Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Jun 16, 7:21 PM
    • 35,033Posts
    • 41,115Thanks
    Browntoa
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)
    • 17th Jun 16, 7:21 PM
    Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes) 17th Jun 16 at 7:21 PM
    Post any deals you've obtained when negotiating a new deal

The package

The price and discount

The length of the contract
    Last edited by Browntoa; 28-09-2016 at 7:45 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 3
    • c_smith
    • By c_smith 23rd Aug 16, 2:20 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    c_smith
    Paying 72.48 for Big Kahuna (although with boosted 200Mb speed).
    I was annoyed to see the new customer offer at 49.99 so rang to cancel and they offered me a rubbish 7 discount at the expense of being tied into an 18 month contract... So I told them to cancel it. I'd have probably accepted if not for the contract. I don't really want to leave or downgrade too much, just hate paying so much.

How much leeway do these call centre reps have with discounting?
    Originally posted by cambermam
    Are you sure it was an 18 month contract? Last few times I've had a deal with them it was 12 months for the new contract, but the loyalty discount (or part of it) would remain valid for 18 months.
    • JB162
    • By JB162 23rd Aug 16, 11:24 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    JB162
    The call centre staff have no leeway! The system tells them what they can offer.

If the discount is not available then they can't give it to you and this includes Customer Relations (Retentions).

Customer Services and Customer Relations work off the same system. Only difference Customer Services are targeted on getting the higher priced packages (upgrades), where Customer Relations are targeted on stopping disconnections. But both use the exact same system.
    • JB162
    • By JB162 24th Aug 16, 12:08 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    JB162
    WARNING!

If you cancel in the hope they will call you back to offer a better deal. Don't!

The Outbound Teams are currently all taking inbound calls due to the increased call volume with the Price Change!
    • cambermam
    • By cambermam 25th Aug 16, 9:00 PM
    • 774 Posts
    • 1,124 Thanks
    cambermam
    Are you sure it was an 18 month contract? Last few times I've had a deal with them it was 12 months for the new contract, but the loyalty discount (or part of it) would remain valid for 18 months.
    Originally posted by c_smith
    Yeah I questioned it because the new customer contract is only 12 months and she said 18 month tie-in to accept a loyalty discount.

Mind you, I've since been reminded that with the regular price increases which offer a way out of contracts, it probably doesn't matter on the length of the contract so much anyway
    Internet earnings:
    Swagbucks - 748
    InstaGC -73
    Nielsen Mobile - 70
    Mobile Trends - 19.50
    iPoll - 15
    • hec2308
    • By hec2308 26th Aug 16, 7:38 AM
    • 71 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    hec2308
    I called them last night due to their latest batch of price increases pushing our bill over 70 which is ridiculous for what we have. When I called them I spoke to two different people and was offered no new deal, in fact I was told if they re-negotiated my contract with me now it would increase even more in price. So much for being able to haggle a better deal!!!

I ended up calling and switching to Sky last night. Ideally I would have loved to stay with Virgin Media, I didn't expect them to be able to reduce our bill by 20 a month which is what I've been able to do with Sky, but no attempt was made to keep us as customers.

So for 67 a month at VM we had:

TV L package with multi room
    Unlimited Broadband
    Evening and Weekend calls

At Sky for 48 we now have:

TV Boxsets package with multi room
    Unlimited Broadband
    Anytime calls

We'll see how the switch goes I guess...

ETA: Sorry I know this isn't a haggling success, but I went into this thinking it would be relatively straight forward to get them down in price. Thought it might be worth warning people that they don't seem that prepared to budge! They certainly called my bluff!
    Last edited by hec2308; 26-08-2016 at 8:28 AM.
    • Rev
    • By Rev 26th Aug 16, 2:27 PM
    • 3,026 Posts
    • 2,737 Thanks
    Rev
    My current deal of 22.99 was sorted in December. I have no problem staying with that but refuse to pay more with the new price hike.

Has anyone sorted a new deal based on this newly announced price hike?

I'm on 150mb bb only. Don't mind dropping to 70mb.
    Sigless
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 27th Aug 16, 10:40 AM
    • 6,026 Posts
    • 3,996 Thanks
    csgohan4
    Same experience here,

cancelled Parent's virgin after 1 year paying 28/month for fibre, no new offers, no offers even after giving 30 days notice.

Pathetic really.

Moved to BT fibre due to recent cashback deals, happy so far
    • dazedandconfused_123
    • By dazedandconfused_123 27th Aug 16, 1:14 PM
    • 170 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    dazedandconfused_123
    Advice welcome!
    Our bill has gone up 40 As the 12 mnth discount has ended and also we our loyalty bonus has ended.
    Problem is our contract was actually for 18 months so we are in contract until February and they know we can't run until then!!
    Called a few days ago and I have tried live chat today, but not offered a good enough deal.
    Really not prepared to go to TV M as that is basically freeview and we don't want to lose FOX and Sky Sports News.

Any advice what to say when I call back?
    Last edited by dazedandconfused_123; 27-08-2016 at 1:14 PM. Reason: Edit
    Thanks to all posters for your never ending help and support

• Rev
    • By Rev 27th Aug 16, 1:28 PM
    • 3,026 Posts
    • 2,737 Thanks
    Rev
    Our bill has gone up 40 As the 12 mnth discount has ended and also we our loyalty bonus has ended.
    Problem is our contract was actually for 18 months so we are in contract until February and they know we can't run until then!!
    Called a few days ago and I have tried live chat today, but not offered a good enough deal.
    Really not prepared to go to TV M as that is basically freeview and we don't want to lose FOX and Sky Sports News.

Any advice what to say when I call back?
    Originally posted by dazedandconfused_123

With the new price rise you can leave without penalty.
    Sigless
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 27th Aug 16, 1:43 PM
    • 3,833 Posts
    • 2,015 Thanks
    MABLE
    Same here.
    • dazedandconfused_123
    • By dazedandconfused_123 27th Aug 16, 2:41 PM
    • 170 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    dazedandconfused_123
    Would that still be the case even though my price rise is due the initial discount ending (22) and the loyalty discount ending (18) ? Sorry, maybe I should have explained that.
    I thought the price rises happening at the moment where one of VMs ad hoc increases and not like the increase in my bill? The advisor I originally spoke to said if we were getting this increase we would get a letter - and I guess this would trigger being able to leave penalty free.

First time anyone has been hoping for one of those letters Ha ha!
    Thanks to all posters for your never ending help and support

• ADChick
    • By ADChick 29th Aug 16, 1:22 AM
    • 67 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    ADChick
    Has anyone had any joy getting the new customer deals? My current package is pretty much identical to the big kahuna one but about 15 a month more, and will be even more when my loyalty discount ends.

I briefly chatted to someone on the live chat who offered a rubbish deal. What's the best way to deal with them? Do I go in quoting one of there own deals, or say I'm leaving completely?
    • liviboy
    • By liviboy 29th Aug 16, 1:43 PM
    • 482 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    liviboy
    Has anyone had any joy getting the new customer deals? My current package is pretty much identical to the big kahuna one but about 15 a month more, and will be even more when my loyalty discount ends.

I briefly chatted to someone on the live chat who offered a rubbish deal. What's the best way to deal with them? Do I go in quoting one of there own deals, or say I'm leaving completely?
    Originally posted by ADChick
    There was absolutely no way Virgin were going to do that for me.

Live chat have less access to deals and eventually will tell you to call 150 which is what I did...

I was in the same position except that my BB had been given the free speed boost to 150.

The guy eventually said to me the only way was to cancel, wait 3 full months and then sign up again.

He got to around 8 above the new customer cost but that's still nearly 100 extra over the year so I declined and gave my notice.

Now looking at taking out the MSE Sky offer for a year to be honest.
    • c_smith
    • By c_smith 29th Aug 16, 4:12 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    c_smith
    It seems Virgin Media aren't interested in retaining customer anymore, I haven't heard of any good retention deals lately. If existing customers want to enter into another new contract to obtain new customer deals they should be allowed to do so. And these twice yearly price rises at levels far exceeding inflation have to stop. It's bloody greed.
    • liviboy
    • By liviboy 29th Aug 16, 7:12 PM
    • 482 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    liviboy
    It seems Virgin Media aren't interested in retaining customer anymore, I haven't heard of any good retention deals lately. If existing customers want to enter into another new contract to obtain new customer deals they should be allowed to do so. And these twice yearly price rises at levels far exceeding inflation have to stop. It's bloody greed.
    They're too full of themselves to care. They go on and on and on about how superior their broadband is compared to every other company.

The guy I dealt with stated the figures for a cancelled customer returning within a few months of leaving was somewhere in the region of 92%.

Because they truly believe their product is so far superior to anyone else they do not need to compete on cost.

The difference is - I'm currently running at 150Mbps - on Wifi it's closer to 90Mbps. I honestly don't feel the difference between my home connection and that at my work which is around 11Mbps.

If I did a lot of online gaming/downloading/etc. then I could perhaps appreciate it more but for general day-to-day and browsing MSE I don't think I really feel it.

Their TiVo boxes are so slow (especially since the summer update!!!!) and the signal quality isn't exactly brilliant (pixilation, freezing, etc. especially in the rain (the boxes outside aren't completely watertight and if water gets in then everything just dies!).

SO I'm not calling their bluff with my cancellation. I'm going to give Sky another go through the MSE offer and who knows I might be back to VM in a year's time. If VM had offered me the package I wanted (available online to new customers, not exactly a unique special promotion...) then I would still be paying 10 more a month than I will with SKy but I would have been prepared to pay it. VM simply weren't interested. There's no loyalty, end of!
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 29th Aug 16, 7:35 PM
    • 6,026 Posts
    • 3,996 Thanks
    csgohan4
    They're too full of themselves to care. They go on and on and on about how superior their broadband is compared to every other company.

The guy I dealt with stated the figures for a cancelled customer returning within a few months of leaving was somewhere in the region of 92%.

Because they truly believe their product is so far superior to anyone else they do not need to compete on cost.

The difference is - I'm currently running at 150Mbps - on Wifi it's closer to 90Mbps. I honestly don't feel the difference between my home connection and that at my work which is around 11Mbps.

If I did a lot of online gaming/downloading/etc. then I could perhaps appreciate it more but for general day-to-day and browsing MSE I don't think I really feel it.

Their TiVo boxes are so slow (especially since the summer update!!!!) and the signal quality isn't exactly brilliant (pixilation, freezing, etc. especially in the rain (the boxes outside aren't completely watertight and if water gets in then everything just dies!).

SO I'm not calling their bluff with my cancellation. I'm going to give Sky another go through the MSE offer and who knows I might be back to VM in a year's time. If VM had offered me the package I wanted (available online to new customers, not exactly a unique special promotion...) then I would still be paying 10 more a month than I will with SKy but I would have been prepared to pay it. VM simply weren't interested. There's no loyalty, end of!
    Originally posted by liviboy

They have traffic management, so whether you have 11 or 1000mbs it won't matter, they will throttle your behind when you really need it. It's a gimmick tbh their high bandwidth
    • Kenzer
    • By Kenzer 30th Aug 16, 9:47 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Kenzer
    Currently with VM at 64/month plus 3.49 increase.

TV m+
    Fibre 150Mbps
    Phone XL.

Gave 30 days notice on Saturday as plan to take up the Sky moneysavingexpert deal.

Phone call today from Virgin retentions this evening saying they want to retain my custom and asked reasons why was I leaving.

They offered me:
    TV m+ and sports(not really interested in sports).
    Fibre 100Mbps
    Phone XL plus free calls to mobiles 0870 and 0845

Offered this lot for 50 after I had mentioned the Sky deal. Said that's the best he can do.
    I also mentioned that the 7 day catch up on the TiVo you could no longer go direct to watch now and you have to do a manual search for a program which to me is a major downside compared to Sky and Freeview.
    • katies mum
    • By katies mum 31st Aug 16, 10:15 AM
    • 2,078 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    katies mum
    After being a loyal customer of virgin for 18 years I have just rung to see to see if I can reduce my monthly costs (over the past few years one phone call has given me a good deal from them), I also mentioned the Sky offer I could get, she could not offer me anything so I have given 30 days notice. The Sky offer from MSE - 37.80 for Box sets, Sky Cinema, Unlimited BB, Talk Anytime and line rental. She said the closest Virgin could get was 70! If Virgin had offered me what I have now for that price I would have stayed with them (currently have Tivo, M+ TV, BB 70mbps, Talk unlimited and have to pay for line rental 51 which includes an 8 loyalty bonus that ends 13 Nov but then there is the price increase to add in) but am happy with what I have just not the increasing price.

She said she would put disconnection through and hopefully I might come back to Virgin in the future and get a `new customer offer`!! and did i want to export my phone number?

I have never gone this far before and am not really sure what to do next. The offer with Sky from MSE is until 2nd September, but I haven`t pressed the button to sign up yet. I`m quite nervous and really don`t want the hassle of changing suppliers if I can help it as I really like the Tivo box and also the Virgin Fibre broadband, but its such a massive saving.

Could I please ask? does anyone know if I signed up with Sky and I was one of the lucky ones who get a call from Virgin retentions with an offer (but I`m not holding my breath) can you cancel the Sky contract within a certain number of days, or once you sign up are you tied in for 12 months?

Thank you
    • c_smith
    • By c_smith 31st Aug 16, 10:40 AM
    • 355 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    c_smith
    I signed up with Sky yesterday after 13 years with Virgin (previously Telewest). I was told by the customer services representative that I could cancel the installation at any time up until the day it was due to take place. And any upfront fees will be refunded to you.

Likewise, I'm disappointed with Virgin. I get sick of their twice yearly price rises, but any time I've called previously they've offered me a good deal to stay with them. From what others have been saying on this forum, they're obviously intent on committing corporate suicide because if you're not competitive you can't survive in business.
    • katies mum
    • By katies mum 31st Aug 16, 10:54 AM
    • 2,078 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    katies mum
    Thank you c_smith, I was also with Telewest. Have Virgin bothered to contact you? Did you take up the Sky offer over the phone, thought I would have to sign up online. Could I please ask, how long do you have to wait for installation?

Like you I have been offered a good deal to stay with Virgin in the past, but there was absolutely nothing offered earlier this morning.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,168Posts Today

4,456Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Oh if only one were brave/honest enough to say "my mental health" - in answer to the weakness question. I say this? https://t.co/RyihpzwPdY

• Been out with the little one, just got back and turned the #c4debate on. What have i missed? Who is winning?

• It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Follow Martin