Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 13th Jul 16, 3:30 PM
    • 1,548Posts
    • 4,196Thanks
    zcrat41
    ZC's Aim for a little independence
    • 13th Jul 16, 3:30 PM
    ZC's Aim for a little independence 13th Jul 16 at 3:30 PM
    Hello.

I've been a regular on MSE for a long long time and have been a follower of many fabulous diaries on here. I've been thinking for a while that it would help me to have a diary as I do spend quite a lot of unnecessary money. Don't expect anyone to read - it's to help me!

So, DH and I are lucky enough that our family house is mortgage free. I had a house before I met him which is the mortgage that I want to pay off. The house is rented out. Here's the financials:

Amount remaining: 67186.98
    Term remaining: 18.5 years
    Monthly repayment: 429.91 (somewhere around 4.8%) fixed in for 4 more years.
    I started with 81 000 6.5 years ago. I've made the odd o/p of 100 pounds here and there but with 2 mat leaves in this 6.5 years I've not got very far.

The rent I get is 575 pcm. I put the excess in an account to cover tax and repairs etc.

DH and I live out of our joint account that we contribute equally too for our day to day spends. It covers all our essential bills and essential living costs. I.e. it would cover jeans for day to day work but not a fancy dress that I want but don't need.

We then have our separate accounts where my excess salary goes and pays for the fancy dress that I don't need. My aim is to use as much of this as possible to overpay the mortgage. I tend to buy unnecessary stuff out of my own account. It's easy to get lax in the joint account to so I tend to sub it if I need to.

I'm aiming to start off with o/p by 80 pcm. This would pay off the mortgage 3 years and 9 months earlier. I hope to increase this significantly as my income increases as my children get older.

The reason I call this my independence diary is that both DH and I run family businesses' and our finances are very joint with parents. DH is extremely tight - which is a good thing most of the time as it's how he runs a good business. I want a little fund though so that if I want to go on a spa trip or a cruise I can! We both currently work hard and don't take much time off though and my salary is the one that pays for the nice little extras so I need to have a balance between o/p and nice experiences/things.

I'm not sure whether to save with a First Direct regular saver at 6% or just straight pay off the mortgage.
Page 3
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 4th Aug 16, 5:55 AM
    • 1,548 Posts
    • 4,196 Thanks
    zcrat41
    We're mainly arable farmers miss C but we have some beef cattle too.

Lovely day at the beach yesterday. Spent 4.20 on ice creams and 5.00 on coffee & snack. Mum bought tea. Wish we lived by the sea - the kids had such a good time. Shattered today though as it was 5 hours driving for me. Quiet day today. Think we might just go to the park for a run around & catch up on chores after yesterday out.

Have a nice day everyone x
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 4th Aug 16, 8:12 AM
    • 1,548 Posts
    • 4,196 Thanks
    zcrat41
    So with a bit of quidco income and savings income this morning I'm up to 212.31 out of 277.30 of my monthly aim. 64.69 left to find. Not so sure if that's possible - it'll be down to ebay income etc.
    • MissCreative
    • By MissCreative 4th Aug 16, 8:42 AM
    • 89 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    MissCreative
    It's only the beginning of the month - I'm sure you will find 65 somewhere
    Have you tried doing surveys on Prolific Academic? I made 20 on there in about 9 or 10 days.
    Originally October 2042 // Goal December 2032
    Currently at 127,500

End of fix goal: 75,000 by September 2024
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 4th Aug 16, 12:23 PM
    • 1,548 Posts
    • 4,196 Thanks
    zcrat41
    Not tried prolific academic - have been doing one poll and Swagbucks. Might give it s try. Thanks
    • PennyJar
    • By PennyJar 4th Aug 16, 12:25 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 304 Thanks
    PennyJar
    Hey ZC/MC

I'm not having much joy on prolific...only one study so far...did sign up for pine cone research and did a survey, but still waiting for my reward...guess it must be my demographics are not what they are looking for.

Trying to up my income too - put two DD jackets on Ebay but they sold for a pitiful 99p each and the one jacket was 18 (worn once due to sizing ).

It's made my think buying DD clothes online may be an option - although I do like to buy new for her...

I'm also wondering whether to try some upcycling/selling pieces I find at carboots? Anyone given that a go yet...maybe I'll put that on my thread and see if anyone has some tips. I know you can make a fair bit if you know what your doing/what to look for.

PennyJar
    Last edited by PennyJar; 04-08-2016 at 12:28 PM.
    Debt Free - 2011 (15, 000) | MFiT - T4 #78 0/20,000 (Mortgage reduction target)
    Mortgage Free Goal - 2026 (101, 062) | #198 Emergency Fund Challenge 500/1000
    Massive fan - thank you for changing the game!
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 5th Aug 16, 2:07 PM
    • 1,548 Posts
    • 4,196 Thanks
    zcrat41
    Penny Jar - I've found I've had more luck with FB selling sites rather than fleabay.
    • PennyJar
    • By PennyJar 5th Aug 16, 9:44 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 304 Thanks
    PennyJar
    Thanks ZC I'll have a look into that :-)
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 8th Aug 16, 6:05 PM
    • 1,548 Posts
    • 4,196 Thanks
    zcrat41
    Evening all.

Had a semi successful shop this morning. Got loads of reduced ham for the freezer but DS was a NIGHTMARE in store. I swear the person who invented internet grocery shopping had a 3 year old.

My M&S account is now all set up and I've begun the switching process. It has been a fair bit of faff - as long as I get the 220 giftcard and 6% saver I reckon it'll just about be worth it.

Have a few things listed on fleabay - not having much luck with the flower girl outfit I'm selling. I've put it on at 30 but it does include a cardigan, pants, socks and possibly shoes. (Nappy pants, not real pants). Have made 12 on fb selling sites so getting closer to my target. I see that Swagbucks has a papal giftcard for 25 for 4999 points. I'm at 3200 already. Wonder if I can hit that for the end of the month. Only on 10 on one poll.

Have a nice evening everyone
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 10th Aug 16, 7:26 AM
    • 1,548 Posts
    • 4,196 Thanks
    zcrat41
    Morning all.

Well, with a bit of Quidco income & paypal income I'm down to having to find 44.62 for the rest of the month. Still got a few things on ebay so here's hoping.

Another busy day on the farm here so no time for spending!

Have a nice day everyone

ZC
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 11th Aug 16, 3:47 PM
    • 1,548 Posts
    • 4,196 Thanks
    zcrat41
    Afternoon all.

Quiet day today. Have done some Swagbucks surveys - I'm 482 away from a 25 Paypal giftcard. A dress of mine sold on fleabay for 8.00 so that'll all go towards the mortgage neutral fund. Dug out an old breastpump and listed it too. Was going to keep it for a few years but I'm definitely not having any more kids so why not sell!

So only 36 to find of the rest of this months fund. I'm hoping I can get the swagbucks and a few more ebay items to cover it off.

Have also today signed up my DD to gymnastics club. She's only 2 but watch out Beth Tweddle! Don't know the cost yet but I'm really pleased she got a spot. I've missed out for my DS and will have to wait till he's in school.

Am very tempted to pop to the shop and buy chocolate but need to try and resist for the wallet and the waistline. Feeling tired today so taking it easy which I feel bad about till I remember I'll be working all weekend once it dries up!

Hope everyone's having a nice day.
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 13th Aug 16, 9:10 AM
    • 1,548 Posts
    • 4,196 Thanks
    zcrat41
    Morning all.

Still a few pounds away from my target. Have completed a Swagbucks survey that was for 1500 points which would get me my 25. It will take a few weeks to come through though so I don't know if it'll make it in time for this month.

Signed up for something not very mse yesterday - a paper subscription. I grew up with the Daily Telegraph every day and I notice that I now read the news on my phone - I hate my children seeing that. I don't have time to pop to the shop everyday and a neighbour told me that she gets her paper delivered for 1 a week! So I've signed up. It's 1 a week for delivery and 39 a month. I get a 25 John Lewis giftcard which was an extra bonus. I was spending at least 8 a month on the sunday papers. I think it's a good habit for the children to see and get used to so worth the money. As they get (a lot) older hopefully it'll be a good conversation point.

Made some vegetable pasties this morning for work lunches. I was hoping they'd be healthy but they're a bit more pasty than vegetable!

Off to work in a minute - a long weekend of corn carting awaits!

Have a nice weekend everyone.
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 14th Aug 16, 5:30 AM
    • 1,548 Posts
    • 4,196 Thanks
    zcrat41
    Morning all.
    Been reading a few diaries this morning, I find this such an inspirational place. I frequent a big parenting website & there's a thread on there at the moment where someone is asking what sort of lifestyle should she be able to afford on 100k a year. The replies are shocking - there's a few Mse types Giving her advice but lots of people are saying stuff like "there's no point in stopping your daily coffee; it's only about 200 a month and that wouldn't come to much if you save it"!!!!

I think I used to be in that mindset - I'm so glad I found this place.

May do an unplanned spend today. I bought some Boden shorts at the beginning of the summer and I love them. I'd been thinking about getting a second pair. This morning I got a lovely 10 off voucher which as they're in the sale would make the shorts 11.46 rather than 40 full price!!!

I'm so looking forwards to this time next week when my Sunday lapses are going to be delivered. Had a lovely treat this morning. DS snuck into our bed in the middle of the night - he's been giggling in his sleep since, I think it's the cutest sound I've ever heard.

Hope everyone has a lovely Sunday.
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 15th Aug 16, 5:25 AM
    • 1,548 Posts
    • 4,196 Thanks
    zcrat41
    Morning all.

Lovely day yesterday. My brother visited and I LOVED seeing Max Whitlock get two golds. Kinda wish Louis Smith has got one though - think he would have done if he'd gone for his higher difficulty.

Only spent 2.50 on postage for 45 photos that an app I downloaded promises are free. If that's true then I'm so impressed. It really shows how my mindset is changing though - the same pics from photobox would have been near enough 20.

Have been looking at holidays. We want to go caravanning next June. We'd also love a winter sun holiday but they just seem to be so much more expensive than a June holiday to Cyprus say. And with a 2.5 year old and a 4 year old I'm worried about flight times! Any suggestions anyone?
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 15th Aug 16, 8:26 AM
    • 6,749 Posts
    • 46,854 Thanks
    newgirly
    Can't help with the holidays I'm afraid, we liked to take the kids to centre parcs which is still good in in winter as the pool complex is inside.

My advice is don't sell any baby related stuff, that's the point in which you are most likely to fall again
    MFW 21

72,866.48 left target 10k/ 6,133.52 in 2019
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 15th Aug 16, 1:29 PM
    • 1,548 Posts
    • 4,196 Thanks
    zcrat41
    I think another baby would break me Newgirly! I just feel like I'm coming out of a long tunnel now the kids are nearly 2 and 3.5. I found the last year really really hard. So maybe I'll keep the baby stuff

I've looked at centreparcs but it seems really expensive for what you get. We normally go to Crieff Hydro in the Winter which we love. Just this years Summer holiday was so good - we thought we could do our summer holiday in this country when the weather's better and go abroad when it's not.

Dead chuffed - just bought DH's 40th birthday gift from Wedgewood - they had 25% off which is highly unusual for them. I've been waiting for a good deal for about 8 months now!
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 16th Aug 16, 6:35 PM
    • 1,548 Posts
    • 4,196 Thanks
    zcrat41
    Evening all.

My barganious 11 ish Boden shorts arrived today and I'm chuffed with them.
    Been invited to join the Shop and Scan thing. Anyone here do it? Is it worth it?

Another sign of how my mindset is changing - I want a coffee machine - like you used to get in offices that does 10 cups of filter coffee. I love our kitchen/diner but when we have people over for a meal it gets so noisy with the kettle on. I've not bought one yet & everytime I look I'm finding cheaper and cheaper one's or coming up with vouchers towards it.

80p spend on sweets for the kiddos tonight as they sat so nicely and waited for me to finish work late. Other than that nothing.
    • PennyJar
    • By PennyJar 16th Aug 16, 8:11 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 304 Thanks
    PennyJar
    Hey ZC,

Glad you like your shorts...nice to have a treat now and again. I bought a 5 salt rock top today in the sales and a 7.50 50UV all in one wet suit for Babi as we are off to Cornwall for a week on Saturday (can't wait ).

Not done any shop/scans - but signed up to lots lately so don't think my brain could take much more lol still waiting to see whether I get accepted to become a mystery diner

We were lucky to have a Dolce Gusto machine bought us, but the coffee pods are dead expensive most places ( PoundStretchers do them for 3.48 for 8), it a lot cheaper than having Costa coffees all the time.

Let me know how you get on.

PennyJar
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 16th Aug 16, 8:37 PM
    • 6,749 Posts
    • 46,854 Thanks
    newgirly
    I did shop and scan a few years ago (neilson) and found it to be a lot of aggro for minimal reward, with kids to sort out at the same time usually it made putting stuff away much slower, I used to end up with it all over the hallway as I didn't have room,others may have had a better experience though!
    MFW 21

72,866.48 left target 10k/ 6,133.52 in 2019
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 17th Aug 16, 6:26 PM
    • 1,548 Posts
    • 4,196 Thanks
    zcrat41
    Thanks Newgirly. I'll give it a go I think and see how I get on. I'm a big fan of simplifying life where possible so it sounds like it might annoy me to!

Bit of a spendy day today. Had a last minute rush to pick up combine parts and as the small one's spent 3 hours in the car we stopped for a McDonalds ice cream. Also ended up spending 5 in the village shop on ingredients I should have in the store cupboard. Although it's annoying they would be nearer half that price in a Tesco's its a handy service to have so I don't really mind it.

Have a nice evening everyone x
    • MissCreative
    • By MissCreative 18th Aug 16, 8:40 AM
    • 89 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    MissCreative
    I'd be careful which coffee machine you buy if you do decide to get one. My in laws have a Nespresso and it's so loud! Louder than a kettle for sure.
    Youtube reviews of coffee machines will usually have a demo in them, so you can gauge how loud they are in those videos.

Also, maybe have a look on Gumtree or Ebay for coffee machines - some may be unwanted gifts and are brand new/barely used.
    Originally October 2042 // Goal December 2032
    Currently at 127,500

End of fix goal: 75,000 by September 2024
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,815Posts Today

8,464Users online

Martin's Twitter