Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Angry Bear
    • By Angry Bear 22nd Nov 16, 2:52 PM
    • 1,911Posts
    • 4,678Thanks
    Angry Bear
    Looking for a new vacuum cleaner
    • 22nd Nov 16, 2:52 PM
    Looking for a new vacuum cleaner 22nd Nov 16 at 2:52 PM
    Hi all,

I know this might be slightly better on the "Iwant it" board, but I figured some of you here might have an opinion .
    I'm in the market for a new vacuum cleaner, and it's been so long since I last bought one that I don't really know what's good/bad/cheap ...

I have a combination of hard and carpeted flooring (but I'm happy to stick with brushing and mopping the hard floor).
    I have long hair, but no pets or children - so carpet doesn't get too dirty, but my hair does seem to get everywhere.
    I have stairs to clean so something a bit lighter or more flexible might be worth considering. But I'm also fit and healthy (fingers crossed) so if there are big downsides to the light ones I can cope with something a bit bulkier.

I sort of fancy the GTech Air Ram, but I think I might just be a victim of flash advertising

Cheap is obviously good, but my budget isn't very constrained and I would pay a bit more for something good that's likely to last.
    Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?
    ― Sir Terry Pratchett, 1948-2015
Page 1
    • pretz
    • By pretz 22nd Nov 16, 3:18 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 3,227 Thanks
    pretz
    • 22nd Nov 16, 3:18 PM
    • 22nd Nov 16, 3:18 PM
    I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED my hetty but when our puppy chewed her lifeline off sadly we was unable to bring her back and stupidly purchased a vax bagless thing that I hate. I mean at first it was great had really good suction, super light, small to store however 6 months on I've taken it apart so many times to unblock it that I'm willing it to die just so I can buy a hetty again. She was great if not a bit of a big girl and took up a fair bit of room in her cupboard but she never got blocked and she could suck up anything.

I really recommend looking into a hetty although she's not much fun to hoover stairs with.
    Last edited by pretz; 22-11-2016 at 3:23 PM.
    • catslovelycats
    • By catslovelycats 22nd Nov 16, 3:47 PM
    • 1,684 Posts
    • 11,207 Thanks
    catslovelycats
    • 22nd Nov 16, 3:47 PM
    • 22nd Nov 16, 3:47 PM
    I love my Miele. Had 2 Dysons previously both of which lost suction.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 22nd Nov 16, 3:51 PM
    • 2,223 Posts
    • 2,466 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    • 22nd Nov 16, 3:51 PM
    • 22nd Nov 16, 3:51 PM
    Another vote for Miele over dyson. Sadly I currently have the latter.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 22nd Nov 16, 3:58 PM
    • 1,340 Posts
    • 2,315 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    • 22nd Nov 16, 3:58 PM
    • 22nd Nov 16, 3:58 PM
    Miele C3 does the business here.
    • Cisco001
    • By Cisco001 22nd Nov 16, 4:09 PM
    • 3,072 Posts
    • 1,324 Thanks
    Cisco001
    • 22nd Nov 16, 4:09 PM
    • 22nd Nov 16, 4:09 PM
    I am looking for new vaccum cleaner as well, I current have light weight bagless VAX, don't like it.

Someone suggest me Miele C2 Cat & Dog, it suit my needs and lightweight, but I think the bags are slightly expensive.
    it is on sale at currys right now...

I am considering Shark NV680UK at the moment. There review seems good, but it is heavier than Miele
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 22nd Nov 16, 4:20 PM
    • 3,102 Posts
    • 42,185 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    • 22nd Nov 16, 4:20 PM
    • 22nd Nov 16, 4:20 PM
    We have a Meile Cat and Dog and a Dyson V6 fluffy, the Dyson is used everyday for quick 'run rounds' - and the Meile for a 'proper' clean once a week - love both
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 22nd Nov 16, 5:11 PM
    • 2,837 Posts
    • 26,400 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    • 22nd Nov 16, 5:11 PM
    • 22nd Nov 16, 5:11 PM
    After many questions on various os threads over the past months I bought the Shark Rocket Truepet HV 320 . I have always had Henry's but was unable to cope with lifting up and down stairs and also hoovering stairs .
    Henry now lives upstairs and is used there . New one is a lift off so good for stairs , cornices all sorts in fact . Slightly heavier than I hoped but still better than dragging Henry round .
    As family members own both Dyson and GTech I got to try theirs before making a decision and found them not suitable .
    I read lots of reviews and the few negative ones seemed to be a result of not researching first or not reading all instructions properly .I bought mine from the manufacturer via the site beginning with A .Delivered free within 48hrs by Royal Mail and free 5 year guarantee on registering online . At just under 150 it was an affordable option and nearly two months on I am happy with my choice but Henry will still be used - His little blue smile makes me smile , sad but true !
    polly
    • Teapot55
    • By Teapot55 22nd Nov 16, 5:46 PM
    • 218 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    Teapot55
    • 22nd Nov 16, 5:46 PM
    • 22nd Nov 16, 5:46 PM
    We have the Miele S8 Cat & Dog - even though we don't have pets - brilliant.
    • stormbreaker
    • By stormbreaker 22nd Nov 16, 6:03 PM
    • 2,210 Posts
    • 6,085 Thanks
    stormbreaker
    Sebo , we've had it for more years than I can remember. Initial output was expensive but all parts can be purchased and replaced. We chose it over a dyson which was a new and expensive innovation. So glad we did. Although dysons are now consirably cheaper than they were, I'm sure my sister is on to her third, in the time we've had our sebo.
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 22nd Nov 16, 6:08 PM
    • 3,967 Posts
    • 7,491 Thanks
    culpepper
    I bought a refurbished Henry from ebay . It's the best vacuum cleaner I've ever owned. I still have the turbo brush from my old dirt devil which was a brilliant little rotating brush but on the dirt devil, only ever worked if you emptied the dust container and then only for a short while, it fits Henry and whizzes around grabbing all the bits and pieces. He has a long power chord and is quite light plus his wheels mean he follows around as I walk.
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 22nd Nov 16, 7:01 PM
    • 6,817 Posts
    • 87,056 Thanks
    bossymoo
    I have an air ram, great, use on carpets, Riga and wood floor. You can also get a hand held addition for stairs etc. Costly but works a treat.
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies
    • Fairenuff
    • By Fairenuff 22nd Nov 16, 8:52 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    Fairenuff
    I have just bought the Dyson Cinetic Ball upright and it is the best option if you have long haired dogs and cats I couldn't believe the hair picked up by it ,I am a Dyson fan had them for years and this new one really is the business
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 22nd Nov 16, 9:04 PM
    • 3,408 Posts
    • 20,797 Thanks
    purpleivy
    Miele very good!
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 22nd Nov 16, 10:36 PM
    • 12,015 Posts
    • 32,182 Thanks
    suki1964
    Miele picks up my hair from the carpets no bother
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • helcat26
    • By helcat26 23rd Nov 16, 7:22 AM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 2,787 Thanks
    helcat26
    Hated my dyson- the most I have ever paid for a vac and after a while the suction really dropped off despite cleaning filters.
    • Angry Bear
    • By Angry Bear 23rd Nov 16, 8:22 AM
    • 1,911 Posts
    • 4,678 Thanks
    Angry Bear
    Thanks all, that gives me somewhere to start .
    I'll do a bit of research based on the suggestions and see what's around for Black Friday deals.
    Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?
    ― Sir Terry Pratchett, 1948-2015
    • juliettet
    • By juliettet 23rd Nov 16, 9:06 AM
    • 666 Posts
    • 4,335 Thanks
    juliettet
    Miele cat & dog keeps mine spotless.
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 23rd Nov 16, 11:23 AM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 10,212 Thanks
    Living proof
    My Dyson V6 is just right for my mix of wooden floors downstairs and small areas of carpet upstairs. My daughter had one first and I thought it was a huge extravagence until I used it, and was converted! Difficult to empty though and horrifying to see how much dust and fluff it picks up in just a few minutes of use. I still have an upright hoover and you would need this if you had a big expanse of carpet.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 23rd Nov 16, 4:37 PM
    • 6,018 Posts
    • 28,313 Thanks
    Slinky
    I have the Gtech airram and love it, but you say you have long hair, I think that could end up getting wound round the rollers and need pulling out, so I'd avoid it in your circumstances.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

387Posts Today

4,608Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin