Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 5th Nov 15, 10:32 AM
    • 1,472Posts
    • 6,997Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    In the nick of time
    • 5th Nov 15, 10:32 AM
    In the nick of time 5th Nov 15 at 10:32 AM
    Updated summer 2019

Hello,
    I been reading debt free diaries and mortgage free diaries since the summer and I have been hugely inspired and reassured my dreams are achievable.

My husband was significantly in debt until early 2013 through a failing business during the recession. Due to having equity in our home I was able (had to) to re-mortgage and pay off the debts. that's the simple version anyway.

During the time when my husbands income was negligible we had a lodger. We moved house in 2018 to downsize and reduce the mortgage. We had a lodger and after info from here did Airbnb for a couple of years.

He gets about 200 pcm pensions plus 900 wage, of this 300 is saved this year into share schemes. I'm also saving in S&S ISA

I have a fairly good job and have always worked extra hours. After many money related traumas and battles our relationship is fantastic.

My aim is to retire at 55 if I can. I am going to go hell for leather to make this happen. We trimmed our expenses years ago. We have the occasional slip up and overspend in fact this year has been an overspend on some big items whist shopping at lld1 and Aldi.

Mortgage OPs are on hold whilst we renovate the house which needed twice as much as we anticipated.

Sold house March 2018

NEW HOME page 32 , May 2018

KEY DATES
    Can access work pension 2025 (55 years)
    Have very small 2k private pension to close 2025
    DH state pension 2025, plus current pension of 200 pcm
    DH shares can be accessed from June 2020 and 2021but aim to cash them 2025
    my state pension 2037
    Official mortgage end 2032

http://www.whatsthecost.com/snowball.aspx

Mortgage OP
    June 2018 - May 2019= 540.21

First Direct
    August 2019 9.01 = 9.01
    September 7.90 = 15.91
    Oct 26.61 + 6.61 = 49.13
    Long term savings shares/ISA (without interest/growth)
    Me
    July 2018 100 & 143 - August 1st 2019 +100 = 1468
    Sept 100 = 1568
    Oct 100 = 1668

OH SM shares
    June 2018 1200 + 200 = 1400
    July 2018 +200 = 1600
    August +200 = 1800
    September +200 =2000
    October +200 = 2200
    November +200= 2400
    December xmas month off

Jan 2019 200 = 2600
    Feb 2019 200 =2800
    March 1st 2019 200 = 3000
    March 28th 2019 200 = 3200
    April 26th 2019 200 = 3400
    May 24th 2019 200 = 3600
    June 21st 2019 300 - 3900
    July 19th 2019 +300- 4200
    August 16th 2019 +300= 4500
    September 13th + 300 =4800
    October 11th +300 = 5100
    Last edited by Moneyfordreams; 14-10-2019 at 1:47 PM. Reason: to add link
Page 2
    • CathT
    • By CathT 13th Dec 15, 5:45 PM
    • 6,206 Posts
    • 43,149 Thanks
    CathT
    Hi moneyfordreams, just found your diary and wanted to wish you luck. I think you might do the job I used to, I do miss enhancements!

Sounds like airBnB might be a nice little earner!
    Oct 2019 - part 1 - 66,785 part 2 - 42,678
    Total - 109,463 97 months to go!
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 13th Dec 15, 5:55 PM
    • 3,601 Posts
    • 30,239 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Hello and a belated welcome.
    Your life sounds super busy and somewhat stressful.
    Dave Ramsey is very good on the topic of couples "being on the same page".
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 15th Dec 15, 6:44 PM
    • 1,472 Posts
    • 6,997 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Thank you for making me welcome

Life has always been busy. Working with so many parents who just juggle everything I know I'm not on I'm not on my own .

Will give Dave Ramsey a read. I think we are generally good but OH does need reminding gently and often that luxuries are luxuries, but then I probably do too. I have given him total control of the housework and the kitchen this is not always successful but a useful get out clause for me for that he gives me the finances.

