Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 6th Aug 17, 1:27 PM
    • 5,179Posts
    • 44,359Thanks
    Kittikins
    Dreams and wishes....
    • 6th Aug 17, 1:27 PM
    Dreams and wishes.... 6th Aug 17 at 1:27 PM
    Hello! Hoping that if I start being even more sensible about saving by accounting for myself on here, I'll get to where I want to be faster....

A bit about me: My lovely DD, Miss Kittikins, and I live with my parents in their house, where I grew up. We've been there for 4 years and I think we all need our own space most of the time....I'm divorced and retained as a teacher 4 years ago (where has the time gone!!) and love my career so much. I pay 'keep' to them of roughly 1/3 of my take-home pay, and try to save as I'm very aware that a mortgage/rent would be far more than I'm currently spending!

I met a wonderful man, KW, last November, after 3 years on my own and a few interesting relationships before that. We have a long-term plan to get married and spend the rest of our lives together, but we're trying to be patient and do it when we feel financially ready. He earns much less than I do and is very frugal. I'm sometimes more of a waster....have just managed to remove a lovely 4.60 necklace out of my online basket on Debenhams, as I know I really don't need it!

I've been used to being very frugal, Miss Kitty didn't know you could get a tin of beans without a dent and a yellow sticker on it til she was about 6, but have got out of the habit and can be rather emotionally driven to spend. Sometimes life gets me down and I'll 'treat' myself to something, be it food, books, clothes I rarely wear, a present for Miss Kitty.
Page 3
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 15th Aug 17, 9:13 AM
    • 14,206 Posts
    • 47,670 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I hope you are feeling better. Hopefully it will blow over with your parents. Focus on the fact you are saving some money and that it is only for the short term. Every extra day of stress will mean extra savings for a nice place for you. Sending you big hugs.

I know what work prep is like! Bleh. I'm doing it too, in total ive done it for 3 weeks this holiday and I am nowhere near done!

I hope you find the vouchers.
    Christmas Fund 248 No spend month?
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 15th Aug 17, 12:27 PM
    • 5,179 Posts
    • 44,359 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Thank you for the hugs, very much appreciated

Feeling slightly less blue as I'm in full-on clear out the carp mode - partly because even though I'm only a few years into my teaching career and I already have piles upon piles of stuff I'll probably never look at again, and partly because I want to declutter so that if I find the perfect place, and it's going to be way smaller than here, I'll be able to pack up reasonably easily. I am what the Americans call a "clutterbug".

I applied for social housing this morning as well. I know I will be waaaaaaay down the list, probably non-existent on it, but at least I've looked into it.

Found the vouchers! Phew!!! I had put them somewhere sensible for a change
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 15th Aug 17, 4:39 PM
    • 14,206 Posts
    • 47,670 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I have piles of paper too. My house is tidy except for whichever room I put my work into. Well done on applying for social housing. I'm not sure how the process works but I don't see a reason for you to not apply. Good for you.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 16th Aug 17, 8:03 AM
    • 5,179 Posts
    • 44,359 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Thank you SW

Bit of a spendy day yesterday: Mr Swoon-worthy KW and I went to Ikea and I spent 21 on my credit card on useful rather than my usual frivolous things, then I needed some bits in MrMs, and just happened to see a cute present for each of his nieces, and as they were reduced to 1, they just had to leap into the basket along with the 9p tubs of fresh pesto. Spent 72p on more fresh (and freezable) pesto than you can shake a stick at!!

So happy I have a man who appreciates a bargain

Put 15p in my Marmite jar a few minutes ago when I got home.

MissKitty and I are off to my school in a bit to do more setting up; picking KW up from his job at 1:30 to continue, then the 3 of us are going out to dinner. 2 of the meals are already paid for on a Groupon deal, so it'll not be too much more to add on.

Tomorrow, I'm taking MissKitty and one of her friends out for the day. I've bought bread and biscuits/choc to start a picnic and we have lots of fruit and veggies at home.

Yesterday, I bought 3 stainless steel folding up cups for our picnics, as we struggled a bit with a mahoosive bottle of squash on Sunday. They're coming from an Amazon seller, and were so much cheaper than the one we'd seen in Lakeland, and hopefully the drinks will taste better than from silicon cups. At 1.07 each rather than 4.99, I'm pretty sure they will!!
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 16th Aug 17, 10:37 AM
    • 3,697 Posts
    • 19,369 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Well done on the ikea bargains and stainless steel cups sound fab ! Is there still teachers / key workers social housing that you could apply for which would move you further up the list ?
    Balance 0% credit card 1360 698
    0% Car Loan 7500 balance to pay 1/10/19 160 1/11/19 160 1/12/19 160 finishes 1/1/2020 140.
    Emergency fund 100
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 16th Aug 17, 10:24 PM
    • 5,179 Posts
    • 44,359 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Sadly, the key worker scheme stopped a few years ago Only people in the Armed Forces get priority now - and that's probably because the MoD sold off the married quarters!

Today turned out to be splendid - I now have a classroom of my own rather than a very randomly shaped room that a former colleague taught in for a few hours a week, with no character, a load of rubbish and 49 dictionaries (MissKitty counted them!!). DD and KW worked like stink and we have created a room that I hope the children will be happy to learn in, and I'll be reasonably happy to spend time in. I say reasonably happy because H&S wise it's not great, my desk area has a fixed back chair that I sit sideways at, at the wrong height so it hurts my wrists to reach the keyboard, and I'm sat right in front of the IWB, so will have to be up and down like a fiddler's elbow to let them see what they need to. Hopefully this is temporary as I've been promised I'll be first in line for a better placed, new, swanky screen, if as and when the budget allows.

Anyway.....we worked hard, we had lots of giggles and I felt so relaxed that the three of us are a fun unit After we got a ton of stuff done, we went off for a delicious Italian dinner, and naughty KW paid for DD. I'm treating us next time we go out.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 17th Aug 17, 2:15 PM
    • 5,179 Posts
    • 44,359 Thanks
    Kittikins
    I'm still feeling a bit meh, I can tell as I've been spending what is a fortune compared to my usual lifestyle.... Although some has been MS.

Took DD and her friend to a place using a Groupon but then got them chocolate as soon as we arrived - 1.60

Rather than buying individual ice creams, we bought a three pack in Mr w's 2.50 (money saving)

2 bottles of water 70p (money saving as opposed to going to a caf! for a drink, but I should have taken more drinks with us and put them in my cool box that I bought for that very purpose!

4.90 On a packet of very posh pasta and some delicious crackers in an amazing Italian deli.

Nearly 30 on taking DD and her friend out again next week - another Groupon and it looks amazing fun for them but it'll be another 10 to hire wetsuits!! Silly me

12.96 on the cinema tickets for me, kw and dd (money saving, especially as we will take our own snacks)

See? Far too much ��..... Sigh
    Last edited by Kittikins; 17-08-2017 at 3:11 PM.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 17th Aug 17, 6:02 PM
    • 14,206 Posts
    • 47,670 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hello Kittikins you mustn't beat yourself up.

I tell myself it is our summer holiday and it is ok to enjoy it. We will make up for it later. Just think we will be working with people that have gone to far away countries and spent megabucks. We are much more frugal than them.

I felt like this earlier this year just before the summer, I had spent a lot on furniture and decorating. However, my house is looking good and it was worth it even though I was panicking at the cost initially.

I am only cutting back now as I spent all my money and want to keep enough in my account to pay off my credit card.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 17th Aug 17, 6:54 PM
    • 5,179 Posts
    • 44,359 Thanks
    Kittikins
    I'm going to need to raid the mortgage fund to pay my card this month I think....oops Ah well, when I'm back at school I won't have the time to spend much, not least because my school is stuck in the back-end of nowhere
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 18th Aug 17, 7:36 AM
    • 5,179 Posts
    • 44,359 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Moved 92p to savings account

After a night full of rain tipping down outside my window, it's nice and sunny now. Just how it should be!! Love listening to the rain, but prefer to watch rather than get soaked.

Friday - so tax credits have come in; the only perk of being a single parent being I could ask for weekly tax credits and child benefit, woop woop, it's like 2 paydays every week! Wondering when my ex-husband's tiny maintenance payment will hit my account, it's a moveable "feast" (more like a curled up sandwich with a dodgy-looking filling as it's so small...but every little helps I guess).

I've not yet looked in my purse to see what change I can put in the jar, but will do before I go off to school to rearrange tables!
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 18th Aug 17, 7:55 AM
    • 5,179 Posts
    • 44,359 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Oops, just spent 19.96 on books for my class' presents (either Christmas or end of year) as there was a free delivery offer on The Book People, and I went via TopCashback.....I like to be organised y'see!!
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 18th Aug 17, 9:08 AM
    • 14,206 Posts
    • 47,670 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Blimey that's organised. I buy a couple of tins of quality street. I am a cheapskake. Max spend is 10. lol.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 18th Aug 17, 9:28 AM
    • 5,179 Posts
    • 44,359 Thanks
    Kittikins
    I love giving books These ones are fab - a collection of 6 science fun books, one's about poo!!! 83p per child!
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 19th Aug 17, 8:51 AM
    • 3,697 Posts
    • 19,369 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Wow well done on all your organising and moneysaving KK. I'm sure your class will love the science books.

SW I think your class of 16 (?) year olds would prefer the Quality Street than the books on poo
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 19-08-2017 at 8:55 AM.
    Balance 0% credit card 1360 698
    0% Car Loan 7500 balance to pay 1/10/19 160 1/11/19 160 1/12/19 160 finishes 1/1/2020 140.
    Emergency fund 100
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 19th Aug 17, 2:26 PM
    • 5,179 Posts
    • 44,359 Thanks
    Kittikins
    75p to Marmite jar
    50p to online savings in one bank account
    1.90 to online savings in the other bank account

The science books have arrived and they're amazing!! I should have 4 left over, if I don't get any new children in class, but at least I have reserves if I do. The poo book will be fab to tie in with teaching human digestion which is the best science fun you can have in Year 4

I've had a fab time since I last wrote - I cooked KW and I 'hoops' (didn't realise that you can buy what we normally see as tinned hoops as real pasta) as a scrumptious veggie sausage pasta bake, for our dinner last night and we enjoyed an amazing bottle of white wine in beautiful wine glasses, both given by fabulous parents of lovely children in last year's class. Rather than buy me flowers, he bought me some Earl Grey tea, which is the only tea I love. I mentioned it the first time I went over to his flat, and have always either had a cold drink or coffee, but this morning, I delighted in a cup of tea

I took DD for her final Christmas present from my parents, a half hour driving experience. She looked like a natural, and even got up to 44mph!! I've going to earn a 10 off voucher for another lesson I hope by doing a survey, so she may get to go again....but maybe for Christmas as I really must save some money!!

We had a part picnic, part bought lunch, as we drove to a beautiful old pub that does the most amazing cheese rolls. I had just enough cash to get a cheddar and a Stilton roll for us, nomnom. We enjoyed our cherry tomatoes, cherries and white chocolate

Popped in to school to pick a courgette and some carrots from the veggie patch and walked along the path to pick some blackberries. Very nice!
    Last edited by Kittikins; 19-08-2017 at 2:33 PM.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 20th Aug 17, 7:18 AM
    • 14,206 Posts
    • 47,670 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Sounds like a lovely perfect summer's day! We went blackberry picking too!
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 20th Aug 17, 8:47 AM
    • 5,179 Posts
    • 44,359 Thanks
    Kittikins
    54p to online savings this morning

Need to call my credit card company as I appear to have paid off some money to the wrong account within their company....hope they can transfer it without too much hassle!
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 20th Aug 17, 8:54 AM
    • 5,179 Posts
    • 44,359 Thanks
    Kittikins
    I have literally 0p in my purse and am going to take MissKitty for a swim later on - thankfully we are members of the swimming centre and I have my emergency 1 for the locker, so I'll take snacks and water for after and hopefully we can get there and back in one financial piece as it were!

My attempt to do some planning didn't go very well yesterday, I'm so easily sidetracked.....but time is pressing on and before I know it, I'll be back in the maelstrom of term-time. Today, I'm going to aim to update my old science plans for the term, it's a really dull topic about classification of animals, but hopefully a bit of Pinteresting and googling will help me spice it up a bit.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 21st Aug 17, 7:59 AM
    • 5,179 Posts
    • 44,359 Thanks
    Kittikins
    After a successful NSD yesterday, I've just ordered some boots that are more likely to fit than the cheapy-will-cost-a-lot-to-return-them-and-they-don't-fit boots I bought off ebay.....but I got a 20% discount voucher and they are 48 rather than the 75 ones I saw earlier in the month.

Actually I say 48, I've ordered 2 different styles, one 48, the other 46 and I'm pondering the virtue of keeping both styles (if they fit) as it's not good to wear the same pair every day. I tend to wear boots to school (and often every day) as I live in trousers and they're easier. I hate all footwear, would rather be barefoot or in sandals, but it's not an option in this country

I've just double-checked my credit card statement and the money I thought I'd paid into the wrong account did go through, yay! But grr, as it means my balance is ginormous!!!!

I've just paid 180 off it from my current accounts and once I've got CHB and hopefully maintenance in from my s*dding ex-husband, I'll be able to clear it all. Just hope he pays in time, failing which, I'll borrow from savings.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 22nd Aug 17, 7:29 PM
    • 5,179 Posts
    • 44,359 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Yay, another NSD today - kind of 3 in a row (I'm not counting the online purchase )

Made a packed lunch at KW's this morning, went for a swim and felt very virtuous, before going into school (again, sigh), to have various meetings about things for next year. It would have been really good had people turned up when they said they would. I ended up being at school for 9 hours!!

Ah well, I got some more planning done....and the meetings were useful...

Moved 70p into online savings. Took out 10 from the bank but haven't broken into it yet.

Hopefully tomorrow can be a NSD as well. DD and my dad are going out for the day, and I, naturally, have tons of stuff I can be getting on with!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

680Posts Today

6,065Users online

Martin's Twitter