Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 28th Jun 10, 8:22 AM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    MSE News: 5-only cash machines launched
    • 28th Jun 10, 8:22 AM
    MSE News: 5-only cash machines launched 28th Jun 10 at 8:22 AM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

Read the full story:

5-only cash machines launched

Page 2
  • Rainbow Liberty
    If they do actually have 4 slots for notes then wouldn't it be possible to fill 2 with 20 1 with 10 and one with 5. Only dispense 5 notes to amounts ending in 5. Even amounts i.e. 40 would only dispense 20 notes and Odd amounts i.e. 70 would be made up of 3 x 20 and one 10. This should help prevent the machine running out too quickly surely rather than dispensing the smaller denomination notes first.
    Rainbow
    Liberty
    • stclair
    • By stclair 28th Jun 10, 7:21 PM
    • 6,528 Posts
    • 3,464 Thanks
    stclair
    The 21 free to use machines are located in: Manchester, Stroud, Oakham, Oxford, Cardiff,
    Paddock Wood, St Mellons, Portsmouth, Strathaven, Axminster, Newton Abbott, Banchory,
    Swaffham, North Walsham, Penzance, Cannock, Crosby, Beaconsfield, Lower Early, Market
    Rasen, Fleet.

http://www.bankmachine.com/downloads/20100623_Fivers_national_FNL.pdf

Thatll be interesting I struggle to get a ten pound note out of a normal machine most of the time let alone a fiver.
    Last edited by stclair; 28-06-2010 at 9:31 PM.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
    • corbyboy
    • By corbyboy 28th Jun 10, 9:52 PM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 1,378 Thanks
    corbyboy
    The only cash machine that dispenses fivers I have ever seen was at university.

There are definitely not enough fivers in circulation.
  • Dr_Cuckoo3
    I bet that these 5 machines are the pay-to-use type. Seems a bit cynical to target people on a limited budget who might want to withdraw only a small amount of cash but are being charged for the privilege.
    Originally posted by ultrawomble

I wouldn't be surprised if that is their long term plan

However there is also the inter bank fee to consider , which I thought was a flat fee regardless of amount ?(I could be wrong)

Bank Machine doesn't issue cards as far as I am aware - so they will only be receiving the fee and not paying it (unlike the banks)
    • xmaslolly76
    • By xmaslolly76 28th Jun 10, 10:50 PM
    • 3,928 Posts
    • 10,661 Thanks
    xmaslolly76
    My local hsbc cash point dispences 5 notes anyway if you ask for less than 20 it always has done.
    Friends are like fabric you can never have enough
  • jumpycheese1
    It really annoys me when I am working on the checkouts at work when customers say 'Have you got any fivers?' when I give out 7 change in 2 and 1 coins. They expect me to produce one out of thin air. If I can produce money from thin air, I wouldn't be working.
    "The reason we're successful, darling? My overall charisma, of course." -- Freddie Mercury

Friends are kisses blown to us by angels - Anon.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 29th Jun 10, 1:37 AM
    • 4,735 Posts
    • 1,550 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    It would be good if the other banks identified which machines have out fivers on their website or on Links'...

The only other problem I can see if that some card issuers may not be setup for only 5. I recall my BOS Cashpoint card would only accept multiples of 10 whereas my Barclays debit card would let me take a 5 out at the same Lloyds machine.
    • Old Wrinkly
    • By Old Wrinkly 29th Jun 10, 2:40 PM
    • 4,918 Posts
    • 8,450 Thanks
    Old Wrinkly
    It really annoys me when I am working on the checkouts at work when customers say 'Have you got any fivers?' when I give out 7 change in 2 and 1 coins. They expect me to produce one out of thin air. If I can produce money from thin air, I wouldn't be working.
    Originally posted by jumpycheese1
    Why should it annoy you when customers ask a perfectly reasonable question in a reasonable way?
    A five-pound note weighs a lot less than 2 2 coins and a 1 coin (or as is more likely, the 5 1 coins they will be given).
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 29th Jun 10, 2:45 PM
    • 7,611 Posts
    • 5,016 Thanks
    Biggles
    Originally posted by jumpycheese1
    No, I think they expect you to produce it from your till.
    • LimeLight
    • By LimeLight 29th Jun 10, 10:19 PM
    • 7,676 Posts
    • 13,550 Thanks
    LimeLight
    the Lloyds bank at the uni gives out crisp 5 notes in serial note numerical order!
    just passing through.... Nothing to see....
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 30th Jun 10, 7:25 AM
    • 14,071 Posts
    • 72,256 Thanks
    I luv cats
    Remember the 1 note
    I used to receive crisp 1 notes on my birthdays, lovely smell of new money!!

