Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 21st Apr 17, 4:18 PM
    • 376Posts
    • 197Thanks
    fewkeste
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop
    • 21st Apr 17, 4:18 PM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop 21st Apr 17 at 4:18 PM
    I'm just in the process of switching from Robin Hood Energy to Powershop and would like to receive feedback and comments about this new supplier. Apparently they are well established in Australia and New Zealand and are operating in the UK under the Npower licence at present.
Page 48
    • Umiamz
    • By Umiamz 28th Nov 18, 2:53 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Umiamz
    @fewkeste
    By 'speculation' I meant the "ifs" and "mights" in your post. We don't yet know what other packs will be offered. Also, where does it say that the Top Shopper rate isn't guaranteed? I've looked through the T&Cs, but it's rather a long document so I may have missed something.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 28th Nov 18, 3:53 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    fewkeste
    We've spotted the Hogwash

The 'you need to buy all powrpacks to meet top shopper rate' doesn't wash with me.....

If discounts fall back to low levels in spring as I anticipate them doing so I may well have to jump ship even if its just temporarily and I return next winter
    Originally posted by Tafrock
    My thoughts exactly.

I'm even considering creating a new tab on my spreadsheet to monthly calculate what my effective annual bill would be if I achieved the discount shown in the previous month. This will clearly indicate what real discounted annual bill I will achieve, so I've got a more realistic value to compare against other suppliers.

The key problem at the moment is that when doing a price comparison, you are always comparing alternative suppliers' quotes against a possibly unattainable Top Shopper rate, and so Powershop always seems to be the best/cheapest deal.

By annualising my monthly achieved discounts and bill, I can calculate likely actually achievable annual bills and I can also work out a representative pro rata overall annual bill which would be even more representative. i.e. taking just one month's winter discount and applying that to the whole year would give an unrealistically high discount/low annual bill.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 28th Nov 18, 4:07 PM
    • 396 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Tafrock
    My last billing period showed an increase in cost of £1.23 for one kWh less electricity ie 248 kwh instead of 249 for October 13 to November 13. Only part of that billing period was at my new increased tariff rate

So my total cost was £30.32 compared to 29.09

I calculated pence per kWh to have increased in one year from 9.54 to 10.03 p

This is using my own calculation methods where I keep the standing charge constant at 17.57p per day. Powershop claim it varies and reduces to 16.6p per day as you buy powerpacks. I prefer to simplify it and calculate the standing charge at the maximum quoted

Powershop quotes my effective pence per kWh as 12.23 up from 11.68 in the bill information tab on their website. This price basically divides monthly cost by kWh used and makes no allowance for standing charge

Both price increases seem acceptable to me at the moment given the current state of the energy supply market and wholesale cost of electricity
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 28th Nov 18, 4:20 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    fewkeste
    We'll see what transpires
    @fewkeste
    By 'speculation' I meant the "ifs" and "mights" in your post. We don't yet know what other packs will be offered. Also, where does it say that the Top Shopper rate isn't guaranteed? I've looked through the T&Cs, but it's rather a long document so I may have missed something.
    Originally posted by Umiamz
    You are correct - we don't yet know what in-month Powerpacks will be offered for March and April. However, in a few days time (1st December) we will see what May Future Packs will be released and what discount they will be.

Regarding the Top Shopper rate - the first year promise is guaranteed in writing I know for certain but the first year promise is a pawltry discount off the Baseline rate.

Why don't you ring or email PS customer services again and ask if there is anything in writing to say they will guarantee a customer will achieve the Top Shopper rate [if they buy all available Powerpacks of course]. I'd be interested to know what they say to you.

They'll probably refer you to the first year promise but press them on if there's a written guarantee about achieving the Top Shopper rate if or when you contact them.

I/we will be fascinated to know what they say.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 30th Nov 18, 1:44 AM
    • 376 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    fewkeste
    I've calculated my personal tipping point
    I've now calculated my personal tipping point. At present it's 19.6% discount. If in any given month I achieve (or I'm on target to achieve) less than 19.6% discount off the Baseline Tariff, then the next cheapest supplier (Bulb) would be better value for money.

What I've done is calculated the monthly discount achieved from my PS bill - (they show what you've paid and how much you've saved each month) so you can work out the % savings in that particular billing period (month).

I then apply that discount to the non discounted Baseline Tariff annual figure to give an annual figure that would be achieved if I got the particular month's discount all year round.

Why do I do this you may ask?

The key thing is that it gives me a realistic annual figure to compare with other suppliers' offers on price comparison sites.

The problem at the moment is the alternatives always look inferior compared to the Powershop annual Top Shopper rate/quote but, as I've commented in previous posts, I'm unconvinced at present that the Top Shopper rate is achievable for the whole year.

What I've done allows me to calculate a 'spot' (monthly) estimate of what my annual bill would be at the currently achieved discount level for the latest billing period. This is a more accurate estimate of the current month's performance annualised, but what I plan below would be a better true annual achieved discount estimate.

The next level of refinement I'm considering is to calculate a running annual achieved discount, whereby the contribution to annual discount per month is weighted by each month's achieved discount and the bill for each month. i.e. each month's discount contribution is pro-rated according to what proportion of the annual spend is incurred in that month.

So, for example, if in a given month say 8% of the annual expenditure was incurred, then only an 8% proportion of that month's achieved discount level would be counted to the annual achieved discount calculation.

It sounds complicated but really isn't with a spreadsheet. Hope that helps those who have asked about my spreadsheet.
    • Umiamz
    • By Umiamz 30th Nov 18, 6:39 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Umiamz
    Personally I shall just give it a year and see whether I have achieved the Top Shopper rate at the end of the first year. I'm not bothered about a few pounds here or there - I'm in it for the unique way of managing my energy.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 30th Nov 18, 7:50 AM
    • 4,127 Posts
    • 1,991 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    It sounds complicated but really isn't with a spreadsheet.
    Originally posted by fewkeste
    An ideal candidate for a spreadsheet. And so great fun for those who have a bit of time and don't care too much if they don't end up paying the lowest gas/electric charge in any 12 month period.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • KTF
    • By KTF 30th Nov 18, 7:54 AM
    • 4,727 Posts
    • 1,940 Thanks
    KTF
    Can the spreadsheet be shared?
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 30th Nov 18, 7:59 AM
    • 4,127 Posts
    • 1,991 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    Originally posted by KTF
    Don't think fewkeste would make it public (people will review it!) but send him a direct message and I'm sure he'll help.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 30th Nov 18, 1:20 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Spreadsheet
    Originally posted by KTF
    I have already been asked that question by someone who isn't very good with formulas.

The problem is you need to be good with formulas to amend the spreadsheet to your particular circumstances and regional tariff. The other thing is that it's an online Excel spreadsheet so I'm not sure how I would do that. I've put it online because I use different devices and I wanted access to it irrespective of what device I was using at any given time.

I have no problem with people seeing it - there's no personal information in it. When I've figured out how to do the rolling achieved annual discount bit (the most valuable part in my opinion) I'll ask for suggestions on how to make it available.

Somebody in a PM mentioned Google documents - I don't know what that is but I assume it's some sort of document sharing portal that allows people to share (and presumably work on/alter) a document.

I'll give it some thought.

It really is worth benchmarking the reality of what you're actually achieving on a month by month basis because it makes you realise those other suppliers whose annual quotes initially seem uncompetitive compared to Powershop, are in reality quite competitive at the time of year when Powershop ramps discounts down.

@Umiamz - have you asked PS if Top Shopper rate is guaranteed in writing anywhere yet?
    • Umiamz
    • By Umiamz 30th Nov 18, 1:27 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Umiamz
    @Umiamz - have you asked PS if Top Shopper rate is guaranteed in writing anywhere yet?
    Originally posted by fewkeste
    No - it's not that important to me.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 1st Dec 18, 12:23 AM
    • 396 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Tafrock
    Today's may future pack a significant improvement over previous months at 14% discount. It's actually higher then may 2018 pack was which was 12.8%. Still a little low for myself to consider purchasing but a big improvement none the less. Also winter warmer returns for 2nd month running at 38%. Disappointed however to see simple saver disappear. I always bought this one as it was 18 or 19 % discount. In its place the lep (little extra pack or as I call it laughable energy price) which has a mere 5.8% discount
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 1st Dec 18, 1:53 AM
    • 376 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    fewkeste
    What were they thinking!
    5.4% LEP - come on PS - what were you thinking?

So, how's 14% Future Packs going to help us achieve the 28/29% discount we need to achieve Top Shopper? That's three months on the trot where the Future Packs are not worth having!
    Last edited by fewkeste; 01-12-2018 at 1:59 AM.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 1st Dec 18, 8:42 AM
    • 396 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Tafrock
    Simple saver was slow off the blocks. It's there now. I've purchased it but looking at my account I have 37.43 worth (6 packs) of simple saver unused on my account. These are my backstop. When I start using them I know I'm eating into packs with 19.4% discount. If they remain unused for 6 or 7 months I'll just request a refund as I did last year
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 1st Dec 18, 10:05 AM
    • 4,127 Posts
    • 1,991 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    Quick question. What determines the order the power packs are consumed? e.g. I assume specific "monthly" power packs are consumed in preference to "simple savers" (or send me to a post that already explains - couldn't see one when I just had a skim).
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 1st Dec 18, 10:08 AM
    • 396 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Tafrock
    The higher the discount the sooner the pack is consumed. Packs are always used starting with the highest discounted ones you have. So your big winter Warner discounts are used up before paltry discounts like the recently announced little extra pack. This means you end up having lower discounted packs left as credit in your pot.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 1st Dec 18, 1:27 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Helps with contingency purchases
    The higher the discount the sooner the pack is consumed. Packs are always used starting with the highest discounted ones you have. So your big winter Warner discounts are used up before paltry discounts like the recently announced little extra pack. This means you end up having lower discounted packs left as credit in your pot.
    Originally posted by Tafrock
    ... and what Tafrock has quite correctly explained above means that anyone who is worried about not having enough credit to cover a billing period, can purchase less favourably discounted Powerpacks safe in the knowledge that they will only be used if necessary.

After all, it's better to use some poorly discounted Powerpack credit than end up having to buy (or having PS buy on your behalf) undiscounted Baseline Energy if you think you haven't got enough credit to cover your bill.
    • GBD
    • By GBD 1st Dec 18, 9:25 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GBD
    Little Extra Pack - Discount Clarification
    It states in the bottom for this powerpack: "Take the Little Extra pack, itís not a biggie, but gives you a nice little discount against the small part of your monthly bill that is made up of our standing charge. It all helps!". Hence, it would appear to be solely for reducing the daily standing charge as opposed to the unit power charge per kW.hr. This applies to the new Topshopper rates. In my case, Baseline and Topshopper daily standing charge rates are 18.49p and 17.47p. If they solely apply it to the standing charge, I believe there is no harm in buying it.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 1st Dec 18, 11:07 PM
    • 396 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Tafrock
    I won't be buying it. Can't see how it can only apply to the standing charge. That's not how powerpacks work
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 2nd Dec 18, 12:48 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Little Extra Pack - probably only 'mental ring fencing'
    @GBD - I think the way this pack is described is misleading. I suspect it goes into your credit 'pot' along with all the other Powerpacks you buy.

I suspect the way it has been described is to get you to think that it's about the amount you pay each month for your daily charge (to excuse why it's so small) so the only ring fencing gong on is in your mind. I believe the standing charge element of your bill is paid out of the same pot of discounted credit as your normal consumption.

Otherwise, just think of the IT implications on the billing system they use.

Why not send them a question via the contact us tab and ask if it will actually be ring fenced and offset only against the daily standing charge and report back to us?

I don't think it is - it would be too complicated - it's just a marketing ploy to make you think like that.

It's a bit like when someone sends you a card for your birthday to say they've bought someone a goat or other livestock with a donation that would have otherwise been used as a present for you. The money they donate doesn't actually directly go to buy a goat - it goes into the general coffers of the relevant charity who have an animal purchasing program for those in need.

i.e. there is no direct link between the donation and the purchase of the animal.

So, I don't believe the purchase of this Powerpack will specifically and exclusively be set against your daily charge; it will go into the pot that everything gets paid from.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,144Posts Today

6,583Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin