The trials & tribulations of a 1st time landlord & investor

Comments

• TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,511
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Carpets should be going down today house is almost there will call estate agent tomorrow. Cleaner is doing curtains I think I'll get her to clean house as well once I know when it's done.

Also joined the residential landlord association got 27% discount and it's tax deductible. They do good landlord insurances I hear. Also some handy information on their site.

Work ok everything has been handed over but I don't quite understand it all but I can still ask. Met my old manager yesterday had really good chat about what happened which was really good and best of all she's agreed to be my mentor. That's going to be brilliant! Just need to suss out what it entails so I can let her know. Also her PA who I got on really well with is back at work so I'll meet up with her soon. She went on maternity leave but the baby was stillborn.

Need to get out of bed now done a bit of a money shuffle and my credit card isn't as scary as it was however have to pay painter and carpet guy could really do with insurance money hopefully some news today or later this week would be so nice.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Feb 24 £41,650 (Wins, Jan £200 Feb £150) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• TallGirl
    Forumite
    Carpets are down £427 and painting complete on the house £1075 now just need a clean and curtain hung so can call estate agent tomorrow.

Happy days and so much cheaper than other quotes I got from Ratedpeople which was close to £3k
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Feb 24 £41,650 (Wins, Jan £200 Feb £150) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• TallGirl
    Forumite
    Curtains hung cleaning done today and estate agent around Friday morning but I'll miss him as I'm at the IFA. Still not sleeping well really fed up with this and DG is getting up so early every morning doesn't help as she's behind on her work. Work is fine learning a lot but lots of meeting of new people and still no desk of my own and my back is seriously not happy. Hopefully Monday it will be sorted out.

Look forward to tomorrow seeing IFA and then two days of golf followed by seeing my good friends and the cats.

Money wise things are ok but got those two bills to pay for house but that is it then.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Forumite
    Phew what a weekend so tired but had a great time. Ended up travelling down Thursday night spur of the moment got cheap hotel (£61 incl breakfast). Friday I saw the IFA he was really helpful he's going to help me firstly combine my own pensions and then once the other money comes through we can look at the rest.

House looks good needs a few more bits done so painter back Thursday £90 more but worth it. Friday and Saturday golf in a lovely hotel and then Saturday night at friends where I saw one cat Thomas was playing hard to get. Didn't spend that much money one bottle of wine that was it plus lunches at golf club. Had a really good time and lovely to see friend and cats even if I didn't see Thomas.

Loads of mail at house Royal Mail redirection had failed so annoyed lodged complaint against them. Should be sorted soon or I'll really loose it with them.

Cheque for total vet bill so really happy about that helped the current account which was down to £60. Must try to manage on £1000 until pay day in two weeks as I don't want to plunder my ISA.

Signed up for pension at work and went to take probate forms to probate office only to discover I had forgotten the death certificate. Very stupid so going again tomorrow luckily it's not far from work.

Once that's done only thing really outstanding is:
    - pay for carpets
    - phone friend and ask him to fix light back in ceiling and arrange to pay for work already done

Lawn is growing like mad so will need to go down again in a couple of weeks. Will need final clean my cleaner is no good and the curtains aren't hung very well.

Brother in law coming over next week hopefully meet up he will want to know what I want to do about business oh the joys.

Work a bit frustrating want to be able to get more up to speed but I'm not still not sorted chair or desk out so annoying.

Early night feel really grumpy so for the best.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Forumite
    Paid for carpets, booked my old window cleaner to do the Windows inside and out plus fascias so should now be complete bar calling my friend to put light up.

Hopefully window cleaner will get it done Thursday. Another tenant around today without the wife but they are keen so are the one yesterday but resident status could be an issue.

Had meeting with CEO today not sure really he's nice but I miss my old one he's very business like not human at all like he wants all the answers already which I don't have. Got my desk raised just need chair brought in but hopefully Thursday.

Handed probate forms in should be ten working days hopefully quick to get the oath sworn then done and I can apply for second pension as first one is on hold until final death certificate.

Spending wise expensive this week due to probate £218 and carpets £437 but at least I had pet insurance claim though but it does take my credit card back up but ten days to payday not too bad should get almost a full month.

Again an early night DG was up at six and I didn't go back to sleep not good and didn't do gym tonight which was poor as I had booked. Will try to go to one near work on Thursday straight after work meeting friend from old work I haven't seen in ages she went in maternity leave in April but baby was stillborn. Will be good to catch up saw her in the street today so had quick catch up.

Hope everyone is well not many posts on the MFW board at the moment maybe it's the colder weather that's zapping everyone's energy.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Forumite
    Morning DG had her alarm go off at 4am not impressed she's just left so going back to sleep soon.

Disaster with the new upgrade to fibre doesn't work and they won't send engineer and even if they would it's a months wait. Speaking to them this morning final time then cancelling as new housemate who lives in room with all the phone sockets has agreed to set up his sky account. They should let me cancel as it doesn't work but even if we get sky it's two weeks without any internet not good.

Work ok got my own chair in now and raised desk so no back problems hopefully. Going to be a busy week next week got to do some stats but getting to grips with things and everyone are really nice.

Got carpets paid for and got my old window cleaner to come in and do Windows and outside bits so just need to pay him. That should now be final major bill as my credit card is now back up so £2000+ but payday is 1 week away. Still not spoken to friend need to do that

Speak to friend get him to fit light and lock on loft hatch

Estate agent has shown two people around but one it was too small the other might not have right to work in uk so not going with him. He says he's got more interest but nothing as yet. Rent is £1350 so a lot but not a lot else to rent in that area right now. Would be nice to get an income soon.

Also need to phone Royal Mail redirection still no mail at my address but don't know if any is at old house. It's a week now should have had some mail.

Going to make some calls re ex dh and also sort my clothes out so the summer stuff can be put away.

So nice to have a day off really enjoying my four day week.

Also need to go to lidl only fair as DG has been going in early most of the week and it's so busy Saturday and Sunday's at that shop. Golf practise tonight and chilling. So sad no internet but managed to watch GBBOFF last night on 4g by downloading it. I have 20gb data on my phone due to having Ee broadband well that will go but for now I have it.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• Just catching up with you TallGirl, I remember your original diary, you have been through a lot but they look very bright now. I am also starting the BTL journey so will be reading keenly!
    Mortgage Apr 18 £417,894 BTL Mar 18 £162,857
    Mortgage now -- £353,106 BTL now --- £163,071
  • TallGirl
    Forumite
    edited 7 October 2016 at 2:31PM
    Wow Floppydisk thanks for popping by glad you're dipping the toe in the water too do you have a diary?

Spent two hours on the phone to EE after being cut off and other hassle I think the issue is that they sent an out of date router as they had run out. Not happy but even more unhappy with them as they refused to help any more as the new guy here has told Sky he wants to take over the number and this is set for the 20/10. I don't mind but so fed up I just wanted to cancel but the cancellation team was quite nice and they are sending a proper router out I will get mid next week. If that work I can stop Sky if not I can still cancel and be ok. So fed up with no internet but got loads of data on my phone which will stop if EE broadband goes.

Shopping done for DG and me £70 in Lidl should last two weeks so not bad. Paid all my bills left with some cash and £100 to last me until payday Friday. Have got £1200 credit card bill but £400 is % and the rest I should be able cover with wages.

DG is on her way back from court were going to hit some golf balls then have a chilled out evening drinking low alcohol beer and much later vodka and coke.

Oh and finally someone stole two of my four garden chairs from a cube rattan set I have really irritating. I think it's a homeless person as two brollies also went complete with heavy feet and why not nick the whole table if you wanted to flog it. Hopefully I can get replacements as I like the set.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Forumite
    Lovely weekend went far too quickly mostly chilling and golf so all good.

Met ex bil and sil they paid for dinner at favourite restaurant nice. Not greedy money grabbing talk so that was good two potential buyers for the business one which is a pair of scumbags that stole my ex dh business from him after he set them up in business so would rather not them but money is money. No mention of premises so I didn't mention it either they can't actually sell them anyway as they are in dh name.

Bit of a boring day at work an induction course but not very interactive just listening to a load of stuff.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Forumite
    Fab day out at the golf free with Sky tickets £33.50 saved each but travel was £10 each and food drink about £15 but well worth it if very cold.

House not rented so dropped price by £50 hopefully soon going down to empty the last 21/10 should be last time if tenants or I shall have to go down regularly to do the lawn.

Mail seems to be redirected now finally hopefully will hear from probate soon and I can claim the one pension. Payday tomorrow still £300 in current account but £1500 on cc so will clear as much as I can. Trip to Denmark next month but should be cheap as I have kroner over there. Also need to book flight for Denmark for Christmas.

Still no internet EE never sent the promised router and the one they did send was faulty such shoddy service I raised a complaint. So now for three going one with Royal Mail and Santander as well but letter might be at house about that one.

So tired bed soon and work tomorrow DG will be home her mum is coming to visit for the first time she's been here 10 month so hopefully will be good she's staying over as well.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure