Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Needhelpsaving
    • By Needhelpsaving 14th Nov 16, 4:58 PM
    • 844Posts
    • 3,329Thanks
    Needhelpsaving
    Getting back on the MFW Wagon
    • 14th Nov 16, 4:58 PM
    Getting back on the MFW Wagon 14th Nov 16 at 4:58 PM
    Hi

I have attempted this MFW wannabe journey before, with little success and after reading so many threads on the forum, would like to try again.

Looking back, trying to start a MFW challenge with a newborn was possibly not the best time for me as I had made grand plans, just when our income was decreasing.

A little bit about us, I am 29, have an OH 34 and a LO aged 3. We bought our home 8 years ago and have a mortgage of 80,000, a family loan of 7,000 and 0 in savings

Our first goal is to save a 1500 Emergency Fund by the end of February, whilst staying on track to pay off family loan (on target to pay off in June 2017).

I have finished all my Christmas shopping, except 1 gift, so should be on track to save a decent chunk of my salary next month (I work part-time).

I need to stay accountable in this journey and what better way than to publish it on the internet?!
Page 22
    • Needhelpsaving
    • By Needhelpsaving 4th May 19, 8:20 AM
    • 844 Posts
    • 3,329 Thanks
    Needhelpsaving
    Good Morning!

I didn't post yesterday as frankly I was really tired. This weekend is going to be a quiet one, with rest being a priority.

Positive Money Actions Yesterday

1. Weekly shop done, 33p over budget, but I'm happy with that.

2. I received 12 of M&S vouchers from the credit card points (this is from paying wedding stuff on the card for the protection and points, then paying the card straight off with wedding savings).

3. As I'm counting the M&S vouchers in the grocery budget, I have moved 12 to sinking funds.

4. Entered 4 competitions.

5. Got another mystery shop job yesterday, so have 3 to do in the next couple of weeks.

6. Cashed out a 5 voucher from doing surveys, again, this will go into grocery budget once it is received, and cash equivalent (minus tax) will go to sinking funds.
    Last edited by Needhelpsaving; 04-05-2019 at 10:16 AM.
    Target 1 - Cash Flow Wedding

Target 2 - Pay Mortgage Down to 30,000 by 31/12/19 Mortgage Starting: 58,073.00 Currently: 55,545.80
    • Needhelpsaving
    • By Needhelpsaving 5th May 19, 9:31 AM
    • 844 Posts
    • 3,329 Thanks
    Needhelpsaving
    I feel that these lists may be a bit tedious for people to read, but they're keeping me on track and helping us focus on the positives of where we are in life

So, we have now dropped to one income, I have not returned to work after maternity leave, as the childcare expenses are

I feel fortunate to be able to be at home, but it does mean we need to be more creative in how we use our money so that we can continue to work towards our goals.

At the moment, we are on track for where we need to be with wedding expenses and we are slightly ahead with the savings aspect of it. I think that by making a list of what are priorities for us has really helped, and in some areas, we have been brutal and just said, we're not doing that (videographer, wedding favours, wedding cars etc).

So in the same vain of staying positive, here are the Positive Money Actions we took yesterday;

1. OH was offered a free football ticket as someone has dropped out last minute - so other than a few beers, it's a free outing for him

2. Penultimate wedding venue deposit paid on credit card (we only do this for the protection and points, then pay the CC bill with the wedding savings).

3. 5 M&S voucher received from survey site, so I will move the cash (minus tax) to my sinking funds.

4. Mystery shop completed yesterday, report submitted.

5. NSD from main accounts (wedding spends are counted separately )

Target 2 - Pay Mortgage Down to 30,000 by 31/12/19 Mortgage Starting: 58,073.00 Currently: 55,545.80
    • Needhelpsaving
    • By Needhelpsaving 8th May 19, 8:38 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 3,329 Thanks
    Needhelpsaving
    A busy couple of days in our house, so posting has dropped off. I have still been trying to be mindful with our money and have also tried to earn a little extra.

Positive Money Actions;

- Made sure credit card has been paid off in full, as we had put the penultimate wedding deposit on it.

- Continued to enter competitions.

-Had confirmation that competition prize won last week is being delivered tomorrow

- Three mystery shops done and reports handed in.

- Stayed up to date with surveys and have cashed out a 3 Amazon voucher from SB.

- Got the 10 MOT voucher from Halfords and have booked (although if anyone is getting one, be aware that they want it paid for up front).

- I've applied for two product tests (will wait to see if either materialize).

- I have picked up an opportunity to do a 5 week online diary (a couple of minutes every 2-3 days) for 22 reward.

• Needhelpsaving
    • By Needhelpsaving 11th May 19, 4:59 AM
    • 844 Posts
    • 3,329 Thanks
    Needhelpsaving
    Good morning!

Things are ticking along here, and we have a no spend weekend planned.

I went food shopping yesterday and ended up 16.42 over budget, but I was aware of this at the time. 10 of this was for two re-useable swim nappies in the next 2 sizes, as they were on the baby event for 4.99 each instead of 10 each, and I treated myself to some flowers and the kids to some treats (ice cream and some chocolate rice cake things).

No excuse on the treats, I just wanted them

In contrast, I have been keeping up with money earning/saving in other areas.

1. Made my own ironing board cover from fabric I had rather than buying new (although the last 'new' one lasted about 8 weeks, so I think i'll stick to HM in future). I also took a unicorn applique off of one of DD1 old dresses (not in a state to be re-sold/passed on), and sewed it on, I love that it's unique

2. Competition prize arrived and being enjoyed

3. I was paid for one of the three mystery shops I did last week, that money has been sent to sinking funds (minus tax contribution).

4. I picked up another mystery shop and completed that too.

5. I took in a top and a night dress to be able to wear them for longer (taken in after post-pregnancy weight loss).

6. Continued with competition entries (more of a hobby).

• Needhelpsaving
    • By Needhelpsaving 14th May 19, 12:49 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 3,329 Thanks
    Needhelpsaving
    Hi

So the weekend was fairly quiet here and there were no spends We went to a park in a town about 40 minutes away, it was a nice change of scenery and we made sure we took a picnic with us.

Yesterday was also an NSD, but I was treated to a new stainless steel water bottle courtesy of OH work who were giving them away free .

NSD again today, again treated to a bacon roll and cake by my mum who came to visit.

Not much planned for the rest of the week spending wise, payday is just over a week away, but we're doing okay (and this month has been far less spendy, which we needed ).

Things to do;
    1. Get items sorted out listed on Ebay today.
    2. Complete surveys available.
    3. Keep an eye out for mystery shopping opportunities.

• earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 15th May 19, 7:15 PM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 27,763 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Love your freebies!!

I haven't posted for about a week just so busy all day and then tired out. Hope you enjoy the rest of your peaceful(cheap) week!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (220k) Bought Dream House Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again

May budget Review - I saved 700 : https://youtu.be/eBorBymXXCQ

Budget for June - Aiming to Save 2000: https://youtu.be/SExHVDMY_JE
    • Needhelpsaving
    • By Needhelpsaving 19th May 19, 2:53 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 3,329 Thanks
    Needhelpsaving
    Happy Sunday!

This week has been fairly low spend, which is good.

I took some time yesterday to go through the month's spends and take a good look at how the budget is fairing now we're heading for the half year point. I have made some changes, as things I thought would work, haven't and other areas have no buffer at all.

So, I have removed the option of having a separate savings account for the Child Benefit, as I end up spending most/all of it every month, and it's more hassle than reward in terms of managing it.

I have added a couple of extra sinking funds, and have increased both DD's savings, in preparation for their futures.

Ebay listings have been done and three items have sold already. The first sale was one of DD1's toys, so I have put the money from that sale into her savings (minus postage and fees). The money from the other two sales will go into sinking funds, but I won't move any money until they've been posted.

6 items are live listings and two have bids on
    Last edited by Needhelpsaving; 19-05-2019 at 2:57 PM.

• Needhelpsaving
    • By Needhelpsaving 21st May 19, 6:00 AM
    • 844 Posts
    • 3,329 Thanks
    Needhelpsaving
    Good Morning!

Positive money actions yesterday;

1. Yesterday was the day I do the weekly shop - got it in at 26.04 (I am mainly using things we already have in the cupboards). I used cash and planned the shop (and this time added no extra bits).

2. Sold two more items on ebay, they have been posted, and the money, minus postage and fees has been moved to the sinking funds pot.

3. Walked to the shops to save in petrol (and increase my exercise).

4. Requested a 3 Amazon Voucher from Receipt Hog.

• earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 21st May 19, 9:41 AM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 27,763 Thanks
    earthgirl
    That's great with the ebay sales. Hope you got a nice rest at the weekend!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (220k) Bought Dream House Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again

May budget Review - I saved 700 : https://youtu.be/eBorBymXXCQ

Budget for June - Aiming to Save 2000: https://youtu.be/SExHVDMY_JE
    • Needhelpsaving
    • By Needhelpsaving 23rd May 19, 8:29 AM
    • 844 Posts
    • 3,329 Thanks
    Needhelpsaving
    Good Morning!

This week has been quite frugal, which I am pleased about.

We have enough food to last us until Sunday/Monday when I will do the shop for next week. I have only spent 90p extra on food, and that was down to a lack of planning on my part (picked something up while we were out).

Positive Money Actions this week

1. I haven't used the car at all this week, so we've saved on petrol and increased exercise

2. I've had another item sell on ebay, which needs to be posted today, again, the money will go into sinking funds (minus fees and postage).

3. I have received an item for a product trial, which I need to do over two weeks

4. Claimed another 5 Amazon voucher from a survey site yesterday, this has been used towards xmas sinking fund.

5. We were offered (and accepted) some wedding decorations from my sister (all free), which is a lovely gesture. I have also been gifted a 'Bride to be' dressing gown and slippers, again, a lovely gesture. It's all coming together

6. I have continued with surveys/looking for extra ways to save/earn money.

Payday on Friday

• Needhelpsaving
    • By Needhelpsaving 27th May 19, 5:50 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 3,329 Thanks
    Needhelpsaving
    Happy Bank Holiday!!!

I honestly have no idea where the time is going - almost half way through the year? How did that happen?

Payday has come and gone in our household and all money shuffles have been done. I did do the weekly shop yesterday, that came in at 44.37, plus 15 petrol.

Positive Money Actions since 23/05

1. Stuck to Grocery and Petrol budgets.

2. Sold two more bits on Ebay, one awaiting payment, one to be posted tomorrow. Again, this money will go to sinking funds (minus fees and postage).

3. Have another mystery shop booked in for this week.

4. Did not use the car all week, and am planning to reduce car useage this week.

5. Booked a cinema trip for OH & DD1 using the cinema voucher she had for xmas (free to us half term activity).

6. Found 4.30 in coins around the house/car.

Things to do;
    - Keep up to date with surveys.
    - Find and list more things for sale.
    - Keep half term spends low to none (have three craft kits from DD1 birthday that can be used as entertainment and will call the library tomorrow to see what they have on Thursday/Friday).
    - Get some typing work done to work towards my additional earnings goal of 385.28 for June.
    Last edited by Needhelpsaving; 27-05-2019 at 6:08 PM.

• Needhelpsaving
    • By Needhelpsaving 1st Jun 19, 2:21 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 3,329 Thanks
    Needhelpsaving
    Hi!

I've been offline for a few days enjoying some family time, but money saving/making has still be happening in the background.

Positive Money Actions since last post;

1. Sold 4-5 more things on ebay/shpock. Again, all money, minus fees and postage has gone into sinking funds.

2. I had set myself targets for 11 sinking funds to be topped up in June and so far, I have hit the monetary target on 5 of them.

3. Was gifted a 5 pack of brand new vests for DD1.

4. Have completed 1 mystery shop and have booked 3 more for next week.

5. Found another household saving (10), and have sent the equivalent to sinking funds via online banking.

6. Have been listening to an audio book called $1000 project for motivation.

7. Had a cheap day out to a local farm and park for 10 yesterday, and if we keep the receipt we can visit again, free of charge before the end of June, so we will have to do that one of the weekends.

Things to do;
    1. List 4 more items for sale
    2. Update one listing to try to get it shifted
    3. Continue with surveys
    4. Continue with competition entries
    5. Get back to some typing work to bring in extra
    6. Meal plan and shop for week ahead

• Needhelpsaving
    • By Needhelpsaving 5th Jun 19, 6:12 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 3,329 Thanks
    Needhelpsaving
    Not much to report this week I'm afraid, but I have managed some small money making bits.

Positive money actions this week;

1. 5 amazon voucher cashed out from a survey site today.
    2. 3 more mystery shops done this week, reports submitted.
    3. Listed two more items online for sale.

• Needhelpsaving
    • By Needhelpsaving 9th Jun 19, 6:22 AM
    • 844 Posts
    • 3,329 Thanks
    Needhelpsaving
    Sorry for being AWOL again for a few days, apparently 2019 is not my year of health, as I have been unwell again for the last few days.

It's something I need to think about, as no-one else in the house is becoming ill, so I need to have a think about how I can improve my diet/exercise/rest routines going forward.

On the money front, it has naturally been a little slow, as frankly I couldn't be ar**d.

Positive money moves since last post

1. All 3 of my Mystery Shops have been signed off to be paid, but the money won't come through until June, but when it does come into the account, it will be moved to sinking funds.

2. I have completed the product trial I was sent, again, money pending.

3. Continued with a 5 week survey, currently have 13 pending for answers submitted so far, but money is only paid at the end of the five weeks.

4. Listed a couple more bits online for sale.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,961Posts Today

7,972Users online

Martin's Twitter