Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ajmoney
    • By ajmoney 5th Aug 16, 9:50 AM
    • 5,188Posts
    • 57,084Thanks
    ajmoney
    Project Mortgage Neutral Begins
    • 5th Aug 16, 9:50 AM
    Project Mortgage Neutral Begins 5th Aug 16 at 9:50 AM
    Hi. We have just remortgaged on our larger product and while mortgage freedom is still the ultimate goal I am working on the smaller challenge of mortgage neutral first.

We have a smaller mortgage that we transferred when we moved 5 years ago and a larger mortgage that topped it up.

Mortgage 1

Total 32097.21
    Interest 2.68%
    Redemption Date Februray 2030
    This is a tracker mortgage, we are not tied into anything but the deal is so good that unless things change substantially I don't intend to change this.

Mortgage 2

Total 103615.51
    Interest 1.74%
    Redemption Date February 2030
    This a tracker mortgage too with the current deal ending in August 2018.

First and foremost I want to get rid of the larger mortgage even though it has the lower interest rate as it is the biggest debt and is the one product we have that could be a struggle if we ever got stupid interest rates.

We are due to hit mortgage neutral in July 2021. This is worked out with all our mortgage rates staying the same and not receiving any interest on our savings. I am hoping the fluctuations in these will even each other out.

While Mr AJM is happy to reach mortgage neutral, mortgage free and therefore retire early this a solo journey with it all being my effort. We haven't changed our lifestyle at all so there are always other things we can do but this is not so important to us at the moment.

I will add more as the next few days go by. Recently I have been guilty of ignoring my thread but I am hoping starting a new thread will get me on here a little bit more.
    2019 MFW No. 70 3941.74/4000
    MFiT-T5 No. 70 2704.01/27506.08
Page 24
    • CathT
    • By CathT 26th Apr 19, 5:47 AM
    • 6,213 Posts
    • 43,192 Thanks
    CathT
    Good luck for today.
    Oct 2019 - part 1 - 66,785 part 2 - 42,678
    Total - 109,463 97 months to go!
    • SuperSecretSquirrel
    • By SuperSecretSquirrel 26th Apr 19, 7:14 AM
    • 748 Posts
    • 3,309 Thanks
    SuperSecretSquirrel
    Happy moving day!
    Mortgage free at 35. Aiming for FIRE.
    MFiT-T5: (9/36): 48.1%
    SelfFI (Exc SP): 72.5%
    TeamFI (Exc SP): 40.6% (2013 -1%, 2014 3%, 2015 7%, 2016 13%, 2017 18%, 2018 32%)

• ajmoney
    • By ajmoney 26th Apr 19, 6:46 PM
    • 5,188 Posts
    • 57,084 Thanks
    ajmoney
    It has been an emotional day to say the least with many tears from me this morning. It was made tough over lunch when Mr AJM said he wasn't sure why all this was happening. The removals got me in by about 3.30 and my house doesn't look too bad. Mr AJM popped round to help me put my bed together and have a look around and I have been to see his. It was very awkward saying goodbye when he dropped me back but I am having pizza in a very quiet house as I can't work out the TV aerial, I am a bit of a technophobe! Going to clean the bathroom, sort my clothes for tomorrow and then maybe have an early night.
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 27th Apr 19, 8:47 AM
    • 11,530 Posts
    • 61,649 Thanks
    edinburgher
    That sounds tough AJM - it doesn't sound like Mr AJM made it any easier, but it's a stressful time for both of you so I think you can make allowances?

Dodgy group hugs and listening ears all round - today is a new chapter and your MFW crew are excited for you
    • ajmoney
    • By ajmoney 27th Apr 19, 3:48 PM
    • 5,188 Posts
    • 57,084 Thanks
    ajmoney
    Just about all the kitchen boxes are empty but I haven't got a clue where to put anything. Also wondering if I am going a bit over the top washing everything before I put it away! Either way it will all be away tonight which will just leave me with the cooker/hob/hood and floor to clean in there. I am making good progress and everywhere apart from the small bedroom will be sorted by the time my leave finishes in 11 days. My mum and dad are visiting in 3 weeks so while I don't want to put too much pressure on myself I am going to get as much done as I can before they arrive.