I'd feel richer with 5 notes and count them 1 by 1, (and perhaps safer) I like the 5 Euro notes.
  • sarahb2007
    I think it's a fantastic idea, and just wish they had one a bit more local to me. Hopefully they'll roll out even more though and then everyone can benefit from it! I always love getting a five pound note!!!
    • karenccs67
    • By karenccs67 30th Jun 10, 8:24 AM
    • 1,030 Posts
    • 5,512 Thanks
    karenccs67
    I would really like this, I too struggle to get 10 out of a ATM, it really annoys me when only 20 are dispensed. I am a LLoydstsb customer and here in Bedfordshire they haven't dispensed 5 for years.
    ***Dont save what is left after spending, spend what is left after saving***
    • mary1
    • By mary1 30th Jun 10, 8:48 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    mary1
    This is a very good idea dispensing 5 notes. However, it would be good if 10 notes could be dispensed as well. How about introducing these in the North East. Never had a 5 note from a cash machine.
    • morg_monster
    • By morg_monster 30th Jun 10, 8:51 AM
    • 2,359 Posts
    • 2,136 Thanks
    morg_monster
    Re the charging thing, the MSE story actually says that 700 out of 3000 Bank Machine ATMs are free to use. Their own website says they have 500 free ATMs. 21 of them are the 5 note machines. [just noticed that they are all in Martin McColl newsagent, so not going to be available 24/7]

personally I dno't think it'll make a difference for me in terms of spending/budgeting, I usually use my debit card as much as possible so I can look at my statement and see exactly where I've spent my . But certainly its true that almost every 5 note you ever get is in disgusting condition!!
    Last edited by morg_monster; 30-06-2010 at 8:56 AM.
  • OnlineLogic
    Brilliant.. A great example of Corporate Social Responsibility. A win win for the business and consumers.
  • Snakeeyes21
    WOW a whole 21 machines.
    Ill be back in 6 hours after I travel to London to get my last fiver out the cashpoint
    • Chrisblue1962
    • By Chrisblue1962 3rd Jul 10, 10:32 AM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 1,831 Thanks
    Chrisblue1962
    Hi, if you go to the counter in a Post Office for many accounts you can withdraw any amount you like, such as #5.00 or #13.00. It's one of the reasons I have a Co-op Cashminder account .
    DFW'er - Lightbulb moment : 31st July 2009 - 18,499
    26th December 2017 -
    14,554.00 - 21.3% paid off.
    Demolishing my House of Debt.. one brick at a time!!
    Thinking of spending???..YNAB says "NO!!!!"

• Willow92
    • By Willow92 28th Jan 11, 8:38 AM
    • 2,122 Posts
    • 13,093 Thanks
    Willow92
    I remember when my fiance payed for something in Tesco with a 5 note, the till woman said "Wow, you must be the only person in Wolverhampton with one of these."
    Savings 5,848 /7,000
    • theronkinator
    • By theronkinator 28th Jan 11, 9:58 AM
    • 175 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    theronkinator
    Ok for poor people I guess but just a big inconvenience for everyone else.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,182Posts Today

7,957Users online

Martin's Twitter