We have been away a couple of days, budgeted for on the whole. I have spent 250 on clothes this year for me. I managed to add another 92 for that. pretty much because of nothing fitting me.
    The Christmas markets were fabulous. refrained from buying cheese and salamis that only I will eat.
    Bargain shoes for OH at 33% off. Should last him years.
    Our 18 year old DD won't say what she wants for Christmas. We went to a fabulous underwear shop and bought her some lovely new underwear. She is a quiet girl and not show offy, Tried to pick pretty but sensible sets with shorts. Got a free teddy bear for spending over a certain amount then asked for student discount of 10%.

I don't think present wise I have any more to buy. Need to pick up a tree tomorrow and decorate. mind you we have the baby tomorrow, all day, so that will be a challenge. And other half back at work tomorrow for 8 nights. I'm not in work until my extra shift on Sunday as I'm on annual leave. Should do a bit of studying exam in January..

My husband works night shifts for a supermarket. his next night off will be Christmas eve.!!! He swapped a couple of shifts to get time off this last weekend. Having a film night at home before we are back to working opposites.
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 15th Dec 15, 8:19 PM
    • 6,850 Posts
    • 47,443 Thanks
    newgirly
    Hello another belated mfw'er wishing you best of luck with the new diary. I have a dd the same age as your youngest studying the same thing
    MFW 21

74,498.77left target 10k/ 6,537.10in 2019
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 16th Dec 15, 9:02 PM
    • 1,472 Posts
    • 6,997 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Thank you Newgirly

She got a university offer today. Very pleased for her. Now I hope she pulls her socks up and stops begging me to let her leave school.

I put the Christmas tree up today. I finished decorating it then it fell over :| so had to fix it.

I'm a bit twitched with all the lights being on. I'm hoping the predicted mild December will balance things out with the gas bill. Our gas & electric bill was increased to 200 pcm a few years ago. I switched providers and reduced to 175 at that time. Since our lodger has moved out, summer and a few radiators have been turned off we've reduced some more. My recent swap is 111 pcm, however they were 2 months late in collecting payments , even after I emailed to remind them.

I have pretty much spent our Christmas budget and have 100 left in holiday fund. My December payday is next Monday, then it will be the usual long wait until January's salary arrives. I'm determined not to add to the credit card.
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 19th Dec 15, 11:46 AM
    • 1,472 Posts
    • 6,997 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    I seem to have spent all the money in the various pots.

I have my EF down to 1700,
    CB 83 (not to touch until January) January's and onwards will be diverted to DD2 uni fund
    17 in my purse
    Car service money of 99 (due mid January)
    Payday Monday but a basic wage without OT

But I have a full fridge and cupboards
    I only need one more token gift for my DD1's BF

I also think my husband has moths in his wallet. January I will be keeping my purse closed and pointing him in the direction of the supermarket.

I worked out our budget again (do this weekly out of habit and because I like it ) and we should be all systems go for a 500 mortgage OP
    Hopefully I can put 200 in the EF also. However I do seem to be using this as a overdraft lately, so it may not stay there long.

Our Airbnb booking cancelled this weekend so no extra 60 unfortunately. Hopefully in the new year this will pick up again.
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 22nd Dec 15, 12:24 PM
    • 1,472 Posts
    • 6,997 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Payday yesterday. I can't wait until the 1st to see whether by estimates are accurate.
    I don't need to buy anything for a while. Hoping to keep my purse sealed shut for a good few weeks.
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 26th Dec 15, 2:48 PM
    • 1,472 Posts
    • 6,997 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    'twas a lovely day, yesterday, and a peaceful start to day.

I've made turkey soup with the scraps and OH has carved up the other half a crown enough for 3 family dinners. He's having ham and chips (and pigs in blankets) just now.

We bought more than required as we were supposed to be having visitors who had to cancel. Their son in hospital sooooo I bought him a "tablet" to watch and restarted skygo.

Our friends have invited us for a drink locally. it will only be one or 2 as we are babysitting this evening. It will be my only festive outing as I'm working New Year.
    • norfolkdream
    • By norfolkdream 26th Dec 15, 3:24 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 2,951 Thanks
    norfolkdream
    Another belated welcome from me. Im an old rebranded and almost finished my mortgage so like to come and say the end might seem far away but the more you work at it the closer it will come.

Airbnb sounds great, I was told about it years ago (to stay not to rent out) but was too chicken to use it. I am really curious how it all works. Do you get people from all over the world? Have you had any language barriers yet? Do you have to do them breakfast? Do they have their own key to come and go?

Good luck with your early retirement plan
    MFW 16 No 33
    2016 OP Paid/Target 2063/2063 (100%) COMPLETE
    Mortgage Free - Apr 2016 -DONE!
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 29th Dec 15, 11:30 AM
    • 1,472 Posts
    • 6,997 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Thanks Norfolkdrream,

Airbnb is almost too easy to do. It has an app easier than facebook were you can upload pictures of your room or area, you put up your price and your listing is visible!! I did ours on my phone.

We haven't met any language barriers yet. We bought a small fridge, kettle, microwave and toaster. We leave tea, coffee bread, butter and biscuits in the room and are rarely disturbed. We list on site which parts of the house are available to use, and we have listed the kitchen as out of bounds, however we have had lovely conversations with guests in the kitchen as its the first room you see when entering our home.

Airbnb want honesty and you can pre-approve or decline guests. Although we live in a lovely quite spot, we are a short distance from a popular city. I will explain to people the difficulties they will face during there planned stay if it's for something specific.

We do give guests a house key and a room key, but our rooms are unlocked. Airbnb insure for 600,000 I believe, a lot of trust is required. Mind you after years of struggling financially we don't have much of great value, everything is very old They book on their card and paypal payout the day after their stay.
    We have a booking tonight. They are travelling from Scotland to London and want to stop half way to visit the city. My husband is busy making the beds as I type.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can overpay the mortgage what I need to on Monday next week. I did stump up the cash for my nephew sick bed pressie,. mainly to give my sister a break.

My husband is due to treat me today, due to unplanned booking our day out has turned into evening out. I will leave my purse at home

30 can then go to cc tomorrow. If I overpay 230 more than I do already this will bring the balance down by 1000 per month. I'm hopeful but apprehensive too..... role on Monday
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 31st Dec 15, 9:39 AM
    • 1,472 Posts
    • 6,997 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    As they left yesterday, the guests said they were so pleased they will rebook in March. Nice our efforts, however small are noticed. OH was thrilled to bits.

I seem to be either thinking I have more money than I have then forgetting bills I need to sort out. It must be the early December pay that's thrown me. School lunches, school travel, my travel...

Anyhow the upshot after going around in circles is I have less than I thought. I will still overpay, but it will scrape to 200. I will probably add the extra 20 to get the round 1K off but it will leave the rest of the month tight. We will need to eat from the cupboards and the freezer and stick to a shopping list. Kinda normal then I do have my ISA that I put in and withdraw most months so we won't quite be on the breadline.

I'm conscious of the fact that if I don't make a bigger impact soon, the knock on effect will be more years at work. My husband is 56 and I'm 45, I'm really hoping he doesn't have to work nights in a supermarket by then. He is currently buying shares in said supermarket which seem to be half the selling price. I have told him if he could get to a year or so annual bills he can early retire at 65 !! (I'd insert aghast smiley if I could).

I don't want to get to 55 and spend all of my reduced lump sum on an outstanding mortgage, (reduced because I would be taking 32 years not 40 and also reduced because I will be booted out of the good pension in April as I'm 2 years too young to stay and put in newer rubbishy one. Luckily I get to keep the 55 rights).

So I'm already 9 months behind. My OH gets paid in a week...it'll be fine

I'm looking forward to January's pay already. It will be a healthy one with 4 extra shifts in .

I just have to get through work based training, a mock exam, final exam in uni, couple of hospital visits for mother, a week of nights for the first time in 6 years and stick to a diet before it arrives.

Happy New Year everyone xxx
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 4th Jan 16, 8:29 PM
    • 1,472 Posts
    • 6,997 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Change of plan... well only a little.....

Boxing day we were asked by a young friend (more so of friends) if he could move in with us. He knows our basement in vacant, pending work, however he is an apprentice builder and feels he could complete some of the jobs. He's been to see our rooms today and wants to move in next week

job 1) new vinyl flooring for small shower room. Offcut will do, seen some in a local shop to check out.

job 2) new vinyl flooring for kitchen area, again cheap offcut

Job 3) Carpet for bedroom area. My husband used too be in flooring business. He can get one at cost price from a guy he knows. its very small. or we could just ask at shop mentioned above.

Job 4) plaster where the wall was destroyed by condensation. Make do polyfill@ looks a kip!!

Job 5) buy a small fridge freezer to fit under a stairwell

Job 6) buy a small cooker. possibly table top. As a young man I'm sure he'll want to cook a pizza now and again. He can use our kitchen in the event of a gourmet meal requirement (HAHAHA)

Job 7) swap doors from internal cupboard to shower room

Job 8) sink unit casing has blown in places. will need new eventually.

Job 9) redecorate

Job 10) recover sofa and chair.

I'm hoping to get all this for under 400. Even less if possible (aiming for 300 really). The big job for me will be getting the motivation to recover the sofa. I won't work extras this weekend as this is an investment for our new lodger. I'll get the cloth on Wednesday. We did try to dye the covers but our previous lodger left them in an awful state, that dying didn't cover the stains. urghhhh

4, 7, 8 & 9 he can do

The upshot of spending this will be 80 per week!!!! YAAAY
    This WILL be going into mortgage overpayments.
    The Airbnb money will go to the credit card (We've had 2 this week)

I will still be able to overpay from our salary's however this months bigger OP will be delayed to fund above.
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 6th Jan 16, 9:56 PM
    • 1,472 Posts
    • 6,997 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Our Airbnb room is 30 per night, private ensuite rooms with fantastic views, large room, TV, fridge, WiFi, toaster, kettle, microwave. We leave bottled water, bread, butter, decent biscuits, Tea, coffee, milk, cappuccino. Feedback was could they have jam also!! :P

Young man lodger (23) is moving in in 2 days

He has told me a while ago in his very younger days he was a little s*d, our friends gave him a job and had belief in him and he is motivated by the kindness and support he received to improve his future. Well long may that continue. He brought his dad around to check the place out the other day ( they were thrilled). hope they like the changes even more

So I've spent a packet :/

New flooring for kitchen area and shower room 70. OH has laid this. He has also got out the sugar soap to scrub everywhere.

Bargainous cloth for me to recover grotty sofa covers previous lodger ruined (cushions underneath are good) 4.99 per metre then 30% off. 12 metres 40. I wont achieve this by Friday but maybe I'll get a chair covered before work tomorrow as I cut the cloth before work today.

New half and half fridge freezer for under the counter 119 from curry's. I bought 2nd hand last time and the previous lodger left everything such a mess I couldn't do it again.
    Keeping the old carpet given it a good hoover and the laminate floor will do fine. We do have carpet we got a while ago for our stairs and landing that will do his stairs and hall area.

Will need paint at some point, there are 2 purple alcoves ???

It may sound a lot but it is only a studio flat really.

Can't wait until A) I get paid B) he pays his rent

Didn't I say my purse was closed a few short weeks ago? Don't have time to do overtime this week. I'm hoping to add a night shift onto my week next week to get it over with.

Oh yeah, I suppose we better tell the estate agent to take the house off the market x
    Last edited by Moneyfordreams; 06-01-2016 at 9:59 PM. Reason: .
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 10th Jan 16, 9:55 AM
    • 1,472 Posts
    • 6,997 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Well young man moved in yesterday. He must have told me 10 times I wouldn't know he was there!! Hahaha , He was very nervous and it was kind of funny how he was telling me he would put a log burner in my basement ?? mmm

Still waiting fridge delivery, though it was booked for yesterday they are bringing it today (I hope).

Airbnb is an older gentleman He seemed happy with the room (except the stairs) He has a lady friend in the area. Maybe he'll come again . There is a high tide and the waves are huge against the promenade. He told me he is an old seafarer so I imagine (hoping) he's watching and enjoying the "show"

My OH pay day was slightly disappointing, only 700 for the 4 weeks as he had taken 2 nights off sick. Good job no council tax next month, mind you he's making them up the next 2 weeks working 5 nights a week.

My extra shifts worked in December were paid Friday too. Lovely surprise but now I'm confused about end of the month salary. I'm kind of watching and waiting really. Reading SJ's diary reminded me about daily interest. So this morning I rounded down our mortgage to the next hundred and paid 80. That's about a weeks worth of interest

OH had special offers on in supermarket this week. He asked what he should buy then doubled it!!! We now have 48 toilet rolls, and 4 new bath sheets and 4 hand towels. He told me they were turquoise blue. They look more like fisher price blue!! 12 for the towels and 9 for the loo rolls (andrex) . The towels won't go with any colour we have. So maybe I'll put one pair/set in Airbnb room and keep the other for university kit for our daughter.

Hopefully young mans rent won't take too long to appear. Then my OP's can start to make a bigger difference
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 10th Jan 16, 11:21 AM
    • 1,472 Posts
    • 6,997 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    forgot to add spent last few days covering the 6 cushions for the sofa and chair. Loads of left over fabric. shame I bought the cheapest rather than the nicest!!

Airbnb man want to come again, "How much for a month?"
    Then said "can we have marmalade in the room?"

So consensus of opinion is buy jam and marmalade also ...

Today we deserve a rest day , however our granddaughter is visiting and will no doubt run us ragged. She is also staying the night so sleep will be missing tonight .
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 10th Jan 16, 5:43 PM
    • 1,472 Posts
    • 6,997 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Daughter with toddler has bought a basset hound puppy. We now have our granddaughter, our schnoodle dog, and an 8 week old puppy running around. The basset hound is the worse ankle biter!!

Thankfully hubby snoozing on the couch and our 18 yr old is being a superstar and keeping all 3 of them entertained with her friend.

I logged onto my NW CC account. It seemed I over paid last month... I did say I couldn't keep up!! well it was to be paid off except for my friends concert tickets (that she's paying for)... I was a 110 pound over... I knew there balances confused me...

Anyhow I've added another 100 to the OP's to make it 280 OP for January. I would like to add another 50 to that but I'm holding out for either rent or just to see how it goes
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 10th Jan 16, 8:04 PM
    • 3,151 Posts
    • 16,121 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    Wow you've had a busy Christmas and new year. All good plans for chipping away at those balances. As you mention daily interest reductions start to look significant.

My mini schnauzer is my only peace at times, and when I was off at Christmas I walked his legs an inch shorter.
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into something less...
    54 months - Total Reduction: 57,426.72
    Was: 136,000..........Now: 78,573.28
    MFiT-T5 #8 - 28.06% of 23,000
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 12th Jan 16, 10:19 PM
    • 1,472 Posts
    • 6,997 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Thanks SJ, we live in a great place to walks dogs, mind you our little dog is a bit of a nuisance when he sees other dogs off the lead. He goes crackers

Not really got much going on this week. I start night shifts tomorrow for the first time in 6 years. I hope this job proves worth it Even added an extra night at the end do better money,,,, I think gets paid fortnightly in arrears. Payday is early again this month. They did that last year too, to ease the January burdens.

Child benefit will not be touched now until DD2 goes to uni. I'm assuming this will stop around June time. then I will need to add a bit more to her uni fund, for accommodation and initial costs. I did lock the rest in an ISA she can't get until November.

Need to study some more this week. Revision class today was fine. Exam next week I'm feeling a bit too calm about it. I'll probably panic on the day. I just need to revise
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 16th Jan 16, 4:23 PM
    • 1,472 Posts
    • 6,997 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    All has been quiet this week. I've been on my first set of nights for 6 years. Thankfully they have good and interesting, so I'm doing an extra one tonight . Well I booked it over a week ago so I wouldn't back out.

Just received our first weeks rent. 80 Yay. Now little catch is he was supposed to have a halogen cooker. Then his dad was getting him one. Now it seems I have to (? scratchy head smiley :/)

He has seen something in B&M for 45 apparently, so hubby getting him it on Monday. Hope it will keep him out of our kitchen.

I've topped up the change to 50 to OP.
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 16th Jan 16, 4:43 PM
    • 3,151 Posts
    • 16,121 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    Ooh overtime and rent money. I hear a bonus OP and spreadsheet fiddle on the way!
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into something less...
    54 months - Total Reduction: 57,426.72
    Was: 136,000..........Now: 78,573.28
    MFiT-T5 #8 - 28.06% of 23,000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

1,730Users online

Martin's Twitter