I took this morning out of sorting to go to parkrun and tomorrow I am going for a walk to explore during the afternoon. I have to wait in for $ky on Monday morning so will have plenty of time to do stuff then.
    • ajmoney
    • By ajmoney 29th Apr 19, 5:04 AM
    • 5,188 Posts
    • 57,084 Thanks
    ajmoney
    I didn't finish the kitchen until yesterday morning and stopped washing a lot of stuff I will get to the oven and cooker hood later. My bedroom, dining room and all the bathroom stuff is now away and organised. Today's job is to clean the porch which shouldn't take long and try and empty all the boxes in the living room. There are only four, most of which I think are books, games and cd's so should be fairly painless. I have a 2 hour window to wait for the $ky engineer so can get a lot done then.

Broadband goes live today so I can catch up on my financial admin a little easier today. I have already been keeping an eye on the daily interest, it is a little frustrating that my two old mortgages are also still being charged interest but I'm sure it will all clear in a couple of days. I am impressed to realise that without too much of a financial burden I will be able to keep the same MFiT target of 80k even though my mortgage has jumped up by 10k

If today's plan works I will just have the 2 spare rooms to organise and then I can make a start on the garage, shed and garden.
    • ajmoney
    • By ajmoney 29th Apr 19, 8:23 AM
    • 5,188 Posts
    • 57,084 Thanks
    ajmoney
    $ky man arrived early he is going to test which of my many phone sockets is the correct/main one so I can set my broadband up once he has gone.

I have all the living room boxes open and am ready to put everything in its new home once he has left. At this rate I may get the 2nd bedroom sorted today too :J I'm so glad I don't have loads of stuff
    • ajmoney
    • By ajmoney 2nd May 19, 2:07 PM
    • 5,188 Posts
    • 57,084 Thanks
    ajmoney
    Back from a couple of days away visiting my old work and friends there whilst doing some walk training in the hills for a charity walk that I am doing at the end of next week.

I think this may be when things start to be a little tough as I no longer have that to look forward to (although I am back over for a course in 2 weeks time) and the easy stuff has been unpacked. I think I am going to need to come up with a bit of a plan, sorting house stuff vs having my own life for the rest of my leave. I need to chase a couple of things up at the bank tomorrow as they took payments for our old mortgages that have disappeared from online banking and none for my new mortgage even though I was expecting the first payment to be on 1st May. I still have some financial things to deal with although I think I need Mr AJM here for some of them so might see if he is able to pop in after work tomorrow. Hopefully once everything has been cancelled/swapped/updated I will know what financial position I should be in each month.

The remaining money from the sale of the house has been put into our accounts today so it gives me the chance to start looking into the repairs that the home report flagged up. I intend to use this surplus money for those and on redecoration work but unsure where to keep the money in the meantime, I know if I leave it in my current account it may disappear!!!

Tomorrow's plan
    Go to bank
    Finish unpacking living room (it didn't quite happen yesterday)
    Make a rough meal plan for the rest of the week then food shopping
    Collect stuff from temporary room I had at work ready to give it back next week
    Depending on the weather cut the grass
    Get quote for roof repairs
    Get quote for new garage door

Weekend plan
    Clean the inside of my car
    Finish emptying remaining boxes that removals need back
    At least 1 hour walk a day
    Short bursts of sorting out 2 spare rooms
    Sure there will be far more than this but this should hold me accountable.

I need a bit of inspiration when it comes to meal planning so may sit with my cookery books to come up with some ideas, I am sick of eating the same things all the time.
    • ajmoney
    • By ajmoney 3rd May 19, 7:27 AM
    • 5,188 Posts
    • 57,084 Thanks
    ajmoney
    Food shopping...how often do you guys go? I have made a meal plan up until the end of next week but I guess I will need to do another shop on Monday to get more fresh veg and fruit etc. I am keen to minimise my spends where possible so am just wondering how the rest of you do this.
    • juliejim
    • By juliejim 4th May 19, 4:54 PM
    • 7,681 Posts
    • 152,566 Thanks
    juliejim
    I tend to shop weekly but there is 4 of us and a dog. I've also shopped fortnightly in the past but then needed top up shops. I normally only have to get bread if I shop weekly.

Hope you have some fun time in the rest of your leave too.

Jue
    NST #10 Steps 7K 2/30 10K 2/12 5 a day 3/30 NSD 0/20
    MBNA 5500
    • ajmoney
    • By ajmoney 4th May 19, 6:40 PM
    • 5,188 Posts
    • 57,084 Thanks
    ajmoney
    I tend to shop weekly but there is 4 of us and a dog. I've also shopped fortnightly in the past but then needed top up shops. I normally only have to get bread if I shop weekly.
    Originally posted by juliejim
    Do you find fresh fruit and veg lasts that long? I never used to worry when I was a student but Mr AJM had a thing about buying fresh every few days and it seems to have stuck!
    I have made quite a bit of a dent in my smallest bedroom today. I realised I was doing things the wrong way round and needed to sort out in there before I could do anything else. I have a new list of things to do tomorrow in a specific order so I can finish that room and possibly both spare rooms tomorrow. Then it is just the garage/shed to sort out...I confess the idea of spiders is putting me off
    Remember when I got a little frustrated about suggesting to Mr AJM he took an extra 10k from the sale of the house? It turns out that once the proceeds were split and our own costs and deposits were taken out of our individual totals I have come away with a bigger amount, in fact he wouldn't have had enough left to cover all his costs if we had split equally.
    • ajmoney
    • By ajmoney 5th May 19, 11:11 AM
    • 5,188 Posts
    • 57,084 Thanks
    ajmoney
    I have pretty much sorted my smallest bedroom now. I have a pile of stuff to go up into the loft and need to decide what to do with the dismantled wardrobe that is in there but otherwise it is done. Now all I have to do is finish the main spare bedroom, sort out all the stuff I moved into the living room so it annoys me until it is done and the garage/shed

Cup of tea first, tip run to keep on top of things and then decide what to do next. 2 and a half days until I am back at work and I am attempting it all...
    • ajmoney
    • By ajmoney 5th May 19, 3:21 PM
    • 5,188 Posts
    • 57,084 Thanks
    ajmoney
    I want my lovely integrated garage back, I can't cope with the level of spiders nests and cobwebs in my new one. I have given up for the day and will attempt it again on a day when I feel a bit more brave or wait for my mum and dad to help me which was the original plan. This does mean that I will need to spend the rest of the day sorting the things in the house which really shouldn't take me too long.

Grass cut, path and patio swept. I am making good progress with my list.
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 6th May 19, 10:19 AM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 7,050 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    best wishes with settling in and spiders
    Mortgage restart June 2018 119950
    Re mortgage August 19 110470, HSBC 3850cc, Hfx 6800, NW 5840 M&S 1250, car 5500.
    CC 17740 , it's coming down
    • ajmoney
    • By ajmoney 6th May 19, 10:53 AM
    • 5,188 Posts
    • 57,084 Thanks
    ajmoney
    Living room and main spare room done so all rooms in the house are now as they should be. Mr AJM is coming round tomorrow evening to help me put the stuff in the loft, I have a few sets of bedding and curtains that need to be stored somewhere so once I have seen what it is like up there I can work out where they are going.

I have someone coming round in an hour to give me a quote for my roof/guttering to get sorted and then I will tackle some of the smaller normal jobs.

Other than maybe a quick clean around the house I am intending on taking tomorrow off from house stuff as I am just about there (deciding to ignore the garage and shed), it is my last day of leave so I am going to go out for a walk and get some lunch somewhere. It will be good to get back to work and get some normality back to everything. I live far enough away that where possible I will no longer be going into work on my days off, I will just have to go in earlier or leave later but I need to have some control over this or living by myself it will be too easy to do.

I have an ultra walk (37.51) miles on Saturday so will be away for the weekend. Once that is over I am looking forward to spending my days off out and about and doing things or pottering about in my garden learning what things are and what I need to do with them. I need to remember why I made this change and do the things I want to do.
    • ajmoney
    • By ajmoney 7th May 19, 9:41 AM
    • 5,188 Posts
    • 57,084 Thanks
    ajmoney
    The best thing I have found so far about living in a bungalow...if I plug the vacuum cleaner in the hall or living room it stretches around the whole of the house There are a few bungalows on the market near me so I have been having a look to try and get some inspiration for decor, unfortunately most are the same as this and have been owned by older folk so all need a bit of TLC. I did see one that was wonderfully modern inside which has led me to think about floor coverings in here when I get to it. What are people's thought with carpet vs laminate? I know I am decorating to live in it and not sell but it is always a consideration down the line, I am definitely a carpet person and if I was putting laminate down I would have rugs which seems to defeat the purpose.

I have also been coming up with ideas for my garden, or rather they popped into my head today so I have changed where I am walking to for my lunch and am heading towards a garden centre instead. I still intend for my mum to help me cut back and tidy but I have spied a flower bed that would make a nice rockery and may inspire me to do more, after all if all I do is tidy I may never get to the planting stage as it will be never ending!
    • ajmoney
    • By ajmoney 7th May 19, 3:45 PM
    • 5,188 Posts
    • 57,084 Thanks
    ajmoney
    I feel a visit to the bank coming on or a call to the mortgage team if I can't make it down which is highly likely. I op'd 200 on the 1st and when I have looked at my online banking it says my current total overpayment is 146.91...a little bit of a difference!
    • juliejim
    • By juliejim 8th May 19, 5:08 PM
    • 7,681 Posts
    • 152,566 Thanks
    juliejim
    I prefer carpet apart from kitchen and bathroom, however my cousin has laminate throughout her downstairs with rugs which looks nice. I would always have carpet in the bedrooms though I think.

Re fruit and veg - apart from stuff like strawberries then I've never had a problem with fruit and veg lasting at least a week if not more.

Sounds like you are getting there with everything. I would help you with the spiders if I was closer.

Jue
    NST #10 Steps 7K 2/30 10K 2/12 5 a day 3/30 NSD 0/20
    MBNA 5500
    • ajmoney
    • By ajmoney 19th May 19, 12:24 PM
    • 5,188 Posts
    • 57,084 Thanks
    ajmoney
    Weather has been rubbish so mum and I didn't make it into the garden apart from for us to have a little walk and chat about what is here. I am thinking this may be a little better, they are coming back for a visit in 4 weeks time so I will try and do some things by myself in that time. I have a lot of shrubs/bushes and I don't really know what they are or what I should do with them, are there any good webistes/books etc I can look at to see what they are? It needs to be in simple speak as I always feel a little overwhelmed when it comes to gardening but at 40 years old I don't want to rely on my mum, the more I can do from a pruning and tidying point of view the more fun stuff we can do out there on her next visit.
    I have spent 30 minutes raking leaves today and the garden bin is just about full so I will have to wait until it has been emptied this week or keep going and but them in bags for the tip. Part of me wants to keep going while I have the enthusiasm for it.
    • ajmoney
    • By ajmoney 24th May 19, 3:18 PM
    • 5,188 Posts
    • 57,084 Thanks
    ajmoney
    I can't believe I have been in the house for 4 weeks already. I still haven't touched the 2 boxes in the garage but am not in too much of a rush. I needed my pop up garden tidy bin and gardening gloves but have probably just made my life easier by buying a garden blower/vac, mybe it is an extravagance but I have a lot of trees in my garden and I have no idea hw many years worth of leaves I am currently getting up, it will make the job easier come the autumn and give me more time to tend to my garden as it develops. Off out to pick it up soon.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

276Posts Today

4,767Users online

Martin's Twitter