Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Nick
    • By Former MSE Nick 21st Aug 15, 4:58 PM
    • 254Posts
    • 78Thanks
    Former MSE Nick
    Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback
    • 21st Aug 15, 4:58 PM
    Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback 21st Aug 15 at 4:58 PM

Hi all, we have new Sky Haggling guide, and we'd love to hear your feedback.

Just click reply below to share any info. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks for your help,

MSE Nick
    Last edited by MSE Sally; 25-08-2015 at 2:36 PM.
Page 2
    • petechilton
    • By petechilton 15th Sep 15, 9:46 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    petechilton
    Success
    Just spoken to Sky and, using the link from MSE, got 35% off my bill for 12 months.

I've had a series of ongoing discounted rates for a couple of years but each took a long time to negotiate and they were only ever for a max of 8 months. Plus they were never as good as the rate I got today.

It seems the "exclusive offer for staying with Sky" is aimed at customers who have recently left (at least that's what the person I dealt with suggested) but they were happy to arrange something anyway.

Just made a note in the diary to do it all again in a year's time!
    • dates1
    • By dates1 15th Sep 15, 10:24 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dates1
    i just saved 25 pound per month just with a five minute call thank you mse
  • archived user
    Talking to Sky CS is not one of the best experiences in life. I managed to cancel Sky Sports a month ago online (cricket season ending) but couldn't cancel multiscreen. Rang CS to ask about cancellation and re-instatement next year. I was told that re-instating multiscreen would require another minimum term contract. I wasn't happy about this but cancelled anyway. CS failed to mention that cancelling multiscreen would lead to a Sky Go Extra cost per month. As we never use this, I asked for this to be cancelled as well. After 10 minutes trying to sort out the future billing, CS added 50 as a goodwill gesture.
    • Tiggifarfar.
    • By Tiggifarfar. 19th Sep 15, 7:26 AM
    • 72 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    Tiggifarfar.
    I re-negotiated my contract a couple of weeks ago. Was paying 57' down to 27 for 10 months on a 12 month contract. I got rid of multi-room (got sky go on the iPad anyway + still have freebies channels) but apart from that Same original package. 30 a month better off. spoke to a very nice Geordie chap and wasn't haggling for ages either. My advice is call them with a cheerful tone, no demands & they'll be on your side. Get their back up & they don't want to help you.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 20th Sep 15, 10:35 AM
    • 9,146 Posts
    • 5,459 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I've just given notice on my Sky tv (by phone) and was offered 50% immediately , on the Original package, as I said I wanted to downgrade from variety, anyway. However, it was for 10 months and I said I wasn't happy with 10 months, so wanted to cancel and would then negotiate about phone/bb in a few weeks, as \I have free line rental, at the moment.

The offer was half price tv, 7.50 broadband and 12 (something) line, plus my 5 call package; all for 10 months, so I declined, went ahead with cancellation and said I'd be in touch to see what offers were available, when I'd shopped around for phone/bb.

I will hold out for 12 months, as the 10 month deal is actually quite expensive. (They say you can renegotiate in 10 months' time, but they will offer little as they have you in minimum contract).
    • carloshenderson
    • By carloshenderson 21st Sep 15, 9:10 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    carloshenderson
    Last Wednesday I called to cancel my full HDTV/BB/Phone package. Offered various discounts up to about 35% - declined them all and said to go ahead with cancellation of TV.

Didn't get an offer through MySky so on Friday I did an online chat - said to the guy that I had 'seen' an offer for 60% off + 100 credit. After some back and forth he eventually agreed to it - including 60% off TV + HD. Initially said yes to 100 but then changed his mind and said he could only do 50. But I've checked my account and there is 100 credit there - so worth asking!

Couldn't do much on BB/Phone though so gonna try that separately.. But now paying 30.30 for full HD TV with movies + sports

Saving of 646.50 over the 12 months when you factor in the 100 credit!
    • carloshenderson
    • By carloshenderson 21st Sep 15, 12:56 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    carloshenderson
    quick update
    Have been back on online chat and just agreed half price line rental + half price unlimited fibre for 12 months... So total monthly bill will be 48.50 for HD TV + Movies + Sports + Phone line + Unlimited Fibre! Would be 111.83 if paying full price so that's 63.33 a month saving or 760 a year! + 100 credit = 860 saving for the year
    • Anomalous
    • By Anomalous 5th Oct 15, 11:55 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Anomalous
    Been with Sky 12 months.
    I was only paying 89 for 3 boxes, full package, unlimited phone/broadband, HD.

I didn't realise the deal was only for 12 months. When I asked why my bill was over 120, they said the discount ended.
    I asked why they didn't tell me and they said I opted out of marketing. CHEAP TRICK.
    I said to cancel and they offered me the lot for 105.

I was wondering if I cancelled, how long before I can reverse it?
    Do they still ring you after a week or so after cancelling with a better offer?
    I'm only at this property for another 6 months, so can't switch...
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 5th Oct 15, 1:52 PM
    • 9,146 Posts
    • 5,459 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Been with Sky 12 months.

I didn't realise the deal was only for 12 months. When I asked why my bill was over 120, they said the discount ended.
    I asked why they didn't tell me and they said I opted out of marketing. CHEAP TRICK.

Originally posted by Anomalous

When you agreed to your package you would have been sent the terms and conditions, including the fact that the offer was for 12 months only.

They are not obliged to contact you when the offer is drawing to an end and if you refused marketing (ie letters /calls/emails) they would have no means of telling you anyway.

If you cancel, you can change your mind any time from then onwards and if the service is switched off, it can be reinstated the same day, instantly.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 6th Oct 15, 7:18 AM
    • 5,595 Posts
    • 2,487 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Been with Sky 12 months.

DON'T cancel the phone/bband and DON'T mention a house move!Once Sky instruct BT Openretch re phone/bband it'll go off and will be very difficult to get back.
    Cancel the TV portion, then ,when you got the inevitable contact ensure that you get a decent deal on the TV portion with NO tie in.
    You are a bit stuffed on the b/band plus phone because any other Company you move to, will want to tie you in for at least 12 months and will hit you with cancellation charges if you go early -better to carry on paying Sky for these services on a month to month basis til your move.
    • wrongmark
    • By wrongmark 10th Oct 15, 5:12 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    wrongmark
    I called sky last night about line rental price increase.

I was in initially told that I couldn't cancel early because of the increase. I told the guy that this was inaccurate. He then put me through to the "cancellations team" who confirmed that I could cancel without any penalties.

When I explained that Talk Talk had fibre broadband and line rental for approximately 23 per month, I was offered line rental for 9.99 per month for 10 months (new 12 month contract). I already have a half price fibre deal for another 6 months so it works out at roughly 4 more per month than the Talk Talk deal but to me it's not worth the hassle of switching. I'm happy with that result for a 10 min phone call (for now).

I recommend haggling with Sky as I have done regularly over the years. If you don't get a good result, just try again another day until you do.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 10th Oct 15, 8:02 PM
    • 9,146 Posts
    • 5,459 Thanks
    teddysmum
    [QUOTE=wrongmark;69308231

I recommend haggling with Sky as I have done regularly over the years. If you don't get a good result, just try again another day until you do.[/QUOTE]

That's a must , especially as, a Sky forum member, who rang, was told that they are inundated with cancellations, following the price announcements.
    • Steven5645
    • By Steven5645 2nd Nov 15, 7:26 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Steven5645
    I contacted sky regarding last price increase selected option to leave sky and told call handler I wanted to leave sky without any other haggling or effort on my part I was given a 33% discount for 5 YEARS if I took out another 12 month contract I said I was worried I case my sky box failed and they included free repairs within the 12 month contract I don't think I have ever paid the full price I have always been on some sort of deal but must say this is the best I have had I am also running 2 YEARS free broadband 😀😀😀😀😀.
    • macman
    • By macman 3rd Nov 15, 11:30 AM
    • 43,308 Posts
    • 18,493 Thanks
    macman
    Been with Sky 12 months.

The promo price will have ended when your minimum term ended, so that's quite standard. They don't have to advise you, it's up to you to keep track of your own contract dates. If you cancel and renew, you will enter a new 12m minimum term contract-not a good idea if you are leaving in 6m.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 3rd Nov 15, 1:07 PM
    • 9,146 Posts
    • 5,459 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I contacted sky regarding last price increase selected option to leave sky and told call handler I wanted to leave sky without any other haggling or effort on my part I was given a 33% discount for 5 YEARS if I took out another 12 month contract I said I was worried I case my sky box failed and they included free repairs within the 12 month contract I don't think I have ever paid the full price I have always been on some sort of deal but must say this is the best I have had I am also running 2 YEARS free broadband 😀😀😀😀😀.
    Originally posted by Steven5645

Do you have the free maintenance in writing, as it's a very unusual offer ?
    • Wispa922
    • By Wispa922 3rd Nov 15, 3:32 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Wispa922
    I read about sky and haggling and thought as I was not on the highest contract with them (34 per month) that I had no chance but gave it a try anyways. I originally contacted them via the Internet chat but they quickly rang me when I suggested that I was looking to reduce right down to freeserve due to cost. A very nice gentleman took all my details and I did as suggested ...not confrontational we cracked a joke or two. He went away and came back a short while later with some deals....One of which moving my broadband and phone to sky. (I am presently with plusnet). I have had all three amenities with sky before and was happy with them and had only previously moved due to finding a cheaper deal. All in all I have now saved myself almost 200 a year THANKS MSE!!
    • Wispa922
    • By Wispa922 3rd Nov 15, 3:36 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Wispa922
    I also received at 14 discount for being a loyal customer
    • Pitlanepiglet
    • By Pitlanepiglet 7th Nov 15, 9:46 AM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 11,267 Thanks
    Pitlanepiglet
    I'm having trouble with my renewal. I was within 30 days of the end of my 50% MSE deal from last year. Rang to give notice expecting to have to wait for a decent offer once I'd given notice. Got through to cancellations and got offered a cracking 50% off deal with an additional multiroom. It was actually less than this year as I agreed to drop HD and box sets (not bothered about either).

The confirmation came through while i was still on the phone arranging the engineer and it was a 10 month deal which hadn't been mentioned before. I queried this and the advisor said I could phone and renew it at the same cost in 9 months - I said I thought that was unlikely as I'd still be in contract, he assured me it would be the case or I could cancel as the contract would be void.

He further assured me that all calls were recorded so I could raise a query if there was any issue. I also have his full ID number.

I've raised a query with Sky as I don't believe what I've been told and I now see that the monthly figure online is 14 higher than I was quoted. They have sent me an initial standard reply to say 10 months is 10 months and tough luck (effectively!) so I have asked them to review the call.

I took full notes and was able to query the 10 months as I was still on the phone because of the additional multiroom set up but I was absolutely not told it was 10 months. We've got the full works on 3 boxes so the full priced cost for the final 2 months would be huge and there is no way I would have taken a 10 month offer without the assurances I was given.

I'll move the complaint to Resolver (assuming Sky are part of it?) if I don't get a swift response.

Be very cautious in dealing with Sky at the moment, the information I was given was absolutely incorrect despite me raising very direct questions.
    Piglet
    • jem16
    • By jem16 7th Nov 15, 9:54 AM
    • 18,677 Posts
    • 11,484 Thanks
    jem16
    The confirmation came through while i was still on the phone arranging the engineer and it was a 10 month deal which hadn't been mentioned before. I queried this and the advisor said I could phone and renew it at the same cost in 9 months - I said I thought that was unlikely as I'd still be in contract, he assured me it would be the case or I could cancel as the contract would be void.
    Originally posted by Pitlanepiglet
    All of Sky's offers via cancellations are for 10 months ( or less ) with a 12 months contract. Many are being told just to ring at the end of the 10 months and get the discounts renewed. I really can't see this myself as you are tied into a 12 months contract but many are taking it.

Personally I would never accept any offer like that. You are always advised to actually cancel as you will then get the Win Back team offering discounts for the full 12 months, usually with no contract unless HD or multiroom is involved.

Be very cautious in dealing with Sky at the moment, the information I was given was absolutely incorrect despite me raising very direct questions.
    Hopefully you'll get somewhere.
    • Pitlanepiglet
    • By Pitlanepiglet 7th Nov 15, 10:17 AM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 11,267 Thanks
    Pitlanepiglet
    All of Sky's offers via cancellations are for 10 months ( or less ) with a 12 months contract. Many are being told just to ring at the end of the 10 months and get the discounts renewed. I really can't see this myself as you are tied into a 12 months contract but many are taking it.

Personally I would never accept any offer like that. You are always advised to actually cancel as you will then get the Win Back team offering discounts for the full 12 months, usually with no contract unless HD or multiroom is involved.

Hopefully you'll get somewhere.
    Originally posted by jem16
    How would I know the offer was for 10 months unless the advisor tells me? They have to give the relevant detail or they are misleading people. Then when I queried it I was given a categorical assurance re reinstating the deal or cancelling and I stated clearly that otherwise I wasn't proceeding with the renewal.

The call is really clear because I asked very specific questions and was given clear answers. I also have full timed and dated notes. If they can't find the call then the ombudsman will have to decide who they prefer to believe.

It's interesting that they they appear to be suggesting people that they can reinstate deals after 10 months - unless it's a change of policy for Sky then it sounds like a corporate intent to mislead....
    Piglet
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,275Posts Today

7,643Users online

Martin's Twitter