Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    dont_insure_with_rcib
    Car insurance - Avoid insuring with RCIB - Right Choice Insurance Brokers
    • 10th Mar 10, 7:07 PM
    Car insurance - Avoid insuring with RCIB - Right Choice Insurance Brokers 10th Mar 10 at 7:07 PM
    I will like to bring all those people searching for cheap car insurance to the attention of the sharp practices imposed by RCIB - Right Choice Insurance Brokers.

My Experience today Wednesday 10/03/2010:
    After searching numerous price comparison sites for a cheap car insurance quote, I found RCIB to be the cheapest on both confused.com and gocompare so went on to buy car insurance from them online.

The price quoted on both sites was approx 960 and this was the amount I paid for when completing payment online. However once payment complete I got a call from RCIB to confirm the details I entered to get that quote. I was extremely shocked to hear the sales rep state that I had been quoted wrongly and the actual price for insuring with them is approx 1333 (38% increase). Hearing that I asked if he could refund the amount I paid (so i can get insured elsewhere) however his reply was that I would incur an administration fee for a refund even though they (RCIB) themselves were responsible for providing me with an incorrect quotation. Having argued my point for a full refund with the sales rep (at this point i started recording the phone call, contact me for a listen) I was put on hold for over half an hour then to be told the sales manager would be in contact with me in 10 minutes. I did get this call at 4.55pm and just as i was about to explain the whole scenario I was told by this man that he finishes work at 5pm so I would have to email him the details of the issue and he will respond tomorrow.

That was my experience of Right Choice Insurance Brokers (RCIB) so let this be a warning to you all and I wish no one to ever go through the same. I am now left not knowing whether my car is insured, out of pocket and having to hitch a ride home leaving my car in the work car park (in order to avoid 6 points which is the penalty for driving without insurance)

I will persue RCIB tomorrow and let you guys know the outcome of my issue.

Please do post any suggestions as to how I could resolve this issue and get a full refund or get RCIB to honour their initial quote for car insurance. Also would be interesting to know your experiences with this insurer.

Many thanks
Page 2
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 13th Nov 12, 1:51 PM
    • 39,267 Posts
    • 23,228 Thanks
    Quentin
    If you want to raise a complaint about this you should follow their complaints procedure. This will be set out in their policy docs.

If you are unhappy with their response you can then escalate it yourself to the FOS (not the fsa)
  • Derbree
    I am in exactly the same position.
    I got insurance on go compare they called me back, because my job tutle was wrong it went up by 300.
    So i was like no i will just cancel it then! He then said i have to pay 65 cancelation fee! I was like i ain't even took it out yet!
    Then i said well i will check myself!
    I did a new quote and it come up cheaper then my original one so they are now trying to say its not right, it should'nt be like that!
    So im like why is it showing on YOUR own website then!
    They just kept saying im wrong im wrong! in the end i had to put the phone because i was so angry!
    I didnt even get a confirmation about my original quote so for all i know im driving to work with no insurance!
    Now calm today i call them they take 15 minutes to answer! the superviser Bradley is on his lunch he will call me back! 4 hours later he still hasn't!
    This company is a joke and why should they be allowed to run a business like this! this stuped country lets it happen!
    Has anyone had any luck?

Thanks
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 19th Nov 12, 5:04 PM
    • 20,693 Posts
    • 12,825 Thanks
    dacouch
    What job title did you declare, what job title have they decided is correct and what job do you actually do?
  • loubi1091
    Disgusting
    Bought insurance with rcib this march as it showed up cheapest on confused.com and appealed to me with being a student. My insurance would be a deposit and then 8 months of payments thereafter. I decided to get a new car just after paying my payments in full. Rung rcib who said i would have to start a brand new policy as i would have to go fully comp they then said to change my car would be from just over 800 to 1200 which after already enquiring with a well known firm who i could get 840 with i decided to cancel. They then tried to charge me even though id payed my full amount and i also have to send a cancellation letter was rung the following morning asking for it over email which meant i had to mess about scanning signatures and emailing this letter. Had previous trouble teying to speak to them on phone being put on hold for over half an hour each time. Never again
  • mrcholder
    I recently purchased a policy today for 630, to cut a long story short my current insurer brought my price down by 100 so i decided to stick with them, when call rcib back to cancel i was informed of a 50+ cancellation fee which i thought was horrendus as the policy wasn't due to start until January i was told to e-mail richardhudson@rcib.co.uk but deep down knew that wouldn't get me anywere, i cancelled but then called back a hour later as my blood was still boiling, i read this forum and thought i'd give it a go threatening them with FSA, FSO and i wouldn't leave until i spoke to a manager, i coinsidently came through to the same person i originally spoke to after a rant he popped me on hold, after a couple minutes he said his manager wasn't available until 11am so agreed to waive the cancellation charge. This company are serious crooks with it seems zero underwriting its like they literally pick and choose what they want, i want to thank everyone on here for there replies as without that i probably would've left those thieves to take my money. NEVER GO WITH RCIB you've been warned
  • l18amd
    Hi there,

