Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 3
  • kimkashmere
    I don't think I would come back with much at all
    Normally there is not much of interest to me in the reduced section.
    I see a lot of bread reduced but out of choice I prefer fresh bread.
    I never see any good meat reduced but then maybe I am just going in there at the wrong time!
  • Struggling247
    It's a lottery.
    Some day's there is loads, other days nothing.
    We once filled the freezer for under 30 with meat and were paid to take yoghurts away!
    • tootallulah
    • By tootallulah 18th Mar 13, 1:22 PM
    • 2,174 Posts
    • 7,622 Thanks
    tootallulah
    I had a great shop in Waitrose today as there were loads of half price meat reductions at the butchers counter, it is usually pretty good on a Monday.
    I god six Barnsley chops for 3.80, 1.5 kilo of minced lamb for 4.86 and 1.5 kilo of frying steak for 5.32. I will do a load of cooking this evening and fill up the freezer. Someone on here pointed out that if you do the 3 for 10.00 offers you still get the reduction even on the reduced items - thank-you for the tip this makes a good offer even better.
    Mortgage House 45,000, 26 January 2018, 17th September 2018 1,000.
  • RustyBadge
    I don't think I would come back with much at all
    Normally there is not much of interest to me in the reduced section.
    I see a lot of bread reduced but out of choice I prefer fresh bread.
    I never see any good meat reduced but then maybe I am just going in there at the wrong time!
    Originally posted by kimkashmere

Bargains aren't as good as they were a few months ago but if you happen to go in any of the stores when they are reducing stuff further, usually at the end of the day, (although it seems to be unpredictable at the moment), hang around and you may get lucky! My local co-op and Morries seem to reduce random things throughout the day and they don't always put them in the reduced section.
  • she who can not cook
    I called in Tesco last night at 7.30,they close at 8pm,the reduced section was full of 10p items.I managed to buy a months worth of meat for my family for the grand total of 2.60 ( joints of meat,mince,chicken breasts,a large chicken)A pack of 12 sausage rolls for 10p,ready meals that were 4.99 were now 10p,too much to list.The store was really quiet,it's harder to find the bargains because a lot of people are hunting for them aswell.Alot of people must of been sat at home thinking its not worth going because all the bargains will be gone.There was heaps of the expensive bread for 10p.
    Originally posted by frosty
    I go to tesco on the way home from work @6 ish and the bargains just are not there any more igo for bread on a tue and used to get 50/50 hovis ect for under 50 i thought that was good lol. Well done and i am not jealous at all lol
    Gc 2013 +26 -5. -4 -7 -14 -15 -10.-8.20 +15p+30+5.80 Dec +9 GROCERY challenge 2014 Jan -2Feb -3 March -1.50 April +5.40 May +4.90 June -3.July 16.50/85

God bless my sweet "old man" Goldie that died in the early hours of 27 th March please see him on my avatar
  • Gaelen
    I often find it a hit and a miss. Usually I would go down after training so its about 7.30 but sometimes at a weekend they are there quite early in the morning too.

The one thing that annoys me is when there is a couple and both will stand there with the trolly completely blocking it for everyone, or the people who physically push you out the way.
    • Steve059
    • By Steve059 19th Mar 13, 11:49 AM
    • 2,336 Posts
    • 6,159 Thanks
    Steve059
    It can be like scavengers around a kill on the Serengeti. 250,000 years is nothing in evolutionary terms.

Then again, shopping is still a bit of a "hunter gather thing". OK, you don't get sabre-toothed cats in supermarkets (with the possible exception of Waitrose, they do lots of things that the others don't), but those trolleys can hurt if they hit you in the back of the ankle.
    Last edited by Steve059; 19-03-2013 at 11:53 AM.
    If you fold it in half, will an Audi A4 fit in a Citroen C5?
    • carrie2402
    • By carrie2402 19th Mar 13, 2:47 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    carrie2402
    got a good deal in waitrose today, 4 x fresh deep pan pizza 4.00 each reduced to 1.99 each plus 2 for 5.00 discount so got 4 pizza for 1.96
    • billieboy
    • By billieboy 19th Mar 13, 3:19 PM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 2,496 Thanks
    billieboy
    got a good deal in waitrose today, 4 x fresh deep pan pizza 4.00 each reduced to 1.99 each plus 2 for 5.00 discount so got 4 pizza for 1.96
    Originally posted by carrie2402
    Wow, that's really good. I got 2 x 4 blueberry muffins reduced to 1.05 a pack = 2.10, then 1 off as they were on two for 2, so eight for 1.10. The multibuys in Waitrose are always good, especially when you get paid for buying them !
    • Amusville
    • By Amusville 19th Mar 13, 5:11 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    Amusville
    Today I got a few naan breads in A's for 2p each will do nicely in the freezer but my bargain was some thorntons chocolate lollies reduced to 10p but with no barcode on them so nice man at the till gave me them for free!
    • elsien
    • By elsien 19th Mar 13, 6:39 PM
    • 19,187 Posts
    • 48,698 Thanks
    elsien
    Quite a nice man in Morrisons today. I got there at 5 which is normally a bit early for the reductions and there were some good bits of meat I had my eye on. They'd been reduced once and he was doing the second price drop. He very obligingly repriced the meat I was looking at on request so I could decide whether to buy or not.
    Not one of my mega bargains, but I now have my easter lamb joint ready and waiting in the freezer.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • clairaay
    • By clairaay 19th Mar 13, 9:39 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    clairaay
    This might sound like a silly question but my tesco and asda are 24 hours 7 days a week and morrisons is open until 10 every night. When roughly should I be looking for these reductions? Thanks xxx
  • Gaelen
    It can be like scavengers around a kill on the Serengeti. 250,000 years is nothing in evolutionary terms.

Then again, shopping is still a bit of a "hunter gather thing". OK, you don't get sabre-toothed cats in supermarkets (with the possible exception of Waitrose, they do lots of things that the others don't), but those trolleys can hurt if they hit you in the back of the ankle.
    Originally posted by Steve059
    You are right, it really is! I encountered it all last night as I popped in after work. The rudeness of some people just astounds me. The nicest looking person gets nasty!

Sadly for me it was all cream cakes and cheese when I went in so nothing on that venture.
    • BeckyC2be
    • By BeckyC2be 20th Mar 13, 10:39 AM
    • 170 Posts
    • 453 Thanks
    BeckyC2be
    It really is like watching the discovery channel in my local MrT's at reduced times. One of the staff members told me they'll put the trolley out with the pricing gun near the reduced bit and then go and watch the cctv for ten minutes, said it was his favourite ten minutes of the day watching everyone trying to get nearest!

I normally go in about 1pm, that tends to be when the meat gets 30-50% off and you don't have to fight for it, and sometimes about 8pm, all the scavengers have been an there's always lots of veg left as they don't seem to want that!

Now I'm not saying there is anything wrong with wanting reductions as I regularly ys shop myself, but it really is like a different planet in my local!
    • timehastoldme
    • By timehastoldme 20th Mar 13, 10:53 AM
    • 202 Posts
    • 702 Thanks
    timehastoldme
    At our local waitrose the other day we bought salmon and dill fishcakes (4 packs of 2) and breakfast muffins (2 packs of 4) which came to the grand total of 4p for the lot after the reductions and multi-buy discounts kicked in. We were pretty pleased with that.
    • eagle_eye
    • By eagle_eye 20th Mar 13, 11:49 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    eagle_eye
    Originally posted by Steve059
    Yes that's true, which I why I usually leave my trolley out of the way where the reductions are being done and at the side of the isle. Only problem is that shoppers think it's there for their benefit and are sifting through it helping themselves! I've had this happen at least 5 occasions - even when my shopping bags are in there. Mind you they are usually a lot more embarrassed than I am. These days the cycle helmet and gloves seems to do the trick but I still keep an eye on it.
    Last edited by eagle_eye; 20-03-2013 at 11:53 AM.
    • Steve059
    • By Steve059 20th Mar 13, 11:57 AM
    • 2,336 Posts
    • 6,159 Thanks
    Steve059
    This might sound like a silly question but my tesco and asda are 24 hours 7 days a week and morrisons is open until 10 every night. When roughly should I be looking for these reductions? Thanks xxx
    Originally posted by clairaay
    Not late night/early morning. I recently tried this as a bit of an experiment. Bad idea. The bargain shelves were always empty.
    If you fold it in half, will an Audi A4 fit in a Citroen C5?
    • jenster
    • By jenster 20th Mar 13, 5:16 PM
    • 483 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    jenster
    Today I got a few naan breads in A's for 2p each will do nicely in the freezer but my bargain was some thorntons chocolate lollies reduced to 10p but with no barcode on them so nice man at the till gave me them for free!
    Originally posted by Amusville
    only time that happened to me was id picked up some bread 12p a loaf so got 6 also on reduced was 2 legs of lamb down from about at tenner to 1.99 each still a bargain i thought off i went to the till
    and when they went to scan the lamb it wouldnt scan so she put the red flashy light on for a supervisor to come well we waited and waited in the end the till op said its too late for this was about 9.30pm at night (shop shutting at 10pm ) , give us one of your loafs of bread back - she re scanned that and gave us the 2 legs for 12p now that was what a call a result - never happened since lol

yep yellow stickies very hit and miss now
    Last edited by jenster; 20-03-2013 at 5:18 PM.
    • mishmash
    • By mishmash 21st Mar 13, 9:37 AM
    • 356 Posts
    • 660 Thanks
    mishmash
    Got some real bargains without even trying yesterday, went to Mr T to get a box of chocs (little girl need to take them into school for a raffle..honestly there is something every week) anyway had a look and got 7 packs of petit flours yoghurt for 10p each, 2 packs of smocked salmon for 20p each, 3 packs of finest Cumberland sausages for 39p each and a block of cheese reduced to 20p also 2 large packs of bananas for 10p each, strawberries for 20p and blueberries for 10p don't think I have ever been so lucky, freezer was already full though so it's like a game of Jenga now trying to get things out
    • eagle_eye
    • By eagle_eye 21st Mar 13, 11:27 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    eagle_eye
    Originally posted by clairaay
    Can't answer for Morrisons but at Tesco you need to go around 6 pm to get the 50% discount and around 7-7:30 pm (usually the latter) to get 70%+. The amount of discount will depend on the amount of stock they have and possibly on footfall, which is why I always make a point in going if the weather is bad. Occasionally I have got bargains later in the evening but I rarely shop after 8pm.

In my location finding yellow labels is not harder than it was 2 years ago and is easier if anything. However I rarely "pop in and out" and always look at what is available or potentially available before deciding to "wait it out" or go somewhere else.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

435Posts Today

6,204Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Snap post #BBCOurNextPM poll: Who do you think did best. (I had to have two in one category, so I picked randoml? https://t.co/gYTNBBn3SP

• Emily Maitliss being v mean to Boris using his own past quotes against him on Heathrow, having an election when lea? https://t.co/4baNAlmMid

• Wow - impressive performance from the 15 year old climate change activist. Not sure I'd have had such confidence when still at school.

• Follow Martin