Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 10:34 AM
    • 3,480Posts
    • 39,387Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 10:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 10:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Page 169
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 30th Jun 18, 7:14 AM
    • 1,760 Posts
    • 19,853 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Tidied the house. It looks so much better now.

2. I sorted out my wardrobe and found a couple of skirts that I had forgotten about.

3. Met someone at the post office who I hadn't seen in a while.

4. Went to a rugby club dinner. The main speaker called off sick at 2pm. The replacement was good though.

5. DS1 and his girlfriend came. She seemed ok but very difficult to have a conversation with.
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 30th Jun 18, 9:39 AM
    • 3,480 Posts
    • 39,387 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Goodness what happened to June?! I have now caught up on all your wonderful posts. My apostrophes are still playing up on my iPad so I will use semi colons instead.

Lol at your PM2DD BOP I did indeed smirk at germany;s Fall from grace. You seem to have had an exciting time mhags hope daughter and haggis fully recovered soon.

Just back from 8 days in Rome which was wonderful. Haven;t been before. 3 holidays in 3 months plus the car failing its mot first time through has strained the old bank account so pulling belt back in for next couple of months. Indeed hoping for more ways than one. I seem to have refound that stone I lost oops. Well done frith and vjsmum. So July will be a month for losing some pounds and keeping a tight hold on others.
    For now, 5 wonders from Rome
    1) ice cold prosecco and very crisp pizzas with the 5 friends (including dm) I went with
    2) making new friends, including Jenny who also read physics at Westfield College, part of London university. She went up in 63, the year I was born!
    3) mass in St. Peter;s. Mum wasn;t keen as she said it would be too busy and the queues too long. But the queues were the shortest she;d ever seen and the basilica not at all crowded. I told her it;s the masses that keep the masses away ;-)
    4) an amazing meal in a fish restaurant. Each group of 4 got a huge bowl of mussels as part of the starter. Only 2 of my group liked mussels so I did well. And had my first oyster, equally yummy. Actually I ended up having 5! (Don;t worry about the non mussel eaters - it was a five course feast!
    5) 2 days in Tivoli. Gorgeous. And we were very lucky with the weather - light rain the afternoon we did energetic walking so that kept us cool.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 30-06-2018 at 9:44 AM.
    Be like a postage stamp—stick to one thing until you get there.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 30th Jun 18, 9:51 AM
    • 5,527 Posts
    • 80,998 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Morning all, back from my holibobs

Some pleasures since the boat

1. Disneyland. It is a wonderful place, just to escape from reality for a few days. We've been twisted, turned, upside downed and back to fronted; Mickeyed, Donalded, and princessed to DD's hearts content. Glorious weather and not too bad crowds helped of course
    2. Food was amazing. You don't really think of going to Disneyland for the food but we have had some truly gourmet meals.
    3. Managed to reunite a small girl with her dad. She was Spanish, we don't speak Spanish but managed to make her realise we would help her. Luckily dad came along soonish and we had prevented her running further away.
    4. Lunch in Paris yesterday. I loves Paris I do. And then Eurostar - definitely a civilised way to travel.
    5. Everyone in the garden is still alive, despite having no water for a fortnight.

Planning a quiet weekend as, technically, I am still on holiday. Have a good one all
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 30th Jun 18, 12:16 PM
    • 6,108 Posts
    • 35,401 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    The Wanderer Returns
    Welcome back there DD
    HC so yous knows, Jenny is my ICD!

V Got new toys and teeshirts yesterday. Finally gots mes a DashCam. Suicide cyclist was rolling everywhere the other day. Does not stop idiots but points them out! Watch it!

4 Germany Just has to do that again and pinch me selfs to ensure they're gone! Frog or Argies go home today!

3 No snorker fest this day as we only had poached egg on toast this morning. Tea was drunk!

2 Nite we has wobbleades inn! BoPsie was in town and those that never eat crumpets have cleared the shelves. Be aware of the Sheeple.

The key to that is ...
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 30th Jun 18, 12:41 PM
    • 13,324 Posts
    • 182,959 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) Boo...the fan broke yesterday, Boo...the replacement got last evening from Argoose didn't work...Hoorah the replacement replacement that we did an upgrade to get DOES work so we aren't melting today!!!

2) Nice chat with DD1 this morning, hadn't heard from her for a few days which is unusual but end of term kerfuffles are going on at school and she's off her feet busy.

3) Slept well last night despite the heat, poor He Who Knows woke at 4 however and migrated to the spare room as he just couldn't get back off, it was just too light.

4) Used squishy gooseberries from the allotment to make a crumble and soft blueberries from the fridge to make a blueberry and cinnamon cake rather than waste them. Puddings for the rest of the week sorted!

5) Very cold peach tea from the fridge, Oh My is it good!

can I add a 6th one just for today?

6) I've just got ALL the washing in off the line, beautifully dry and none of it needs ironing, even my jeans! now that's a first but it makes me happy!
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 30-06-2018 at 1:46 PM.
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • house elf
    • By house elf 30th Jun 18, 2:07 PM
    • 936 Posts
    • 12,259 Thanks
    house elf
    Good Afternoon,

Recent Pleasures

1. Ready cooked chicken from Costco. Easy tea.

2. Finished a big task in time.

3. New duvets arrived. Seem to be a big bargain, but not sure why! Just enjoying the savings

4. Drain survey ok, so another hurdle closer to starting to dig.

5. Dog walk along canal to Cafe Nero last night for BOGOF cold drinks.

6. Last of the House that 2 Built and Whitehouse and Mortimer go Fishing. Two little gems.

Been to Bank this morning for them to try to sell us house insurance and critical illness cover I’m sure it would be cheaper to put a bet on at Ladbrokes.

Have a lovely day
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 30th Jun 18, 8:20 PM
    • 3,314 Posts
    • 38,850 Thanks
    mhagster
    jenny has showered us all with love.
    MrsLW because everything has been upside down in our house and the iron and ironing board unreachable ive just been folding. I don't mind ironing and once I realise my life won't fall apart if i don't do the tea towels...

A day of much heat again. Sigh!

Beautiful dog walk first thing.

Beautiful flowers on my pumpkin plants.

Beautiful pasta for lunch. We both had second helpings.

Beautiful bedrooms if you don't look too close at the less than perfect bits. Just sons to get carpeted on Monday and upstairs is almost done ( after bathroom) and new stair carpet but that's months away once extension etc done. Lay on DD1's bed for a bit...need to go and make mine, now there's a bit more room l

Nice chat with niece and sister.

Mum popped in (having a sent a message but not waiting to see reply of no, not now we are glueing ! ) because we are always saying she has trip hazards all over her house she was very smugly saying the same of me...well, yes! But you're not not supposed to be here right now. And I know there's a work bench and power saw on the hall floor! Shall possibly go to hers tomorrow, depending on heat. Sigh.

We had takeaway for tea with leftovers for tomorrow.

Friend popped in with some hayfever stuff for my poor boy....who has just gone out cycling...you know what that means boyo.

Read and snoozed for a little bit this afternoon. I've had three dreams in a row ( always been a very vivid dreamer and remember them) that OH was in and then I realise he's died again. Very distressing . It's 16 months tomorrow and as always just how can that be? He would have loved this heat!
    • Frith
    • By Frith 30th Jun 18, 11:00 PM
    • 5,042 Posts
    • 47,752 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Saturday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Was it ever so slightly cooler? Maybe - a bit!

3) Took car for its MOT. Not a pleasure that with all the repairs it will come to £420 but at least it's booked in now (for Tuesday).

4) Went to the tyre place and they replaced the THREE tyres, brake pads and exhaust bracket for me. :-/

5) Cleaned the kitchen (sort of) and the bathroom.

6) My brother came up at 3pm to watch the football and smaller son made a cake.

7) Bigger son went to work (pub today, not the hotel) and said it was OK.

8) The incredibly noisy and occasionally irritating neighbours have moved out today!!!!

9) Strange conversation with other neighbour in that he wants to sell me some of his garden. He lives in what was MrN's house and the garden must be 50m long and 10 metres wide. Mine is the width of my house and about 6m long. He has offered me a strip of about 2m x 5. I have no idea what this would be worth and, with the updating of the 2 mortgages and Land Registry fees, it would not be possible for me to afford at the moment. It would be nice, though!

10) Just catching up on 24 Hours in A and E.

11) Walked down to see the chickens at about 7pm and they all seem happy. Combs are pinking up nicely and shrinking instead of flopping over their eyes. They act as radiators so are massive when they are so overheated in the battery cages. Also picked a bowl of black and redcurrants.
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    And I will learn to play the good notes
    And tune you up the best I can
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 1st Jul 18, 6:05 AM
    • 1,760 Posts
    • 19,853 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Met a friend for coffee. We had a good catch uo.

2. Picked gooseberries. I had a good crop of them this year.

3. Had a trip to the garden centre with DH. We had a sandwich and drink and used vouchers so was very cheap.

4. Saw a friend of DS2 and congratulated him on some excellent exam results.

5. Had a bbq with DH and we sat in the garden with a drink for a while.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 1st Jul 18, 6:06 AM
    • 2,804 Posts
    • 35,269 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Welcome home to all travellers.

Saturday pleasures,

Bit of a lie-in followed by boiled egg with marmite soldiers.

A winter bed blanket washed and dried on the line.

Delivery from the hay man, Capt S helped me hump 20 bales into our little storage barn at the yard, this years hay and it smelt so sweet.

Another one here who read and dozed the afternoon away.

Personally am glad that Ronaldo and Messi are out of the World Cup, perhaps the pundits can talk about other players now!
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 1st Jul 18, 6:42 AM
    • 942 Posts
    • 5,821 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    Welcome back there DD
    HC so yous knows, Jenny is my ICD!

V Got new toys and teeshirts yesterday. Finally gots mes a DashCam. Suicide cyclist was rolling everywhere the other day. Does not stop idiots but points them out! Watch it!

4 Germany Just has to do that again and pinch me selfs to ensure they're gone! Frog or Argies go home today!

3 No snorker fest this day as we only had poached egg on toast this morning. Tea was drunk!

2 Nite we has wobbleades inn! BoPsie was in town and those that never eat crumpets have cleared the shelves. Be aware of the Sheeple.

The key to that is ...
    Originally posted by Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Oh I see OH's stents don't have names (yet) although we seem to have spent most of the week talking about them!

Welcome home to all travellers.

Saturday pleasures,

Bit of a lie-in followed by boiled egg with marmite soldiers.

A winter bed blanket washed and dried on the line.

Delivery from the hay man, Capt S helped me hump 20 bales into our little storage barn at the yard, this years hay and it smelt so sweet.

Another one here who read and dozed the afternoon away.

Personally am glad that Ronaldo and Messi are out of the World Cup, perhaps the pundits can talk about other players now!
    Originally posted by LaineyT
    Couldn't agree more!

My 5 pleasures
    - A lovely bbq at DD1's, with family and her old school friends who I haven't seen in ages, we had a really good time and I've got a thick head this morning - perfect way to round off a stressful week!!

- More good footie today, and a proper rest before it all begins again

- Just one more day of being OH's chauffeur (not wishing to sound unsympathetic after what he's been through but :)

- Having great fun with the smart meter OH bought, he's set it up with our tariff so we can see what we're spending as well as what's using a lot of power etc.
    The dishwasher is dreadful, I'd started putting more in it after we got the water meter as the Severn Trent leaflet said modern dishwashers tended to use less water then hand washing, but I think I'm going back to how I did it before...

- I'm loving the Mortimer and Whitehouse programme too, and very topical for our household this week

- Last few days of Sky, OH FINALLY cancelled it, so £83.50 less going out this month, which I can put towards paying a credit card off
    Feb GC £54.80/£200
    NSD target: Jan 15/20
    Bring Your Lunch to Work Target Jan 13/18
    £1 a day: Jan £22.7/£35
    Tesco CC Aug 18 £10,151.56 £9753.37 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC Aug 18 £4321.80 £3627.85 0% til Feb 20
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 1st Jul 18, 9:26 AM
    • 5,527 Posts
    • 80,998 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Read and snoozed for a little bit this afternoon. I've had three dreams in a row ( always been a very vivid dreamer and remember them) that OH was in and then I realise he's died again. Very distressing . It's 16 months tomorrow and as always just how can that be? He would have loved this heat!
    Originally posted by mhagster
    Hugs, mhags. i am also a vivid dreamer - I often dream of mum, and now dad. I find it is nice to see them again... One dream i had of dad last week, though, was quite distressing, and it was a relief to wake up and find he hadn't been in that situation....

Pleasures for yesterday

1. Despite first waking at 4.40 I managed to drop back off. The light wakens me and i have an eye mask I put on in the early hours if i wake up, but the eye mask was still packed so I must have been tired to manage to get back to sleep.
    2. Mine and DD's washing all done, dried and folded. i will iron it later today, watching a something on iplayer. Current "Celtic Noir" is 'Hidden'
    3. Bath with an episode of the above
    4.Spent the afternoon in the garden, watering, oiling the garden furniture and reading
    5. Made bbq pulled jackfruit for tea, it was more than passable for pulled pork and i will attempt some other jackfruit recipes. Watched an episode of Poldark before bed.

OH and DS are on their way back, as I type. But not due home till tea time.

Have a good sunshiny day all
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 1st Jul 18, 11:43 AM
    • 13,324 Posts
    • 182,959 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    MHAGS really like ironing but NOT in this weather so it was such a lovely thing to be able to take things straight off the line and hang them in the wardrobes.

1) Garden centre trip for coffee which we had sat outside in the shade of an enormous umbrella.

2) Finding some lemon tea powder in the food section which will be so refreshing when we drink it cold.

3) Got a Build a Robot book for James's boys for Christmas, a Build a Dinosaur book for Zebra and a Kew Gardens lift the flap book about flowers and gardens for my little Oreo child in the book section too!

4) Nice chat with both girls this morning where Zebra managed in the background to get his hands covered in red ink from his ink stamping set and colour print the dining room chairs which had previously been cream!

5) Minestrone soup and chicken cooked early this morning when it was cool enough to do it and will be enjoyed for lunch.
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 1st Jul 18, 2:47 PM
    • 3,480 Posts
    • 39,387 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Hugs mhags I too have been having vivid dream about - maybe it;s the heat. For yesterday
    1) a much needed catch up on sleep
    2) a soak in the latest lush offering - a jelly turtle (dd1 still working there so comes home with treats)
    3) food shopping at mr l. I do like mr l - lots of lovely salad and not too painful on the bank balance
    4) then gbf came round. We walked the dogs then went to the jungle bbq
    5) then chatted till far too late. Great to catch up - he;s off most of July
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 1st Jul 18, 3:34 PM
    • 6,108 Posts
    • 35,401 Thanks
    Redacted text?
    Mhags. Shes shocking is Jenny! Oh, HC shes culled Jenny cups she gus a buzz!
    DD I have a dream. In the end it will be tears!

V Watched Darkest Hour last eve. Nearly right, but dramatic licence. OK has Cem and Win right though.

4 Watching Ladies cricket, NZ are being trounced. More later.

3 At the emporium this morning and after yesterdays warning of low stocks of pikelets I can say I have gathered in. Had to return the soy sauce as they cannot produce it! That means grizzles this weak! They be tasty!

2 Day for tea is Prawn Grizzles. New in the proper food book and Jimmy the Cook is not on the list. Recipe!

Bitsers of:
    Celery, ruff chopped.
    Onion, toe nail style, and this weaks is rather stinging on the eyes!
    Mushrooms chopped.
    Peppers, chopped.
    Prawns,
    Fry in pan, with garlic, chilli bits add chilli sweet sauce.

Add little bit of long grain rice! Egg fried today.
    Salad.

Serve hot!

And again this week keep looking for your dollops of BoP
    PM2DD Germany Argentina Portugal
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 1st Jul 18, 5:14 PM
    • 5,527 Posts
    • 80,998 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Hugs mhags I too have been having vivid dream about - maybe it;s the heat. For yesterday
    1) a much needed catch up on sleep
    2) a soak in the latest lush offering - a jelly turtle (dd1 still working there so comes home with treats)
    3) food shopping at mr l. I do like mr l - lots of lovely salad and not too painful on the bank balance
    4) then gbf came round. We walked the dogs then went to the jungle bbq
    5) then chatted till far too late. Great to catch up - he;s off most of July
    Originally posted by DundeeDoll
    Jelly turtle? My DD has not mentioned jelly turtles. I shall be having words...
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 1st Jul 18, 5:52 PM
    • 6,108 Posts
    • 35,401 Thanks
    VJs Muvver!

Wes turned turtle,

Notes only turtle I use is a wax!
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 1st Jul 18, 9:04 PM
    • 3,480 Posts
    • 39,387 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Jelly turtle? My DD has not mentioned jelly turtles. I shall be having words...
    Originally posted by VJsmum
    it;s a baby turtle jelly bomb. Makes the bath very green. I didn;t use the whole thing.
    1) lovely walk to church. Would have been on time if I hadn;t met a friend who congratulated me on my new job. The announcement has gone out at last
    2) met dd2 after the service. We went to tiger to buy 2 small magnetic net holders. They only had one left but new delivery coming in Thursday. I plan to write all weekly household tasks on cards and people can take a card from the to do holder and move to the done holder when done.
    3) lovely avocado salad in the garden enjoying the yellow thing. Yay
    4) 2 loads of washing dried
    5) mrpiano is back from his hols in Nashville. Upside he;s cooking me supper downside his body clock doesn;t reckon it;s as late as it really is!
    PM2BOP another 2 bite the dust
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 01-07-2018 at 9:22 PM.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 1st Jul 18, 9:22 PM
    • 5,042 Posts
    • 47,752 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Sunday).

1) A lie in.

2) Sausage and tomato sandwich for breakfast.

3) Hens well though they were so hot I had to "mist" them a bit with the hose pipe.

4) Did washing and a few bits and pieces round the house.

5) One of smaller son's favourite teas - flaked left over salmon, peas, mixed into pasta with a bit of mayonnaise!
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    And I will learn to play the good notes
    And tune you up the best I can
    • house elf
    • By house elf 2nd Jul 18, 2:06 AM
    • 936 Posts
    • 12,259 Thanks
    house elf
    BoP Enjoyed The Darkest Hour at the cinema. Saw them filming it at Greenwich College.

Saturday

1. BBQ at friends house for 30th wedding anniversary celebrations. DH and I dressed in 1980’s style, but no one else bothered.

2. DH went to DMiL. I went on a tour of supermarkets for cash back items and rtc.

3. Got 2 dresses in House of Fraser Sale.

4. Made LO chicken into stir fry.

5. Little snooze mid afternoon, but missed video call from DD

Sunday

1. Dyed hair blue/ Purple.

2. Cheese and bacon croissant for breakfast.

3. Craft show at NEC. Did not spend any money. Only took inspiration. Sat in on a talk from an interesting lady. Dressed as a steam punk and talking about Japanese culture of make do and mend!

4. Home, then wizzed around 4 local gardens open under the yellow book scheme. More inspiration.

5. Roast dinner for tea.

Awake and not feeling very well again.
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,079Posts Today

8,293Users online

Martin's Twitter