Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sally
    • By MSE Sally 24th Aug 15, 4:03 PM
    • 70Posts
    • 27Thanks
    MSE Sally
    Haggle with Virgin - our new guide
    • 24th Aug 15, 4:03 PM
    Haggle with Virgin - our new guide 24th Aug 15 at 4:03 PM

Hi all, we have new Haggle with Virgin guide, and we'd love to hear your feedback.

Just click reply below to share any info. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks for your help,

MSE Sally
    Last edited by MSE Megan F; 25-08-2015 at 3:06 PM.
Page 1
  • Meldie
    • 26th Aug 15, 9:57 PM
    Haggle with Virgin
    • 26th Aug 15, 9:57 PM

Hi....
    I have a monthly bill of 108 with Virgin and have tried haggling with them twice, with no positive outcome......I asked how I could reduce my bills, and since I have been a customer of theirs for probably 5-8 years now, (or maybe longer) a loyalty discount would have been appreciated. When I mentioned that I would seriously have to think about moving to Sky, they just didn't seem bothered ! I was just told that if I wanted to reduce my bill then I would have to loose the programmes

• trey456
    • 31st Aug 15, 5:50 PM
    • 31st Aug 15, 5:50 PM
    I was on 100 Mb broadband, TV XL, Phone XL for a long time, average monthly bill c 90 per month. Phoned several times and only got paltry discounts. Then I phoned to say I was leaving and they let me go. Set up BT as a replacement and then about four days after I left they phoned me up to offer me effectively same package (with upgrade of TiVo and router) for 50 per month. BT order was easy to cancel.
    I think Virgin have got cute to people reading this forum and then threatening to leave. Seems like you really need to leave before they offer you a good deal to stay.
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 1st Sep 15, 6:44 AM
    • 2,722 Posts
    • 2,412 Thanks
    donnac2558
    • 1st Sep 15, 6:44 AM
    • 1st Sep 15, 6:44 AM
    My problem is:

I have 19.50 loyalty going back years anyway.

So the moment I mention no I do not want sport or movies, they are lost.

I was offer Tivo (happy with my V+ box until it breaks down) and 125 boardband, I have 50 and don't need 125 anyway they are doubling the speed shortly. I have caller display which is very important to me, they wanted me to cut that. No thanks I see a weird number or Out Of Area I know not to pick up. Saving me 12 for a year, but I lose my loyality.

I have 50mg boardband, XL TV (no movies or sport), M phone, rarely use the latter anyway. My bill is usually around 68,73.
    • victor2
    • By victor2 1st Sep 15, 7:06 AM
    • 4,942 Posts
    • 3,316 Thanks
    victor2
    • 1st Sep 15, 7:06 AM
    • 1st Sep 15, 7:06 AM
    Before my annual renewal I always check what I could get an equivalent fibre based deal for (just broadband and phone). Phone them up and tell them I can get the same package with xxx for less. They have always passed me over to "retentions" and offered a better deal at a similar price to the alternative. I'm already lessening the use of my ntlworld email address in favour of a non-provider specific one, so will leave if I can see a worthwhile saving. Don't want the hassle and hidden cost of a new installation TBH...
    • alan17
    • By alan17 19th Nov 15, 5:31 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    alan17
    • 19th Nov 15, 5:31 PM
    • 19th Nov 15, 5:31 PM
    I also research before negotiating a deal.

I pay my line rental up front, this seems to give me a 12 month contract instead of the usual 18 months.

I think I will struggle this time to get it reduced from my research so far.

Broadband XL 200mb
    Tv 1 Tivo box, XL tv with Bt sport and sky sports (not sky sports HD)
    Phone M (weekends only)

Will update with my deal once I have spoke to them.
    I plan on reducing the broadband as I have no need for that speed.
    • DG1947
    • By DG1947 25th Nov 15, 2:30 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    DG1947
    • 25th Nov 15, 2:30 PM
    • 25th Nov 15, 2:30 PM
    Another little tip for long term customers with Virgin that worked for me when negotiating to add TV to my package was to bring this to their attention-worth 5 a month off for 18 months in my case-after which I will of course be going back to haggle again.
    • darkcloudi
    • By darkcloudi 27th Nov 15, 12:31 PM
    • 516 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    darkcloudi
    • 27th Nov 15, 12:31 PM
    • 27th Nov 15, 12:31 PM
    Just called Virgin and can't seem to get a good price out of them.

