Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: Do you use tea bags or tea leaves?

Tea Bags

69.44% • 150 votes

Tea Leaves

32.87% • 71 votes

You may not vote on this poll

216 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • Jolaaled
    • By Jolaaled 9th Apr 05, 6:29 AM
    • 1,038Posts
    • 2,504Thanks
    Jolaaled
    Tea Bags vs. Loose tea leaves
    • 9th Apr 05, 6:29 AM
    Tea Bags vs. Loose tea leaves 9th Apr 05 at 6:29 AM
    I started to use loose tea recently, having previously always stuck to using tea bags, in the hope that it's a bit cheaper. Has anyone out there already done the maths on this one???
    ( i've found it much better for the compost heap, cos those little white bags seem to take at least 2 years to compost down!).
    thanks
Page 13
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 9th Mar 18, 10:24 PM
    • 9,519 Posts
    • 31,953 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I've heard some teabags just do not fully compost being partly plastic.

Treat tea? Cardews in Oxford - oh yes - was taken there regularly as a child. Though Whittards do a startling range of possibles too & may be easier to find locally. Frankly, ask anyone (who's opinion you trust) where they'd go for a gift tea & try it. I've a Welsh mate who's Japanese wife ships M&S tea home to appreciative family - it is all in the palate.

If you want to do loose tea, get a proper teapot (and there is a wide choice in most charity shops) & china to drink it out of. It doesn't have to be the full tea ceremony every time, but good china adds something that isn't just about price.

Whichever way you jump, enjoy it!
    • maryb
    • By maryb 10th Mar 18, 11:10 AM
    • 3,988 Posts
    • 49,526 Thanks
    maryb
    I've been using loose tea for two months now, having started when I realised that tea bags contained plastic. However I'm finding it messy. I empty the teapot into a sieve in the sink but it doesn't drain very well and when I empty the sieve into the food waste bucket it drips on the floor and small clumps of tea leaves shoot sideways onto the floor. Also my sink looks horribly stained.

I'm heartened to see that some food manufacturers say they are going to switch over to a material made from corn starch for their tea bags. Looks like the market will come up with the solution and I will happily go back to tea bags
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • Susan1962
    • By Susan1962 10th Mar 18, 6:58 PM
    • 284 Posts
    • 4,405 Thanks
    Susan1962
    Not 100 % certain but I think the better quality the tea, the bigger the leaves as teabags are full of jus dregs! Perhaps switching to loose leaf but goin "up" a brand might be the best option?
    Looking ahead
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th Mar 18, 9:06 AM
    • 16,752 Posts
    • 143,510 Thanks
    JackieO
    tea bags are handy for me and at the moment I am happy with the twinings I bought via a money off voucher .My late Mum swore by her brook Bond Divi tea and we all grew up drinking it (I think she liked the 5/- postal order that came every so often when her divi card was filled up with stamps ) I don't think I would return to loose tea as living alone ,even though I have a small tea pot I could be bothered with the mess.Hopefully the tea compaanies will bow to public pressure and produce a environmentally friendly tea bag soon.

JackieO
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Kjd
    • By Kjd 7th May 19, 5:36 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kjd
    Worth knowing
    I watched a document last night on how teabags are made and now will be switching to loose tea!
    Tea bags have plastic added to the paper membrane! Thereís no way that can be healthy having plastic dunked into your mug of boiling water and drinking it!
    Just my opinion and Iím going with my instincts on this one! Definitely loose tea from now on!
    • maisie cat
    • By maisie cat 7th May 19, 6:38 AM
    • 710 Posts
    • 884 Thanks
    maisie cat
    I stopped using t bags when I realised that the bags were plastic a couple of years ago. Loose tea tastes so much better and is cheaper. We always used a teapot anyway, so no change there. I empty the teapot in the garden somewhere.
    • richj
    • By richj 7th May 19, 6:45 AM
    • 270 Posts
    • 411 Thanks
    richj
    I stopped using t bags when I realised that the bags were plastic a couple of years ago. Loose tea tastes so much better and is cheaper. We always used a teapot anyway, so no change there. I empty the teapot in the garden somewhere.
    Originally posted by maisie cat
    where do you get your loose tea from? It always seems more expensive to me.
    • pws52
    • By pws52 7th May 19, 12:03 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 801 Thanks
    pws52
    The big supermarkets sell loose leaf tea although not the range that they used to.
    I buy Yorkshire tea and mix it with own brand.
    Keeps the cost down a bit.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 7th May 19, 12:43 PM
    • 7,340 Posts
    • 13,896 Thanks
    Farway
    where do you get your loose tea from? It always seems more expensive to me.
    Originally posted by richj
    It is more expensive except for the cheap own label stuff from likes of Asda, morries etc

You may love this, many must or it would not be on the shelves. I find it is mainly dust so I buy my loose from W/rose, plenty of choice but maybe not MSE enough for your requirements?
    • tiredwithtwins
    • By tiredwithtwins 18th May 19, 8:05 AM
    • 463 Posts
    • 1,532 Thanks
    tiredwithtwins
    im a convert to loose leaf tea, cant stand the taste from teabags now!
    I have a glass square teapot that has an infuser down the middle .. a heaped teaspoon and a bit makes about 3 or 4 cups (I just top up with boiling water when ive poured a cup!). the last cup is a bit on the weak side (I like it really strong) but you can still really taste the tea. I usually have this last cup to wash my tablets down with lol.
    bag of marks and sparkles loose leaf tea for about £1.80ish lasts for about 80-100+ pots of tea ...
    dec gc epic fail!/150 ..jan 140/160 ..feb gc 90/150
    mar 100/120 apr 85/120
    wading through the treacle of life!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

160Posts Today

1,276Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin