Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 2
    • Smoosh
    • By Smoosh 5th Mar 13, 4:59 PM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 12,626 Thanks
    Smoosh
    I'm finding YS shopping harder and harder each time I go shopping. Hardly ever anything left and the reductions seem to be 50% at best.
    • HappyMJ
    • By HappyMJ 5th Mar 13, 5:05 PM
    • 20,595 Posts
    • 17,201 Thanks
    HappyMJ
    For a fiver??? Where do you shop, Harrods?
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    I meant ... and nothing was there..I'd come home with the change.

Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money.
    • MavisTheMaven
    • By MavisTheMaven 6th Mar 13, 11:16 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    MavisTheMaven
    I'm finding YS shopping harder and harder each time I go shopping. Hardly ever anything left and the reductions seem to be 50% at best.
    Originally posted by Smoosh
    50% is still not to be sniffed at, though, cutting your food bill by 50% is pretty impressive, look at it that way.
    Grocery Challenge - February 100
    • Smoosh
    • By Smoosh 6th Mar 13, 6:04 PM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 12,626 Thanks
    Smoosh
    50% is still not to be sniffed at, though, cutting your food bill by 50% is pretty impressive, look at it that way.
    Originally posted by Lady Muck
    Oh yes, it's definitely better than paying full price! It's just a bit of a sore point when only a few months ago 90% reductions were easy to come by.

As it turns out, I had a really good reduced shop yesterday and one of those days where for 5 I did have bags and bags full! I suppose it depends on the day, and the timing, but it is certainly getting more difficult.
  • Mammy0f4
    Thanks for all the replies
    SAHM to 4 Little Monkeys
    Credit Card Debt Paid: 1,230.01/4,875.00
    Emergency Fund: 200/500
    • eagle_eye
    • By eagle_eye 7th Mar 13, 10:26 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    eagle_eye
    I also use the green stay fresh bags from Lakeland so any yellow sticker veg lasts much longer than it would if it wasn't in the bags, never have to chuck it away. Anyway, some things get cleared before they are even ripe! I have four rock solid avocados in here that I got a couple of days ago.
    Originally posted by Lady Muck
    Many Thanks for that. I have ordered some.
    • ricky_v
    • By ricky_v 7th Mar 13, 11:27 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    ricky_v
    8:30pm Mondays is bread night rarely get breads for more than 10p, Thursdays 7:30pm is meat night about 1/6th of the original price is about as good as it's going to get, I only go to one shop however living on your own helps. Good bargains I've had in the past from the top of my head included Gressingham's duck legs 7 down to 1.20-odd, breads going for 2p, and last week fish from 1.20-odd to about 10p.

Like others I generally avoid getting bread for >10p (unless desperate), meats must be reduced more than 50%
  • Pamsy
    Just returned from Morrisons having done my normal weekly shop, I usually go on a Saturday afternoon where you don't get much in the way of reductions but this evening I managed to get lots of bread rolls, packs of 4 multi grain for 15p, large whole multi grain loaf for 25p. There were lots of other things reduced but I resisted as I am trying to use up what's in my freezer.
    • juno
    • By juno 8th Mar 13, 8:33 PM
    • 6,436 Posts
    • 9,153 Thanks
    juno
    My daddy is really good at getting bargains! I went through his fridge yesterday (for research purposes) and he'd got a pack of 2 large pork chops for 60p, some prawns for 10p, and some fish pieces (can't remember what kind of fish) for about 30p.

I went to Morrisons today and got some mushrooms for 60p - but they're not normal, boring mushrooms, they're some weird variety I haven't identified yet. They also had some brown crackly topped mushrooms for the same price, but I left those.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt 4578.27 0.00
    100% paid off

• Eeyore2009
    75p for mussels in the shell in white wine sause in co op

spring greens for 35p

broccolli 55p

lamb shanks 55p - tesco
  • RustyBadge
    Went to Morrisons yesterday just in time for 2nd yellow sticker reductions: Got loads of stuff, they were struggling to reduce it by 5pm ... not many people about, therefore I got:

4 sizzle steaks = 99p
    2 large joints of topside beef = 2.65 each
    large gammon joint = 1.99
    large bag potatoes = 89p
    2 large pieces fish in batter = 99p
    caul cheese in large box = 65p
    chicken with stuffing in box = 1.59
    gammon with honey glaze in same type of box as chick = 1.59
    large Lurpack spread = 1.59
    2 packs prawns @ 65p each (the ones that you have to peel yourself)

... plus loads more

... Morrisons must be struggling !!
    • CupOfChai
    • By CupOfChai 15th Mar 13, 3:25 PM
    • 1,319 Posts
    • 7,295 Thanks
    CupOfChai
    Bah, I never get anything that cheap, and I have never seen loaves of bread for 10p. Although once or twice I have pulled off the "shop pays you" trick, very proud of that!
    • Enid0511
    • By Enid0511 15th Mar 13, 7:07 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    Enid0511
    Mr W
    I got lucky this evening

4 shepherds pies from 5.49 to 59 p each !!!!

I timed it just right for once
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 15th Mar 13, 7:11 PM
    • 4,363 Posts
    • 30,028 Thanks
    tessie bear
    i got some bread in sainsbobs for 10p a loaf...well pleased with that
    onwards and upwards
  • Pamsy
    Called in Morries this afternoon, managed to get peppered smoked mackerel x2, 2.88-1.79 & 2.23 - 1.35, also some beef steak mince from 4 - 2.49. All in freezer.
    • Amusville
    • By Amusville 16th Mar 13, 9:01 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    Amusville
    I was in Tesco about 8.30 last night and got 2 fresh loafs at 6p each. Very pleased!
    • calash
    • By calash 16th Mar 13, 9:43 AM
    • 3,529 Posts
    • 134,339 Thanks
    calash
    I didn't realise Morrisons did a second sticker :-) is that about the same time everyday?? suppose its different from store to store as well
  • alandbailey
    I went to Morrisons at 8.30pm last night and saw a short fat bloke with his trolley full of reduced items. He confirmed he had taken all the good stuff on the reduced shelf and was going to serve it in his pub (Rose and Crown, Wells) today, even though the best before date was yesterday.
    He had a lot of blue cheese at 19p - I asked him if he would let me have one - he refused. We are all a bit greedy, But I look my age (69) and wanted a lump of cheese for me, not to sell to the public at an inflated price. Guess which pub I will avoid in future.
    • Celia
    • By Celia 17th Mar 13, 4:07 PM
    • 299 Posts
    • 812 Thanks
    Celia
    I went to Tesco this afternoon for some normal shopping and also to look at what reductions there were. I am used to people pushing and shoving and grabbing but one woman astounded me.

The assistant took all the stuff off the shelf in a box out to the back where he marked them down and then brought them back. (presumably they don't do them on the shop floor because of the behaviour of some of the customers!) This woman snatched about 80% of the items from the box - must have been 12 or 15 items and put them in her basket and went off.

Then saw her round the corner - sorting what she wanted and then she sauntered back and put half of it back on the shelf!

She did a similar thing with veg and bread. She only had plastic carriers which were groaning under the weight and I (ok rather childishly) hoped they would split!

She was well dressed and made up and yes, maybe she is able to be like that because she takes care to get bargains but it really makes me mad to see people be so greedy.

Rant over!
    • frosty
    • By frosty 18th Mar 13, 8:55 AM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 2,179 Thanks
    frosty
    I called in Tesco last night at 7.30,they close at 8pm,the reduced section was full of 10p items.I managed to buy a months worth of meat for my family for the grand total of 2.60 ( joints of meat,mince,chicken breasts,a large chicken)A pack of 12 sausage rolls for 10p,ready meals that were 4.99 were now 10p,too much to list.The store was really quiet,it's harder to find the bargains because a lot of people are hunting for them aswell.Alot of people must of been sat at home thinking its not worth going because all the bargains will be gone.There was heaps of the expensive bread for 10p.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

276Posts Today

3,786Users online

Martin's Twitter