Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 6th Aug 17, 1:27 PM
    • 5,174Posts
    • 44,340Thanks
    Kittikins
    Dreams and wishes....
    • 6th Aug 17, 1:27 PM
    Dreams and wishes.... 6th Aug 17 at 1:27 PM
    Hello! Hoping that if I start being even more sensible about saving by accounting for myself on here, I'll get to where I want to be faster....

A bit about me: My lovely DD, Miss Kittikins, and I live with my parents in their house, where I grew up. We've been there for 4 years and I think we all need our own space most of the time....I'm divorced and retained as a teacher 4 years ago (where has the time gone!!) and love my career so much. I pay 'keep' to them of roughly 1/3 of my take-home pay, and try to save as I'm very aware that a mortgage/rent would be far more than I'm currently spending!

I met a wonderful man, KW, last November, after 3 years on my own and a few interesting relationships before that. We have a long-term plan to get married and spend the rest of our lives together, but we're trying to be patient and do it when we feel financially ready. He earns much less than I do and is very frugal. I'm sometimes more of a waster....have just managed to remove a lovely 4.60 necklace out of my online basket on Debenhams, as I know I really don't need it!

I've been used to being very frugal, Miss Kitty didn't know you could get a tin of beans without a dent and a yellow sticker on it til she was about 6, but have got out of the habit and can be rather emotionally driven to spend. Sometimes life gets me down and I'll 'treat' myself to something, be it food, books, clothes I rarely wear, a present for Miss Kitty.
Page 2
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 8th Aug 17, 8:18 PM
    • 3,584 Posts
    • 19,238 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Oh you are a mean mummykins KK Only joking !

Seriously though, its the only way they learn the value of money. I used to do the same with my DS, he's 22 now and if he asks me to get him something extra outside of the money he gives me for food & bills he has to give me the money for it. My budget is tight (and so am I ) and he knows it and he earns more than me.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 08-08-2017 at 8:23 PM.
    Balance 0% credit card to pay 1360 898
    Emergency fund 0/500
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 9th Aug 17, 3:36 PM
    • 5,174 Posts
    • 44,340 Thanks
    Kittikins
    So far......today has been a NSD, but I'm going out for cocktails and dinner with a girly chum, and popping into Co$tco to buy KW some porridge (I know, the romance is never-ending with us!!), so it's going to be a spendy night out!

I'm also feeling a bit grrr, as my annual student loan statement has come through, and even though I was only at uni for a year doing my PGCE, and received a small discount on my tuition fee, I STILL owe 12,879!!

Dilemma time - unless I get made redundant and am unable to find another teaching job, I will now always earn over the threshold to pay back my loan. I currently pay 63 a month directly from my salary, it seems to help me pay, after interest has been added, approximately 340 off the total owed.

I'm tempted to clear the lot using my mortgage savings, as having the loan does lower the amount a bank will give me in mortgage terms, and also I feel like I'll never pay the money back otherwise.

However, it's also a lot of money to come out of the fund....

What to do??
    Sealed tin and beach 2p saving - trying to put everything under 1 in my purse in tins each day
    Moved house with my beloved DD and KW - 29.6.18
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 9th Aug 17, 3:38 PM
    • 5,174 Posts
    • 44,340 Thanks
    Kittikins
    As I haven't yet wasted money on anything (not that I've had opportunity to do so), I'm putting my final 1 coin into the jar). I have to go to a cashpoint to get cocktail money anyway, so it'll be nicer to do that with an empty purse....or something like that?!?!!

I now have a bigger jar as well, as I've just finished eating all the Marmite from the biggest jar and it's been washed out awaiting coins

Saving today 1
    Last edited by Kittikins; 09-08-2017 at 3:59 PM.
    Sealed tin and beach 2p saving - trying to put everything under 1 in my purse in tins each day
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 9th Aug 17, 3:57 PM
    • 3,584 Posts
    • 19,238 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I don't have any experience with student loans KK but this MSE article might help you decide

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-loans-repay

Enjoy your cocktails & dinner !
    Emergency fund 0/500
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 9th Aug 17, 4:07 PM
    • 5,174 Posts
    • 44,340 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Thanks for that Skinty, just had a good read through and will not be paying it off!!

Feeling a bit CBA about actually getting up and out of the house now, it's sooooo rainy and bleugh
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 10th Aug 17, 3:23 PM
    • 5,174 Posts
    • 44,340 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Had a lovely evening with my friend, catching up on our news and enjoying a cocktail or three.... She lives very near the town centre, so we were able to walk in to find a restaurant and back (I wouldn't want to do it late at night on my own).

