Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Angry Bear
    • By Angry Bear 22nd Nov 16, 2:52 PM
    • 1,911Posts
    • 4,678Thanks
    Angry Bear
    Looking for a new vacuum cleaner
    • 22nd Nov 16, 2:52 PM
    Looking for a new vacuum cleaner 22nd Nov 16 at 2:52 PM
    Hi all,

I know this might be slightly better on the "Iwant it" board, but I figured some of you here might have an opinion .
    I'm in the market for a new vacuum cleaner, and it's been so long since I last bought one that I don't really know what's good/bad/cheap ...

I have a combination of hard and carpeted flooring (but I'm happy to stick with brushing and mopping the hard floor).
    I have long hair, but no pets or children - so carpet doesn't get too dirty, but my hair does seem to get everywhere.
    I have stairs to clean so something a bit lighter or more flexible might be worth considering. But I'm also fit and healthy (fingers crossed) so if there are big downsides to the light ones I can cope with something a bit bulkier.

I sort of fancy the GTech Air Ram, but I think I might just be a victim of flash advertising

Cheap is obviously good, but my budget isn't very constrained and I would pay a bit more for something good that's likely to last.
    Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?
    ― Sir Terry Pratchett, 1948-2015
Page 2
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 8th Sep 17, 4:37 AM
    • 6,093 Posts
    • 35,306 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    You sucker!
    No, go for a Dyson Animal. Current BoPse whips around with one, it is purrfectvif you gave a cat!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 8th Sep 17, 8:58 AM
    • 1,293 Posts
    • 1,002 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    You can't beat a Henry for value for money and longevity.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 8th Sep 17, 9:38 AM
    • 10,958 Posts
    • 120,486 Thanks
    LameWolf
    I have a lightweight Dys0n Animal - essential as I am a Carer for a dog-sittting company. I also have an £lectrolux handheld.

I know cordless seem to be all the rage at the moment, but I wouldn't get one.

I used to have a cordless handheld; but with cordless items, you can only recharge the battery so many times (like your rechargeable AA batteries really) and then it won't hold a charge any more. When this happened, admittedly I'd had the machine several years, I wanted to get a new battery as the machine itself was fine, but was told rather curtly by the company that I'd have to buy a complete new unit, they didn't do batteries for that model any more.

So I opted for the corded variety after that,

Just my two-penn'orth.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • charlesdavid
    • By charlesdavid 5th Jul 18, 9:05 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    charlesdavid
    Hy Everyone !!!
    I have bought a new house and i am using my new vacuum cleaner for clean out my house.
    Please give me your suggestion which one is using you ?
    thanks
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 5th Jul 18, 9:25 PM
    • 4,291 Posts
    • 9,402 Thanks
    Linda32
    Any new vacuum cleaner, upright and bagless.

Whatever suits your budget.
    • chattergi
    • By chattergi 28th Jul 18, 6:16 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    chattergi
    I love Dyson vacuums, Never tried any other brand.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 28th Jul 18, 7:13 PM
    • 1,340 Posts
    • 2,315 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    I love Dyson vacuums, Never tried any other brand.
    Originally posted by chattergi
    Poor you! Try a Miele.
    • K9sandFelines
    • By K9sandFelines 28th Jul 18, 7:13 PM
    • 2,113 Posts
    • 18,217 Thanks
    K9sandFelines
    Ive had Bissells, and Dysons in the past but now will stick with the Shark. It has proved to do the job well, and is durable. Whereas the Dyson or Bissell would have become ineffective by now or burnt out. I love the Shark as it lifts off the motor for stair cleaning as did the Bissell, and it twists for going under furniture. Its bagless too for emptying. We have seven cats and myself and my two Dds have hair that also gets everywhere. If it ever gets wound around the bottom. I cut it and pull it out. We have carpet and laminate. Generally it copes with most of the hair and everyday tasks.
    GC 2017 £3,434.09 GC 2018 £2,250.95 GC 2019 Jan £268.24/£200 Feb £158.01/200 Mar £220.05/£200 April (moving) May (adjusting £270.73), Jun £72.43/£280
    ~ Still learning the art of frugality ~
    • chattergi
    • By chattergi 2nd Aug 18, 12:05 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    chattergi
    Will try at this black Friday.
    • Emuchops
    • By Emuchops 5th Aug 18, 6:07 AM
    • 791 Posts
    • 2,105 Thanks
    Emuchops
    Less than £25.00!
    I bought one of these in March and it's amazing -the reviews are true. I was skeptical simply because it was so cheap. Only downside is that it needs emptying after doing two or three roooms. Really light too.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00G46LWB0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 21st Sep 18, 11:09 PM
    • 16,735 Posts
    • 143,383 Thanks
    JackieO
    My DD bought a Shark when her Miele eventually died on her and she loves it They have four boys and two dogs so she needed something that picked up well I think she bought it from Argoose
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Guineapigsqueaks
    • By Guineapigsqueaks 22nd Sep 18, 9:45 AM
    • 302 Posts
    • 3,052 Thanks
    Guineapigsqueaks
    I have an Argos Value one, an earlier version of this one:
    https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7344745
    It's fab. Had it about 5 years and still going strong. Mine was £35.
    Guineapigsqueaks x

Keep Smiling
    • matthewbarbar44
    • By matthewbarbar44 22nd Sep 18, 9:26 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    matthewbarbar44
    awesome
    such a great platform, thanks all
    • unindexed
    • By unindexed 12th Mar 19, 8:33 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    unindexed
    Looking for a new vacuum cleaner
    well as far as I can see that's a load of Chinese plastic junk !!

upright Sebo X4 something like that. German engineering yes its a bagged cleaner but it will take punishment for years. look up reviews

cylinder look for numatic everyone has seen them with the eyes stuck on them henry and other names etc. very tough little units
    Last edited by unindexed; 12-03-2019 at 8:49 AM.
    IT is one the most growing industry to work in
    • davidgreams
    • By davidgreams 20th Apr 19, 12:19 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    davidgreams
    Iv gone through most brands including Vax and Dyson.

Recently bought a shark lift away. Im not usually loyal to brands but il never buy another brand again. Fairly priced and it’s performance is miles better than my mums Dysons, actually makes my carpet look newer. It all clips together so easily and emptying after every use is really quick and easy. It handles amazingly and even has a headlight!

Like somebody once said to me. ‘Once you’ve bought a shark, you become a shark salesman to your friends and family’.
    • sunset gold
    • By sunset gold 20th Apr 19, 10:12 PM
    • 207 Posts
    • 693 Thanks
    sunset gold
    Sebo , we've had it for more years than I can remember. Initial output was expensive but all parts can be purchased and replaced. We chose it over a dyson which was a new and expensive innovation. So glad we did. Although dysons are now consirably cheaper than they were, I'm sure my sister is on to her third, in the time we've had our sebo.
    Originally posted by stormbreaker
    Sebo without a doubt for us, we have two, our first is 25 years old and now does all our outside hoovering (we have artificial grass) our current one is 10 years old and still works as new. Replaced hose on 25 year old one, but no repairs, not had to replace or repair anything on the 10 year old one. Would only buy Sebo now. We have three Labrador dogs, children have left home, bought first one when eldest was 6 months old! Can’t do better than that in my book.
    • Mistral001
    • By Mistral001 23rd Apr 19, 1:01 PM
    • 3,747 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    Mistral001
    Henry is fine. It has a very long lead, is powerful and as tough as old boots. The bags can be quite economical as long as you buy them online (£2 to £5 a year should cover you).
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 24th Apr 19, 6:34 AM
    • 1,293 Posts
    • 1,002 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    Henry is fine. It has a very long lead, is powerful and as tough as old boots. The bags can be quite economical as long as you buy them online (£2 to £5 a year should cover you).
    Originally posted by Mistral001
    And you don't get a face full of dust when you try to empty it.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • vacexpert
    • By vacexpert 19th May 19, 7:51 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    vacexpert
    I just bought a house full of Mohawk Smart Strand silk carpeting. They tell me I need a suction only vacuum or one with big wheels, an adjustment to raise or disengage the beater bar, CRI approved, and suction that won’t pull the carpet deep into the machine. What is your recommendation so I will be sure my warranty won’t be impacted?
    Thanks for all your info.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,193Posts Today

8,899Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• RT @justinbones: Just looking at how the bad weather may be impacting business and the economy. Thankfully someone has already looked at th?

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @EmmaBarnett from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin