Bus pass eligibility

There I was talking to a mate, him taking the mickey out of me because I will reach the big six zero this year, and the subject got to bus passes, with him telling me not to forget to put in for one.
I wasn't that bothered because I walk most places, but then again it could come in useful.
So, I looked into it and found that if I lived in London, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, I could indeed apply for my bus pass this year.
However, as someone born in England, it turns out I have to wait another seven years.
What the heck is going on?

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Being born in England has got nothing to do with it, it's where you live that counts. The rule for those living in England is that concessionary fares become available when you reach pension age, which in your case will be 66 (not 67). The devolved governments have decided on different rules, and for London residents it only applies to travel within the TfL areas.
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    " The devolved governments have decided on different rules, and for London residents it only applies to travel within the TfL areas".

I have a London freedom pass and as it has a Rose symbol on it I can travel on local buses {within set times] allover England :0)

Using your Freedom Pass outside London. Ifyou've got a rose symbol on your Freedom Pass,you can use it to travel free on local buses all over England. You can use it between 09:30 and 23:00 on weekdays and at any time on weekends and public holidays.
  • agrinnall
    First Post Combo Breaker
    London50 wrote: »
    " The devolved governments have decided on different rules, and for London residents it only applies to travel within the TfL areas".

I have a London freedom pass and as it has a Rose symbol on it I can travel on local buses {within set times] allover England :0)

Using your Freedom Pass outside London. Ifyou've got a rose symbol on your Freedom Pass,you can use it to travel free on local buses all over England. You can use it between 09:30 and 23:00 on weekdays and at any time on weekends and public holidays.

But that's only available at pension age, from 60 until then you can get the TfL 60+ Oyster card which is only valid in London.
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Being born in England has got nothing to do with it, it's where you live that counts. The rule for those living in England is that concessionary fares become available when you reach pension age, which in your case will be 66 (not 67). The devolved governments have decided on different rules, and for London residents it only applies to travel within the TfL areas.

Yes I know, I live in England and do not see why other parts of the UK and London are different.
    Maybe we should have an English parliament which can then decide to give us a bus pass at 60.
  • agrinnall
    First Post Combo Breaker
    andygb wrote: »
    Yes I know, I live in England and do not see why other parts of the UK and London are different.
    Maybe we should have an English parliament which can then decide to give us a bus pass at 60.

Well you're the one that used the phrase 'born in England', I was simply explaining its lack of relevance to the bus pass issue. The UK parliament could decide to lower the age of eligibility for people living in England, have you raised the subject with your MP rather than complaining on MSE?
  • sleepymans
    sleepymans Posts: 902 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 June 2018 at 2:33PM
    So many inequalities in this as well as other social benefits, depending on address. Not sure there is one overriding advantage in any one particular address though. For most of us, we just have hobsons choice and have to put up and shut up
    :A Goddess :A
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,609 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    So many inequalities in this as well as other social benefits, depending on address.

Most normal people dont drive a car in central london due to high parking/congestion charges.
    Not sure I'd call it inequality, its different and not necessarily advantgeous depending on your point of view.
    i.e. not being able to drive/park isnt an upside

Of course if you hate where you live then maybe you should consider moving?
  • moremore
    moremore Posts: 518 Forumite
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Well you're the one that used the phrase 'born in England', I was simply explaining its lack of relevance to the bus pass issue. The UK parliament could decide to lower the age of eligibility for people living in England, have you raised the subject with your MP rather than complaining on MSE?

I understood person with freedom pass with rose on it could use it on underground at anytime. Looking at map underground it goes out to Shinfield, but been told it only goes as far as harold wood, two stops less, confusing ?:(
  • moremore wrote: »
    I understood person with freedom pass with rose on it could use it on underground at anytime. Looking at map underground it goes out to Shinfield, but been told it only goes as far as harold wood, two stops less, confusing ?:(

If the card is issued for a resident of a London borough then it does cover the underground and buses at any time.

If it has the rose symbol (to show issued to a resident of England) but not of a London borough then it is not valid on the underground at any time. Technically it is not valid on London buses outside the national time windows (eg not before 9.30 in the morning) but some bus drivers ignore the restriction.
  • Each area elects the government/assembly responsible for the age requirements. Westminster decides on England, The Welsh Government for Wales and Scottish Government for Scotland & The London Assembly for London. Perhaps it's no surprise that of supposedly fairer schemes two are Labour run one SNP the other one is Tory, The regional English Assemblies were abolished in 2010. It's the party in charge who's responsible so it's the voters who decide.
    Where you are born in the UK has no bearing on eligibility.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure