Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jun 16, 7:21 PM
    • 35,648Posts
    • 41,796Thanks
    Browntoa
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)
    • 17th Jun 16, 7:21 PM
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes) 17th Jun 16 at 7:21 PM
    Post any deals you've obtained when negotiating a new deal

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
    Last edited by Browntoa; 28-09-2016 at 7:45 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 75
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 14th Apr 19, 2:32 PM
    • 35,104 Posts
    • 22,179 Thanks
    DCFC79
    You're thinking about requesting a PAC for a mobile phone, not applicable at all for TV or broadband.

@Catt1010, they may or may not phone back, there's no guarantee I'm afraid.

You can set up Sky (for instance) and another BB supplier at any time as Virgins system is totally independent. You may lose your home phone number if it's important to you BTW.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe

Thanks Colin my bad.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 14th Apr 19, 4:41 PM
    • 4,006 Posts
    • 1,169 Thanks
    AndyPK
    Much better to research what the price will be at new supplier to be able to quote them.

Or just leave anyway
    • olgadapolga
    • By olgadapolga 14th Apr 19, 5:02 PM
    • 982 Posts
    • 1,163 Thanks
    olgadapolga
    sign up elsewhere (e.g nowtv gets my vote), and requesting your phone number is transferred over, makes virgin believe you are serious.
    Originally posted by AndyPK

I cancelled with Virgin Media. They refused to give me a price anywhere near what I had been paying and even when they "looked" at their prices they still wanted to charge me more than double for half of the services I had been receiving. Gave them 30 days' notice, after a long, excruciating call. I rang to cancel and they were determined to make it difficult!

Asked my new provider to port my number to them, I then received a call from Virgin telling me that my cancellation date was XYZ and that my number would be transferred over to the new provider. They suggested that I stay but again, wanted to charge me double for less than half of the services (BB, TV, phone). I declined and as far as I can tell, they won't be calling again.

Completely different story to last year when they fell over themselves to retain me as a customer, stating that it was cheaper to keep a customer at more or less any price than it was to recruit a new customer.

I've been with Virgin for a long, long time. They don't seem to rate loyalty anymore so I'll go elsewhere. Simples.
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 14th Apr 19, 5:41 PM
    • 2,821 Posts
    • 2,571 Thanks
    donnac2558
    Virgin Media???

Originally posted by Colin_Maybe

I was just saying the days of companies trying to hold on to customers seems to be over. Sky were known to contact and offer a deal, but recent posts people saying they are not doing this. So Virgin might be the same?
    • lonny1
    • By lonny1 23rd Apr 19, 3:15 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    lonny1
    VIRGIN MEDIA SAVE £480 A YEAR MIN,MY LOOPHOLE.STORY TO NEWS TEAM SENT. Dear sir/madam SAVE EVERY
    STORY TO NEWS TEAM SENT.

Dear sir/madam SAVE EVERYONE ON CABLE £480 A YEAR.

Virgin media holding people to ransom because they are cable and might take up to 4 weeks to transfer telephone number, plus the house must have a bt socket. I paid £70 a month for TV and 100mb broadband NO TV BOX , I was sick of share holders.so last night I went to virgin media special offer £29 a month for telephone and broadband ,for new customers only ,to hell with that I said I'm not under contract and I don't have to pay exit fee or give 30 days notice. PLEASE NOTE PEOPLE ARE ONLY UNDER CONTRACT WHEN THEY FIRST JOIN FOR 1 YEAR OR 18 MONTHS MAX.

So I filled in the form bank details etc through MSE as a NEW CUSTOMER it all went through nice at the end it said our engineer will install the new superhub 3 on may 3rd 2019.then I phoned virgin media disconnect team and told them I'm leaving on the 2nd of may ,I was honest and told them what I have done the guy says but you cant your a existing customer , I TOLD HIM LISTEN I DONT HAVE A CONTRACT I DONT HAVE TO GIVE YOU 30 DAYS NOTICE I INCUR NO PENALTY FEE FOR LEAVING. Oh he said hang on to I speak to supervisor 3 mins later oh sorry you are right you can also keep YOUR TELEPHONE NUMBER AND EMAIL ADDRESS.

I NOW SAVE 40 POUNDS A MONTH " £480 " A YEAR YEHAAAAAAAAAAAA and next year ill do it again.people with tv packages will save even more.to check your contracted just log into virgin media your account.

Please TELL EVERY ONE MY STORY AND SAVE THEM £480 A YEAR ,GONE ARE VIRGIN RIPOFFS. CALCULATE - 480 X 4 MILLION CUSTOMERS MY GOD BILLIONS.
    people watch out the might say oh you got a new superhub thats free but renews your contract rubbish.
    UPDATE TOP MANAGER PHONED ME SAID THIS CALL IS BEING RECORDED " SCARE TACTIC "I CAN GIVE YOU THE DEAL WITHOUT YOU LEAVING AND REJOINING , I SAID NO YOU HAVE RIPPED ME AND OTHERS OFF FOR YEARS IM DOING A FRANK SINATRA IM DOING IT MY WAY. IM NEW HERE SO I HOPE THIS IS BEST PLACE TO POST, SO THE HOLE SITE CAN SEE THIS.IF IM WRONG CAN SOMEONE PLEASE COPY AND PASTE THIS TO THE HIGHEST LEVAL IN MY NAME.LONNYBOY1.
    • lonny1
    • By lonny1 23rd Apr 19, 3:44 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    lonny1
    Lonny1 is write name not lonnyboy1.
    Update. Forgot bonus when you rejoin you get £50 pounds back to hehe they will be sick.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 23rd Apr 19, 4:05 PM
    • 3,576 Posts
    • 20,325 Thanks
    mije1983
    Yes, it's always worth haggling with all firms, not just Virgin. There are lengthy threads on it in the forums. For example a lot of posters here who are with Sky are on at least a 50% discount from the advertised price.

However I do need to pick up on a point. You keep saying you are not in contract, but that is completely incorrect. Of course you still have a contract, even though it is a rolling 30 day one. Otherwise your services would have stopped after the 12/18 months were up. What you don't have is a lengthy minimum term anymore, or an early termination charge to pay. If you read the contract you agreed to it will most likely say you need to give 30 days notice to terminate.

Also, telling you the call is being recorded is not a 'scare tactic'. If the call is being recorded, they legally have to make you aware. Most call centres record calls, both incoming and outgoing.

I hope I'm wrong, but you could find they they will either charge you the difference between the notice you have given and the contractual agreed period, or fail to honour your new order as you are not a new customer. Don't forget to return your old equipment either if they ask for it, as it belongs to Virgin and they could well charge you for it if you don't.

It would be good if you can come back on 4th May and update the forum so others who search for the same thing can see the outcome.

Edit:

Virgin retention thread here

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5480640&page=74
    Last edited by mije1983; 23-04-2019 at 4:08 PM.

• lonny1
    • By lonny1 23rd Apr 19, 5:03 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    lonny1
    reply to mige1983
    yes i know mije i told supervisor i am not on a rolling contract he agreed.they cannot fail to houner new contract i have it all recorded and on paper as below.if so small court ask for £6000 for loss of services as im disabled .and strain and duress etc etc. my cousin is a top barrister hehe god loves a tryer.thx for reply but your reply puts people of ??????. AS MARTIN SAYS FIGHT BACK KEEP TRYING.BELOW.
    Online order reference:

Hi there,

You're in! We're sending one of our technicians round on 03/05/2019 between 1PM-6PM to install your Virgin Media services.

When we install your Virgin Media services, it should only take about two hours to get all the equipment up and running. Please make sure that there's somebody over the age of 18 present when our installer visits.

You'll shortly be getting a letter through the post. It contains a copy of your contract - we'd be grateful if you could sign and return a copy to us. Tucked away in the letter, you'll also find a guide to everything you need to know about Virgin Media.

If you have any questions at all, just call our team 0345 454 1111*.

Kind regards,

The Virgin Media team

*For details on how much it costs to call our team from a Virgin Media home phone, visit virginmedia.com/callcosts. Call costs from other networks and mobiles vary.

Hello,

We're really sorry that you've decided to go and when it comes to your services, we understand that there are lots of companies to choose from. If things don't work out, you're always welcome to come straight back to us.

In the meantime, we'll do all we can to make sure your disconnection goes smoothly.

Your disconnection date

Your services will stop on the date you were advised.

Returning your equipment
    It's quick and easy to return your Virgin Media bits and pieces - and it won't even cost you a penny. Once your services are disconnected, we'll send you a free postal returns kit.

Just pop the equipment into the packaging provided - including any cables, remotes and smartcards - and drop it off at your local Collect+ store. You can find your nearest store at collectplus.co.uk.

The reason we ask you to return your equipment is that, while you're with us, you rent your equipment, rather than own it. So if you don't return your equipment, within 30 days of your service disconnection, we'll have to charge you for it.

Your final bill

If you pay by Direct Debit, this will be drawn after your disconnection on your normal date from the bank. The Direct Debit will be cancelled once you have paid your final bill in full
    If you don't pay by Direct Debit, the quickest way to make a payment is with a credit or debit card - simply sign in to your account at virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia
    If your account is in credit, this will appear on your final bill and we'll send a cheque to your registered address - this can take up to 45 days from your disconnection completing
    If you've been charged an early disconnection fee, this will appear on your final bill.
    If your next bill looks the same as usual, don't worry - your final bill from us will arrive after your disconnection date
    As we bill in advance, your next bill will show charges billed beyond your disconnection date
    You can watch a short video on how your final bill will work here. It's a good idea to keep hold of this email until your final bill arrives to help with any questions.

Your telephone number
    If you've arranged to take your telephone number to a new provider, they'll be able to answer any queries you have about the switch.

Your email account
    If you're disconnecting your Virgin Broadband, your email account with us will close 90 days after your disconnection date. When this happens, you won't be able to use that email address to sign into your My Virgin Media account and you won't be able to access your email folders anymore. If you've got anything important stored there, don't forget to save it on your computer !

Your Netflix account

If you're disconnecting your Virgin TV service and you subscribe to Netflix, you won't be able to watch it through your TiVo® box anymore. You'll still be able to watch it on your other devices and you'll continue to be charged by Netflix directly.

F-Secure SAFE - You'll continue to enjoy your F-Secure SAFE free trial and benefit from Virgin Media's discounted rate (£25 per year). If you're already paying for the service you'll continue to be billed directly through F-Secure.

If you have any other questions, just head to virginmedia.com/help

Kind regards,

The Virgin Media team
    • lonny1
    • By lonny1 23rd Apr 19, 5:18 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    lonny1
    mije1984
    mije why has my views etc went to zero on page ???????????.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 23rd Apr 19, 7:56 PM
    • 3,576 Posts
    • 20,325 Thanks
    mije1983
    yes i know mije i told supervisor i am not on a rolling contract he agreed
    Originally posted by lonny1
    If you are currently still receiving VM services, then he was sadly mistaken. It's not unheard of for call centre staff to not understand the difference between the contract and the initial minimum term.

they cannot fail to houner new contract i have it all recorded and on paper
    They could quite easily. If the offer you have taken up stated 'new customers only', and you are not a new customer, then any contract is void. An easy get out for VM if they so wish.

if so small court ask for £6000 for loss of services as im disabled .and strain and duress etc etc. my cousin is a top barrister
    Your cousin will no doubt be able to talk you through the intricacies of that path. Like the fact you need to be able to quantify your losses. So you would need to be able to show how you came up with that £6k figure etc. I also think that should VM have a clause about what a 'new customer' is, then you would have no claim for loss of services anyway.

your reply puts people of ??????. AS MARTIN SAYS FIGHT BACK KEEP TRYING.BELOW.
    It's not about putting people off. As I said originally, you should ALWAYS haggle with companies to get a better price, not just VM. However, it is important people have realistic and accurate views on what the situation is. Retention deals are often better than new customer offers if you work it well, so it's often far more beneficial to try that route first before attempting any new customer offers that they may decide you are not eligible for.

Just to reiterate, I hope this all goes smoothly for you and that your post on the 4th May is a successful one. A lot of times people register, make one post, but then never come back to update with the outcome. If VM have indeed changed their policy about what is a new customer, then a great many people could benefit from your post-installation update.

mije why has my views etc went to zero on page ???????????.

You post has been merged into the ongoing Virgin thread I linked to in my reply.

• lonny1
    • By lonny1 23rd Apr 19, 11:20 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    lonny1
    mije dont worrie i will be back ii hate rip of companies
    last word mije.
    but on paper i leave and im not a customer on the 2nd of may even if they pull the 30 day notice rule.say i phoned today and said cut me off now i have no money for bill,just send me bill for what i need to pay you up till today ,they cant say oh we cant you will have to pay 30 days notice for a service you will not use or require thats against the law, i could be moving home tomorrow or flooded out of home.im ready for fight back its been a week now no letter or email NO NEWS IS GOOD NEWS HEHE.MY BANK ACCOUNT IS READY FOR COURT IF IT COMES I DONT CARE IF I LOOSE,ATLEAST I TRIED.
    THANKYOU MIJE YOUR ADVICE IS GOOD IM MORE PRE PAIRED.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 23rd Apr 19, 11:53 PM
    • 3,576 Posts
    • 20,325 Thanks
    mije1983
    they cant say oh we cant you will have to pay 30 days notice for a service you will not use or require thats against the law
    Yes they can, and no it's not against the law. I'm sure your cousin can verify that. It would have been documented in the legally binding contract you agreed. If you had an issue with it, the time to raise it was BEFORE you first took VM services.

i could be moving home tomorrow or flooded out of home.
    That doesn't matter at all. Search for the numerous threads on this forum about people moving house to a non VM supplied area. The common theme is they have to pay up. As agreed in the contract.

MY BANK ACCOUNT IS READY FOR COURT IF IT COMES I DONT CARE IF I LOOSE,
    As this is a money saving forum, I have to say the phrase cutting off your nose to spite your face comes to mind here. But as I say, good luck!

• lonny1
    • By lonny1 24th Apr 19, 12:12 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    lonny1
    As arnold says , ill be back , on 4th of may cant wait.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 5th May 19, 8:04 AM
    • 4,664 Posts
    • 2,706 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Ok please read below my story that worked, after me and my barrister found loophole on UK cable media company ? You know who ,please note you do not need to give a months notice as you pay a month in advance to cable media company ?.,well here it all is,my story and proof I sent to mse news desk ,for legal reasons on here no capital letters or name company but they do cable bb phone TV .this is my story and will not affect mse or readers.

I will save £480 a year from may 2019 also I received on 27th of april five page contract I will now pay £27 pounds a month ,contract 1 year plus a £50 credit.yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

This massive cable company have been holding people to ransom because they are cable and might take up to 5 weeks plus to transfer telephone number, plus the house must have a landline socket for new ISP and you will loose your email address after 90 days. I paid £62 a month for TV and 50mb broadband no TV box I got free upgrade to 100mb then 200mb free ,but my bill was upgraded 3 times to, very sneaky give you something free then double your bill ? I was sick of share holders.so last night I went to cable companys special offer £27 a month for telephone and broadband ,for new customers only, wrong I said, with that I said I'm not under contract and I don't have to pay exit fee or give 30 days notice. Please note a contract only lasts a year when you join,I signed in to my account seen no contract. Beware people they try to say "oh you got new modem so that renews contract "rubbish".

So I filled in the form bank details etc first through MSE as a "new customer" it all went through nice at the end it said our engineer will install the new modem hub 3 on may 3rd 2019.then I phoned cable companys media disconnect team and told them I'm leaving on the 2nd of may ,I was honest and told them what I have done the guy says but you cant your a existing customer , I said I have been with you 10 years I have no contract I don't have to give 30 days notice as I paid a month in advance and there is no rolling contract. Oh he said hang on to I speak to supervisor 10 mins later oh sorry you are right you can also keep your telephone number and email address but this may take 3 days to switch .after that I got 3 calls saying we can do that deal without you leaving and rejoining, I told them no the ball is rolling now, for years I have asked for minimum contract or deal they said no no no I told them I have a landline socket but I want to keep my email address so you are to late, Also please note if you don't get broadband or have a fault they must pay you for each day,or loss of any services in your area their fav reply , new government law they signed up to.

Now I "save" £500 a year plus £50 credit I have same phone number same email address and next year ill do it again.phone number takes 72 hours but you get a temporary one untill then.

Also please note if you have a TV package to you will save even more money just Google their new deals, don't be put off by new customers only.

4 million customers x £480 brilliant the people that are poor and old now can win win win god bless.so join first then tell them your leaving.

john
    Originally posted by john mccrae
    Hello again @lonny1, you really need to work on this trolling lark, you're not very good at it.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 5th May 19, 9:16 AM
    • 13,349 Posts
    • 6,099 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Just keep hitting the spam button .
    • Halster
    • By Halster 8th May 19, 9:00 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Halster
    Hi guys, just thought I add my retention deal that I just got. My contract doesn't end till July, paying £38 for 200mb with weekend calls. I have been offered 350mb, full house, kids, and 2x V6 boxes for £63 per month on 12 month contract. Does that sound ok?

I've asked her to save the deal, as I am still in contract with sky until next month..
    • BigBlueSky
    • By BigBlueSky 8th May 19, 10:45 AM
    • 129 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    BigBlueSky
    Was originally on £20 per month for 100Mbps Internet, Player TV and weekend calls. Now on a 'discounted' £37 per month for the same. My current 'deal' ends in July.

What can I expect to be able to get this same package for, or possibly a Mix TV version (I would like Fun TV, but I don't believe this is available anymore).
    • patil
    • By patil 13th May 19, 11:08 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    patil
    Virgin bundle with Asian Pack
    My two cents ...

Background: Existing customer with Full House TV + Talk Weekends Phone + 100 Mbps broadband and Asian Pack - £62 a month in 2018-19.

Price hiked by £20 from 1 May 2019 after end of previous contract.

Called VM and after 1 hour listening to music got to the 'customer retention team'.

Got Full House TV + Talk Weekends Phone + 100 Mbps broadband and Asian Pack for £60 a month on a 12 month contract.

Not sure if I got the best possible deal :-) but the hassle of moving to SKY with new installations deters me from switching. Maybe next year!
    • den169
    • By den169 13th May 19, 2:47 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    den169
    My two cents ...

Background: Existing customer with Full House TV + Talk Weekends Phone + 100 Mbps broadband and Asian Pack - £62 a month in 2018-19.

Price hiked by £20 from 1 May 2019 after end of previous contract.

Called VM and after 1 hour listening to music got to the 'customer retention team'.

Got Full House TV + Talk Weekends Phone + 100 Mbps broadband and Asian Pack for £60 a month on a 12 month contract.

Not sure if I got the best possible deal :-) but the hassle of moving to SKY with new installations deters me from switching. Maybe next year!
    Originally posted by patil
    As far as i know the only way to get retentions is to cancel ,And then wait for a call.
    • den169
    • By den169 13th May 19, 2:50 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    den169
    Cancelled today gave 30 days notice,But then got an email saying phone is £24 a month,Minimum period 12 months i rang up and said i cancelled the lot she said its so i can port my number,Iv'e cancelled the lot a few times and never had this has anyone else had this.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,978Posts Today

8,537Users online

Martin's Twitter