Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JIL
    • By JIL 9th Jan 18, 11:20 PM
    • 4,143Posts
    • 23,174Thanks
    JIL
    What are you making for dinner?
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:20 PM
    What are you making for dinner? 9th Jan 18 at 11:20 PM
    There were problems with the original thread in that it disappeared and could not be reinstated.

So a new thread was created and we all started again, unfortunately that thread also seems to have joined it's predecessor.

So here's a new one. We need to hear about Suki's lamb casserole and Island Maid is back from Amsterdam and must have delights to tell us about.

Maybe if the old one can be found then this can be merged?

Anyway without further ado...
    Last edited by JIL; 05-01-2019 at 6:41 PM.
Page 204
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 16th May 19, 6:46 PM
    • 7,992 Posts
    • 53,468 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Spinach and ricotta cannelloni ping meal, with the last of the asparagus.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 17th May 19, 11:13 AM
    • 3,101 Posts
    • 42,181 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Over with DS, DIL and new Grandson for the weekend, I’m taking the makings of Prawn pasta, HM Garlic bread and rocky road (DIL’s fav), the new parents are off out on the town tomorrow night, so we get chance to snuggle with baby Noah.

Thanks for the comments re MIL, it’s no effort for me, it helps her, and we get to spend time with her too win/win x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 17th May 19, 6:23 PM
    • 7,992 Posts
    • 53,468 Thanks
    kerri gt
    For lunch I turned a rather dry and tasteless focaccia into a yummy pizza type thing by adding some pasta sauce as pizza sauce base, mozzarella and sliced olives then warming it all through.

Dinner was some fried sliced jersey royals that had been cooked and lingering in the fridge, a southern coated quorn burger and some courgette that I'd prev sliced and frozen.

Also made some bruschetta topping for the tiger loaf I bought yesterday using some tomatoes I'd forgotten about (but were still ok as I like to buy them really firm..can't stand a squishy tom) and some chopped red onion from the freezer. Sadly only had dried basil but wasn't going out just for fresh herbs.

So, all in all feeling rather virtuos at using some things up.

Also have some double cream defrosting to have with a meringue and blueberries for pud.

Fajitas tomorrow, and Sunday I'll be making a pasta salad on a variation of a rice one I do in the summer for lunches to use up some small pasta shapes we've had for eons.
    JAN NSD 11/16

• kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 20th May 19, 7:56 AM
    • 7,992 Posts
    • 53,468 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Where is everyone? Hopefully off doing nice things

Well yesterday i made said tune pasta salad - looks yum. Of course cooked too much pasta but also have half a tin of beans left over that I put in (mixed beans in water...not baked beans ) so I could make more should I decide to - or a variation on.

Sat OH decided he didn't want fajitas so they've been bumped to one evening this week. Can't quite recall what I actually had... thinking it was a fish pie.

Yesterday i defrosted a roast chicken breast which i had with mash and petit pois and gravy...I also defrosted some bread sauce which I forgot to have with it so chicken again tonight to use up the bread sauce.

Might also get the other bit of double cream out of the freezer for some kind of Eton mess.
    JAN NSD 11/16

• C J
    • By C J 20th May 19, 8:35 AM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 7,343 Thanks
    C J
    I made a meatloaf for supper yesterday, so we'll be having another couple of slices off that tonight (and also use up the last of the mashed potato and cauliflower cheese.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • klew356
    • By klew356 20th May 19, 9:41 AM
    • 497 Posts
    • 2,400 Thanks
    klew356
    Pizza last night of the frozen variety, trying to use bits up that are in the house so I have not been shopping this weekend, will need to get a top up of the fresh stuff but iv meal planned for the next four days to use up stuff from freezer and cupboard, tonight will be a chicken breast defrosted and turned into a curry with onions and mushrooms and whatever else I can find
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 20th May 19, 1:34 PM
    • 3,101 Posts
    • 42,181 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Saturday night we ate out, chicken and chorizo ‘melt’ it was lush

Yesterday involved wayyy too many Margaritas and there were some garlic prawns and other tapas type seafood involved somehow

Tonight is some frying steak I found during the freezer audit, with some HM peppercorn sauce and either chips or jackets and salad (post hangover food)
    • klew356
    • By klew356 21st May 19, 10:36 AM
    • 497 Posts
    • 2,400 Thanks
    klew356
    second night of chicken curry, breakfast and lunch turned into brunch as was away early - a treat of a bacon and sausage roll mmm
    • C J
    • By C J 21st May 19, 10:46 AM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 7,343 Thanks
    C J
    I'm roasting some red pepper halves stuffed with mashed mixed tinned beans, onion, garlic, chopped mushrooms, some rice and cheese. And anything else which needs using up
    • whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 21st May 19, 11:37 AM
    • 452 Posts
    • 3,139 Thanks
    whmf00001
    Found recipe in my files for a crumbed chicken breast with mayo and mustard coating so will cook 2 of them so thats tonight with salad stuff and then tomorrow with veggies I think but as I am popping to shops soon that could all change, good job theres only me.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 21st May 19, 12:21 PM
    • 2,951 Posts
    • 21,229 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I had quite a filling lunch of a veggie burger and a huge salad.

I'm not sure what I will have for dinner.

I'm roasting some red pepper halves stuffed with mashed mixed tinned beans, onion, garlic, chopped mushrooms, some rice and cheese. And anything else which needs using up
    Originally posted by C J
    That sounds nice. I haven't made stuffed peppers in a while.
    Push yourself, because no one else is going to do it for you.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 21st May 19, 12:26 PM
    • 3,101 Posts
    • 42,181 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Definitely some yummy meals going on

I’m using some LO pork from freezer stash and making a coconut curry and brown rice, I have a few mushrooms to use, so will probably throw those in too.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 22nd May 19, 5:35 AM
    • 3,101 Posts
    • 42,181 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Ooh double posting....

As part of my adventures at the back of the freezer, I found a bag of prawns I must have bought for Christmas.

Tonight, they will become part of Jacket spud and prawn mayonnaise with salad
    • klew356
    • By klew356 22nd May 19, 7:44 AM
    • 497 Posts
    • 2,400 Thanks
    klew356
    Still working my way through the freezer so tonight is butcher style turkey burgers with oven chips and salad, could be beans yet!

Lunch is a tuna and sweetcorn sandwich and a packet of cheese and onion crisps!
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 22nd May 19, 8:42 AM
    • 7,992 Posts
    • 53,468 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Dinner is fajitas (at last) have half a tin of Lidl value mixed beans left over from a tuna pasta salad too so will prob chuck those into the mix.

Lunch for me is the last of the tuna salad with either a sandwich spread sarnie (retro) or some water biscuits and cheese.
    JAN NSD 11/16

• whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 22nd May 19, 9:22 AM
    • 452 Posts
    • 3,139 Thanks
    whmf00001
    Had crumbed mustardy chicken breast with jacket poy and last 3 asparagus spears last night and cooked other chicken breast in a maple/soy etc marinade which I will have tonight with small side salad. Thinking about tomorrows dinner now and think it could be a barnsley chop out of freezer. I try to remember to take out and put in fridge the day before instead of winging it. Also have some Swiss chard plants in pots outside so may have a couple of the leaves - could do them tonight. Bought extra milk yesterday so think I will do a few Angel Delights today for next few days.
    • klew356
    • By klew356 22nd May 19, 9:41 AM
    • 497 Posts
    • 2,400 Thanks
    klew356
    Craving for butterscotch angel delight now!
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 22nd May 19, 12:55 PM
    • 1,147 Posts
    • 14,297 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Dinner tonight will be macaroni cheese with bacon and salad
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • klew356
    • By klew356 23rd May 19, 7:17 AM
    • 497 Posts
    • 2,400 Thanks
    klew356
    Grilled bacon and scrambled egg for lunch, sausages jersey royals and veg for tea – then im off work for the next four days so this will revolve around picnics for the first 2 days
    • C J
    • By C J 23rd May 19, 10:17 AM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 7,343 Thanks
    C J
    I don't usually get the opportunity to call into a supermarket on a weekday evening to check out YS bargains, but did so yesterday and bought two smashing sea bass fillets for 1. We'll be having those pan fried tonight and served with a little creamy mash and some steamed tenderstem broccoli. I'm thinking of making a buttery lemony anchovy caper type sauce to serve with it but might just end up leaving them plain.

This has thrown the menu plan into disarray, but it was too nice a bargain to miss!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

64Posts Today

2,207Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Oh if only one were brave/honest enough to say "my mental health" - in answer to the weakness question. I say this? https://t.co/RyihpzwPdY

• Been out with the little one, just got back and turned the #c4debate on. What have i missed? Who is winning?

• It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Follow Martin