Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    dont_insure_with_rcib
    Car insurance - Avoid insuring with RCIB - Right Choice Insurance Brokers
    • 10th Mar 10, 7:07 PM
    Car insurance - Avoid insuring with RCIB - Right Choice Insurance Brokers 10th Mar 10 at 7:07 PM
    I will like to bring all those people searching for cheap car insurance to the attention of the sharp practices imposed by RCIB - Right Choice Insurance Brokers.

My Experience today Wednesday 10/03/2010:
    After searching numerous price comparison sites for a cheap car insurance quote, I found RCIB to be the cheapest on both confused.com and gocompare so went on to buy car insurance from them online.

The price quoted on both sites was approx £960 and this was the amount I paid for when completing payment online. However once payment complete I got a call from RCIB to confirm the details I entered to get that quote. I was extremely shocked to hear the sales rep state that I had been quoted wrongly and the actual price for insuring with them is approx £1333 (38% increase). Hearing that I asked if he could refund the amount I paid (so i can get insured elsewhere) however his reply was that I would incur an administration fee for a refund even though they (RCIB) themselves were responsible for providing me with an incorrect quotation. Having argued my point for a full refund with the sales rep (at this point i started recording the phone call, contact me for a listen) I was put on hold for over half an hour then to be told the sales manager would be in contact with me in 10 minutes. I did get this call at 4.55pm and just as i was about to explain the whole scenario I was told by this man that he finishes work at 5pm so I would have to email him the details of the issue and he will respond tomorrow.

That was my experience of Right Choice Insurance Brokers (RCIB) so let this be a warning to you all and I wish no one to ever go through the same. I am now left not knowing whether my car is insured, out of pocket and having to hitch a ride home leaving my car in the work car park (in order to avoid 6 points which is the penalty for driving without insurance)

I will persue RCIB tomorrow and let you guys know the outcome of my issue.

Please do post any suggestions as to how I could resolve this issue and get a full refund or get RCIB to honour their initial quote for car insurance. Also would be interesting to know your experiences with this insurer.

Many thanks
Page 3
  • hateliars
    RCIB COMPLETE LIARS.NEVER DEAL WITH THEM.THEY ROBBED ME £250 For 2 weeks coverage.Trust me.2014 RCIB still rob people money!!Damn angry with them!
  • hateliars
    Rcib staff are less than 60.team a.b.c.d.jack.collins.nick.they are all liars!!Rcib liars.I shouted to them.Serve them rite!+×÷=%_€£¥₩)(*&^/$#@!-'":;,? Damn angry!
  • annab1984
    A lucky escape...
    Having read this thread I cannot actually believe that these crooks have been getting away with this behavior, virtually unchallenged, for such a long time.

I was given my RCIB quote through comparethemarket.com two days ago. Two of the things CTM asked me were 1) my personal no claims and 2) the number of years that I had been a named driver on someone else's policy. The answers to which 2 years personal and 0 years on another policy. Based on this information I received a quote of £550.56 which I decided to opt for over Esure who were 20p more expensive but who's quote, unlike RCIB, did not include legal cover, this being £30 extra.

I am so thankful that I decided to phone them to confirm this price prior to paying for it online. When I spoke to the wide boy who took my call I was firstly insulted on my car of choice, him labeling it a "dustbin on wheels...." and secondly informed that apparently the price comparison website automatically assumed that as I have had my license for 10 years that I would either had have a higher lever of no claims or been a named driver on another person's policy, and so gave me 5 years no claims discount. I tried to explain that actually no, they had asked me and I had informed them that I had 2 years no claims and 0 years on anyone else's policy. Anyway, I thanked them and said I would go with another company, at which point I was rather tersely informed that I could do that if I want (glad he cleared up for me that I had this choice!) but that I would get the same deal from other insurers.

What a load of total, utter, crap!!! I went back to my Esure quote of £550.76, paid £30 extra for the legal cover and am all set to pick up my (definitely not a dustbin on wheels) new car tomorrow.

What a bunch of utter crooks, I firmly suggest that you avoid them at all costs, and I am shocked that price comparison websites continue to be associated with them!!!
    Last edited by annab1984; 28-02-2014 at 9:53 PM.
  • Westhampstead
    Right Choice Insurance Brokers - very dodgy
    Hi, I agree with the comments in this forum. I suggest any body looking to use RCIB should avoid them at all costs. Although they did not put up the premium like others they did ring and inform that the excess needs to go up after they'd spoken to the underwriter. Although frustrating, that was not my main issue as I was still in the 7 day cooling off period, so I just needed to cancel my insurance and get my money back. This took several emails until I got a letter confirming it was cancelled. The letter contained no details of the refund amount. Weeks later I discovered I'd only been refunded 60% of my premium even though the state a fee of £45 plus 7 days pro-rata insurance premium. I don't think the £45 fee is justifiable either as I think it would work out more than their annual fee. They won't respond to my emails asking for a breakdown on the refund and so I'm off to insurance ombudsman in 6 weeks.
  • Janvii
    Rcib
    I recently purchased a car insurance policy from RCIB which is due to be activated tomorrow: 1st sep 2014, however they haven't even sent me any confirmation documents which gave me a really bad feeling. I rang them up and was immediately put on hold for 20 mins and then after ringing up again they told me I would receive it in a few minutes however unsurprisingly I didn't and so I rang again, this happened 4-5 times and I still haven't received any confirmation. I decided I wanted to cancel my insurance policy however they said they're going to charge me £70 I cannot afford this at all, what can I do someone please help. I'm in a very difficult financial situation.
    • huckster
    • By huckster 31st Aug 14, 4:22 PM
    • 3,638 Posts
    • 1,609 Thanks
    huckster
    I recently purchased a car insurance policy from RCIB which is due to be activated tomorrow: 1st sep 2014, however they haven't even sent me any confirmation documents which gave me a really bad feeling. I rang them up and was immediately put on hold for 20 mins and then after ringing up again they told me I would receive it in a few minutes however unsurprisingly I didn't and so I rang again, this happened 4-5 times and I still haven't received any confirmation. I decided I wanted to cancel my insurance policy however they said they're going to charge me £70 I cannot afford this at all, what can I do someone please help. I'm in a very difficult financial situation.
    Originally posted by Janvii
    RCIB obviously cannot handle the volume of business they do online. You have read online about problems which has got you into a panic.

If you did not cancel, because you did not pay the fee for this, I would suggest that you phone them first thing tomorrow morning. Get verbal confirmation that RCIB have arranged cover for you, taking a note of the name of the person you speak to.
  • Polon
    I don't want to renew my car policy in RCIB
    Does anybody know how to do this ?
    I mean, send them a formal letter (registered mail) 1 month before ?
    Or maybe 3 months even ?

I called them, they told me I should tell them about this fact 10 days before the end of the policy. But I don't trust them.

Maybe somebody has exeprience with this ?

Would be grateful for any info.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 15th Sep 14, 2:48 PM
    • 39,287 Posts
    • 23,240 Thanks
    Quentin
    Send them a letter stating you wish the policy to lapse and do not wish to renew. Keep a copy and get a proof of posting from the post office.
  • Polon
    Send them a letter stating you wish the policy to lapse and do not wish to renew. Keep a copy and get a proof of posting from the post office.
    Originally posted by Quentin
    Yes, this is my plan. But how do you think: 3 months before, 1 month before ? When ?
    Last edited by Polon; 15-09-2014 at 3:00 PM.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 15th Sep 14, 4:16 PM
    • 39,287 Posts
    • 23,240 Thanks
    Quentin
    Doesn't really matter unless there is anything in the ts + cs regarding when you are to cancel the auto renewal.

Ask them to confirm your instructions back to you in writing for belt and braces.
  • Polon
    Doesn't really matter unless there is anything in the ts + cs regarding when you are to cancel the auto renewal.

Ask them to confirm your instructions back to you in writing for belt and braces.
    Originally posted by Quentin
    There is no chance to force them to confirm this back !
    This insurer is from the space, not from this planet, that's for sure !
    They don't answer on my phones, they don't answer on emails.
    No chance for confirmation. I am struggling with them 8 months already.

btw: there is nothing about the renewal in TC. It is said, that you have 14 days to cancel a new policy. So I assume they will collect 45Ł even if I send them my resignation.
    Last edited by Polon; 15-09-2014 at 4:28 PM.
  • Tazmaniac
    RCIB Right Choice still up to their old tricks
    I went online to get quotes for insurance 12/10/2014 before collecting a car I was buying... The best quote was from Right choice Insurance services at £850 a year so I accepted the quote and paid £181deposit online. I was informed an advisor would contact me to finalise details. Within the hour they called me and said they wanted to clarify my details before setting it up!!! It turns out the online price was wrong was going to be higher than what was quoted online!! He said that I needed pay £35 extra deposit and the premiums go from £70 to over £100 per month and the original 8 instalments would be 10
    I said forget it I’ll go elsewhere and was told no one else would insure me as he had all the insurers in the UK in front of him and that was the best quote.
    I had to hang up on him in the end as he would not get off the phone.
    I went onto my banks website and took out insurance through them. Though more expensive than the original quote it was substantial cheaper than the revised quote. I tried to pay and found that my account was light by £181 which when I looked in pending transactions was earmarked to Moneybookers London DE. I got back onto Right Choice who said it was pending because the transaction wasn’t complete at which point I pointed out it wasn’t going to happen and to release the money back to my account.
    I spent the next four hours going from my bank to their complaints dept. and only when I pointed out if that money leaves my account “my bank” can pursue it as fraudulent transaction did they get it back into my account.

• Amylea123
    Help!
    Hi I don't know if anyone can help me. If I explain my story then someone may be able to give me advice....

OK so my ex boyfriend and I bought a car, it was just a cheap runner, he had recently passed his test and couldn't get insured on his own policy due to a driving ban (before passing his test >:| ), so me (being stupid!) decided I would open a new policy and put myself as the main driver and him as the second then we could both use the car. The policy cost 1800 then went up to 2200 (when they call back etc) but he was so determined to get on the road he said he would pay the bigger half of the cost every month..... anyway... 4 months down the line we break up, I move back to my mums he stays in the house... obviously its too late to cancel the policy, so after looking at the cost I had to pay for the remainder of the policy, it was something over £1400, I didn't know what to do, neither of us had that kind of money, so I didn't inform that I wanted to cancel the policy as I knew they would take whatever there was in my bank, so I decided to cancel the direct debit...... now its 8 months after all this happened and im getting phonecalls and emails from a company called the insurance collections bureau, which I keep ignoring. Previous to all this I had a few stupid debts consolidated due to losing hours in work and things spiralling out of control, I have almost paid the full debts off, i want to start rebuilding credit but i cant when this policy is hanging over my head. Biggest regret of my life, tried to help somebody out and i get cheated on and left with a big bill. The way im thinking at the moment i would rather go to court and explain my full situation than pay any more money out to companies who rob people blind :@ (although i haven't got a court letter yet, letters would be going to exes address but he hasn't contacted to say whether any letters have come).

I hope this makes sense, apologies for spelling. Any advice is good advice at the moment
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 8th Nov 14, 1:00 PM
    • 39,287 Posts
    • 23,240 Thanks
    Quentin
    Stopping the dd was your error.

You need to see if it's not too late to cancel the policy now, though they probably already cancelled it due to your default.

If so you have a lifelong problem in that a cancelled policy remains on your record for ever and most mainstream insurers just won't entertain anyone with this in their history.

As far as the debt goes expect them to pursue you for it. So try and come to an arrangement with them to pay it off on the drip.
  • Amylea123
    thanks for the help. ahh my god its such a mess. Il call them up in the morning and see what I can do, the way my finances are set up at the minute I haven't got the money to pay it so theyl have to accept something ridiculous like a 5ver a week or something.
  • Bhassan
    Well this thread was started years and today I have encountered some awful service from them. I have had the policy from 16/04/2015, paid a deposit and subsequently one monthly payment in June thereafter. Today I sold my car and called to cancel my policy. They seem to think it is fair for me to pay over half the policy considering I am two months into it. Anybody else experienced and be successful with a fight?
    • rs65
    • By rs65 25th Jun 15, 7:08 PM
    • 5,358 Posts
    • 2,557 Thanks
    rs65
    Well this thread was started years and today I have encountered some awful service from them. I have had the policy from 16/04/2015, paid a deposit and subsequently one monthly payment in June thereafter. Today I sold my car and called to cancel my policy. They seem to think it is fair for me to pay over half the policy considering I am two months into it. Anybody else experienced and be successful with a fight?
    Originally posted by Bhassan
    What does your policy say about cancellation?
  • biomeddna
    Rcib
    Hi everyone,
    I've had similar issues with this company this week. Has anyone had success getting the £45 administration fee refunded? Do I need to send them a letter of complaint before contacting Financial ombudsman? I have sent several emails with no response. Can I now take my case to the financial ombudsman? Has anyone got this administration fee refunded?
    This company are unprofessional cowboys and I'll be damned if I don't get my money back!!
    Thanks
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 12th Jul 15, 12:18 PM
    • 20,693 Posts
    • 12,825 Thanks
    dacouch
    Whats the £45 for?
  • biomeddna
    They say because I entered payment details and accepted terms and conditions, it is payable. However, this was for a future purchase for which I had not received the policy yet. On receipt of the email with policy documents, I decided that the policy was not what I required. I tried to cancel and they took the full payment, then refunded it back minus the £45 administration fee.
    Help!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,307Posts Today

7,830Users online

Martin's Twitter