THEIFS!!!!!!

Me and my mum had gone through the process of finding insurance for our new car which we share. we found a relevant quote with the company RCIB which is an insurance broker. we proceeded to purchase the quote online and put in our bank details immediately as soon as our bank details had been completed and submitted and payment was taken and a screen came up saying they would contact us to CONFIRM THE QUOTE. it also stated that there was no insurance in place until they had contact us. The insurance wasn't due to come into force until 07.01.2013

because of lack of time i called them instead so we could get it all settled and out of the way before new year!

I was horrified when i called them that they said we could not use the new claims earned because it was earned on a different car (i had never heard of this before does that mean when ever you get a new car you lose your no claims?) the man on the phone was rude unprofessional and not helpful at all because he said we couldn't use our no claims the quote increased in thousands of pounds. I immediately at this point caught on this was a scam and asked for a refund! they advised they would charge us a cancellation fee of 65 pounds my obvious reply was "for what??????" there hasn't be anything confirmed yet that's why we are on the phone!!! and the gentleman was determined that he was charging this cancellation fee. I reminded him that what it said on there website was THEY WOULD CONTACT US TO CONFIRM THE QUOTE AND NO INSURANCE WAS IN PLACE UNTIL THEY CALLED U ! i also reminded him that this was on the 28th of December and we didn't quote for the insurance to start until the 07th of Jan,

i then said i wasn't saying anymore till i had taken some advise. he then said he wanted to know what to do with deposit and i said i wanted it back in full and he said he wanted me to confirm i wanted a refund less there cancellation fee!! which to me was trying to get me to accept the cancellation fee which i have not done....

i came off the phone and was horrified to further find this post

CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLESE
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 29th Dec 12, 8:22 AM
    • 20,693 Posts
    • 12,825 Thanks
    dacouch
    Hi there,

THEIFS!!!!!!

Me and my mum had gone through the process of finding insurance for our new car which we share. we found a relevant quote with the company RCIB which is an insurance broker. we proceeded to purchase the quote online and put in our bank details immediately as soon as our bank details had been completed and submitted and payment was taken and a screen came up saying they would contact us to CONFIRM THE QUOTE. it also stated that there was no insurance in place until they had contact us. The insurance wasn't due to come into force until 07.01.2013

because of lack of time i called them instead so we could get it all settled and out of the way before new year!

I was horrified when i called them that they said we could not use the new claims earned because it was earned on a different car (i had never heard of this before does that mean when ever you get a new car you lose your no claims?) the man on the phone was rude unprofessional and not helpful at all because he said we couldn't use our no claims the quote increased in thousands of pounds. I immediately at this point caught on this was a scam and asked for a refund! they advised they would charge us a cancellation fee of 65 pounds my obvious reply was "for what??????" there hasn't be anything confirmed yet that's why we are on the phone!!! and the gentleman was determined that he was charging this cancellation fee. I reminded him that what it said on there website was THEY WOULD CONTACT US TO CONFIRM THE QUOTE AND NO INSURANCE WAS IN PLACE UNTIL THEY CALLED U ! i also reminded him that this was on the 28th of December and we didn't quote for the insurance to start until the 07th of Jan,

i then said i wasn't saying anymore till i had taken some advise. he then said he wanted to know what to do with deposit and i said i wanted it back in full and he said he wanted me to confirm i wanted a refund less there cancellation fee!! which to me was trying to get me to accept the cancellation fee which i have not done....

i came off the phone and was horrified to further find this post

CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLESE
    Originally posted by l18amd
    How many cars does your mother own?

How many insurances does she have?
  • old fruit
    RCI? beware!!
    much the same as others comments above - found cheap quote through price comparison site. PAID IN FULL ANNUAL PREMIUM then given a screen which stated 'your insurance not valid until we've spoken to you' .... their employee called and started questioning me about 'an alarm i had fitted to my vehicle'? (first I knew about it) when I corrected them and said I didnt have an alarm on the car and never stated I had or had fitted an alarm, I was then told in that case my insurance would be another 200 - but not to worry i could pay the extra in one months time!! I declined the insurance at that point knowing that I had 14 days cooling off period, however they had already taken the annual payment and are now saying that it will be 3 working days before they can refund!!
    Something else I noticed was that when they called me the call was from a mobile number, the operative sounded very unprofessional - calling me 'mate' - all in all I feel very uneasy about this. I will post again hopefully letting you know I have received my full refund. Otherwise its the FSA and I will also contact ALL of the price comparison websites.

additional information:
    Just a reassurance to anyone who finds themselves in the same position as myself, that is having the insurance premium payment taken before the insurance is verified, they HAVE refunded the payment to me - quite promptly too, though I did tell them that if it wasn't a prompt refund I would be contacting the financial ombudsman and ALL of the price comparison websites, pointing out their bad business practices.
    Last edited by old fruit; 08-01-2013 at 5:09 AM. Reason: additional info....
  • kaydis_mummy
    This bunch of crooks need to be stopped!! They are exactly the disgrace that gives insurance a bad name!! I have contacted FSA today regarding advice and they were amazing. Im a little more confident now but won't put it behind me until my money is refunded in full. It would have all gone un-noticed if I didn't need an urgent cover note to tax my car.... They are rude, ruthless theives. Although, I'd love to sit around all day getting paid for ignoring phones and occasionally answering them to give nothing less than abuse to innocent consumers. Im thankful to realise now before i'd paid them hundreds or god forbid needed to claim! Follow through on FOS complaints though guys, its the only way to stop these muppets x
  • soozalish
    i wouldnt reccommend RCIB at all! horrible londoners who have about 5 different companies they deal with- i had an email with the propasal forms ect and there was one for RCIB insurance brokers, one for premium credit and one for sabre car insurance?! confused much?! going with a more reputable company where you pay a little more is much better than going with a crappy little company who are rude and have stupid bloody fees to pay. WHAT A JOKE
    • rs65
    • By rs65 27th Apr 13, 9:05 AM
    • 5,358 Posts
    • 2,557 Thanks
    rs65
    i had an email with the propasal forms ect and there was one for RCIB insurance brokers, one for premium credit and one for sabre car insurance?! confused much?!
    Originally posted by soozalish
    To be fair, one is the insurer, one is the broker and one is the finance company. That's fairly normal.
  • eclipse85
    oh no
    Our renewal came up so we hit the comparison sites. RCIB where the second cheapest provider (unfortunately we were not able to contact the cheapest). They quoted us for 700, we completed the online form and were informed that somebody would contact us to confirm the details.

We later received a phone call stating that we had filled the online form in incorrectly and the premium would be significantly higher - after arguing our case we managed to get the premium back down to 700.

We then get email confirmation confirming who the insurance was underwritten by but stating that if we contact them then our policy would be terminated - is that allowed.

The email confirmation also requested a load of information that has never been requested before. It was at this point that I googled RCIB and got that "oh no" feeling. Has anybody received a good service?
  • ziyaad
    Rcib car insurance are thieves. They say a price and they call you after few hours saying a completely different price they rip people off big time. I will not advise anyone to go for right choice insurance. It shouldnt be named right choice insurance it should be called wrong choice insurance. Oh yeh to top it up the staff is absolutely rude and helpless.
  • ziyaad
    Rcib car insurance are thieves. They say a price and they call you after few hours saying a completely different price they rip people off big time. I will not advise anyone to go for right choice insurance. It shouldnt be named right choice insurance it should be called wrong choice insurance. Oh yeh to top it up the staff is absolutely rude and helpless.
  • ziyaad
    [b]rcib car insurance are thieves. They say a price and they call you after few hours saying a completely different price they rip people off big time. I will not advise anyone to go for right choice insurance. It shouldnt be named right choice insurance it should be called wrong choice insurance. Oh yeh to top it up the staff is absolutely rude and helpless.[/b]
  • paulina
    Thank God for this website and thanks to all of you sharing your story. I have the exact same experience. Being quoted yesterday 1000, being called today and told it will actually be 1700. I felt soo under pressure as the guy didn't allow me to call back in 5 min, saying he will not be able to hold the price, I stupidly agreed. Then checked other webs and realized it is not right, wanted to cancel (literally 15min later) but was told will need to pay cancellation fee 45 plus 10% premiums. I actually posted somewhere else asking for advise before I came across these posts. I will be cancelling tomorrow (as cancellation team not in today), already texted the guy who called me as it was mobile number to make sure they understand I want full deposit back or will report them. How can this company exist??
    • saidie
    • By saidie 23rd Aug 13, 12:18 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    saidie
    Wow! Stumbled on here by chance
    I've been trying to get an insurance quote for my dad and RCIB came up very cheap. I was ready to purchase but decided to google if there was any cashback available. This forum came up. So glad, I didn't purchase. I hope all you guys managed to resolve the issues with them.
  • Jankinn
    Same with me. They were the cheapest quote on GoCompare so I took them out but they added around 100 to the quote. I accepted but then they did everything in their power to try to make me cancel. they were very difficult about the documentation I sent over (license etc), I had just moved house so my addresses didn't match, saying that the pics were blurry, then they said they needed a picture of the back of my photocard license, then that wasnt right either. They were constantly sending me letters saying they were going to cancel my subscription if I didn't give them this or that. It got so bad that I took their number into the hospital with me when I gave birth to my daughter so I could sort it out if they threatened to to cancel while I was in there!! Whenever I phoned to sort it out they would be difficult to contact and would pass you around several phones, I was once redirected incorrectly 5 times in one call, after waiting 10 minutes for an answer

I sent them my named drivers license and they asked for something else, cant remember what now .I said I was going to call Aviva and complain. They dropped everything and sent my policy document immediately.

Basically this company want you to cancel so they can make a quick buck. now that my policy is nearly done I intend to complain to both Aviva and the FSA.
  • AbdulBari
    I wish i had read this thread before i purchased insurance with this company. I bought insurance online for 649. Someone phones me to go over the details and then tells me that the price is 798 because I did not write in my correct occupation.
  • Ash.
    As mentioned by few other members, i wish i read this thread before giving these thieves my money. My insurance finishes in 3 days, went through multiple comparison sites to find the cheapest quote. These guys weren't the cheapest but had quoted 20 more than the cheapest offer but these guys came with a few more extras. Quote was roughly 740, paid it off, received an email saying i wouldn't be insured until they rang me to verify my information. I got tired of waiting so i rang them, got put through to the sales department, even though i had paid for their insurance. The guy on the phone goes through my details and i confirm everything until it came to my occupation, what he tells me is correct, but he tells me he has to check something with his manager, puts me on hold, comes back a few minutes later and tells me due to my occupation, what i paid for was wrong and that my actual quote was for 1100, he tells me to disregard it as he has a cheaper quote from another company that will quote me 790, i tell him straight that my current insurance provider has quoted me a value of 744, which he tells me that he will go back to his manager and get another value, few minutes later comes back with 750, which at this point I'm still confused as to why i have to pay more even though i was quoted something else which i paid for already. So few minutes pass and i just get fed up and agree to pay the 20, he tells me due to me paying the amount fully, id have to pay the 20 the following month interest free, i tell him i want to get this over and done with and pay it right now, he agrees, now this is the point where i just got frustrated , the person wanted a photo of both sides of my credit card, i just couldn't understand why, no other company has ever asked me for a photo for my card. I tell him i can't provide it as i don't feel its secure to be handing a company a photo of my credit card, which at this point i said, give me a refund. Nothing happened for an hour, hour later ring them back up and get a confirmation email for a refund of the value. Will need to confirm this with my back but for now it seems its alright.

tl:dr; you pay what you get quoted, receive email you will need to confirm your details over the phone to be insured with them, on the phone they find excuses and reasons to bump the price up.

Never deal with this company, your life will be better if you just avoid them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

161Posts Today

1,919Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin