Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Nick
    • By Former MSE Nick 21st Aug 15, 4:58 PM
    • 254Posts
    • 78Thanks
    Former MSE Nick
    Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback
    • 21st Aug 15, 4:58 PM
    Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback 21st Aug 15 at 4:58 PM

Hi all, we have new Sky Haggling guide, and we'd love to hear your feedback.

Just click reply below to share any info. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks for your help,

MSE Nick
    Last edited by MSE Sally; 25-08-2015 at 2:36 PM.
Page 92
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 28th Mar 19, 2:04 PM
    • 4,635 Posts
    • 2,694 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    ...which is annoying as we have a few films that we downloaded to the Sky Q box using the Buy & Keep service but I guess that is offset by the £300 per year I'll save.
    Originally posted by headiboy
    They will convert your purchases to a Sky Store account when you leave which can be accessed online or through the Sky Store App on iOS & Android.

For Android:-

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bskyb.skystore.app&hl=en_GB&rdid=co m.bskyb.skystore.app
    • Nimai.31
    • By Nimai.31 2nd Apr 19, 11:41 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nimai.31
    For three years I’ve called retentions and cancelled and got a good deal within my cooling off period.

This year I called and was told that if I cancelled I would have to give my sky q box back and get a new one even if I changed my mind within the 28 days.

Has anyone encountered this?
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 3rd Apr 19, 7:48 AM
    • 13,523 Posts
    • 10,110 Thanks
    neilmcl
    For three years Iíve called retentions and cancelled and got a good deal within my cooling off period.

This year I called and was told that if I cancelled I would have to give my sky q box back and get a new one even if I changed my mind within the 28 days.

Originally posted by Nimai.31
    I think you were told porkies. Yes you have to return the box as it's on loan, but that's usually within 60 days of the service ending so if you change your mind within the 30 days notice period then all you're doing is terminating the cancellation process so the service will continue.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 3rd Apr 19, 8:15 AM
    • 4,635 Posts
    • 2,694 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    For three years Iíve called retentions and cancelled and got a good deal within my cooling off period.

Originally posted by Nimai.31
    There's no such thing as a 'cooling off period' when cancelling. You have to give 30 days notice (minimum, it can be more if it suits you) and then they'll give you a timescale plus the packaging to send the Q box back. If you change your mind after the channels have been turned off but before you've sent the box back then I presume you keep the same box (and the recordings on it).
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 5th Apr 19, 8:36 AM
    • 4,635 Posts
    • 2,694 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    A heads up for anyone looking at the 'Your exclusive offer, Stay with Sky' offer online.

I clicked on it yesterday just to check the offer (not the first time) and it was still at £15 plus the add-ons at £3.50 which wasn't what I was looking for so closed it. 2 hours later I got the first of 3 emails and 1 text thanking me for accepting Entertainment at £15 for 12 months. We were on the legacy Boxsets package and upon checking we'd lost the HD channels on TV and Boxsets through the Sky Go app. My future bills all confirmed that I was paying £15 a month going forward.

I've got it sorted today on the phone and they've given me the add-ons for just £1 each which is all I was looking for in the first place (yes, you can get it for less but the wife needs it so happy to compromise). The admin fee was waived as well which was the sticking point for me previously.

The agent told me this is not unusual with the website so something to keep in mind.
    • Tanyana
    • By Tanyana 12th Apr 19, 3:07 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Tanyana
    Just switched from SKY to Virgin Media following their 2019 price increases.

I had been with SKY for many years. My package was just for standard broadband with anytime calls. I did not need their tv. I know they are not the cheapest but they used to give me free unlimited international calls up until the end of last year , which I made great use of each week. I have always been able to successfully haggle with them , my last price being £28.50 pm. That was until I got the dreaded email mid contract to say my package was going up by £3 a month.

My call to retentions resulted in an offer of £25 pm , but this was by removing the calls package completely and instead replacing it with a monthly sim card. Despite me saying I already had one with plenty of credit on it , they tried to sell me a second phone on contract for £200 ! And yes , it definitely was the retentions dept I was through to not sales. To be fair to SKY though , when I called to confirm my cancellation a few days later I spoke to a completely different person in retentions and they were absolutely lovely and really helpful. They would still not haggle any further though.

Virgin Media came into my area last year and had been offering some amazing deals in 2019 so I decided to jump ship. My package with Virgin is Vivid 100 with weekend calls for £25 pm with free manned installation and activation. But they also gave me a £75 bill credit , so my actual price is £18.75 pm on a 12 month contract.

Now , curiously about two weeks after cancelling with SKY they sent me a `we want to win you back` email. This had an offer of £19 pm with a `renew now` button inserted. This was a 12 month renewal contract. But it was just for standard broadband and line rental. So what about any calls ? My online account shed no light either. New customers only pay £18 pm or £26 for anytime calls. They did not win me back and I did not investigate further.
    Last edited by Tanyana; 13-04-2019 at 2:29 PM.
    My bank account has six zeros in it , trouble is the one is at the wrong end
    • sunflowersuffolk
    • By sunflowersuffolk 14th Apr 19, 3:48 PM
    • 389 Posts
    • 561 Thanks
    sunflowersuffolk
    We cancelled without haggling. One day after cancellation they have rang us (after about 18 missed calls). We just wanted the basic Entertainment package, mainly for Discovery and documentaries. They were trying to sell Entertainment by saying it included some sports channels, which we absolutely do not want and will never watch.

Eventually they offered Entertainment £13 for 12 months and would waive the £10 fee. Got them to up it to 18 months, and was about to agree. Then just checked it was Multi room as before - NO! That would be another £14. End of conversation. Said sorry, goodbye.

I don't know if they will offer more in future. Also no mention of Sky Q, assume we would have kept the old box but not sure.
    • Buster Danog
    • By Buster Danog 14th Apr 19, 3:54 PM
    • 388 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Buster Danog
    My call to retentions resulted in an offer of £25 pm
    Originally posted by Tanyana
    I think I got offered £21 per month. I was telling them that Plusnet worked out at £11 a month, but they didn't want to compete. They don't seem to be interested in haggling anymore. Maybe the competition are not pressing them as hard.
    • Tanyana
    • By Tanyana 14th Apr 19, 6:00 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Tanyana
    I was telling them that Plusnet worked out at £11 a month, but they didn't want to compete. They don't seem to be interested in haggling anymore.
    Originally posted by Buster Danog
    This is what I found with them as well despite showing them all my homework. I got completely stone walled. It`s strange , but I almost expected them to say something along the lines of "sorry but we aren`t allowed to price match anymore". I wonder if now Comcast have bought them they have given all the staff the hard word and strict new rules to follow.
    My bank account has six zeros in it , trouble is the one is at the wrong end
    • RaspPav
    • By RaspPav 15th Apr 19, 1:22 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RaspPav
    So pleased! Thanks for the haggling tips!
    Wow! Just bagged a saving of £470 a year from sky! I followed the haggling tactics, got a half decent saving but it wasnít enough so I got put thru to the cancellation team who were able to give me a bit more. So Iím saving £40 a month overall but there was a £10 admin fee so a saving over 12 months of £470 Iím very happy with!

We were paying for Netflix separately but having amalgamated that to my plan we get 4 devices instead of 2 & itís ultra HD.

Also saved over £80 a month on my energy bill today so Iím v happy 😊
    • Anon
    • By Anon 15th Apr 19, 1:56 PM
    • 13,742 Posts
    • 152,314 Thanks
    Anon
    Wow! Just bagged a saving of £470 a year from sky! I followed the haggling tactics, got a half decent saving but it wasnít enough so I got put thru to the cancellation team who were able to give me a bit more. So Iím saving £40 a month overall but there was a £10 admin fee so a saving over 12 months of £470 Iím very happy with!

We were paying for Netflix separately but having amalgamated that to my plan we get 4 devices instead of 2 & itís ultra HD.

Also saved over £80 a month on my energy bill today so Iím v happy 😊
    Originally posted by RaspPav
    Great you have got a good saving. It would help other users if you could mention what your service mix and price is now, and what it was before you negotiated, please, as savings of X mean little due to all the variables. Thank you.
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 15th Apr 19, 4:25 PM
    • 11,105 Posts
    • 29,773 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Well that was bizarre - like others on here recently I found the retentions department to be not really interested in retaining me as a customer ...

I am out of contract and rang up to try to get a better deal. I explained I want sky sports, talk and broadband but it's currently too expensive. I was offered a mobile sim deal (??!) "as these are from £3 a month". I explained my mobile isn't a problem, and isn't with Sky so not interested in that, and again explained what I was looking for. She then offered me the entertainment package at a saving of £2 a month - but it doesn't include sky sports I again explained that I basically only watch the sports channels and that the entertainment deal was of no interest to me - she then basically told me there was nothing else they could do and would proceed with the cancellation.

I've checked the sky homepage and there is an offer there on the sports package which would save me £2 a month. Hopefully over the next few days there will be something better
    Mortgage Total: £75,000 £68,773 Mortgage End Date: May 2040
    2019 Savings: £2360 / £4,360
    Holiday Fund £3,434/£4,000
    • Italiananders
    • By Italiananders 20th Apr 19, 12:55 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Italiananders
    Andre
    Hi all, I have just cancelled my Sky Q. My previous offer gave me 35% discount and as it came to an end my Sky jumped from £45 per month to £68 even with a £10 off deal they gave me automatically,
    I have been run twice by retentions and the best offer so far is £56. My pack would be
    Sky Entertainment £15
    Ultimate on Demand £12
    Multiroom £13
    Sky F1 £14
    HD £1
    Kids £1
    The keep telling me that there are no discounts on Multiroom or the F1. I love F1 and find it ridiculous that F1 on its own is so much when for a few pounds more I could have all the sports channels (Don't watch other sport)
    Its also annoying as they seem completely unwilling to budge and it seems that that they are not interested in negotiation. Keeping fingers crossed I get a better deal or bye bye sky
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 27th Apr 19, 7:03 PM
    • 2,344 Posts
    • 530 Thanks
    Dandytf
    Not Haggling as such.
    Thought I'de share my latest Sky Mobile Piggyback Rewards.
    Apple AirPods Wireless Case -35gb data trade in 19.50 Cash Payment.
    Saving 59.50
    Sky Bubble Trouble By Cara Delevingne Water bottle, Blue-Cost 0
    Saving 25.00
    sc dmp 2012 13k Jan 2019 9880paid. 75%approx.
    Mid 2018 Help2save 50 uk pounds per month
    Mid 2019-Virgin Money e-saver reward 18 -T.b.c.
    • diabeticguy
    • By diabeticguy 29th Apr 19, 2:58 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    diabeticguy
    Really fed up with the yearly haggling with Sky. Current services are Sky Q box, with entertainment, cinema. box sets and HD. I am currently on my last 10 days of notice. Having spoken to every call centre in every country of the world I have been offered a deal of £27 per month on an 18 month contract.

However, I am so fatigued by the process I don't even trust my own mind to recognise a real deal. So many posts from different people who state they have been offered the world, account credits , 75% discounts etc. I feel that I am missing out.

Although it appears that all cashback has ceased, the account credits have stopped, and you are not classed as a new customer until 18 months have passed since your leaving.
    Last edited by diabeticguy; 29-04-2019 at 3:30 PM.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 29th Apr 19, 6:12 PM
    • 4,635 Posts
    • 2,694 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Really fed up with the yearly haggling with Sky. Current services are Sky Q box, with entertainment, cinema. box sets and HD. I am currently on my last 10 days of notice. Having spoken to every call centre in every country of the world I have been offered a deal of £27 per month on an 18 month contract.

However, I am so fatigued by the process I don't even trust my own mind to recognise a real deal. So many posts from different people who state they have been offered the world, account credits , 75% discounts etc. I feel that I am missing out.

Although it appears that all cashback has ceased, the account credits have stopped, and you are not classed as a new customer until 18 months have passed since your leaving.
    Originally posted by diabeticguy
    I've just taken Entertainment+HD+Boxsets for £17 (£15+£1+£1) for 12 months so you're in effect adding Cinema for an extra £10.

I'd say that's not a bad deal and better than a new customer would pay @ £43 a month plus a £20 one off fee (£22+£5+£5+£11).
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 29th Apr 19, 9:08 PM
    • 6,505 Posts
    • 4,393 Thanks
    csgohan4
    I've just taken Entertainment+HD+Boxsets for £17 (£15+£1+£1) for 12 months so you're in effect adding Cinema for an extra £10.

I'd say that's not a bad deal and better than a new customer would pay @ £43 a month plus a £20 one off fee (£22+£5+£5+£11).
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe

Is that Sky Q or regular Shy +HD box?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 30th Apr 19, 7:24 AM
    • 4,635 Posts
    • 2,694 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Is that Sky Q or regular Shy +HD box?
    Originally posted by csgohan4
    I managed to get an upgrade to the 1GB Q box for £20 a while ago (a few months before I renegotiated the package).
    • diabeticguy
    • By diabeticguy 30th Apr 19, 7:26 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    diabeticguy
    Sky Q 2tb box
    • saintscouple
    • By saintscouple 17th May 19, 8:01 PM
    • 3,936 Posts
    • 2,943 Thanks
    saintscouple
    I was a Sky Legacy customer with a 2tb Sky box and a 40% discount which expires in August, on a rolling contract. Was paying £34 a month.

Have lost interest in F1 so went on messenger today and negotiated the following on a 18 month contract -

Entertainment £13
    Hd £1
    Box-Sets £1
    = £15 a month

I lose kids channels and F1 which i don't need and save £19 a month.

I'll be changing provider on the broadband though - have a wifi issue with the router, weakening signal, to which their answer is for me to pay £75 for a wireless booster!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

144Posts Today

1,572Users online

Martin's Twitter