Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 5th Nov 15, 10:32 AM
    • 1,303Posts
    • 6,341Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    In the nick of time
    • 5th Nov 15, 10:32 AM
    In the nick of time 5th Nov 15 at 10:32 AM
    Hello,
    I been reading debt free diaries and mortgage free diaries since the summer and I have been hugely inspired and reassured my dreams are achievable.

My husband was significantly in debt until 2 1/2 years ago through a failing business during the recession. Due to having equity in our home I was able (had to) to re-mortgage and pay off the debts. that's the simple version anyway.

During the time when my husbands income was negligible we had a lodger. Unfortunately those basement rooms require about 5K worth of work and are currently unlettable. I hope either to save this money by the spring, or maybe withdraw some capital from my husbands small pensions. He gets about 200 pcm plus 800 wage. He has his own debt to pay until June next year, then I gain 120 to go towards the mortgage.

I have a fairly good job and have always worked extra hours. My husband is working in a job on minimum wage. After many money related traumas and battles our relationship is fantastic.

My aim is to retire at 55 if I can. I am going to go hell for leather to make this happen. We trimmed our expenses years ago. We have the occasional slip up and overspend in fact this year has been an overspend on some big items whist shopping at lld1.

We have recently registered with airbnb to increase our income and may soon break even from initial outlay.

Sold house March 2018

Savings
    Rainy day 2000

Short term goals
    Buy new home, pay down mortgage to < 100k by end of fixed deal June 2019 (looking less likely as spent 10 weeks in temporary accommodation)
    NEW HOME page 32

KEY DATES
    Can access work pension 2025 (55 years)
    Have very small 2k private pension to close 2025
    DH state pension 2025, plus current pension of 200 pcm
    DH shares can be accessed from June 2020 and 2021but aim to cash them 2025
    my state pension 2037
    Official mortgage end 2030

http://www.whatsthecost.com/snowball.aspx

Mortgage OP
    June 2018 OP 278. 68
    June 30th OP 200.00 = 478.68
    July 2nd OP 34.14 = 512.82
    January 2019 = 4.99 = 517.81
    February 2019 = 4.96 = 522.77
    March 2019 = 7.71 = 530.48
    April 2019 = 3.00 = 533.48
    May 2019 = 6.71 = 540.21

Long term savings shares/ISA (without interest/growth)
    Me
    July 2018 100 & 143
    August 2018 100 =343
    September 2018 +100 = 443
    October 2018 +100 = 543
    November 2018 +100 = 643
    December 2018 +100 = 743
    January 2019 +100 =830 ( loss of value)
    February 2019 +100 = 930
    March 2019 + 100 = 923 + 141 = 1064
    April 2019 didn't happen (expired card)
    May 2019 + 100 = 1033 +143 = 1176
    June 1st 19 +100 = 1129 +139 = 1268

OH SM shares
    June 2018 1200 + 200 = 1400
    July 2018 +200 = 1600
    August +200 = 1800
    September +200 =2000
    October +200 = 2200
    November +200= 2400
    December xmas month off

Jan 2019 200 = 2600
    Feb 2019 200 =2800
    March 1st 2019 200 = 3000
    March 28th 2019 200 = 3200
    April 26th 2019 200 = 3400
    May 24th 2019 200 = 3600
    Last edited by Moneyfordreams; 31-05-2019 at 6:47 AM. Reason: to add link
Page 3
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 16th Jan 16, 5:35 PM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 6,341 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Just pondering over our lifestyle changes in the last 6 years or so. Longer really in the saving money stakes.

There are the big, dramatic ones such as in jobs and income for both of us, plus one daughter independent (almost) with her own daughter and our other daughter planning to go to university later this year. It's the little things that really have helped our dramas and chaos such as,

My husband has changed almost beyond recognition in his homeliness. He's chief cook and bottle washer and become quite careful with watching his pennies (not so much mine ) but he's at home supporting us all and making our days comfortable, then working 4-5 nights a week for a poop wage. He's fantastic with a shopping list

I have for many years compared our spends to my working life. " if I want x I will have to work a day, a week, a month....." OH now does this. mmm rows and breakages (once in a blue moon) when we were feisty.. I'd say "oh so I'll have to work XX to sort that won't I" hand on hips.

I rarely carry cash. I can go all week without spending, NSD's became the norm a long time ago.

I don't buy magazines,

I read online newspapers,

I always take packet lunches, So if I fancy a posh coffee every now and again I'll get one without guilt.

I used to have a hairdresser come every 5 weeks to cut and colour. 40. Now it's 5 for the colour as my older daughter does my hair (the last 3 months I've cut it myself :O) DD1 has been a hairdresser now for 5 years. But I have awful hair and want to grow it currently.

I bought some Walh clippers and cut my OH hair, 9.99 outlay now free.

We weekly shop at lidl but top up at Mr m , maximum 50 per week, for 3 (or 4 ) adults. I only buy things on offer and shop around more to get the best prices. Luckily we like more simple foods, well OH and DD2 does. I'm really happy for tuna pasta salad and rubber roast chicken. OH loves fish fingers or steak pie...

We walk to the supermarket or home and B to get our top ups. It's about a mile away so exercise and companionship.

I don't really batch cook. But I freeze meal size leftovers for me to take to work.

we write shopping lists

I tend to walk to mothers too, that's a mile each way.

Last year I stopped using my car for work and now use public transport. This at the time was saving us over 200 per month. I used to work 4 or 6 extra shifts pcm. By putting an extra 45 mins per day, I gain exercise in the 1 mile hike from the bus stop, and I only work 2 extra shifts now. I am getting weekend enhancements again after my job change.

We go to the pub about once a month. We used to go every weekend. my husband most days, mmm the bad old days. We stay in lots. 4 cans of cider twice a week at 1.99 and home brew wine for me. I needn't wonder why our mortgage is so high when he was in the pub by 3pm. But stress response hey??

Last year I spent 350 on clothes for myself. The last 100 was a leaving gift from my last job and I bought a jacket, and some fat tops. Home made wine is much more fattening than shop bought (Hahahaha). I spent probably less that half that on OH.

We have still had some lovely holidays. My OT has always been pretty constant. But 5 days in Rome not 7. Staying just out of centre but close to walk. Or Croatia, cheap flights fab room and hotel as we knew DD2 would stay in the room. Love camping and it's simplicity.

I don't buy hand bags anymore (my posh ones rarely get used ...LV PR Gu )

But I do have Sky (full package) I love....
    a huge mortgage
    an safety net EF which is better than nothing of 1800
    lovely girls hard working in different ways.
    A Slave (OH) Ok... a supportive husband
    a shiney new job which I really enjoying and can only get better
    My iPhone

Oh and our new lodger may just need a few ground rules laying down.
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 16th Jan 16, 5:40 PM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 6,341 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Yes SJ
    I'll leave that spreadsheet fiddle until tomorrow as I haven't quite got the hang of it

hope you and your wife are resting
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 20th Jan 16, 9:43 AM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 6,341 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    All my January obstacles are out of the way. Nights weren't too hard, even the extra shift was ok.

My exam yesterday was alright, I didn't revise so I missed a couple of questions. I had planned to revise Monday..... then I slept the day away. We went to see The Revernant Monday night. Bad timing but DD2 loves Leo, and it was OH only night off. Then I had a night of no sleep at all so my cram time Tuesday am was none existent. So on the hole fluffing 2 questions wasn't bad at all. They were about things I had no/very limited experience in so I couldn't even pretend.

Freezer inventory completed yesterday, we have tons of food. Will walk to the shops in a bit, visit mother and pick up some spuds. Cottage pie for tea.... or could turn into curried mince.

We don't need a full shop this week. spent 9 in homeBarg@in yesterday on toiletries. Our new best friend, I mean our lodger asked to come with us. It's about a mile walk away along the sea front. We do it often, anyhow he struggled to carry his shopping back... Maybe he'll give us a wide berth in future .

Last day off today then I'm working 9 days until my next days off. Hopefully I won't need to spend much in that time. Payday is Monday, then back to normal for February. Rent day Saturday

My spending for the basement is complete. I just need to catch our plumber who is a bit like the Scarlet Pimpernel to get hold of to fit the kitchen radiator. I'm consoling myself by not paying for warmth in there.

Better get moving or I'll be stuck to this sofa all day.
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 24th Jan 16, 10:12 AM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 6,341 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Payday tomorrow. No surprises really on the amount, I've already looked at my online payslip to see what I'll be getting

Also I got paid for last weeks night shift on Friday, which is the quickest I've ever received any salary. The downside is I don't have any shifts pending payment meaning I'll have to work more

I do have to speak to payroll as I think they have deducted money from my main salary to cover tax shortfalls in the extra shifts (classed as second job). I think I need to clarify and change this. 5 or so years ago I received a tax bill for 1700 for their errors. I don't want to be put in that position again.

2nd week of rent, hurrah, this is to go towards the mortgage. I do have to keep reminding myself as I'm thinking CC also. the 0% is up in August, so ideally I would like a big chunk off that gone.

Last weeks night shift money has been put into birthday / xmas pot (will be birthdays this half of the year) mind you DD1's birthday in Feb and mine and OH's in March. It won't last long.

OH brought home 5p loaves from work. Last nights tea was roast beef baguette with salad mayo and peri peri sauce 30p worth

May well do another for my work tea today
    • CathT
    • By CathT 24th Jan 16, 11:14 AM
    • 6,056 Posts
    • 42,226 Thanks
    CathT
    Hi, having a combination of lodger and air bnb is going to be brilliant for the op's. I think I am in the same pension scheme as you, we originally got the choice to stay on the old scheme but now I believe we are moving over anyway! I started in 2005. I am hoping to get a healthy pension and at least semi-retire at 55 like most staff do but can't see that being a possibility in 20+ years unfortunately!
    June 2019 - part 1 - 69,271 part 2 - 43,690
    Total - 112,961 101 months to go!
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 24th Jan 16, 12:28 PM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 6,341 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Hi Cath ,probably the same pension. I can't believe I'm too young to stay. it's such a shame you buy into things and then they change the rules ... Mind you so did my OH

Our last lodger stayed 5 years. We are hoping this young man stays a few years too. X
    • jodles16
    • By jodles16 24th Jan 16, 1:23 PM
    • 1,442 Posts
    • 4,367 Thanks
    jodles16
    Hey Moneyfordreams, you are doing so well with airbnb and having a lodger! You will definately reach your goals as your determined and work so hard!

Best of luck,

Jodles
    MFW2017 #29 1200.24/4524
    MFiT #66
    Overall aim 10,124.20/21,743 (156,000)
    2016- Jan-177,472, Apr-173,195.04, July- 171,417.47 Oct- 169,366
    2017- Jan- 167,347.80 Apr- July- Oct-

• Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 24th Jan 16, 10:06 PM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 6,341 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Thank you Jodles16,
    We do work hard, but over the years in our youth we spent on fun and our babies. The last 10 years have been keeping our heads above water. I'm excited now to have our direction firmly pointed at the mortgage. As has been said on here before, whilst keeping a tight reign on budgeting we can find cash to ensure our quality of life is enjoyable x
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 26th Jan 16, 5:28 PM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 6,341 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    So payday yesterday and my bills were paid by 00:04 hrs. That's a record even for me!!

Sent 300 to CC, 40 to DD2, 40 school lunches, 40 pocket money DD2, 100 in entertainment pot (150 in total), 200 in ISA (EF 2000), Birthday/xmas account already had 100 but that will be spent next week or so. I'm waiting for Tuesday's figures before I overpay. I think I can get our mortgage into the 179K's
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 28th Jan 16, 11:32 AM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 6,341 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Feeling a bit meh yesterday, just work stuff.... and pride I think. My learning the ropes is not happening quickly enough

Even more miserable when I went to Express shop and left my blueberries (1.50) on the counter and didn't realise until I was on the bus home.

Came home and drank wine, ate crisps and chocolate... never considered myself a comfort eater before but there you go... I was comforted myfitnesspal would be steaming if I logged it so I'm choosing to blank it out instead. Hopefully the 13000 steps a day will counteract some of the damage.

Day 8 in work today, can't wait for Saturday. Well tomorrow afternoon really . Will only be off the weekend but it is much needed. Booked in my February extras to make sure I don't not do any.

Airbnb this weekend. It does sometimes seem a lot of washing and prepping for just one night. With the added extras and cost of machine we probably see about 25. Its the only time the heating stays on!!

Hopefully the errant plumber will fit our kitchen radiator this Saturday. Well we live in hope
    • SueP19
    • By SueP19 28th Jan 16, 11:54 AM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 14,488 Thanks
    SueP19
    Feeling a bit aggrieved this week. bit of a spat with OH and we're not quite over it. Definitely back in the sell mode. Downsize, small mortgage no money worries. I felt unwell at work sleep has been awful 3- 4 hours per night, and I asked for a lift home rather than the train. So he came (in my car that I pay for), I was 15 mins late leaving due to last minute job I couldn't refuse, as I walked out of the building I had had 4 missed calls, I text to say on way, I looked across the road and he was getting out of the car, he looked furious, properly slammed the car door and paced the length of the car. He didn't know I had seen him. I'd asked for help as I was unwell. Didn't know I prompted so much anger in him. So I cried (I was feeling awful) told him where to b88gger off to, I went to bed at 4pm and not really spoken since. He works nights/ me days. So good excuse not to. He has cost me so much financial and physically through the constant extra work I have had to do to keep a roof over our heads. Thankfully our children are lovely young adults but I've missed their childhoods working 50 hour weeks. See martyrdom again. blurrggghhhhhhhhh.
    :|
    Originally posted by Moneyfordreams
    Just having a quick read of your lovely diary and have to say been there done that, have the t-shirt that many times I was thinking of setting up a stall selling them, very MSE
    Mort Oct 15 70,353 66,422 58,804 MF Dec 31 Jun 31(191 176 mnths)
    EF 2016 700/1,000 Debt May 09 30,217Oct 17 14,093Nov 18 6,336.12[/B]
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 30th Jan 16, 3:00 PM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 6,341 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Thanks Sue,

Thankfully peace reigns most of the time. Unless we get visits from DD1 with her daughter and her basset hound puppy who wants to eat everyone's ankles!!! them we all get a bit frazzled...

OH is quite on board with money saving lately, he picked up a slow cooker for 9 from his workplace last week. He made beef stew earlier in the week which was fab.... however my diet coke (not chicken) pork has been cooking away since 10 am and doesn't seem so good.... I will have to try to reduce the sauce throw something in to thicken it and spice it ... and turn it into some kind of eastern spiced pork dish.....

He also managed to buy 6 cans of lynx deodorant (compressed) for 10p each.... they will save money eventually, but he barely uses the 6 xmas pressie ones he still has ..

I have asked him to hold off from the cheap bread buying until next week... we seem to have filled the bottom 2 drawers of the freezer

Yay lodger boy paid another week... I can't wait to do totals next week.. 80 to OP mortgage.

BNB money tomorrow will go to CC 30

Since we have lost all of our storage space to room lets, we have decided to get loft ladders fitted to make for easier access...... that money to my EF is certainly on a piece of elastic Last time I priced them up they were 250 fitted. I hope that's still the case. We don't seem to have had a local paper to check.

New wine will be ready to bottle next Friday ... lager needs to be binned
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 1st Feb 16, 6:34 PM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 6,341 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    I'm looking forward to tomorrow so I can do the totals for the month. Hopefully will have a good reduction.

We have had a enquiry from a French student for a 2 month stay May to July. I know we need to be cautious, however it gives us a bit of excitement. Plus it's so far in advance there is always the risk of cancellation. This girl is going to clarify her dates before formally booking.

We did get an enquiry last year off a 15 year old Brazilian girl/ stunner who wanted to live with us for free and do all of our house work!!!! She looked like she would eat us alive... needless to say we declined that request.

My diet is not going well at all... just got home from work to pie chips and onion gravy that my husband has made. After 13000 steps daily I'm disappointed but not surprised my weight is static. slimming world Thursday I think.

Pulse surveys amuse me, took 10 in November... have 7.25 now., I'm holding off for the next 10.
    • SueP19
    • By SueP19 2nd Feb 16, 10:39 AM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 14,488 Thanks
    SueP19
    I stepped onto the weight wagon again yesterday having gained 2st since September

Mine is all wheat, devil's food that

Good luck

(ps the Brazilian sounds scary )
    Mort Oct 15 70,353 66,422 58,804 MF Dec 31 Jun 31(191 176 mnths)
    EF 2016 700/1,000 Debt May 09 30,217Oct 17 14,093Nov 18 6,336.12[/B]
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 2nd Feb 16, 6:11 PM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 6,341 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    I seem to be off the wagon more than on!! I'm 2 stone more than I want to be......

yes Brazilian lady/ girl very gorgeous and very scarey.....

I hope the French young lady is a young lady
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 3rd Feb 16, 8:53 AM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 6,341 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Well French student has formally booked our room. That should be 933!!! Now pitfalls will be we need to feed her more than just toast.... and tax, mmmm I haven't really looked into it before as I'm thinking rent a room and I can earn 4200 pa. We do have the receipts somewhere for all of the equipment we put in the room. hidden so well :/

Now we have a lodger again we may well achieve that sum early in the financial year. That's if he stays. I don't now how much I can claim for washing, wear and tear, food and drink. ???

This months totals are

mortgage 180430 daily interest 11.64
    CC 5370 0%
    car loan 4735 18 pcm

= 190535
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 4th Feb 16, 4:27 PM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 6,341 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    OH's pay day tomorrow. We are expecting it to be healthier than last month, no sickness and 2 extras , although I doubt it will reach 4 figures.

The rent Saturday should cover the initial outlay for the basement lodger
    Monday should have 50 back from DD1 (only 100 owed after this ((well reduced))
    Airbnb Saturday 30 .....
    so as much to remind me not anyone else Airbnb is for CC, DD1 money is for CC and lodger money is mortgage.... phew

I sort OH wages from the household bills account, it's only because of the no council tax this month I haven't had to top it up....

Our EF savings pot has that rubber 200 in... planning to get loft ladders ASAP, so any extra from OH wages can go to those. That's if the local free paper gets delivered.. they had numbers of local firms who will fit them. But at least we have that EF. The kitchen and laundry room (upstairs utility) look like workshops with all tools and Faff in them..

OH is very impressed at our 4500 total debt reduction in the last 3 months.... especially as we've helped DD1 and DD2 and Xmas. I've been reminding him that later this year his pocket money will be reduced... I've told him we will direct that to DD2's uni fund so he's not too unhappy

the rubbish rules for my second job means I can't be confirmed for Sunday's extra morning shift. this is because they can't separate it from the afternoon shift I and already doing. However looking at my confusing messed up payslip with several hundreds of pounds deductions and advances .... I have noticed they took 74 pension that they shouldn't have... I imagine it would look that good after they have applied NI and tax :/
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 5th Feb 16, 9:26 AM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 6,341 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    hubby's wages in, so all the bills are covered for the month should have some left over towards the loft ladders... or the radiator... still trying to tie down the plumber...

He's brought home a 20p loaf this morning.. toast for breakfast..

Day off today. I've taken pork sausage meat out of the freezer, left over from Christmas.. I'll make a meat /sausage ball pasta bake for tea. I have some mozzarella left over from when I bought 3 for a pound at Heron foods.... and it is twice the size of my usual pack. I took it out of the freezer last weekend to make the 90 second pizza in a cup... that was surprisingly good
    Last edited by Moneyfordreams; 05-02-2016 at 9:27 AM. Reason: .
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 5th Feb 16, 10:27 AM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 6,341 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Just added a signature... not smart or clever just facts hoping to refine it with time

Off to the shops. Hoping for a low spend day although my OH has got up to join me which might scupper things. We need fake berroca, 99p, a cheap trowel to screed kitchen floor (doors completed last June and floor tiles a mess) my husband was a flooring contactor.

We also need some steriliser as its wine bottling day
    Mortgage restart June 2018 119950
    May 19 mortgage 111600, 4700cc, 6000, 1400, car 6550.
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 5th Feb 16, 6:04 PM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 6,341 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Wine bottled, all 30 of them!!.. As basement out of bounds I hope OH gets the shed put up soon.. I only bought it a month ago

Our kitchen keeps getting more cluttered.... loft ladders booked for 23rd feb, local company 200... wish we'd got them sooner!!!

Lodger paid early so we are now in profit from renting basement (16).. however I haven't calculated extra heating and hot water. Our January electricity is on par with December, although our gas is up by 10.. so considering its been quite cold at times we've not done too badly.

So 80 paid off mortgage... on Martin's calculator that's 44 in interest We're saving
    mmm makes me hopeful for my OT .... if I do 2 extra shifts per month (approx. 200) I will save 111 on interest payments.
    Mortgage restart June 2018 119950
    May 19 mortgage 111600, 4700cc, 6000, 1400, car 6550.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,741Posts Today

7,839Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• RT @justinbones: Just looking at how the bad weather may be impacting business and the economy. Thankfully someone has already looked at th?

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @EmmaBarnett from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin