Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Fraser
    • By MSE Fraser 26th Nov 15, 9:31 AM
    • 30Posts
    • 4Thanks
    MSE Fraser
    Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback
    • 26th Nov 15, 9:31 AM
    Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback 26th Nov 15 at 9:31 AM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Avro Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 07-09-2017 at 3:18 PM.
Page 49
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 14th May 19, 10:35 AM
    • 5,221 Posts
    • 2,606 Thanks
    Consumerist
    With the switch away and staying on the previous fixed rate, Affect/octopus showed how it should be done as I'm switching from them to Avro. Noticed on my statement that they had transferred me onto their standard tariff when my fix ended 1 April when I had advised them I was switching away about 20th March, 1 quick phone call and they immediately put me back onto my previous fixed rate backdated to 1 April.
    Originally posted by Chrishazle
    But, I bet they get away with it most of the time.

Since they corrected the matter quickly by phone, it seems that they know about the requirement but choose to ignore it until they receive a complaint.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 14th May 19, 10:48 AM
    • 5,221 Posts
    • 2,606 Thanks
    Consumerist
    Some useful ammunition there. Took them 6 days to respond to my email asking what rates they were going to charge at, will see how long it takes them to reply to this one! We're only talking about a few quid, but it's the principle - and I'm an ex-customer anyway!
    Originally posted by victor2
    From my experience, they tend to ignore follow-up emails. A complaint (perhaps through Resolver complaints tool) would probably be more effective if you have already received any refund due to you.

If you're still owed a refund it might be better to wait until you have received it before making the complaint or Avro will likely use it as an excuse to delay payment until the complaint is resolved - and we don't know how long that could take.
    • victor2
    • By victor2 14th May 19, 12:57 PM
    • 4,939 Posts
    • 3,314 Thanks
    victor2
    From my experience, they tend to ignore follow-up emails. A complaint (perhaps through Resolver complaints tool) would probably be more effective if you have already received any refund due to you.

If you're still owed a refund it might be better to wait until you have received it before making the complaint or Avro will likely use it as an excuse to delay payment until the complaint is resolved - and we don't know how long that could take.
    Originally posted by Consumerist

Not had a final bill yet - only started with the new supplier just over a week ago. They have responded to my emails in the past, within their stated timeframe, so I'll see what, if anything, comes back.
    • Leear
    • By Leear 14th May 19, 3:56 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Leear
    Well that was simple :-)
    I also just saw this Simple & SuperSavvy tariff and I have just sent them an email to switch me from Simple and AutumFix, which would also save me £51 pa and bring my standing order down from £88 to £83pm.

I will report back in this process and time frame
    Originally posted by Leear
    I asked AVRO for the switch (above) even though I'm in month seven of a 12 month fix.

Today, (6 days later) I got a new 12 month lower contract on the Simple & SuperSavvy tariff as from the date of my request (8th May 2019) RESULT
    • Chrishazle
    • By Chrishazle 14th May 19, 9:29 PM
    • 546 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    Chrishazle
    Just found out that despite supplying my change date readings to Avro on 20th April, my previous supplier (Affect/Octopus) did not receive them from Avro until May 7 - which is apparently within the required time!! Have yet to receive the request for first month meter reading from Avro - that will be 20th May, by which time they will have taken 2 months DD so I'll be in credit by 3 figures! Initial impression of Avro is "may soon use their no penalty get-out" to return to Affect/Octopus!!
    Be interesting to see how long it takes Octopus/Affect to finalise my account - based on past experience of their CS it will not be long!
    • ighaig
    • By ighaig 16th May 19, 10:37 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ighaig
    I have found Avro to be overestimating my consumption and setting my DD too high. They have proved remarkably reluctant to refund positive credit balances and when they do it takes over a month and I get less than the amount I requested.
    Last edited by ighaig; 16-05-2019 at 10:42 AM.
    • andrewparkeruk
    • By andrewparkeruk 16th May 19, 12:19 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    andrewparkeruk
    As a follow up to my previous post about, as an existing Avro customer, trying to switch my elderly Mother from ‘Simple and Summerplan’ to the new 'Simple and SuperSavvy’. I have been trying to achieve this since 08-May.

Yesterday I checked MSE Cheap Energy Club site and found Octopus offering a slightly better tariff. Although I hadn't heard of Octopus they score highly for customer service.

I immediately initiated the switch (which will also include a £25 cashback payment).
    That'll show 'em
    • victor2
    • By victor2 16th May 19, 7:23 PM
    • 4,939 Posts
    • 3,314 Thanks
    victor2
    I emailed Avro quoting part of SLC 24.9 to them, saying that a domestic customer will continue to be subject to the same Charges for the Supply of Electricity and the same terms and conditions (but not any Termination Fee) that applied to that Fixed Term Supply Contract until they have changed their supplier.
    They responded with "As per our terms and conditions, you will be charged on our Simple Energy rate from [end of contract date] to [start of new supplier's contract], which is the period from when your tariff ended to when the new supplier switched over."
    The Simple Energy rate is of course their (most expensive) standard tariff.

Haven't had the final bill yet, so will wait until that has all gone through before following it up - with something along the lines of asking them to confirm that their terms and conditions over-ride any OFGEM regulations.

• Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 21st May 19, 10:46 PM
    • 5,221 Posts
    • 2,606 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . Haven't had the final bill yet, so will wait until that has all gone through before following it up - with something along the lines of asking them to confirm that their terms and conditions over-ride any OFGEM regulations.
    Since we are talking about a potential breach of the terms of their licence conditions you could, if you felt so inclined, send copies of those emails and your final bill to Ofgem at: consumeraffairs@ofgem.gov.uk
    • victor2
    • By victor2 22nd May 19, 6:58 AM
    • 4,939 Posts
    • 3,314 Thanks
    victor2
    Since we are talking about a potential breach of the terms of their licence conditions you could, if you felt so inclined, send copies of those emails and your final bill to Ofgem at: consumeraffairs@ofgem.gov.uk
    Originally posted by Consumerist
    Thanks. Final bill produced, they have switched over to their standard rate for the intervening days, as they said they would. Even though they have stopped taking the DD, the final bill still shows a small credit due to me. Will see how long it takes to pay that before raising a complaint.
    Even though I knew they took the monthly payments in advance, I had forgotten the effect of that. Now I've gone to a (bigger) supplier who take payments in arrears, I've got a month's holiday in outgoing utility costs, which is nice.
    • katka1
    • By katka1 22nd May 19, 8:16 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    katka1
    I've been with Avro for just under a year. When I switched, the process was very easy, no complaints here. I've found that they are over estimating the usage, so I'm paying £52 a month, whereas my bills in the winter months, with higher gas usage, were around £40.
    I did ask for a refund of part of the credit in my account, it took a while for them to reply, but the money did appear in my bank account. I am now switching to another provider, hope that it goes smoothly.

On a side note, their website is shocking by today's standards and they keep sending meter reading reminders even if I submitted the readings for the month already.
    • bplp
    • By bplp 22nd May 19, 9:13 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    bplp
    Exit Fee
    This is the message I sent to Avro:
    I've noticed that your Simple and Super Savvy rates ...TCR 15.103 & 3.641
    are cheaper than the ones I presently pay on Simple and MSE ... TCR 15.88 & 4.17
    Can I do anything about this?

The answer was yes, but I'd still have to pay £30 exit fees per fuel, costing me £60 to change internally to a better rate.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 22nd May 19, 9:52 AM
    • 5,221 Posts
    • 2,606 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . Final bill produced, . . .
    So now they should have 10 working days to refund your credit balance or automatically pay £30 compensation.

In MSE's article on this provision, it was said that it applied only to switches which took place from 01 May so I am not sure whether it will also apply to final bills produced from 01 May.

My own view is that the Statutory Instrument which enabled the provision came into force from 01 May so should, in theory, apply to final bills produced from 01 May.

Perhaps you'll let us know what happens. This could get interesting !
    Last edited by Consumerist; 22-05-2019 at 9:56 AM.
    • wrongplanet
    • By wrongplanet 22nd May 19, 10:55 AM
    • 72 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    wrongplanet
    The answer was yes, but I'd still have to pay £30 exit fees per fuel, costing me £60 to change internally to a better rate.
    Originally posted by bplp
    I assumed the exit fee on this tariff was to pay for the intro fee paid to MSE and the resulting cashback.

Did you get your £25 cashback? I'm still waiting for mine and MSE/CEC ignore emails about it.
    • Benight
    • By Benight 22nd May 19, 11:53 AM
    • 313 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    Benight
    I assumed the exit fee on this tariff was to pay for the intro fee paid to MSE and the resulting cashback.
    Originally posted by wrongplanet

Early exit fees only ever apply if you exit from a supplier & tariff early (as the name says). Tariffs with early exit fees are usually for a period of 12 months or more.

Early exit fees apply to a tariff no matter how you switch to it, whether via MSE, another switching site (that may or may not pay cashback) or indeed if you switch direct using with the supplier.

MSE pays cashback (funded by the referral fee they are paid by the supplier) not usually earlier than 3 months after switching, and may not be until 6 months or more after switching.
    If you switch again early, before you are paid the cashback, MSE may not pay it at all.
    • wrongplanet
    • By wrongplanet 22nd May 19, 12:45 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    wrongplanet
    Early exit fees only ever apply if you exit from a supplier & tariff early (as the name says). T
    Originally posted by Benight
    Avro make a point about not charging exit fees but the MSE Collective one is an exception, hence my suggesting that the exit fee may have been imposed to help pay for the referral fee.

However Avro claim they never pay a referral fee, but MSE/CEC said switching to the Avro MSE Collective tariff would earn a £25 cashback. Seems that some switchers got it, others didn't including me. MSE/CEC ignore emails about it.

[Edit] They now say the don't charge exit fees on a direct switch
    Last edited by wrongplanet; 22-05-2019 at 1:55 PM. Reason: New information
    • Benight
    • By Benight 22nd May 19, 1:15 PM
    • 313 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    Benight
    Avro make a point about not charging exit fees but the MSE Collective one is an exception....
    Where do they make this point?

On their hompage currently it says:

Saving you money

• Low Priced Gas and Electricity tariffs
    • No Exit or Cancellation Fees
      when you switch direct
    • Monthly statements for your usage
    (My highlighting in red)

It fact it says the same at least twice on the homepage

No Exit or Cancellation Fees
    when you switch direct through us
    Last edited by Benight; 22-05-2019 at 1:19 PM.
    • wrongplanet
    • By wrongplanet 22nd May 19, 1:53 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    wrongplanet
    It fact it says the same at least twice on the homepage
    Originally posted by Benight
    So it does. They've given their website a bit of a makeover and added that - it certainly used not to say that.

In fact I challenged them about the MSE Collective exit fee on FB and suggested that they add something like this but can't find it ATM - I'll come back if/when I do.
    Last edited by wrongplanet; 22-05-2019 at 6:16 PM.
    • Luckystar42
    • By Luckystar42 22nd May 19, 2:05 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Luckystar42
    Avoid Avro
    Just wanted to warn anybody reading this thread to avoid Avro Energy at all costs. We are owed over £500 by them which is proving v challenging to get a refund on, the customer service is also appalling. After reading a lot of reviews online I now know we are not the only ones having this problem and they are very slow and obstructive about refunds. The call centre has limited opening hours and is understaffed, worst energy supplier I have ever experienced.
    • wrongplanet
    • By wrongplanet 22nd May 19, 6:25 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    wrongplanet
    ...I'll come back if/when I do.
    The reason I couldn't find the post - it was back in October last year - is they've deleted it.

But I do have the resulting PMs.

Avro: "...with regards to the tariff's exit fees- this again is something which has been set up by MSE for this 18 month fixed tariff. No tariffs which Avro offer directly to our customers, have early exit or cancellation fees."

Me: Still prudent to qualify it. [I.E.the statement that they have no exit fees.]
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

80Posts Today

1,985Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Oh if only one were brave/honest enough to say "my mental health" - in answer to the weakness question. I say this? https://t.co/RyihpzwPdY

• Been out with the little one, just got back and turned the #c4debate on. What have i missed? Who is winning?

• It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Follow Martin