Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • SVFM
    • By SVFM 16th Dec 16, 9:49 PM
    • 28Posts
    • 76Thanks
    Nhs continuing healthcare
    • #1
    • 16th Dec 16, 9:49 PM
    Nhs continuing healthcare 16th Dec 16 at 9:49 PM
    Wondered if anyone is obtaining the above for a relative and how difficult it is to get?
    Relative has been in care home for 4 years and is self funding. Initially it was residential, then dementia residential and now care home want assessment carried out for nursing care (not continuing healthcare). We have looked at the decision making sheet they will use and feel that the relative meets the criteria for NHS continuing healthcare, particularly as they are in hospital at present following injuries obtained after altercation with another resident (the suggestion of nursing care was discussed prior to this occurring). We need to obtain as much information as we can in order to decide the best option for the relative when/if they leave hospital., as we are considering all options for their future care, including bringing them home to live. Thanks for any replies.
Page 3
    • JRichFleur
    • By JRichFleur 14th Apr 19, 2:25 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Browntoa Yes, always. Incompetence and delay tactics tke your pick. Is it a relative just out of hospital going into care? Did they do a needs assessment? They are legally obliged to do this. If they have a primary health need they are obliged to do a Continuing Healthcare assessment. If her needs are sufficient (you need to research this) the NHS has to fund her care - IN TOTAL- this means paying for everything and it does not matter how much money a person has. IT IS ILLEGAL TO DO A FINANCIAL ASSESSMENT BEFORE A CARE NEEDS ASSESSMENT. Sorry I cannot post links (despite being on this site for over 10 years) I have no idea why. You should be able to find Continuing Healthcare Guide online. Don't just rely on this though. Look also at the Care to be Different website (and facebook page) there is a wealth of information. Good Luck it can be a very long haul.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 25th Apr 19, 6:46 AM
    • 35,038 Posts
    • 41,123 Thanks
    The health and financial LPA ( lasting power of attorney) has been a godsend dealing with the benefits and other agencies. It would be an expensive nightmare to deal with things otherwise.

    Make sure you have them in place for yourself and your elderly parents.

    If you are on a low income there are discounts on the normal 82 a LPA
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,985Posts Today

7,997Users online

Martin's Twitter