Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: Do you use tea bags or tea leaves?

Tea Bags

69.44% • 150 votes

Tea Leaves

32.87% • 71 votes

You may not vote on this poll

216 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • Jolaaled
    • By Jolaaled 9th Apr 05, 6:29 AM
    • 1,038Posts
    • 2,504Thanks
    Jolaaled
    Tea Bags vs. Loose tea leaves
    • 9th Apr 05, 6:29 AM
    Tea Bags vs. Loose tea leaves 9th Apr 05 at 6:29 AM
    I started to use loose tea recently, having previously always stuck to using tea bags, in the hope that it's a bit cheaper. Has anyone out there already done the maths on this one???
    ( i've found it much better for the compost heap, cos those little white bags seem to take at least 2 years to compost down!).
    thanks
Page 3
    • Midas
    • By Midas 8th Jun 05, 8:46 PM
    • 563 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    Midas
    Clipper have fairtrade tea (including loose leaf) available from their online shop:

http://www.clipper-teas.com/

Midas.
    • Aril
    • By Aril 11th Jun 05, 10:58 AM
    • 1,880 Posts
    • 16,730 Thanks
    Aril
    We always start our day with a pot of freshly brewed tea made from mixing normal loose tea and Earl Grey and then I move onto tea bags for convenience after that. No doubt the former tastes better though. I enjoy mint tea as an alternative - have made it from fresh on occasion which is delicious but have also found the Lidl mint tea bags are loads cheaper that the other supermarkets and taste fine

Regards
    Aril
  • filigree
    I tried a direct price comparison, Sainsbury's Red Label One Cup teabags cost 1.49 for 250g, loose Red Label tealeaves cost 0.98 for 250g. I bought the loose leaves and dusted off the one-cup teapot I got for my birthday

I'm not sure if I'm using more tea by weight, I suppose I could cut open a teabag and see if there's a teaspoon's worth in there. :confused:

Trouble is, with a pot on the go it's tempting to top up with more water and have a second mug, I'm recycling the leaves but drinking more tea over all and my dentist with have strong words with me about that!
    • Chipps
    • By Chipps 11th Jun 05, 3:51 PM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 4,802 Thanks
    Chipps
    I prefer real - er I mean - loose tea rather than bags. Except I do get lazy & use teabags more often than not. Also dh is not supposed to have too much caffeine & I have not yet seen loose decaff tea.
    We have a bodum teapot with the filter in, and also a lovely china teapot from ikea which has a handle that swings - it also comes off, cos it's aluminium so you can take it off while the tea is brewing - that way it doesn't get too hot!
    I also have a very nice looking teapot which mil bought for us - but it is awful, pours tea almost anywhere but in the cup!
    • BACKFRMTHEEDGE
    • By BACKFRMTHEEDGE 21st Mar 06, 8:16 AM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 1,895 Thanks
    BACKFRMTHEEDGE
    Is OS loose tea Cheap?
    Does anyone know which is cheaper OS loose tea or tea bags. I know it depends which brand etc you buy, but in general? Do you think loose tea makes a better cuppa.

TTFN
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 21st Mar 06, 8:28 AM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    I haven't used loose black tea for ages but I do use loose green tea. I find it makes a much better cuppa and it's a lot cheaper - you can get a lot more than 20 cups out of a carton, which is how many tea bags you get in a box, for about the same money. I would think the same would apply to 'ordinary' tea.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 21st Mar 06, 8:33 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Does anyone know which is cheaper OS loose tea or tea bags. I know it depends which brand etc you buy, but in general? Do you think loose tea makes a better cuppa.

TTFN
    by BACKFRMTHEEDGE
    Hiya

We have an earlier thread talking of the merits and economies of using loose tea and so I've added your query on to the end of it.

Posts are listed in date order, so you'll need to read from the beginning to catch up.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • Cullumpster
    • By Cullumpster 21st Mar 06, 11:55 AM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 826 Thanks
    Cullumpster
    Im a bag girl i'm afraid guys, but my BF like his tea as weak as knats pi55 so i use 1 bag for both.

I love strong orangey coloured tea and i find that loose tea doesn't go as strong.

Other question for you all strong tea folks, is it me or do you have to make your tea in a white / light cup ?? i can't drink a cup of tea unless i can see the colour of it :confused: i think i should go to the quack
    • kittie
    • By kittie 21st Mar 06, 1:35 PM
    • 12,444 Posts
    • 79,058 Thanks
    kittie
    whittards sells leaf teas. Months ago I bought a stainless steel pot with strainer from them. It is a heavier type and does a good straining job

http://www.whittard.co.uk/
    • BACKFRMTHEEDGE
    • By BACKFRMTHEEDGE 21st Mar 06, 5:24 PM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 1,895 Thanks
    BACKFRMTHEEDGE
    Thanks squeaky!
    • kittie
    • By kittie 20th Jun 06, 7:39 AM
    • 12,444 Posts
    • 79,058 Thanks
    kittie
    I have tried lots of ways of brewing loose tea but always reverted back to tea bags.I have tried the balls and stopped using them because the tea was always packed in after swelling in the water. I used a tea pot with an internal strainer but it was a bit big for tea for one. I used a tea pot with a small sieve but that was messy to clean.

I am back to loose tea after finding a fab strainer with a lid, which works brilliantly well in a mug
    http://www.lakelandlimited.co.uk/product.aspx/!10880

Oh the taste!! lovely!! It is very easy to clean. I notice that the mugs are browner inside after just one cup so there must be something different in loose tea. I am going to buy another one for my DH as it beats the teapot

Thank you lakeland as I have looked everywhere for a strainer that works and is as easy as a tea bag
  • SusanCarter
    I grew up with loose tea and was always told that it was better because you could decide how much you want to use (i.e. you can't use half a tea bag). I find now I have to use teabags as most fairtrade/deacffeinated tea is in bags. I like to make it in the pot if I use a tea bag because I just feel it is so wasteful otherwise as I can get three mugs out of one teabag. People say it tastes nicer if it's made "properly" but the only thing which makes me dislike teabag tea is when it is made in the mug because it ends up much too strong for me. I haven't done a price comparison but I'd say that as long as you squeeze as much tea as you can from every tea bag it shouldn't be too different.
  • filigree

TTFN
    by BACKFRMTHEEDGE
    After my last post I did an experiment and compared Sainsbury's Red Label teabags against the loose leaf. I cut open a teabag and measured the contents, it was just about a teaspoon which is the amount of loose tea I would use for one person. The loose leaf was cheaper by weight which meant it was cheaper per cup. The teapot was a birthday present so it didn't cost me anything.

This proved it was cheaper for me to use loose tea, but everybody has different tastes and they might find teabags are cheaper or tastier.
  • willow girl
    OK, you've got me thinking I might try loose tea for a while and see how I get on. I'm coming to the end of my bags so this would be good time, although as the only tea drinker in the house, don't know whether my DH will make me a cuppa anymore :rolleyes: . Better keep some bags just in case and use the loose tea when I have the time to enjoy it.
    MFiT-T2 No.35
  • tawnyowls
    I am very lucky that we all like our tea very very light, so we reuse the same teabag two or three times. We drink a lot of roiboosch (red tea) which is supposed to be reused apparently, but we do the same with regular tea. It does not work very well with herbal teas because the teabags are calibrated to to only 1 cup and after the first teapot they lose the flavour.
    by Caterina
    Me too - 1 teabag makes 2 mugs of tea for me.

As you like the redbush tea, have you see the ones in Aldi? They do plain, and also flavoured with vanilla (don't like these much), orange (yummy) and caramel (haven't tried it yet). They also do a very nice green tea with lemon.
    • pennineman
    • By pennineman 11th May 07, 2:41 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,934 Thanks
    pennineman
    Tea Bags or Tea Leaves
    Well, which do you use?

And when / why?
    Where now?
    • belfastgirl23
    • By belfastgirl23 11th May 07, 2:44 PM
    • 7,750 Posts
    • 15,597 Thanks
    belfastgirl23
    Tea leaves when making a pot for more than one.

Tea bag when it's just for me (though I still use a pot!) - too much trouble to wash tea leaves out of the teapot for just one person

The leaves are def nicer.

• Tam Lin
    Depends what kind of tea - some of the green teas like Genmaicha I use leaves in a tea-ball. Your bog-standard PG Tips is a bag in the pot (never just a cup) for me.
    Nelly's other Mr. Hyde
    • spendaholic
    • By spendaholic 11th May 07, 3:02 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 7,664 Thanks
    spendaholic
    I use Tetley organic teabags because I like the taste of Tetley. If they did loose tea I'd get that too as I have this lovely mug from Hungary that has it's own tea strainer and a matchng pot lid. I use this mug when I'm in the garden anyway as the pot lid keeps it warm and the flies out, but it should really be used for keeping the tea warm while the tea leaves mash.

Oh, and I think Tetley do actually do loose tea, just not organic loose tea. Unless you know different.

I like tea made in a teapot, and use teabags for that anyway, I just don't use the teapot that often as making it in a mug is so quick and easy and less washing up.
    Highest debt: 35k (2005); Current debt: 6k (2018)
    MY WINS

2 tickets to the Home Building & Renovation show; 50 to spend on chocolate; 2 tickets to see the Harlem Globetrotters; designer cat food caddy; 2,500 cash; 36 cash; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Creative Craft Show tickets; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Beyond the Pole DVD; 1,000 cash; Legend of the Guardians goody bag; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • Plum Pie
    I have a small teapot for just me in the morning in the week. I have a large teapot for just me in the morning at the weekend and for guests.

I drink leaf ceylon tea which I buy in massive cheap bags from my local Turkish corner shop. I also drink bagged herbal tea (camomile, olive leaf). I also like herbal infusions made from ingredients such as fresh ginger root, fresh lemon, dried cinnamon stick.

Can you tell I love tea and all tea-a-likes?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,122Posts Today

7,944Users online

Martin's Twitter