She's also booked DD and I in to look after her two gorgeous kitties this weekend whilst she's away, so we're looking forward to that and pizza, icecream and Netflix are on the agenda for the evening's entertainment. The cats are so cute and we have plans with KW to go bowling, swimming and to Ikea for much needed cinnamon buns etc!!

Despite feeling a bit 'tired' this morning, I still got up at 6:30 and went for a swim on my way home so that I could be back in time to take DD to her netball camp for the final day. I felt much better after my traditional 20 lengths

I bought a packet of Percy Pigs for the lovely children who drew my class sign and still have 14 and some pennies left from the 50 I took out of the bank yesterday. I found another 5p outside the same shop I found 5p the other day, so that, plus my 35p change, have gone into the jar.

75.55 - I'm loaded, I tells ya, loaded!!!!
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 10th Aug 17, 8:21 PM
    • 13,974 Posts
    • 47,480 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Ive been told that the student debt isn't bad debt so I think you are doing the right thing. Well done on keeping fit - I'm keeping fat! Glad you will be busy with kittens at the weekend. Sounds like you will have fun. Well done on finding 5p!
    Christmas Fund 148
    Reminder: June Spending on fleabay 6.99
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 10th Aug 17, 10:45 PM
    • 5,174 Posts
    • 44,340 Thanks
    Kittikins
    I'm way off being fit....I'm pretty much round like a ball but swimming is the only exercise I actually enjoy, as it gives me space to think without feeling too guilty or lazy. I'm trying to make the most of our annual membership, which only cost as much as 5 physio sessions but seems to have done more for a dodgy injured shoulder in a shorter time span!

KW, on the other hand, is becoming even more handsome by the day; he's working out 3 or 4 times a week after work (the joys of part-time working, he can go whilst it's quiet and crack on with it) and whilst I didn't think he needed to lose weight, he's getting rather chiselled in appearance *swoon*.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 11th Aug 17, 5:50 AM
    • 5,174 Posts
    • 44,340 Thanks
    Kittikins
    92p moved from current account into savings pot I have very few transactions, other than cash out, during the month, but the only "perk" of being a single parent is getting my CHB and tax credits on a weekly basis. So, every Tuesday and Friday, my account gets a little boost, and it's lovely to see the balances go up!

I've got to go and pick up a book from the library in the nearest town that will be the book I use to base this term's English on. I must get some clearing out and tidying done as my room is getting me down and I know I have misplaced a lot of stuff I want for next term and it can only be in one of the collection of bags full of papers and general carp that I lugged home from school in July!
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 11th Aug 17, 8:47 AM
    • 13,974 Posts
    • 47,480 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Good it sounds like you will have a busy day. I'm tidying too. Well done on saving the 92p. Every bit helps.
    Christmas Fund 148
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 12th Aug 17, 9:12 AM
    • 5,174 Posts
    • 44,340 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Dear Reader, I've been spending....

I had 14 in my purse when I went out to the library yesterday, I took out 40 and have 6.50 left today...I bought some carp I really didn't need, 1 on 4 of DD's favourite choccy bar that we can take out to bowling with us tomorrow to save on buying expensive rubbish there, cheapie and delicious dinner out for me and KW and 30 went on tickets for an event for my parents as daddykin's birthday present later this month. Not sooooo bad in the grand scheme of things, but I'm kicking myself a bit about the couple of quid I spent on crap food. I blame the venue I bought the tickets from - they didn't take credit cards, so I had to go to a cashpoint.....

Food is another area where I have problems. I'm very overweight, don't like it, but suffer emotionally and tend to eat to reward or punish myself. I'm much better than I used to be, but have the occasional slip up.

73p transferred into savings account online and 5p from my purse into the jar. I was going to put the other 50p to round down my money, but need to buy pizza and icecream for DD and I tonight, so feel I 'need' my money for the weekend's shenanigans.

Today we're off to pick up some more jeggings for her as the other ones didn't fit - hopefully one of these new ones will, and that will be a 16 spend on clothes only. We also need to go to IKEA to pick something up for KW and probably buy a cinnamon bun or two.....then we're off to town for some free street festival thing and might walk past KW who's helping in a shop on our way back to kitty cuddling, pizza and Netflix.

Off to read everyone else's fab news of savings now.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 12th Aug 17, 9:45 AM
    • 5,174 Posts
    • 44,340 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Just set up a 2.5% one year regular saving account with Santander.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 12th Aug 17, 4:52 PM
    • 13,974 Posts
    • 47,480 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Gosh that's good. Well done.
    Christmas Fund 148
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 14th Aug 17, 6:43 AM
    • 5,174 Posts
    • 44,340 Thanks
    Kittikins
    What a lovely weekend! Finally got MissKitty the right size jeggings and paid them off my Next account straight away.

We had a cute time cuddling my friend's two kitties, who thankfully have recovered from their recent illness. We watched a couple of films, one possibly a bit more sweary than a child should have been watching, but it was sooooo funny at the same time that I let it slip as the words themselves weren't too bad, just the frequency!

We ate our body weight in pizza and ice cream, laughed and joked and slept like logs.

Yesterday, we picked KW up, and went bowling. I won an hour's family bowling at my school fete's silent auction and snuck in water and choccy bars to keep our energy going, lol. KW trounced us, winning 2 out of 3 games, but we put up a good defence. He also made us a scrumptious picnic which we sat and ate in a park afterwards, before DD treated us all to gelato and we wandered through the town, looking at lovely books and things, whilst enjoying the sunshine.

I needed coffee before I'd be safe to drive, so KW bought us all drinks and cake; MissKitty and I shared the most delicious cheesecake with berries on, so surely 1 of our 5 a day there?!? Then we dropped him off home and got back for dinner.

I spent less money than I would have, thanks to the picnic, taking treats, and being treated, but am glad I'm not out today. My car's off for a service in an hour, so I'll be confined to barracks with MissKitty.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 14th Aug 17, 9:43 AM
    • 5,174 Posts
    • 44,340 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Just opened another monthly savings account; I have various current accounts with 3 different banks, so am going to try and get one with each
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 14th Aug 17, 11:46 AM
    • 13,974 Posts
    • 47,480 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I am really glad you enjoyed yourself and you saved money too. Well done on opening savings accounts. Weather is glorious here. I'm enjoying my last two days of freedom.
    Christmas Fund 148
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 14th Aug 17, 5:23 PM
    • 5,174 Posts
    • 44,340 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Transferred 1.52 as my mechanic very kindly rounded down his bill to a round 165 for my service, and as another garage wouldn't have done that, I put the 'savings' into my fund. Then I transferred the extra 48p from my car fund into savings, so that I have a round figure in the car fund! So all in all, I have moved 2 across

Apart from that, I've been starting the arduous task of planning for next academic year, drowning in stuff.....feeling meh as my feelings are very hurt by things my parents said or didn't say today, and then I had an apology from one of them which it turns out, was only given because MissKitty asked them to, and even then, the apology wasn't for the words which had hurt, but for something which I knew was a joke, as it's been a long-running one.

I need my own place for me and DD.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 14th Aug 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,584 Posts
    • 19,238 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Sorry to hear your parents have left you feeling so down kk (((hugs))). It can be very difficult living with parents at any age.

Its good to hear you had such a lovely time kitty sitting and bowling / picnicking with KW. I suppose its too soon for you to move in together and save even more money ? Sorry if that's too personal you don't have to answer.

Well done on the money saving, every penny adds up !
    Emergency fund 0/500
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 14th Aug 17, 9:17 PM
    • 5,174 Posts
    • 44,340 Thanks
    Kittikins
    At the moment, it might be too complicated for us to live together, his jobs are all quite a way from me, and I need to be in a very small radius of DD's school as public transport is non existent and the school bus fees are obscenely huge.

We are thinking of it as a medium term plan and now I know miss kitty is fine with him, I'm more inclined to move our timetable along a bit. But, I have painful memories of living with my ex husband for years before we got married just before DD was born and then everything was over in a flash. I'm just feeling low and need some DD or
    kw hugs to put me right.

It'll blow over, it always does and in the meantime I'll keep looking on Rightmove....
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 15th Aug 17, 5:28 AM
    • 5,174 Posts
    • 44,340 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Transferred 70p from one bank account and 90p from another into savings. Wish my banks would do this automatically for me - I know some do, but none of mine offer it. Never mind, I tend to check my accounts every day anyway.

To do list for today:
    * Let lovely friend who invited us to stay this weekend know that we can't make it, due to something already in the diary
    * Let KW know that I've booked a table for when we take my parents out for lunch.
    * Look for DD's voucher for her driving experience, I've put it in a "safe place".....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,777Posts Today

5,216Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin