Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 19th Aug 13, 9:39 PM
    • 967Posts
    • 5,111Thanks
    Tahlullah
    The impossible dream
    • 19th Aug 13, 9:39 PM
    The impossible dream 19th Aug 13 at 9:39 PM
    Hello everyone. I am new to the forum, but have been reading for several years. It has been a help and inspiration, but I have never felt the need to get involved until today.

I have been financially aware for many years and now have set a goal which I know I cannot achieve. My aim is to be mortgage free within 2 years. It is impossible to do, I have read everything, looked at spread sheets, calculated within an inch of my sanity, but I cannot do this without becoming a hermit and stopping Ďlivingí. The one thing the diaries have taught me is that people have great intentions, but after a while, the frugality can become grating and somewhat depressing and so the aim becomes a chore.

As I still want to live my life to the full, I am not prepared to give up all luxuries; I do not have any debt and I do not overspend. I regularly have no spend days, sometimes going a whole week without letting the moths out of my purse for air! I donít smoke, drink in excess, have a gym membership, shop frivolously for food; Iím not into handbags, makeup, shoes or clothes. In fact, I am the most boring person I know. But I do like holidays!

I bank with F.Direct, in my opinion a great bank. The mortgage is an offset. I already overpay, but I cannot seem to find any other substantial spare cash to over overpay with.

I already save bits of change, xbay, Tilly Tidy, use the sweep function to put extra bits into the mortgage, whilst maintaining a small amount of savings. I decided I preferred to pay off the mortgage than save as I feel better about watching the capital reduce.

I made my decision to do the impossible and this weekend, conjured £200 out of nowhere to overpay on top of what I normally pay - cashed in my £2 coins. Now, I have come to a dead stop and hit a brick wall. No more conjuring until payday!
    So, I am going to keep this diary to help me to focus, and see what progress I can make out of nothing at all. I am going to aim at reducing my capital by £500 by the end of the financial year, in addition to my normal mortgage payments, without having a substantial negative effect on my way of life.

I am going to take small steps. I shall begin by trying to xbay or Gumtree anything that is not tied down, including the cat if anyone will pay me for him. I will continue with my sweep every month. I will continue with my no spend days. I will continue to collect change in the hope of knocking small amounts of the amount owed, so I can see a difference being made.

The spread sheets say I could be mortgage free in 4.5 years. I would like to be free in 2, by my 50th birthday. I could stretch it to 3 years as I am still technically 50 until I am 51! I am committing to posting once a week, even if to say, I have made no progress. Hopefully, someone will be able to inspire me to great heights.

Thank you for your help so far. Let the games begin.
Page 3
    • Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 5th Nov 13, 7:17 PM
    • 967 Posts
    • 5,111 Thanks
    Tahlullah
    Had a great day today. Began with my excel house from gallygirl - thank you, I am not worthy!

Then I found 3p roadkill in true Ninja style.

Followed by a telephone call from Barclays offering me £150 for mortgage settlement excess fees as suggested on the Reclaiming Fees thread.

Plus, my ebay stuff is selling. Not setting the world on fire, (£50) but better than nothing, so I should be able to overpay by an extra £200 this month. An unexpected bonus.

I feel I should be sending a letter of thanks!

So, once this money is in my account, I only have £100 to go to meet my target of £1k by the end of the year.

Happy bonfire night everybody.
    Still striving to be mortgage free before I get to a point I can't enjoy it.

15 February 2019 - Mortgage debt - £78,400
    23 April 2019 - Mortgage debt - £85,000
    28 May 2019 - Mortgage debt - £83,300
    • Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 9th Nov 13, 12:12 PM
    • 967 Posts
    • 5,111 Thanks
    Tahlullah
    Spent a productive couple of hours this morning staring at my spreadsheet and playing with impossible numbers, suggesting how quickly I could pay off the mortgage if I paid x amount per month.

Went on to look at my Excel house from GallyGirl; nothing happening there either.

So, did a quick Tilly Tidy to bring my mortgage up to a whole number, £8.21.

Then looked at my items selling on ebay; still hoping to get £100 to deposit, but not sure because until the fees for ebay have been paid, Paypal fees have been deducted and postage to all purchasers have come out, won't really know how much is mine. I will be happy with £50, but really wanted £100.

Went to the hairdresser and got conned into buying some fancy Paul Mitchell shampoo and conditioner for £21.00. Oh well, I don't do it often. Get conned I mean.

Still reaching for the stars when the moon is brighter and closer to me...

• Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 15th Nov 13, 6:55 AM
    • 967 Posts
    • 5,111 Thanks
    Tahlullah
    Just paid my last £100 into my mortgage account, so have met the challenge set by gallygirl to meet £1000 before the end of the year. So chuffed!

My new challenge has been set, which is to reduce the number of bricks in my house. This will take a bit of strategic planning around payments and overpayments. But, I am going to give myself a break for Christmas; my present to myself, and start again in earnest in the new year.

Honestly, I don't know if I will achieve my goal of being mortgage free before I am 51, but I am certainly having fun trying!

• newgirly
    • By newgirly 15th Nov 13, 7:38 AM
    • 6,744 Posts
    • 46,828 Thanks
    newgirly
    Well done on hitting that target tallulah keep up the good work
    MFW 21

£72,866.48 left target £10k/ £6,133.52 in 2019
    • Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 22nd Nov 13, 9:23 PM
    • 967 Posts
    • 5,111 Thanks
    Tahlullah
    Hello anyone who is reading these vague ramblings.

I have just managed to make another £100 overpayment, so over the moon as strategically, my next mortgage payment will mean I can fill in another brick in my excel house.

All good, but general living expenses going up. Assume because of Christmas spends. But not going to improve immediately once the festivities are over because I have my winter sport holiday coming up in Feb.

Does one ever get onto an even keel?

Good and bad in everything.

• Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    • By Tilly MFW in 6 YRS 22nd Nov 13, 10:29 PM
    • 7,652 Posts
    • 87,078 Thanks
    Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    Evening, it's a long old slog but every penny off means less interest.

Tilly x
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15
    • Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 25th Nov 13, 10:52 PM
    • 967 Posts
    • 5,111 Thanks
    Tahlullah
    Sometimes you can't see the woods for the trees. We forget why we are doing this and become obsessed with the mechanics of saving money in one form or the other, and we need to step back and remember that this is about paying less interest so more in your pocket with which to enjoy life. Remember, we work to live, not live to work.

Anyhow, haven't found a penny today, so can't add to my Roadkill total. Haven't made an overpayment so can't fill in a brick on my excel house.

But, I have been out collecting wood! Someone has dumped a load from a house they are renovating, so I felt the need to assist in the cleaning up process and took some. I guess that if they wanted to keep it, it should have been in the garden, not on the spare land to the side.

There is too much to collect in one go, plus it really needs cutting up into more managable peices to move. I wonder if it will still be there tomorrow or if anyone else will come along and take it for their open fire / log burner.

I will see what tomorrow brings. This is truely money saving. The more I collect to burn, the less often I have to use the central heating. True wombling!

• gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 26th Nov 13, 5:11 AM
    • 16,778 Posts
    • 110,555 Thanks
    gallygirl
    This is truely money saving. The more I collect to burn, the less often I have to use the central heating. True wombling!
    Originally posted by Tahlullah
    Nice one
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 5th Dec 13, 4:00 AM
    • 967 Posts
    • 5,111 Thanks
    Tahlullah
    Decided to spend some of my hard earned money on a cat scratch post for Rufus. The hope being that he will suddenly realise that this is what he has been waiting for all his life and didn't realise he couldn't live without. He would instantly gather it to his bosom and refuse to be parted from it, whilst simultaneously averting his cat sharpening tendencies away from the sofa.

Well, no. He does however like the box it came in! There has to be a way of teaching this cat that this is the best thing since sliced bread and that it is the equivalent of having his own nail bar at home. Perhaps a liberal dosing of cat nip spray? He has never shown any interest in the stuff before, but it has to be worth a try. Total waste of money but you have to try.

Anyway, still not fully prepared for Christmas yet. Bought a pair of new tyres a couple of months ago and managed to pick up a big screw, which caused a blowout on the motorway. Over an hours wait for the RAC to send a tow truck; got onward travel and no spare, just a tin of spray. But the tyre was shredded so I had to be recovered. So, now need to buy another tyre. Another £100 down the drain.

Christmas food shopping needs to start in earnest. Will be relatively painless as checked and I have £37 of Nectar points to spend in Sainsburys anf £77 Tesco clubcard points. There is a reason I buy my petrol and food at their shop using their visa card. And this is it!

All in all, spending is still increasing, but coming up with ways to spend less in other areas. Just imagine no RAC cover and needing a new tyre in December, with no other money or way to buy food. Sometimes, you have to stand back and remind yourself how lucky you are, just to have alternatives.

• TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 5th Dec 13, 5:51 AM
    • 4,403 Posts
    • 9,094 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Horrible news about the tyre great that you had cover or it could have been super expensive. Can of spray is just useless in such situation. (Mental note to check if my new car has a spare tyre)

Cats are funny things but I must say mine has always used a scratch pad right from kitten hood.

My two who are four have totally ripped the first one they had so just bought a huge one and they are just getting used to the fact they can now reach up. Mine always use it befor they head outside I think it's to get ready for he kill. Maybe try it it diffenrt places until you find a favorite I don't dare move mine. Also if you do catch him scratching something he shouldn't put him straight onto the scratch pad. Mine are good I must say only does the odd thing on the carpets.

Nice one about the nectar/Tesco points but don't forget you get more points via the other deal. I usually get a magazine subscriptions and the RAC cover is also worth more.
    • Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 6th Dec 13, 7:12 PM
    • 967 Posts
    • 5,111 Thanks
    Tahlullah
    Cheers for the tip Tall Girl. Will try relocating the post. Perhaps to outside with him attached to it...

Points definitely worth more if spent in other areas, but needs must, if I want a half decent Christmas, which involves Rufus having the opportunity to try and run off with the turkey before it is cooked.

Good news for the day, I have just filled in another brick in my excel house! Just 32 to go, or another 3 and a bit years.

Still on track to pay off before I am 51. Getting ready for my repayment challenge for 2014. I am hoping that at this point next year, I will have 20 bricks to go. If not, I hope I will be able to look back and understand why and perhaps what went wrong, and more importantly, what can I do to rectify the shortfall.

• mouche
    • By mouche 9th Dec 13, 12:18 PM
    • 890 Posts
    • 4,382 Thanks
    mouche
    Hi Tallulah...you're at the opposite end of the mortgage journey from me and I have to say I'm jealous at how well you are doing without even seeming to feel it. And I'm glad you're not compromising on the holidays. Us boring people deserve one indulgence!

Good luck and hope December 2014 sees you at least 15 bricks lighter!
    • Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 9th Dec 13, 9:36 PM
    • 967 Posts
    • 5,111 Thanks
    Tahlullah
    Thanks for the good wishes and encouragement Mouche, it is always appreciated when someone comes along and admits to reading my diary. But, 15 bricks??!!!! Really? I was always bad at maths - in the end they gave up trying to get me an O level and put me forward for a 'proficiency in arithmetic'. So, are you really saying that I should have paid off £15k in 12 months? Oh heck.... Time to panic and reevaluate.

• Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 10th Dec 13, 7:21 AM
    • 967 Posts
    • 5,111 Thanks
    Tahlullah
    Ok, thought about it overnight. Good morning universe! Mouche has set my challenge for the year. My aim is to colour in 15 bricks by 1 January 2015, so 12 months.

I am saying it is an aim, so not beating myself up if I don't manage it, but I am going to try and get as close as I can.

Release the Kracken!

• Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 23rd Dec 13, 9:02 AM
    • 967 Posts
    • 5,111 Thanks
    Tahlullah
    Just made my final overpayment for 2013 of £100.

Merry Christmas everyone and a Prosperous New Year to you all.

Tx

• Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 16th Jan 14, 6:21 AM
    • 967 Posts
    • 5,111 Thanks
    Tahlullah
    First payment of the New Year £100. Good.
    Bought new car. Bad.

Over the moon! Great start to the year, if not quite MSE!

• TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 16th Jan 14, 6:31 AM
    • 4,403 Posts
    • 9,094 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Congratulations on the new car come on we need to know a bit more!

Good to see you back
    • Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 16th Jan 14, 10:46 PM
    • 967 Posts
    • 5,111 Thanks
    Tahlullah
    Hi Tallgirl, thank you for the welcome back. Life has been getting in the way of MSEing of late, but I'm back with my big plans for the new year.

So, not a lot happening in my world really. Busy at work preparing for audit mid February. Actually, I am lying. Everyone else is preparing and I am rushing around being mainly unproductive and complaining that I don't have the time to get on with my preparation. Luckily everyone knows to ignore me. After all, what's the worst that can happen. A bit of corrective action? At least you know where you've gone wrong at that point.

Anyway, my new car is really new to me. Could never afford an absolutely brand new out of the showroom. Quelle horreur! Imagine the depreciation! It's great, the newer model of my current car. Of course, I got an absolute bargain because the garage were selling it as a bog standard model, when it came with added extras. I of course pretended to be girly, to detract from the fact I was looking at all these bits that he wasn't mentioning. So, I wittered on about the colour, how much I liked the fact the bumpers were not the same colour as the bodywork because it made it look pretty etc.

I lifted the bonnet to see if I could see any corrosion at the welding joints and I swear, he broke the land speed record to get to me. I was going to dip the oil so I could look at the colur to see if it had been changed recently, but in the end, I just stood and talked about how cramped it was in there and you couldn't fit anything else in.

Anyway, I am exterely happy and hopefully, once I have finished buying all the little extras that you buy to make it yours, I will have run out of things to purchase and will get down to some serious money saving.

I am hoping to perhaps pay down another £100 this month, but I am going on my winter holiday in Feb and need the spending money. Then, no more holidays booked! What will I do? How will I cope?

• tootallulah
    • By tootallulah 19th Jan 14, 8:15 AM
    • 2,174 Posts
    • 7,622 Thanks
    tootallulah
    Hi it looks like you are making brilliant progress, I like the sound of the car!
    Mortgage House £45,000, 26 January 2018, 17th September 2018 £1,000.
    • Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 25th Jan 14, 2:39 PM
    • 967 Posts
    • 5,111 Thanks
    Tahlullah
    I wanted to make another overpayment, to make it £200 in January, but only managed to save a further £50, so will keep it until I can round it up to a whole £100 next month. Just discovered that I prefer to pay whole hundreds rather than small amounts. May not meet my MFW 14 target at this rate.

But something is better than nothing!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,122Posts Today

7,944Users online

Martin's Twitter