Currently pay 28 a month as I got a 5 discount till July 2016. Its going to go up by 3.xx in Feb due to the price increase. My line rental paid in advance for 2015.

Want to haggle a new deal before I pay the line rental upfront for 2016 as my 12 months are up with them on 8th Jan. (Been with them for 12 years now.)

My package:
    Phone XL
    SuperFibre50
    TV M
    Caller Display
    Talk 08 2 - Free calls to 0845/0870

Anyone got a good deal recently?
    • visidigi
    • By visidigi 27th Nov 15, 6:48 PM
    • 5,704 Posts
    • 3,575 Thanks
    visidigi
    • 27th Nov 15, 6:48 PM
    • 27th Nov 15, 6:48 PM

Currently pay 28 a month as I got a 5 discount till July 2016. Its going to go up by 3.xx in Feb due to the price increase. My line rental paid in advance for 2015.

Want to haggle a new deal before I pay the line rental upfront for 2016 as my 12 months are up with them on 8th Jan. (Been with them for 12 years now.)

My package:
    Phone XL
    SuperFibre50
    TV M
    Caller Display

Originally posted by darkcloudi
    Call them. Cancel.

30 days notice. Make sure they have a number they can reach you on. They will call you back.

You will never EVER get the best deal possible if you dont go through with the cancellation. If they dont call you in the 30 day notice period then you call and cancel the cancellation.

Nothing lost.

I am currently paying 30% less than list having been through the process for the 6th year running.
    • victor2
    • By victor2 28th Nov 15, 7:17 AM
    • 4,942 Posts
    • 3,316 Thanks
    victor2

My package:
    Phone XL
    SuperFibre50
    TV M
    Caller Display

Originally posted by darkcloudi
    I have never cancelled with them, but always find out what deals are available from a competitor, then call them and say I can get a similar service on BT Infinity (or similar) for xx. They then put me through to "retentions" who have always given me a deal to stay. I don't want to leave in reality, as it would involve a new installation and setting up of my network in the house. I don't really care about losing my ntlworld email address, as I have an alternative I use for most things, which is not tied to an ISP.
    Currently, I pay 15.50 per month after discount for Talk unlimited, Caller Display and Superfibre70 (free upgrade from 50). I pay 12 months line rental in advance, and have just paid for next year's at 164.
    • jem16
    • By jem16 28th Nov 15, 8:20 AM
    • 18,695 Posts
    • 11,505 Thanks
    jem16
    Currently, I pay 15.50 per month after discount for Talk unlimited, Caller Display and Superfibre70 (free upgrade from 50). I pay 12 months line rental in advance, and have just paid for next year's at 164.
    Originally posted by victor2
    So I assume the 15.50 is in addition to the 164 making an equivalent monthly total of 29.50 per month?

Do they allow you to keep a 12 months contract so that LRS falls in line with it?
    • victor2
    • By victor2 28th Nov 15, 8:37 AM
    • 4,942 Posts
    • 3,316 Thanks
    victor2
    So I assume the 15.50 is in addition to the 164 making an equivalent monthly total of 29.50 per month?

Do they allow you to keep a 12 months contract so that LRS falls in line with it?
    Originally posted by jem16
    This year I paid 144 LRS, so it's effectively 27.50 per month. From January the new rate takes effect, so 29.17 per month from then on. They are increasing their package cost in February, so another 3.49 will be added on.

The last negotiation resulted in a new 12 month contract from May, but with a discount that is valid until next November. Will have to negotiate another deal either in May or November, if the latter (and another 12 month contract) it will bring it almost into line with the LRS, which runs for the calendar year. During the last May haggle, they said they could see I'd got the LRS in place (which is of course non-refundable), but it didn't seem to stop their acceptance that they'd have to give me a discount to stay.
    • jem16
    • By jem16 28th Nov 15, 9:34 AM
    • 18,695 Posts
    • 11,505 Thanks
    jem16
    They are increasing their package cost in February, so another 3.49 will be added on.
    Originally posted by victor2
    Have you been sent your price increase letter yet? Part of that 3.49 will include the 1 extra for LR which won't apply to you.

Difficult to tell as yet what the price increase will be for BB and phone. It looks like the price for BB is increasing from 17.50 to 19 from their website so 1.50 plus the LR increase of 1 would make it 2.50.
    • victor2
    • By victor2 28th Nov 15, 11:46 AM
    • 4,942 Posts
    • 3,316 Thanks
    victor2
    Have you been sent your price increase letter yet? Part of that 3.49 will include the 1 extra for LR which won't apply to you.

Difficult to tell as yet what the price increase will be for BB and phone. It looks like the price for BB is increasing from 17.50 to 19 from their website so 1.50 plus the LR increase of 1 would make it 2.50.
    Originally posted by jem16
    Yes, had the letter which said:
    From February next year, your bill will be going up by 3.49 a month
    As I suspected you were right regarding the LR portion, and as I've already paid for next year's LR, I phoned them up. They confirmed my bill will only go up by 2.49 a month and offered me 3 a month credit for the next 6 months for my trouble.
    Sometimes it is worth contacting them.
    • visidigi
    • By visidigi 28th Nov 15, 12:17 PM
    • 5,704 Posts
    • 3,575 Thanks
    visidigi
    I haven't paid line rental for the last two years.

Its the one big difference between negotiating without going through to the retention outbound team.

Cancel and wait for the call - they will give you a years line rental free of charge without much pushing...
    • Mr Poves
    • By Mr Poves 30th Nov 15, 4:59 PM
    • 237 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    Mr Poves
    Just for reference - I'm paying 74 pm for bbxl , tv xl plus a 2nd box , and talk weekends , Gave vm my intention of terminating services and the lady I spoke to offered me 9 mth's @ 62.99 with sky movies free , that's the best she could do .
    So waiting to see what they offer in the next few weeks.
    • darkcloudi
    • By darkcloudi 4th Dec 15, 3:35 PM
    • 516 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    darkcloudi
    Didn't get the best of deals from VirginMedia, for the following:

Phone XL
    SuperFibre50
    TV M
    Caller Display

26 first 6 months then 29 (Getting a renewed 5 discount for 18 months which is why I am getting it this price else it would have been 31 for 6 months then 34, contract signed for 12 months)

Line Rental 164 paid in advance.
    • stephenliverpool1
    • By stephenliverpool1 4th Dec 15, 6:03 PM
    • 1,174 Posts
    • 920 Thanks
    stephenliverpool1
    Mmmm...Why does anyone stay with VM if you watch sports (football, golf, etc.) and films ?

I don't know how much VM charges for TV channels; in particular for Sports and movies.

I used to be with VM a few years for everything (b/band, TV and phone).

I then joined Sky and got a fantastic deal. I did not advise anyone here because it could not be replicated. It was really a silly mistake by Sky but I benefited.

Anyway I have got 50% off TV with Sky and have done so for a few years now. I now pay 23-50 for all Sky Sports channel and Sky entertainment package.

My b/band and phone is with Plusnet. I pay approximately 19-50 a month for unlimited b/band and any time phone calls. This price includes line rental and I get download speeds of 1.6. I can get the BT sports channels for approximately 11-00 per month on my Sky dish if I want but I don't bother yet. I may do when the Champions League gets more interesting.

VM and BT just cannot compete with what Sky can offer with regards prices for Sport and movies.
    Last edited by stephenliverpool1; 05-12-2015 at 9:40 AM.
    • mrjwood79
    • By mrjwood79 7th Jan 16, 8:15 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mrjwood79
    I was still on 10MB broadband, with XL TV and M phone, with the February increase the bill was going to exceed 75. We decided we don't watch enough channels so we dropped our TV down and got 50MB broadband with the same phone package and a new SuperHub for free for 34.99 a month with a discounted 6 month offer of 31.99 roughly halving our bill. Glad I found these haggling tips.
    • victor2
    • By victor2 7th Jan 16, 8:25 AM
    • 4,942 Posts
    • 3,316 Thanks
    victor2
    If you've got the latest Superhub 2, it's WiFi capabilities are far better than the original Superhub, with both 5Ghz and 2.4GHz channels, plus 802.11ac.
    Also, if you're on their "Superfibre 50", you can ask them for the free upgrade to Superfibre 70. Chances are the 70Mbps download speed won't make a huge difference to you, but my upload speed went up from 3 to 5Mbps with the upgrade, which I have found useful. They don't seem to be automatically upgrading everyone like they have in the past, only those that ask or respond to the offer through the on-line account.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

158Posts Today

1,374Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin