Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jun 16, 7:29 PM
    • 35,062Posts
    • 41,149Thanks
    Browntoa
    Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )
    • 17th Jun 16, 7:29 PM
    Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes ) 17th Jun 16 at 7:29 PM
    Please post any deals you have negotiated with sky

Please post

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 3
    • lydriver
    • By lydriver 17th Jul 16, 11:21 AM
    • 261 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    lydriver
    just cancelled via live chat, was offered 25% off, that was the best they could offer
    now 35% off for a year showing when I log in to My Sky, hopefully that gets better the longer I leave it
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 17th Jul 16, 1:22 PM
    • 6,065 Posts
    • 4,018 Thanks
    csgohan4
    just cancelled via live chat, was offered 25% off, that was the best they could offer
    now 35% off for a year showing when I log in to My Sky, hopefully that gets better the longer I leave it
    Originally posted by lydriver

I got offered 50% on the TV package only, not broadband/ line rental.
    • lydriver
    • By lydriver 17th Jul 16, 1:28 PM
    • 261 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    lydriver
    it's just TV I have, 50% and I'll bite, altho if it stays at 35%....52 a month is better than 80!
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 17th Jul 16, 1:52 PM
    • 6,065 Posts
    • 4,018 Thanks
    csgohan4
    I got offered 50% on the TV package only, not broadband/ line rental.
    Originally posted by csgohan4
    Seems that 50% on TV has expired for me, shame
    • lydriver
    • By lydriver 17th Jul 16, 1:59 PM
    • 261 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    lydriver
    when i log in to MySky through the skybox it offers 35% off, with a countdown timer for 31 days (until sub ends) so looks like 35% will be the max for me
    tempted to leave it until after the 31 days when it's stopped then see what's offered
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 17th Jul 16, 5:59 PM
    • 2,032 Posts
    • 895 Thanks
    nickcc
    What "daily problems" ?
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Unfortunately having to unplug and do a restart every few days on both Humax 1100s boxes. Frozen screens and just the small preview window even when you select that channel are a regular problem. Tried total reset on both boxes but makes no difference. We even end up with a small viewing area ( not 16.9) even though we have a full HD (new) tv
    We have a sound bar and after resetting freesat now find that we have to adjust the sound whenever we change between HD and standard, can be a real pain when you get blasted out of your seats. Most of the problems, I'm sure, can be solved but we never had all these problems with Sky, who I incidentally think are rip off merchants.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 18th Jul 16, 4:01 PM
    • 9,147 Posts
    • 5,459 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Unfortunately having to unplug and do a restart every few days on both Humax 1100s boxes. Frozen screens and just the small preview window even when you select that channel are a regular problem. Tried total reset on both boxes but makes no difference. We even end up with a small viewing area ( not 16.9) even though we have a full HD (new) tv
    We have a sound bar and after resetting freesat now find that we have to adjust the sound whenever we change between HD and standard, can be a real pain when you get blasted out of your seats. Most of the problems, I'm sure, can be solved but we never had all these problems with Sky, who I incidentally think are rip off merchants.
    Originally posted by nickcc

We have two Humax boxes , but only use one at the moment as we have Sky, but problems needing reboot have been very rare. In fact , the box plugged into the upstairs tv has had no problems for two years.

Are your tv and box settings correct ? It's worth looking through them.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 18th Jul 16, 4:20 PM
    • 23,843 Posts
    • 13,209 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    U We even end up with a small viewing area ( not 16.9) even though we have a full HD (new) tv
    We have a sound bar and after resetting freesat now find that we have to adjust the sound whenever we change between HD and standard, can be a real pain when you get blasted out of your seats. Most of the problems, I'm sure, can be solved
    Originally posted by nickcc
    Indeed, the symptoms sound like a settings problem rather than any actual fault with BOTH machines. Refer to the instruction manual or get in touch with Humax direct
    • drunk1
    • By drunk1 18th Jul 16, 11:32 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    drunk1
    Just cancelled my Sky as it was the 12 months code MSE done last August and was jumping up to 94 a month.

Have cancelled and can't be bothered haggling, so just fired a new order through with a slightly different spelling and have full TV, sports, movies, HD etc 30 a month for 12 months. Getting a 25 prepaid MasterCard and Quidco has tracked at 130. Effectively 17.50 per month if Quidco pays out.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 19th Jul 16, 6:25 AM
    • 6,065 Posts
    • 4,018 Thanks
    csgohan4
    Just cancelled my Sky as it was the 12 months code MSE done last August and was jumping up to 94 a month.

Have cancelled and can't be bothered haggling, so just fired a new order through with a slightly different spelling and have full TV, sports, movies, HD etc 30 a month for 12 months. Getting a 25 prepaid MasterCard and Quidco has tracked at 130. Effectively 17.50 per month if Quidco pays out.
    Originally posted by drunk1

But doesn't the direct debit come from the same account?

also where did you get the new code from?
    • drunk1
    • By drunk1 19th Jul 16, 7:17 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    drunk1
    Got the code from hotukdeals, someone posted it a few days ago.

All other details I've kept the same, only need to change name slightly and ensure a new email address. All my confirmation emails have came through and getting installed Sat 30th.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 19th Jul 16, 10:44 AM
    • 6,065 Posts
    • 4,018 Thanks
    csgohan4

All other details I've kept the same, only need to change name slightly and ensure a new email address. All my confirmation emails have came through and getting installed Sat 30th.

Odd they don't check that the bank account number is the same. Anyways thanks for the heads up about the code
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 19th Jul 16, 12:12 PM
    • 9,147 Posts
    • 5,459 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Odd they don't check that the bank account number is the same. Anyways thanks for the heads up about the code
    Originally posted by csgohan4
    If they do realise what you have done, you could end up with a 12 month commitment at full price, as you aren't eligible for the offer.
    • wackojackouk
    • By wackojackouk 19th Jul 16, 1:10 PM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 4,517 Thanks
    wackojackouk
    Just been offered 60% and 100 credit for 12 month contract .......decision by end of July 3rd

Originally posted by steveE2
    Just wondering where that offer was?

I have the Sky Service App and I can see a 50% off TV but no countdown.

• drunk1
    • By drunk1 19th Jul 16, 2:24 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    drunk1
    Been doing it for 10 years on and off, has worked every time. I guess if more people do it they might start flagging it but for now it's all good!
    • rexel
    • By rexel 19th Jul 16, 2:35 PM
    • 535 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    rexel
    when I look at sky app I will get 50% off will they give me a better offer due to get cut off 1 aug
    • Andypandyboy
    • By Andypandyboy 19th Jul 16, 2:48 PM
    • 2,314 Posts
    • 5,976 Thanks
    Andypandyboy

This was mentioned to me in Carphone Warehouse but we were told it had to be a different surname. Surely, the name has to match the bank account too? How did you change the name?
    • drunk1
    • By drunk1 19th Jul 16, 5:49 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    drunk1
    This was mentioned to me in Carphone Warehouse but we were told it had to be a different surname. Surely, the name has to match the bank account too? How did you change the name?
    Originally posted by Andypandyboy
    Just change a few letters, or make it completely different, I have done that also previously.

If you don't do it right the next steps will advise to log in and update your details or call in.

If you do it right it will give you the option to set up DD and pay the 10 installation and asks you whether you are the account holder or someone else's bank, I just tick it's someone else's, they do no further checks as I can see.

I've made it sound more complicated that it really is but I do it basically every 12 months with the same bank account and never had any issues. Sky are getting 30 more a month than they would if they didn't let me do it so it's a win win. I continue getting Sky and they continue getting money from me at a reduced rate which is better than none at all or through a Kodi stick.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 19th Jul 16, 6:48 PM
    • 6,065 Posts
    • 4,018 Thanks
    csgohan4
    Just change a few letters, or make it completely different, I have done that also previously.

If you don't do it right the next steps will advise to log in and update your details or call in.

If you do it right it will give you the option to set up DD and pay the 10 installation and asks you whether you are the account holder or someone else's bank, I just tick it's someone else's, they do no further checks as I can see.

I've made it sound more complicated that it really is but I do it basically every 12 months with the same bank account and never had any issues. Sky are getting 30 more a month than they would if they didn't let me do it so it's a win win. I continue getting Sky and they continue getting money from me at a reduced rate which is better than none at all or through a Kodi stick.

Probably easier with a shared bank account so you can use different names and they exist.

in Any case, I got 50% off TV and free Unlimited Broadband (Not fibre). Apparently you can't get both offers at the same time and best to haggle for both services separately as you can't get two offers in the same day.

I got by calling, it's better this way than through Live chat and takes the same amount of time.

Ensure you get through to Customer retention line.
    Last edited by csgohan4; 21-07-2016 at 7:34 PM.
    • Olliepop
    • By Olliepop 21st Jul 16, 4:14 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Olliepop
    Deal breaker
    With sky and contract is up for renewal but suffice it to say deals offering to keep us after 14 years is sadly lacking.......Have called numerous tI'm es over different time periods and still same.

What would you guys recommend have threatened to cancel and still same. Real disappointed, if we're to cancel how long would I have to wait to rejoin as a new customer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,109Posts Today

6,237Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This is why I wrote the guide to financial abuse. It's tough to know when it's happening to you. It's also worth? https://t.co/XGI2sI7hOU

• RT @David_Challen: Really happy @MartinSLewis is raising awareness of economic/financial abuse. My mother cleaned her cousins home for poc?

• Has anyone successfully reclaimed PPI on behalf of a deceased relative. I'm doing a blog on how to do it, and I'd? https://t.co/PHXJXCzvc6

• Follow Martin