Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 21st Apr 17, 4:18 PM
    • 376Posts
    • 197Thanks
    fewkeste
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop
    • 21st Apr 17, 4:18 PM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop 21st Apr 17 at 4:18 PM
    I'm just in the process of switching from Robin Hood Energy to Powershop and would like to receive feedback and comments about this new supplier. Apparently they are well established in Australia and New Zealand and are operating in the UK under the Npower licence at present.
Page 49
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 2nd Dec 18, 2:17 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Tafrock
    Totally agree fewkeste. It's a very misleading description of an appalling powerpack by powershop. I won't be buying it to have it sitting there unused. Even jumbos had bigger discounts and I never used them. This pack basically gives you just enough credit to cover your standing charge. Your still getting an appalling discount. All powerpacks go into your credit pot and are used in order starting with the highest discounts first. They are all used to pay both standing charge and kWh used. So this pack would be the last used before you end up using energy at standard (sorry baseline) rate and I don't believe any powershop user would stay with powershop if they were buying any portion of their energy at the inflated standard (sorry baseline) rate. Its just too expensive
    Last edited by Tafrock; 02-12-2018 at 2:46 PM.
    • Equites
    • By Equites 2nd Dec 18, 9:40 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Equites
    Something curious going on with discounts
    I get the feeling that we need to be posting our individual discounts each month for reference as in my case I got a whopping 41% discount in this month's little extra pack.
    For the record...
    Little Extra Pack = 41% discount
    Winter Shaker = 38% discount
    Simple Saver = 19.4% discount
    May Future Pack = 14% discount
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 2nd Dec 18, 10:07 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Tafrock
    Mine are identical to those except for little extra pack where mine is 5.8%. Here we are with these two tier pricings again so why is yours so high. Are you single or duel fuel. I'm single and outside my first year promise being a client 18 months now.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 2nd Dec 18, 10:16 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Something fishy going on here
    I get the feeling that we need to be posting our individual discounts each month for reference as in my case I got a whopping 41% discount in this month's little extra pack.
    For the record...
    Little Extra Pack = 41% discount
    Winter Shaker = 38% discount
    Simple Saver = 19.4% discount
    May Future Pack = 14% discount
    Originally posted by Equites
    Mine are all the same as yours but my Little Extra Pack is only 5.7%
    A few months ago before I was moved onto Baseline/Top Shopper, I queried why newer customers were getting bigger discounts. I was told it was because they were newer customers on a different tariff to me and that when I was migrated to Baseline, my discounts would be the same.

Clearly this is not the case. I'm electricity only, 8000 kWh per year with E7 and I've been with PS since April 2017 - what's your situation Equites?
    • neilsedaka
    • By neilsedaka 2nd Dec 18, 10:17 PM
    • 343 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    neilsedaka
    Ditto to Tafrock except that my Little Extra Pack = 5.6% discount.
    • Equites
    • By Equites 2nd Dec 18, 10:45 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Equites
    Mine are identical to those except for little extra pack where mine is 5.8%. Here we are with these two tier pricings again so why is yours so high. Are you single or duel fuel. I'm single and outside my first year promise being a client 18 months now.
    Originally posted by Tafrock
    I'm single fuel (electricity) and in first year of contract with Powershop - consumption is around 4000kWh per annum.
    In theory, they say that I will pay 12.19 p/kWh per unit and 18.71 p/day standing charge if I buy all powerpacks in year 1.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 2nd Dec 18, 11:34 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Tafrock
    Anyone else got this high discount Lep.
    I see your a first year customer so I suspect that's why your Lep discount is so high equites

However my top shopper (supposedly achievable if I buy all powerpacks) rate is 12.3p per kWh with a standing charge of 16.6p
    My standard rate (baseline) is 17.31p per kWh with a standing charge of 17.57p

My annual consumption is 2611kwh
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 3rd Dec 18, 1:33 AM
    • 376 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Baseline 2018 version 1
    My tariff is Baseline 2018 version 1 with Day rate 19.46p, E7 11.31p & daily charge 16.67p and my Top Shopper rates are Day 13.82p, E7 8.03p & daily charge 15.76p
    • OnePound
    • By OnePound 4th Dec 18, 11:37 AM
    • 126 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    OnePound
    How to compare usage?
    I have been with PS for just over a year,. I have a notification from Cheap Energy Club that i could save 20% by switching. However this is calculated on the baseline rate, so Im thinking as long as I pay on average with packs over 20% discount, then i should be ok. I have been buying up discounted packs (over 18% saving) for a few months meaning I've paid for energy up to mid March according to the App.
    Does this make sense, anyone else in a similar situation? I sometime think it would be simpler to go with a standard supplier where I know exactly what the rate will be.
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 4th Dec 18, 12:11 PM
    • 1,560 Posts
    • 1,131 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    The CEC never calculates the Powershop tariffs correctly.
    The Citizens Advice Bureau site does however (it is powered by energylinx) https://energycompare.citizensadvice.org.uk/
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 4th Dec 18, 12:12 PM
    • 4,141 Posts
    • 2,000 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    I sometime think it would be simpler to go with a standard supplier where I know exactly what the rate will be.
    Originally posted by OnePound
    If you have a bit of time to push meter reads and to check costs on a monthly basis - sounds good to me. As you've done at least 12 months you can easily compare your last 12 months usage+costs against other suppliers to determine whether you're getting good value or not. Regarding the future, as you 've paid for energy up to mid March it sounds like you're in good shape for this Winter, just as charges are rapidly going up.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • archived user
    Interesting: there is an article in Utility Week (paywalled) suggesting that Citizens Advice has written to Ofgem suggesting that when the Safety Net was introduced that it was never envisaged that consumers would accrue significant credit balances. Perhaps the time has come for Ofgem to insist that all suppliers take out an insurance bond.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 4th Dec 18, 1:24 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Absolutely correct strategy
    I have been with PS for just over a year,. I have a notification from Cheap Energy Club that i could save 20% by switching. However this is calculated on the baseline rate, so Im thinking as long as I pay on average with packs over 20% discount, then i should be ok. I have been buying up discounted packs (over 18% saving) for a few months meaning I've paid for energy up to mid March according to the App.
    Does this make sense, anyone else in a similar situation? I sometime think it would be simpler to go with a standard supplier where I know exactly what the rate will be.
    Originally posted by OnePound
    Your strategy is correct. I know what you mean about the temptation to go with a standard supplier but you will almost certainly pay more.

I agree that the PS pricing is a bit opaque - you don't really know what overall discount you've achieved until the following month/accounting period when you can see your bill statement and see what you saved that month, what it cost you after discount and therefore what you have saved as a % is easily calculated.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 4th Dec 18, 1:49 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Doesn't Work!
    The CEC never calculates the Powershop tariffs correctly.
    The Citizens Advice Bureau site does however (it is powered by energylinx) https://energycompare.citizensadvice.org.uk/
    Originally posted by gsmlnx
    I was pleased to see your post and I've just visited the site but it doesn't work!

I'm on Baseline 2018 version 1 tariff and it comes up with an error message shown below to say my combination doesn't exist.

Important Message
    Our records indicate that the information you have entered in regards to your current electric supplier and the tariff or payment method is not correct, as this specific combination does not appear to be currently available. Please go back to the energy calculator and double check the information entered. If you have any difficulty please contact us and we will be delighted to assist.

I remember seeing this on another comparison site but I cannot recall which one it was (either Which or Energyhelpline I suspect as they are the two I use most.)

I'll contact them to let them know.
    • EddyM
    • By EddyM 4th Dec 18, 2:00 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    EddyM
    Hi,

My account with Powershop just went live (yesterday), although they've actually been supplying my electricity since the 8th of November (I don't have any gas). So I just thought I'd post my available packs/discounts here for comparison as someone mentioned above.

Winter Shaker: 38% off, 8.31, worth 13.40
    Little Extra: 32.7% off, 5.31, worth 7.89
    Simple Saver: 19.4% off, 5.40, worth 6.70

The thing is though, it looks like my usage may have been hugely underestimated. I'm not sure what figure they've used - when I signed up, I gave an estimated annual consumption that I'd calculated myself, as I had recently discovered that my previous supplier (E.ON) had been hugely underestimating my readings, and also made a complete mess of things when I tried to give them actual historical readings that I had. So if they've used any sort of estimate from E.ON, that could have come out as absolutely anything from 0 upwards, depending on how they decided to calculate it.

When I first logged into my new Powershop account yesterday, it said I'd used 35 more than I'd bought (in the 25 days between them starting to supply my electricity and me actually being able to log into my account). So the first thing I did was give a new meter reading, and then it changed to saying I'd used 87 more than I'd bought. The available Powerpacks haven't changed at all though, and they say they will cover 3 days, 2 days and 1 day respectively.

So unless I'm missing something, I can only buy enough Powerpacks to cover 6 days of usage this month. Does this make any sense? I thought I was supposed to be able to buy enough to cover my usage, and it sounds like others here have enough to cover even into future months.

So I would be grateful for any advice or tips anyone can offer
    (I have read through quite a bit of this thread, but definitely not all of it, as there is so much now!)
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 4th Dec 18, 2:37 PM
    • 1,560 Posts
    • 1,131 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    @fewkeste
    I had never tried using powershop as my supplier. I use my actual one so I hadn't tried what you did.
    I meant that CEC never shows the powershop results correctly (starting from another supplier) unlike the CAB/energylinx sites.
    Hope you get a reply about why that error occurs.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 4th Dec 18, 6:06 PM
    • 4,141 Posts
    • 2,000 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    My account with Powershop just went live (3rd December), although they've actually been supplying my electricity since the 8th of November
    Originally posted by EddyM
    Question (I'm not a PS customer). Does that mean you've paid full (basleline) price to end of month? Is the end of month 30th November or 8th December?
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 4th Dec 18, 6:09 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Purchase of Baseline Energy at the beginning is normal
    (I have read through quite a bit of this thread, but definitely not all of it, as there is so much now!)
    It's quite normal to have to buy some undiscounted power as a new customer, because the Future Packs that apply to your consumption now would have to have been bought several months ago when you were not a customer!

Try emailing them via the 'contact us' tab and let them know you think your annual usage is much lower on their system because of the reasons you mentioned in your post.

They may say if you input regular readings the system will quickly 'learn' and more accurately estimate your annual consumption so that in future, Powerpacks matched to your consumption will be offered.

That won't solve your current Powerpack shortfall though.

Don't buy any Baseline Energy; if necessary let your account enter the account review date with a shortfall of credit if there are no more Powerpacks to buy.

Let PS buy the Baseline Energy for you, because they will only buy the minimum needed on your behalf to settle your account. If you buy it, you may buy too much which is the last thing you want.

This situation happens to many new customers.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 4th Dec 18, 10:12 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    fewkeste
    For now buy everything no matter how low the discount
    I forgot to mention in my earlier post - for now buy everything irrespective of the discount. See my previous advice about this in recent earlier postings.

It really is worthwhile reading the entire thread from beginning to end - you will learn a lot. Invest an hour of your time and you will be much better informed and able to optimise your experience as a customer and maximise your savings.

Try to remember how 'overwhelming' this all appears at present, then in a few months, when you're a more experienced and knowledgeable customer, how easy it is to manage your account because you read the thread
    • Umiamz
    • By Umiamz 5th Dec 18, 6:11 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Umiamz
    Still waiting for access to the shop. Electricity switched on the 22nd November and gas on the 26th. The welcome pack claims 'up to 9 working days' once on supply.

From what others have said, though, it can be quite a long wait...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

417Posts Today

5,316Users online

Martin's Twitter