass is valid on all TFL services from there, but not on Abellio Greater Anglia ones.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • moremore
    • By moremore 17th Dec 18, 4:22 PM
    • 492 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    moremore
    Shenfield is the eastern terminus of TFL Rail, it's not an Underground station. Your Freedom Pass is valid on all TFL services from there, but not on Abellio Greater Anglia ones.
    Originally posted by macman
    The TFL map of under shows underground to shenfield unless I am misreading it ?
    http://content.tfl.gov.uk/large-print-tube-map.pdf
    • Gravedigger
    • By Gravedigger 17th Dec 18, 5:41 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Gravedigger
    Not "Underground" but "Overground" which is under the TfL umbrella. Overground to Shenfield where you can use Freedom Pass, but then ticket from Shenfield to stations beyond this boundary. I go free to Shenfield then purchase ticket for onward journey to Southend.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 17th Dec 18, 5:46 PM
    • 17,923 Posts
    • 21,856 Thanks
    KeithP
    The TFL map of under shows underground to shenfield unless I am misreading it ?
    http://content.tfl.gov.uk/large-print-tube-map.pdf
    The key to that map, bottom right, tells us that the line to Shenfield is TfL Rail.
    • t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 20th Dec 18, 12:51 AM
    • 3,283 Posts
    • 2,084 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    Just to clarify... the 60+ oyster is a TfL initiative and nothing to do with any government body. It is not supplied by the council like the freedom passes, but by application to TfL.
    • jbuchanangb
    • By jbuchanangb 20th Dec 18, 7:30 PM
    • 438 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    jbuchanangb
    For residents of Merseyside, Merseytravel provide a card at age 60 which provides free travel on buses, trains and ferries in Merseyside. As with a 60+ Oyster in London, it can be upgraded at state pension age to cover buses all over England. As I live 200 yards outside Merseyside, I do not qualify! I have a NOW card issued by Lancashire County Council, which provides free off peak travel on buses all over England.
    • antonic
    • By antonic 26th Dec 18, 6:05 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 2,673 Thanks
    antonic
    I cant wait until I get to 60 when I qualify for a Merseyside concessionary pass (NOT a Pensioners card) and can commute to work (as I get a train before 6.30am) and save myself , at today`s prices 1341 pa).
    Thats very MSE isnt it ?
    LBM Sept 2005 spoke to Payplan - brilliant !
    Dec 2005 debt 21.959.64 + HBOS Int 1769.32
    June 2013 debt 0.00
    DF status confirmed by email 10/07/13
    DFW Long Hauler 297
    • baldelectrician
    • By baldelectrician 27th Dec 18, 3:18 AM
    • 2,330 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    baldelectrician
    I have a friend (who is mid 30's) who is registered blind

We both stay in Scotland and he gets free bus travel anywhere in Scotland (at any time) plus someone on the bus as a companion for free
    He also gets free trains on any Scotrail service and someone on for half price.
    He also gets free (Scotland only) ferries and free Glasgow underground and Edinburgh trams

All that said- I think he would prefer his sight back
    baldly going on...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,663Posts Today

6,955Users online

Martin's Twitter