Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 13th Jul 16, 3:30 PM
    • 1,543Posts
    • 4,191Thanks
    zcrat41
    ZC's Aim for a little independence
    • 13th Jul 16, 3:30 PM
    ZC's Aim for a little independence 13th Jul 16 at 3:30 PM
    Hello.

I've been a regular on MSE for a long long time and have been a follower of many fabulous diaries on here. I've been thinking for a while that it would help me to have a diary as I do spend quite a lot of unnecessary money. Don't expect anyone to read - it's to help me!

So, DH and I are lucky enough that our family house is mortgage free. I had a house before I met him which is the mortgage that I want to pay off. The house is rented out. Here's the financials:

Amount remaining: 67186.98
    Term remaining: 18.5 years
    Monthly repayment: 429.91 (somewhere around 4.8%) fixed in for 4 more years.
    I started with 81 000 6.5 years ago. I've made the odd o/p of 100 pounds here and there but with 2 mat leaves in this 6.5 years I've not got very far.

The rent I get is 575 pcm. I put the excess in an account to cover tax and repairs etc.

DH and I live out of our joint account that we contribute equally too for our day to day spends. It covers all our essential bills and essential living costs. I.e. it would cover jeans for day to day work but not a fancy dress that I want but don't need.

We then have our separate accounts where my excess salary goes and pays for the fancy dress that I don't need. My aim is to use as much of this as possible to overpay the mortgage. I tend to buy unnecessary stuff out of my own account. It's easy to get lax in the joint account to so I tend to sub it if I need to.

I'm aiming to start off with o/p by 80 pcm. This would pay off the mortgage 3 years and 9 months earlier. I hope to increase this significantly as my income increases as my children get older.

The reason I call this my independence diary is that both DH and I run family businesses' and our finances are very joint with parents. DH is extremely tight - which is a good thing most of the time as it's how he runs a good business. I want a little fund though so that if I want to go on a spa trip or a cruise I can! We both currently work hard and don't take much time off though and my salary is the one that pays for the nice little extras so I need to have a balance between o/p and nice experiences/things.

I'm not sure whether to save with a First Direct regular saver at 6% or just straight pay off the mortgage.
Page 9
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 15th Oct 18, 1:57 PM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 4,191 Thanks
    zcrat41
    Hello to the visitors and welcome!

couldsavemore - ds has two weeks off! The swim sounds amazing if not a little cold!

Eager learner - we get stuff for the farm for cash and carry so its easy to get a few bits for the house as well. To be honest most stuff isn't cheaper than when it's on offer in the supermarket. The only things o get that are definitely cheaper are massive tubs of spices and coffee. Otherwise it's more convenience than anything. Eg you can get huuuuge puddings that are great for parties. I wouldn't make a special visit unless I had stuff to get for the farm too. Wow your grocery spend is low. I cant get it below 320 and that's at a real push!

Still got this cold, getting so fed up now. On the bright side though I managed to get ds to eat "get well soup" aka lentil and garlic!!
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 17th Oct 18, 7:43 PM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 4,191 Thanks
    zcrat41
    Right. This is ridiculous. I've had this cold for two weeks now and it's really grinding me down. What can I do to get rid? I think it might have moved onto sinusitis.

Had to pop into a few shops today and bought wrapping paper and birthday cards. All def needed. If I wasn't using martins money mantra today I would also have bought:
    Socks for the children
    2 outfits for ds
    Pjs for me
    Xmas gifts for children

As I don't "need" any of them I came back with nada. Well, I spent 5 on a cheap ring but I've been meaning to do that for ages. I fiddle with my rings a lot and I don't want to lose my wedding ring!
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 18th Oct 18, 8:15 AM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 4,191 Thanks
    zcrat41
    And this morning I've lost the ring!!
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 21st Oct 18, 5:47 PM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 4,191 Thanks
    zcrat41
    Evening all.

Quite a low spend weekend here. Resisted the lure of a meal out today and had a homemade curry instead. Feel healthier for it and didn't spend 60 odd quid.

I've been thinking a lot about how consumer driven we are. I keep thinking I could spend the 131 a month overpaying and have nicer clothes or more spa treatments or buy the kids fancier clothes. But none of those things make me happy. I had a Boden voucher for 10 off a 30 spend today. In the past I'd have just bought something as it was a good deal but as my kids don't need anything it went in the bin.

We've had two kids parties this weekend. Neither of them were particularly overboard but they must have cost 400 when you add hall hire, fancy cake,
    Face painter and bouncy castle. I'm now feeling guiltu that ds is only having grandparents for a tea party on his birthday next week. We will do one big party for reception year like we did for his sister but I just don't think It's worth it.

About to light the fire and stick a film on!
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 26th Oct 18, 12:48 PM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 4,191 Thanks
    zcrat41
    Hello all.

So even with just grandparents for a tea party it's costing 50 for DS's birthday. That's just for a cake and a nice sandwich tea. I don't resent spending it at all it's just quite surprising how children drain money from you!

So my regular saver matured with 80 interest paid which I'm chuffed about. I've opened up another straight away. That's like a days work for me for just setting up an account to dripfeed in money I save for stuff throughout the year.

Had a lovely day trip yesterday to our local cathedral. Loads to do for the children and all free. Had lunch at Wildwood with a 30% off voucher which was a bit of a treat.

Hopefully it should be a low spend weekend. I need to get back out running and try and tidy up the garden. Then it's getting ready for back to school next week.

Have a good weekend all.
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 12th May 19, 6:24 AM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 4,191 Thanks
    zcrat41
    Hello all.
    So it's aaaaggggeeees since I've posted on here. Things are going well. I've managed to save up 1000 to put into the mortgage. I haven't actually rang up and done it yet but it's sitting there waiting to go.

The hesitation is that at the moment we are having a bit of a tough time. Family member is ill, DS is struggling at school and work is beyond hectic. When work is this tough we'd normally have a holiday. However, we are borrowing a lot to expand at the moment so our family financial mindset is to pay that back asap and not to have holidays etc whilst that is tough. 2-3 years should be enough before we change that. So my 1k is like my little back up for if things get too much we can have a weekend away or a few meals our or pay for a gardener. We're coping at the moment without it but we'll see.

On the bright side I have got a new car! My old one died so I had to get a new one. I've gone small so I can park in the school car park - a Ford Fiesta. I LOVE it. Have spent a fortune buying rubber mats and car seat covers but think that's worth it in the long run.

How is everyone?
    • Miss Money Magnet
    • By Miss Money Magnet 12th May 19, 7:17 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 430 Thanks
    Miss Money Magnet
    Well done on your achievements so far! You are doing really well
    "Never underestimate the power of small amounts"
    New Mortgage started March 17 236,000 (28 years) NOW 231,500 March 3 18. 68% LTV.
    Nov 18 226000 63% ltv. May 19 221,100
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 17th May 19, 6:48 PM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 4,191 Thanks
    zcrat41
    Hello all.
    I'm going to try and get into the habit of posting here again more often.

Stressful day at work today but didn't succumb to the 3pm dominos offer text!! Made the Pinch of Nom Cuban Beef. It was delicious, easy and healthy. Bunged all the ingredients in last night and whacked in the slow cooker this morning.

Dd is doing All stars cricket tonight which she loves. 40 for 10 weeks - bargain.

Also trying to lose half a stone so I fit into all my summer clothes. Have done mfp today & kept within Calories.

Should be a cheap weekend. DD has a party, it's the school fair and I have a friends birthday tomorrow night. It's drinks at their house and I already have a bottle to bring!

Sunday will just be Church & pottering in the garden hopefully.

Have a good weekend all
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 19th May 19, 5:34 PM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 4,191 Thanks
    zcrat41
    Evening all.

So DD loves All Stars. I'm so impressed with how it's run.

Saturday night I forgot the bottle I already had so had to do an expensive M&S pit stop for wine & card which is a bit annoying.

Lovely day today just pootling about getting the garden today.

Had PinCh of Nom chicken parmigiana. Absolute family winner that will be making a regular appearance chez
    ZC I think!!

Will be a tight 12 days now. I have 76 in the grocery budget to last. I really don't want to have to steal from another ynab category so will be eeeeeking the freezer as much as I can. We also have 4 days away in our caravan which will add to the challenge!

Have a good week all.
    • mumof3.12kindebt
    • By mumof3.12kindebt 20th May 19, 3:09 PM
    • 588 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    mumof3.12kindebt
    Well done on everything you have achieved so far.
    Will be following your diary
    June 2017 16000 debt
    Sept 2018 Loan paid off
    Nov 2018 DEBT FREE
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 22nd May 19, 5:07 AM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 4,191 Thanks
    zcrat41
    Morning all. So ended up rejigging the budget as was struggling to do a shop for 76 for 10 days. We haven't rated out at all this month so I moved half the money to grocery meaning the grocery budget was looking
    A little healthier!

Just looking at reading books for dd over the summer. Anyone know a cheap wash of getting oxford reading tree level 7's? They're 45 for 6 on amazon! We will be going to the library weekly but we're in such a good routine with reading a book a day from school I really want to carry that on.
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 26th May 19, 11:40 AM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 4,191 Thanks
    zcrat41
    Afternoon all. So it turns out our next town has a bigger library with a great set of reading books. It's such a shame they're closing them left right and centre round here.

It's been a low spend couple of days. Just the annual parking pass for our nature reserve. 45 but I'm there once a week for a run and once a fortnight with the kids.

Have a good weekend all
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 30th May 19, 6:53 PM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 4,191 Thanks
    zcrat41
    Evening all.

So our few days away in the caravan were a great success. We had packed lunches and easy evening meals in the van so good value.

We did spend a fortune going to We the Curious in Bristol but oh my it was worth it. What a fabulous place! So much to see and do.

Highlight of the week for me was seeing Take That. Just made me feel 15 again singing along to Babe! LOVED THEM!!

looking forwards to June starting. Hoping to have a very frugal month so I can start the summer hols in a strong position.

Night all.
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 1st Jun 19, 5:57 AM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 4,191 Thanks
    zcrat41
    Morning all. I love a new month when it rolls around. It's like a fresh start. I'm a big YNAB fan so like to have an early Saturday morning play with the numbers. June is a fairly short month. Going to try and store up in the childcare category ready for the summer hols. Means the food budget is a bit tight. I've got enough food till next Tuesday then have 300 to spend. There's 4 of us. Kids have hot school dinners but we eat all 3 meals at home.

I've got a stinking cold so not much planned this weekend. Got to go church cleaning this morning and will probably take the kids swimming today and for a bike ride tomorrow. DS has just learnt to pedal by himself so no more doing my back in!

Have a good weekend all.
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 2nd Jun 19, 3:15 PM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 4,191 Thanks
    zcrat41
    Afternoon all. Had a stinking cold all weekend so just had a quiet one. Hate a summer cold, it feels wrong to want to snuggle up on the sofa in such a nice day!

NSD yesterday. Only 3 at church today. Made a nice new recipe, salmon egg fried rice and there is plenty for leftovers tomorrow.

Have a lovely Sunday all
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 4th Jun 19, 6:47 PM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 4,191 Thanks
    zcrat41
    Evening all.

Have noticed holes in my shoes today so need to go shoe shopping. I like a trusty blue converse for day to day but they don't even seem to last a year. Any better suggestions at all?
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 7th Jun 19, 2:53 PM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 4,191 Thanks
    zcrat41
    Afternoon. Bought myself some new converse this week. I did resist the beautiful leather version at 150 though!!

Absolutely pouring with rain here. That'll be a fun weekend with the kids then! Hopefully messy church and swimming will keep them busy.

Dh has bough a bike rack for his car that we'll go and pick up tomorrow. He's paid for it from his funds but we get a free national trust family day. That'll come in useful in the summer hols!
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 9th Jun 19, 5:42 AM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 4,191 Thanks
    zcrat41
    Morning all. What horrible rain we had here yesterday! Morning spent batch cooking a big chilli and homework then shopping and messy church in the afternoon.

Picked up some school shirts in the M&S 20% off uniform sale and got fathers fay cards. Also picked up DH 2 tops in the joules sale reduced to half price. All within ynab budgets so pleased with that.

Hopefully the rain will stay away today so we can get out in the garden.
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 9th Jun 19, 12:33 PM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 4,191 Thanks
    zcrat41
    Help please people! I'm on a batch cooking mission today. Have done a fish pie and muffins for the freezer. I want to get ahead for harvest and want to freeze meals. So far I have on my list:

More fish pie
    Chilli
    Spag Bol
    Cuban beef
    Mince

More muffins

I need some more ideas that aren't mince based!!

Also biscuity/flapjacks/cakey things that are healthy that could bulk up a picnic.

I'm also hoping to freeze sandwiches but not sure which ones?
    Ham and butter?
    Cheese and butter?

Any suggestions/experiences greatly welcome please!
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 10th Jun 19, 5:31 AM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 4,191 Thanks
    zcrat41
    Morning all. Just had the loveliest day yesterday pottering about at home in the garden, letting the kids chill with a bit too much telly, baking and reading. We're always so busy we don't have days like that very often. Good for the soul it was!!

Glad I got out in the garden yesterday as the weather looks awful this week. Rain, rain and more rain.

Work this morning for me then my haircut. Have a good day all.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

9Posts Today

4,037Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin