Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: Do you use tea bags or tea leaves?

Tea Bags

69.44% • 150 votes

Tea Leaves

32.87% • 71 votes

You may not vote on this poll

216 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • Jolaaled
    • By Jolaaled 9th Apr 05, 6:29 AM
    • 1,038Posts
    • 2,504Thanks
    Jolaaled
    Tea Bags vs. Loose tea leaves
    • 9th Apr 05, 6:29 AM
    Tea Bags vs. Loose tea leaves 9th Apr 05 at 6:29 AM
    I started to use loose tea recently, having previously always stuck to using tea bags, in the hope that it's a bit cheaper. Has anyone out there already done the maths on this one???
    ( i've found it much better for the compost heap, cos those little white bags seem to take at least 2 years to compost down!).
    thanks
Page 1
  • archived user
    • 9th Apr 05, 9:09 AM
    • 9th Apr 05, 9:09 AM
    I have tried using loose tea in the past and its worked out loads cheaper, however, i cant buy a tea strainer fine enough so that it doesnt leave a residue at the bottem of the cup. I dont use a tea pot though as we dont drink enough tea to warrant buying one.
  • Queenie
    • 9th Apr 05, 9:15 AM
    • 9th Apr 05, 9:15 AM
    I have tried using loose tea in the past and its worked out loads cheaper, however, i cant buy a tea strainer fine enough so that it doesnt leave a residue at the bottem of the cup. I dont use a tea pot though as we dont drink enough tea to warrant buying one.
    by Judi
    On the one occasion we were forced to stop at a motorway cafe, they served the tea with a plastic inner cup which held the tealeaves and you lifted it out when you'd got the required strength of brew - being the skinflint I am, I put ours into my bag ... everyone else threw them away!! If you know of anyone who uses motorway cafes, might be worth asking them to keep an eye out for them for you?

Trouble is, the residue will happen whatever you do because of any fine 'dust' from the leaves. Hence, "dregs" - great for tipping into your houseplants though
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • Magentasue
    • By Magentasue 9th Apr 05, 10:11 AM
    • 4,201 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    Magentasue
    • 9th Apr 05, 10:11 AM
    • 9th Apr 05, 10:11 AM
    I only use tea leaves - if it's just me I have a little gadget like a pair of tongs that you put the tea in and use in a cup. My teapot was half price in Sainsburys and has a lift out section for the tea. Both ways leave some tea in the cup but I just leave the last bit. I prefer loose tea - I mix a pack of Earl Grey with a pack of Assam. Even if it cost more, I'd continue - can only be fraction of penny, can't it?
    Last edited by Magentasue; 09-04-2005 at 10:37 AM.
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    • 9th Apr 05, 10:23 AM
    • 9th Apr 05, 10:23 AM
    Treat yourself to a little teapot and let it brew properly before you pour it out. You get a much better cup of tea and for Green Tea it's half the price that is comparing Clipper loose Green tea with Green tea bags.
    • FrankieM
    • By FrankieM 9th Apr 05, 10:59 AM
    • 2,255 Posts
    • 20,822 Thanks
    FrankieM
    • 9th Apr 05, 10:59 AM
    • 9th Apr 05, 10:59 AM
    I use teabags...I make a big pot brew to the right favour and then take the bags out. I can then pour myself a cup during the day and heat it up in the microwave.
    It sounds worse than it atually is!!! really!

I get about 6 or 7 cups out of 2 teabags!

Does this make me a proper money saver or just a real tight !!!!?
    • Magentasue
    • By Magentasue 9th Apr 05, 11:06 AM
    • 4,201 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    Magentasue
    • 9th Apr 05, 11:06 AM
    • 9th Apr 05, 11:06 AM
    FrankieM - do you work at Asda? I had a cup of tea in there once, could have been the same as yours.
    • THIRZAH
    • By THIRZAH 9th Apr 05, 1:45 PM
    • 1,415 Posts
    • 7,372 Thanks
    THIRZAH
    • 9th Apr 05, 1:45 PM
    • 9th Apr 05, 1:45 PM
    I use both- bags are ok for a quick single cuppa but prefer leaf tea.
    Has anyone else noticed that typhoo leaf tea seems to have vanished from the shops or is it just my local shops?
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 9th Apr 05, 2:03 PM
    • 5,786 Posts
    • 40,160 Thanks
    Caterina
    • 9th Apr 05, 2:03 PM
    • 9th Apr 05, 2:03 PM
    I am very lucky that we all like our tea very very light, so we reuse the same teabag two or three times. We drink a lot of roiboosch (red tea) which is supposed to be reused apparently, but we do the same with regular tea. It does not work very well with herbal teas because the teabags are calibrated to to only 1 cup and after the first teapot they lose the flavour.

Because I like tea so very light, I think that leaf tea would be a waste for me!

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    • Xbigman
    • By Xbigman 9th Apr 05, 4:26 PM
    • 3,232 Posts
    • 1,438 Thanks
    Xbigman
    Does this make me a proper money saver or just a real tight !!!!?
    by FrankieM
    They are the same thing really
    Regards

X
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
    • Jolaaled
    • By Jolaaled 9th Apr 05, 6:51 PM
    • 1,038 Posts
    • 2,504 Thanks
    Jolaaled
    wow..i thought i was just about the last person on the planet still using tealeaves! looks like most of you think it is cheaper than tea bags..i'll carry on for a while and see what i save. I haven't seen pg tips loose tea, but i just use tesco's own brand.
  • Loadsabob
    For you tealeaf users - how many medium strength cups from a bag of leaf tea? (250g / 500g, whichever you use, I may buy either tomorrow when I make the switch!)

I've long thought it must be cheaper to buy leaf tea. I only buy fairtrade tea, so won't be able to save money by changing brands, but perhaps with leaves...

I have made tea from loose in a cafetiere in the past - I may strain it as well. Some loose teas have much larger leaves than the stuff in bags, so less tea dust perhaps?...
  • mink35
    Sorry - never tried to work out how many I get to a box. Taste outweighs the cost as far as I'm concerned so although I have teabags in the house as well I rarely use them
    Mink
    • ocemeer
    • By ocemeer 3rd Jun 05, 10:30 AM
    • 417 Posts
    • 1,451 Thanks
    ocemeer
    Loose tea a yes for me
    Ive just switched to loose tea (prompted by my gran giving me one of those tea bells and it being yellow stickered) as everyone has said the taste is soooo much better than tea bags (especially if like me you have a love of posh teas like assam and earl grey). Tea balls are about £2 in kitchen shops so quite cheap , but i now use a bodum teapot with the inner for tea leaves, which i got from a charity shop for....£2.
    now if only the DH would drink instant coffee (he does not drink tea), unless anyone knows of good strong 'real' coffee at a decent price.
    Herbal tea, for some flavours you can make your own.
    Peppermint, Nettle, Danedelion, just pick the fresh young leaves and dry like you would herbs (whether in the airing cupboard or it is possible to do it in the microwave), when dry store in airtight jars and use as you would loose tea, lovely and good for you.
    • Midas
    • By Midas 3rd Jun 05, 10:31 AM
    • 563 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    Midas
    Yes the main thing about loose leaf is the better cuppa you get at the end of it. I haven't done the maths, but I think it works out about roughly the same cost, but the better taste makes loose leaf better value.

As Ted says, it definitely works out cheaper with speciality teas (green etc) as these are relatively expensive. You need a little pot to really make these nicely though, whereas the bags are nice and easy to use at work or whatever.

The best policy is probably to have both in: bags for when you're in a rush, and leafs for when you have the time to appreciate a good cuppa.

The lovely people at the nice cup of tea website seem to favour bags...

http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/tea/
    Last edited by Midas; 03-06-2005 at 10:34 AM.
    Midas.
    • Mado
    • By Mado 3rd Jun 05, 9:47 PM
    • 20,484 Posts
    • 42,143 Thanks
    Mado
    OH gave me once a very POSH teapot... Italian Aventi which has a built-in very fine strainer; not a single debris in my tea ever and always tastes really good. (I like Waitrose own Gold mix for everyday). Also pour beautifully.
    I know they are not cheap but at least being metal it should last forever.
    pop in the dishwasher regularly.
    I lost my job as a cricket commentator for saying “I don’t want to bore you with the details”.Milton Jones
  • idiot
    the cost is not really an issue on this one. a nice cuppa is essential, and leaves are the only way to ensure this.
    • pol
    • By pol 4th Jun 05, 5:54 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 1,563 Thanks
    pol
    We've been drinking loose tea for over 30 years, there is no comparison as far as taste goes. Hubby drinks breakfast tea and I like Earl Grey. I bought Earl Grey teabags once and ended up throwing them away, they were disgusting. The only teabags I buy nowadays are the fruit ones which I make wine from.

pol
    • THIRZAH
    • By THIRZAH 4th Jun 05, 7:01 PM
    • 1,415 Posts
    • 7,372 Thanks
    THIRZAH
    I've always used leaf tea but can no longer buy my favourite- Typhoo. Does anyone know if it's still avaliable.
    • moggins
    • By moggins 4th Jun 05, 9:34 PM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 10,159 Thanks
    moggins
    Tea!!!! Yuk yuk yuk
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,122Posts Today

6,545Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin